[Q][M919N] Odin giving "Fail! (Auth)" error with two different errors on phone side?

Search This thread

Roxie Mika

Jan 21, 2011
Chicagoland
roxie.nyc
[Q][M919N] Odin giving "Fail! (Auth)" error with two different errors on phone side?

So, I have a MetroPCS S4 on my hands. It was on Metro's 4.3 release prior to rooting and installing custom recovery, and I can't seem to get it back to stock with Odin by any means. When I try flashing the MF2 TAR, the phone says "SW REV CHECK FAIL (fused 4, binary 1)". I tried flashing an NB4 TAR, and I got "SECURE CHECK FAIL : aboot" instead. Either way, I get "Fail! (Auth)" and the process ends.
The main reason I'm trying to flash any TAR in general is because it's a 32GB phone but the ROMs I've installed say that there is only about 9GB of internal storage available, which seems like the type of space that a 16GB phone might have. So if there's any way to fix the internal storage space, that'd be great too. Please help me out!

The Sickness

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 27, 2012
Somewhere in Texas
So, I have a MetroPCS S4 on my hands. It was on Metro's 4.3 release prior to rooting and installing custom recovery, and I can't seem to get it back to stock with Odin by any means. When I try flashing the MF2 TAR, the phone says "SW REV CHECK FAIL (fused 4, binary 1)". I tried flashing an NB4 TAR, and I got "SECURE CHECK FAIL : aboot" instead. Either way, I get "Fail! (Auth)" and the process ends.
The main reason I'm trying to flash any TAR in general is because it's a 32GB phone but the ROMs I've installed say that there is only about 9GB of internal storage available, which seems like the type of space that a 16GB phone might have. So if there's any way to fix the internal storage space, that'd be great too. Please help me out!

You need to download the tar file again. Sounds like a bad download.
Phone side? You need to put the tar file in the PDA slot

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
You need at least 4.3 firmware to flash, sounds like you're trying to flash 4.2.2.. As a future note, do not try to flash other device's firmware, it could cause a brick

Roxie Mika

Jan 21, 2011
Chicagoland
roxie.nyc
You need at least 4.3 firmware to flash, sounds like you're trying to flash 4.2.2.. As a future note, do not try to flash other device's firmware, it could cause a brick
That's... embarrassing. I guess I just assumed that since it was the only Odin TAR available on that forum, it must have been the 4.3 TAR. Oof. ;;

I only tried flashing the T-Mobile 4.4.2 TAR because I was assured that the Tmo and Metro S4 were, for almost all intents and purposes, the same phone. That said, I got it back on its feet, so to speak. I flashed the NB4 modem and a rooted stock NB4 ROM, and everything's all peachy. Thanks for the proverbial bop to the side of the head. :)

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
That's... embarrassing. I guess I just assumed that since it was the only Odin TAR available on that forum, it must have been the 4.3 TAR. Oof. ;;

I only tried flashing the T-Mobile 4.4.2 TAR because I was assured that the Tmo and Metro S4 were, for almost all intents and purposes, the same phone. That said, I got it back on its feet, so to speak. I flashed the NB4 modem and a rooted stock NB4 ROM, and everything's all peachy. Thanks for the proverbial bop to the side of the head. :)
Good! And while yes they are practically the same device, it's not good practice to just flash similar devices firmware.

Kriptik210

May 21, 2013
Crystal River
I have Metro and flash everything that T-Mobile Devs put out and I have no issues.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app