4.3 update.

Search This thread
Oct 11, 2012
Evansville
I have a note 2 I am running 4.4.2 Probam and love it. I just bought another note 2 for my wife and its 4.1.2. I plan on rooting but probably no custom ROMs. Just debloating on my own. Should I update to 4.3 or stay at where I am?
I have never updated my bootloader and use 4.3 touchwiz ROMs fine with devil kernel. What's my best move from some expertise experience. Not a nooby but not a developer. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

softballjunkee13

Apr 27, 2011
I have a note 2 I am running 4.4.2 Probam and love it. I just bought another note 2 for my wife and its 4.1.2. I plan on rooting but probably no custom ROMs. Just debloating on my own. Should I update to 4.3 or stay at where I am?
I have never updated my bootloader and use 4.3 touchwiz ROMs fine with devil kernel. What's my best move from some expertise experience. Not a nooby but not a developer. Thanks

It honestly depends on ur plans for that phone. If u never plan on rooting it I would definitely update to 4.3 using the ota. But that's just a personal opinion. If ur planning on rooting I wouldn't update to 4.3 using the ATT ota. If u update to ota 4.3 anytime u use odin it will trip the Knox counter. And then chance for a warranty replacement if u need it is slim to none. If ur planning on rooting there a a few really solid TW 4.3 roms out there with no worries about Knox.

Sent from my Note 2 running MEAN MUTHA F'N BEAN????

dicksteele

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 4, 2010
California
4.1.2 is solid. Since it's your wife's phone, personal experience allows me to say leave it be. Lord help me if Candy Crush doesn't work.....

But you have an option.

A time saver to get to 4.3 and rooted on your current bootloader would be this.,,

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2589891
AT&T UCUBMK6 i317 *Odexed* Stock ODIN Note 2

It's already rooted, all you have to do is debloat with Titanium BU or whatever.

From the thread -----> If you *are not* running Official 4.3 (MK6) or newer bootloader: After flashing one of the firmware packages above (the Stock ODIN) flash the bootloader package below in Odin to get wifi working (sorry, no option available for CWM/TWRP). I've included the Odin executable just after if needed.
Bootloader needs to be flashed only once. See post #2 for information on how to check what version of bootloader you have installed.

This is what you will flash:
AT&T i317 ODIN 4.3 UCUBMJ4 (Leak) Bootloader & TZ (AT&T Note 2 ONLY)

This bootloader will not trip Knox.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2012
Evansville
Thanks. Not worried about warranties. I rooted it at 4.1.2. I'd I update OTA to 4.3 am I still able to put a custom recovery on it? Kinda confused if the 4.3 update locks the bootloader and lastly wasn't the at&t s4 bootloader able to be unlocked when it first came out? Soon after a OTA broke the root. If so then why wouldn't a brand new one out of box be able to have bootloader unlocked just as the phones come with the same firmware version and not updated until bought. Just wondering.

dabloc123

Feb 25, 2014
Thanks. Not worried about warranties. I rooted it at 4.1.2. I'd I update OTA to 4.3 am I still able to put a custom recovery on it? Kinda confused if the 4.3 update locks the bootloader and lastly wasn't the at&t s4 bootloader able to be unlocked when it first came out? Soon after a OTA broke the root. If so then why wouldn't a brand new one out of box be able to have bootloader unlocked just as the phones come with the same firmware version and not updated until bought. Just wondering.

Check this here, it should answer your questions.

I am not too sure about the S4.
I recently got a refurbished Note 2 that came with the 4.3 firmware (my original note 2 broke), MK6 booloader. According to this link, If your phone is running the MK6 bootloader, It is not possible AS OF NOW to revert to the previous bootloader MJ4. You can put CWM recovery and custom roms on your 4.3 build but I don't think they are too stable as of now. I have not tried it yet.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2012
Evansville
I have at&t note 2 and never updated to 4.3 like I said before but when I flashed a 4.3 tw ROM WiFi wouldnt work like you said. Instead of doing the Odin bootloader thing I just flashed the devel kernel and everything went good. WiFi works flawless. Devil kernel works on toichwiz and aosp. My question is would it be better to do that and leave the bootloader alone?

Oct 11, 2012
Evansville
The note 2 I got last Friday is 4.1.2. The only reason I didn't get the note 3 is this whole bootloader crap. T-Mobile is really starting to look good from here

Oct 11, 2012
Evansville
To not confuse. I have had my note 2. Just got my wife the other one. I don't think I am going to update it at all. Just to make sure I rooted hers with framaroot and stopped any ota 4.3 from slipping by.

Oct 11, 2012
Evansville
One last question. Not sure if we already touched this or not. On your at&t 4.3 note 2 can you put a custom recovery cwm?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    4.1.2 is solid. Since it's your wife's phone, personal experience allows me to say leave it be. Lord help me if Candy Crush doesn't work.....

But you have an option.

A time saver to get to 4.3 and rooted on your current bootloader would be this.,,

AT&T UCUBMK6 i317 *Odexed* Stock ODIN Note 2

It's already rooted, all you have to do is debloat with Titanium BU or whatever.

From the thread -----> If you *are not* running Official 4.3 (MK6) or newer bootloader: After flashing one of the firmware packages above (the Stock ODIN) flash the bootloader package below in Odin to get wifi working (sorry, no option available for CWM/TWRP). I've included the Odin executable just after if needed.
    Bootloader needs to be flashed only once. See post #2 for information on how to check what version of bootloader you have installed.

This is what you will flash:
    AT&T i317 ODIN 4.3 UCUBMJ4 (Leak) Bootloader & TZ (AT&T Note 2 ONLY)

This bootloader will not trip Knox.