[GUIDE] Dual booting on the HTC Wildfire.

Search This thread

lo2ay

This is a guide that shows you how to dual boot multiple android ROMs, and it's possible that these ROMs have different android versions :)
I'll be using boot manager application in this guide. It's not my app, I didn't develop it and I didn't help in developing it in any way.
The application doesn't touch you internal memory at all. It just makes .img files for the system, data, cashe and boot. It also makes a .android_secure folder.
So any change made will be in the SDcard not in the Internal memory.
That's enough talking, now here are the steps for installing a ROM and booting to it. But before you do anything, make a Nandroid backup (just in case if something goes wrong)

1- Open market (play store) and download Boot manager (lite or pro, but I will be using the lite version in this guide)
2- Open the app. It will make the first time configuration in which it will download about 3~4 MBs.
3- [IMPORTANT !!] Setup your phone ROM. This creates a boot image file for your current ROM so you can boot back again to your original ROM.
4- After that, swipe to go to the first ROM slot. Press install zip button, choose your ROM's zip file location, then check the three boxes (system, data & cashe). Then press okay, then choose which file system you will be using.
Now it's creating files for your ROM inside /SDcard/BootManager/rom1.
You can see the progress in the notification dropdown menu. Try not to use your phone while installing because it will be very slow and laggy.
5- Now it's time to install gapps or any other mod you want to install. Do the same steps as the ROM installation but this time don't check any box. If your ROM doesn't include gapps then you MUST install it as boot manager needs to check your license.
6- Now you can boot to the installed ROM. JUST press boot ROM :)

The booting process will probably take more time than usual. That's normal don't worry about it.

OK now you're on a SDcard ROM and you want to go back to your phone (original) ROM. Just open boot manager, swipe to phone ROM then press boot ROM. It's that simple :D

Some problems I had:
When I wanted to go back to my phone ROM, it doesn't boot, it just open the recovery and it doesn't want to reboot properly.
Solution:
Make an advanced restore for the system from the recovery then boot. If it didn't work then make another advanced restore for boot. That's the only solution I have found till now.

Tips and Tricks:
1- If the performance is slow, overclock the device.
2- Use SDcard booster, it's found on the play store.
3- Also use swapper, also found on play store.
4- You can also edit some details, as the ROM and kernel name and screenshots.
5- If you were using the lite version you WILL find the paid one in the SDcard ROMs. But don't be happy as it won't open. Just uninstall it and then install the lite version again from the play store.
6- If you are like me, in a country in which billing in android market is disabled or you just don't want to pay for the pro version, do the following:

Although the lite version has only one rom slot but it creates 5 folders rom1, rom2,.... etc
And it only creates the files in the rom1 folder
Let's say for example you are running CM7 as your daily driver and you want rom1 to be LeWaOS and Rom2 to be CM9 KANG.
It's quite simple, first install CM9 normally, it will be installed to Rom1 folder. Then copy every file in that folder to rom2 folder and delete the contents of .android_secure folder in rom1, then install LeWaOS normally.
If you want to boot into LeWaOS u can boot normally using boot manager. If you want cm9 then copy the files inside Rom2 folder back to Rom1 then boot normally through boot manager

SCREENSHOTS
uploadfromtaptalk1333996518003.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1333996592124.jpg

Last edited:

Scratch0805

Jun 18, 2011
Sheffield
I haven't used it for ages, I bought it months ago but imo its simpler, the rom runs a little smoother, its less buggy and doesn't take up as much room on your sd card just to do a nandroid of every rom, then just switch them that way. Unless you'd rather have the novelty factor of using an App to do it.

A few things I noticed was it wouldn't work on cm7 no matter what I did, even with support from the developer (that may be fixed now though) on a sense based rom it worked first time everytime so if anyone has a problem with it not writing on the images switch your main rom to a sense based one.

It changes the boot path to direct it to the sd card so if you get stuck on the splash screen simply booting into recovery and advanced restoring the boot image should put things right again, as far as I know it doesn't touch the system partition so you shouldn't need to restore that. (saves a few minutes)

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using xda premium

lo2ay

I haven't used it for ages, I bought it months ago but imo its simpler, the rom runs a little smoother, its less buggy and doesn't take up as much room on your sd card just to do a nandroid of every rom, then just switch them that way. Unless you'd rather have the novelty factor of using an App to do it.

A few things I noticed was it wouldn't work on cm7 no matter what I did, even with support from the developer (that may be fixed now though) on a sense based rom it worked first time everytime so if anyone has a problem with it not writing on the images switch your main rom to a sense based one.

It changes the boot path to direct it to the sd card so if you get stuck on the splash screen simply booting into recovery and advanced restoring the boot image should put things right again, as far as I know it doesn't touch the system partition so you shouldn't need to restore that. (saves a few minutes)

I already know that it doesn't touch the system partition and I tried restoring boot only but it didn't reboot. I had to restore system also. It's not a logical solution but it works for me :D
And sometimes restoring the system only works too
My mobile must be always different than other's mobiles I don't know why but it does :D

Sent from my still alive, ICS capable HTC Wildfire.

lo2ay

If you are like me, in a country in which billing in android market is disabled or you just don't want to pay for the pro version, do the following:

Although the lite version has only one rom slot but it creates 5 folders rom1, rom2,.... etc
Let's say for example you are running CM7 as your daily driver and you want rom1 to be LeWaOS and Rom2 to be CM9 KANG.
It's quite simple, first install CM9 normally, it will be installed to Rom1 folder. Then copy every file in that folder to rom2 folder and delete the contents of .android_secure folder in rom1, then install LeWaOS normally.
If you want to boot into LeWaOS u can boot normally using boot manager. If you want cm9 then copy the files inside Rom2 folder back to Rom1 then boot normally through boot manager

Last edited:

rocker86

Aug 12, 2011
Kolkata
If you are like me, in a country in which billing in android market is disabled or you just don't want to pay for the pro version, do the following:

Thanks for the guide...it is working fine...no issues in switching between Roms..
Scratch was right..my phone rom is Rempuzzle and Sd card Rom is Lewa..Since Rempuzzle is a sense Rom ..it didnt give me any sort of pain...
Those who wants to try take the base rom as a Sense and then try experimenting...
Bye bye good nite...

lo2ay

Thanks for the guide...it is working fine...no issues in switching between Roms..
Scratch was right..my phone rom is Rempuzzle and Sd card Rom is Lewa..Since Rempuzzle is a sense Rom ..it didnt give me any sort of pain...
Those who wants to try take the base rom as a Sense and then try experimenting...
Bye bye good nite...

I'm on cm7 and it works fine except when I want to go back to the phone Rom. I have to make an advanced restore for boot and system first

Sent from my still alive, ICS capable HTC Wildfire.

LucidSomnia

May 28, 2011
Paphos
So if it doesn't touch the system, i suppose there is no problem for people with custom mtd partitions? (Due to boot a rom, installing bravo-boot.zip is required)

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Reactions: deface01

Scratch0805

Jun 18, 2011
Sheffield
So if it doesn't touch the system, i suppose there is no problem for people with custom mtd partitions? (Due to boot a rom, installing bravo-boot.zip is required)

It creates a new system.img 250mb on the sd card, not sure if you can physically change that but your original mtd should be fine.

Why don't you test it out?
i didn't use mtd because i had to use sense as a base just to get the app to work, as previously mentioned i have no need for this app now, nandroids work just fine.

Last edited:

dcos

Nov 24, 2010
Koprivnica

I'm using custom MTD partitions and can confirm that there are no problems with using this.
Primary ROM is CM7.2 and secondary is CM9, only issue is that when going back to primary, you need to do advanced restore of system.

Reactions: LucidSomnia

lo2ay

I must say the following.
A few days ago I encountered another problem while returning back to the phone rom, in my case it's CM7. Some of my apps got deleted. I don't know what caused or why did it happen. They were about 4 or 5 apps. They weren't uninstalled completely as the data remained but the app itself got deleted.

Sent from my CM7 powered Egyptian HTC Wildfire.

saadislam

May 28, 2010
Riyadh
my phone refuses to boot in the sdrom.. i have tried both cm7 and sense rom as base... i have tried installing cm7, cm9, and sense rom on sd rom slot.. i am using lite version... logcat attached...

Attachments

• logcat.txt
    288 bytes · Views: 20

FGOD

May 22, 2011
my phone refuses to boot in the sdrom.. i have tried both cm7 and sense rom as base... i have tried installing cm7, cm9, and sense rom on sd rom slot.. i am using lite version... logcat attached...

having the same problem.having Rempuzzle as a phone ROM and tried the nexus cm7.2 ROM as sd ROM.but when I press boot to ROM it only gives access to root but then nothing but when I reboot manually it was locked into fastboot.had to recover my ROM from nandroid.

Welcome to the end of your life, hail the oceanborn

ak0r

Jul 20, 2011
Pune
having the same problem.having Rempuzzle as a phone ROM and tried the nexus cm7.2 ROM as sd ROM.but when I press boot to ROM it only gives access to root but then nothing but when I reboot manually it was locked into fastboot.had to recover my ROM from nandroid.

Welcome to the end of your life, hail the oceanborn

Facing the same problem. Any working solution for this?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a guide that shows you how to dual boot multiple android ROMs, and it's possible that these ROMs have different android versions :)
    I'll be using boot manager application in this guide. It's not my app, I didn't develop it and I didn't help in developing it in any way.
    The application doesn't touch you internal memory at all. It just makes .img files for the system, data, cashe and boot. It also makes a .android_secure folder.
    So any change made will be in the SDcard not in the Internal memory.
    That's enough talking, now here are the steps for installing a ROM and booting to it. But before you do anything, make a Nandroid backup (just in case if something goes wrong)

1- Open market (play store) and download Boot manager (lite or pro, but I will be using the lite version in this guide)
    2- Open the app. It will make the first time configuration in which it will download about 3~4 MBs.
    3- [IMPORTANT !!] Setup your phone ROM. This creates a boot image file for your current ROM so you can boot back again to your original ROM.
    4- After that, swipe to go to the first ROM slot. Press install zip button, choose your ROM's zip file location, then check the three boxes (system, data & cashe). Then press okay, then choose which file system you will be using.
    Now it's creating files for your ROM inside /SDcard/BootManager/rom1.
    You can see the progress in the notification dropdown menu. Try not to use your phone while installing because it will be very slow and laggy.
    5- Now it's time to install gapps or any other mod you want to install. Do the same steps as the ROM installation but this time don't check any box. If your ROM doesn't include gapps then you MUST install it as boot manager needs to check your license.
    6- Now you can boot to the installed ROM. JUST press boot ROM :)

The booting process will probably take more time than usual. That's normal don't worry about it.

OK now you're on a SDcard ROM and you want to go back to your phone (original) ROM. Just open boot manager, swipe to phone ROM then press boot ROM. It's that simple :D

Some problems I had:
    When I wanted to go back to my phone ROM, it doesn't boot, it just open the recovery and it doesn't want to reboot properly.
    Solution:
    Make an advanced restore for the system from the recovery then boot. If it didn't work then make another advanced restore for boot. That's the only solution I have found till now.

Tips and Tricks:
    1- If the performance is slow, overclock the device.
    2- Use SDcard booster, it's found on the play store.
    3- Also use swapper, also found on play store.
    4- You can also edit some details, as the ROM and kernel name and screenshots.
    5- If you were using the lite version you WILL find the paid one in the SDcard ROMs. But don't be happy as it won't open. Just uninstall it and then install the lite version again from the play store.
    6- If you are like me, in a country in which billing in android market is disabled or you just don't want to pay for the pro version, do the following:

SCREENSHOTS
    uploadfromtaptalk1333996518003.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1333996592124.jpg

I'm using custom MTD partitions and can confirm that there are no problems with using this.
    Primary ROM is CM7.2 and secondary is CM9, only issue is that when going back to primary, you need to do advanced restore of system.