Question to keep my unlimited plan.

Search This thread

madzozs

Oct 15, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
So I'm going to be adding my fiance onto my plan(currently a single line with unlimited data) and am able to keep my unlimited while just getting her a 2gb plan. My line has an upgrade available and I was hoping to take advantage of the BOGO deal for the M8 by purchasing a new one for her line, then swapping the new phone to my line and my upgrade to her line and getting the 2nd one that way. I was told that's a no go.

Is there anyway I can make use of that deal without adding a 3rd unneeded line? Or can I just buy her phone today with the new contract, switch my upgrade to her line in a few days and then go buy another one at the 2year contract price without me losing my unlimited?

Possibly doing this tonight or tomorrow, just wanted to see the best option.

jessbowring

Jul 20, 2012
Saco
So I'm going to be adding my fiance onto my plan(currently a single line with unlimited data) and am able to keep my unlimited while just getting her a 2gb plan. My line has an upgrade available and I was hoping to take advantage of the BOGO deal for the M8 by purchasing a new one for her line, then swapping the new phone to my line and my upgrade to her line and getting the 2nd one that way. I was told that's a no go.

Is there anyway I can make use of that deal without adding a 3rd unneeded line? Or can I just buy her phone today with the new contract, switch my upgrade to her line in a few days and then go buy another one at the 2year contract price without me losing my unlimited?

You can't switch your upgrade to her line, you will lose data still I believe

justin94

Oct 31, 2010
You should be able to switch your upgrade to her line without messing with your unlimited. I think your best option would be to just ass 2 lines and get the bogo for them. This way u always have. that 3rd line available to bounce upgrades off of.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using xda app-developers app

bsbuggs

Mar 6, 2012
Chicago

In order to do the switch it has to be done via my verizon web.....first add her new line ..get phone.....then on my verizon(after her phone is active and set up), do the transfer upgrade tab...transfer dorm your unlimited line to her line...order phone.....once phone arrives activate on her line for a little while....then switch to your line.....
The unlimited line will now have a new 2 year contract and unlimited will remain...
Win

bsbuggs

Mar 6, 2012
Chicago
When I asked about transferring my upgrade to my daughter's line they said I would still lose my data. Her line would get the phone but my contract would be extended and would lose my data with the new contract.

That's why you don't ask....they are clueless the customer serv reps...I have done this 10 times....never lost unlimited....all has to be done in my verizon...site ..no reps involved..

lucky_strike33

That's why you don't ask....they are clueless the customer serv reps...I have done this 10 times....never lost unlimited....all has to be done in my verizon...site ..no reps involved..

I tried to order the m8 on the verizon site and when I get to the order page it automatically sends me to a more everything plan and there is no stand alone plan to choose from. What am I doing wrong here?

I have 2 unlimited data lines already and want to add 2 more lines to take advantage of the buy one get one free m8s.

bsbuggs

Mar 6, 2012
Chicago
When I asked about transferring my upgrade to my daughter's line they said I would still lose my data. Her line would get the phone but my contract would be extended and would lose my data with the new contract.

Was you daughter on a smartphone line....
From my experience having the line as a dumb line --no smartphone on there makes the switch. Flawless the system sees the switch as new money coming in as a new smartphone plan...so if you were to reduce your daughters line to a dumb line..no data...then do the transfer upgrade from unlimited line to her now dumb line you then choose a new 2gb plan for Just her line...you will see all the changes just before you agree and place order...
Plan would look like....9.99 for the add a line( daughter)
29.99 for unlimited data ---you
Your minute plan lets say 700 just for example..50.00
Then another 29.99 for your daughters dats pln(new one)
Done...

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

I tried to order the m8 on the verizon site and when I get to the order page it automatically sends me to a more everything plan and there is no stand alone plan to choose from. What am I doing wrong here?

I have 2 unlimited data lines already and want to add 2 more lines to take advantage of the buy one get one free m8s.
Now when adding. Lines YOU should see an option to just add more lines to your nationwide plan and then each new phone would have its own 29.99. Each individual 2gb data pln...
I have had this happen to me before as well when adding new lines.....I stop and call customer service...as adding
Ones is a lot different than. Transferring upgrades....

madzozs

Oct 15, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
It won't let me quote bsbuggs for some reason.

So I added her line and kept my unlimited since she only needed the 2gb plan. Got her a new m8 and got it hooked up at the store. Came home, and went online to swap upgrades and bought the new phone for in store pickup tomorrow morning. I'll activate it on her line tomorrow after she's out of work and then activate the one from today on my line.

So far it looks like it's gonna work. I'll check tomorrow on my Verizon account and hopefully mine stays unlimited.

bsbuggs

Mar 6, 2012
Chicago
It won't let me quote bsbuggs for some reason.

So I added her line and kept my unlimited since she only needed the 2gb plan. Got her a new m8 and got it hooked up at the store. Came home, and went online to swap upgrades and bought the new phone for in store pickup tomorrow morning. I'll activate it on her line tomorrow after she's out of work and then activate the one from today on my line.

So far it looks like it's gonna work. I'll check tomorrow on my Verizon account and hopefully mine stays unlimited.

you will be good..

gregory_classy

Feb 21, 2013
I was able to upgrade to the M8 AND keep my unlimited data.

My plan:
Phone A - smartphone with upgrade eligibility
Phone B - smartphone (my phone)
Phone C - flip phone ($9.99/month)

Step 1: Transferred upgrade from Phone A to Phone C, and ordered M8.
Step 2: Activate M8 on Phone C (very important). Plan goes up to $29.99 data plan (only temporary though).
Step 3: Add flip phone back as Phone C, plan drops back to $9.99/month.
Step 4: Add M8 as Phone B.

Reactions: PerCompLLC

Abe21599

Apr 13, 2009

My plan:

Step 2: Activate M8 on Phone C (very important). Plan goes up to $29.99 data plan (only temporary though).

Where is the "transfer upgrade" button on vzw.com? care to walk me through how you get the upgrade from one line to another?

jessbowring

Jul 20, 2012
Saco
I just upgraded my daughter's line then transferred the phone to mine after. It's how I've been doing upgrades since Verizon decided to do away with unlimited.

gregory_classy

Feb 21, 2013
Where is the "transfer upgrade" button on vzw.com? care to walk me through how you get the upgrade from one line to another?

Select upgrade phone from the main screen after logging in. The next screen should list all your devices. If you're eligible, they'll be a link under the phones to transfer.

replica9000

May 31, 2009
I've kept unlimited with both my M7 and M8. The M7 I purchased from Best Buy, the M8 I purchased at a VZW store.

Abe21599

Apr 13, 2009
Select upgrade phone from the main screen after logging in. The next screen should list all your devices. If you're eligible, they'll be a link under the phones to transfer.

All 3 devices on my account are eligible for an upgrade. I suppose this is why I can't transfer an upgrade

Sent from my g2 using Tapatalk

bsbuggs

Mar 6, 2012
Chicago
All 3 devices on my account are eligible for an upgrade. I suppose this is why I can't transfer an upgrade

Sent from my g2 using Tapatalk

CORRECT... cant transfer until you burn an upgrade.. NOW remember if lets say 3 of your lines a re unlimited and you transfer an upgrade by by unlimited...

best to have a dumb line on the account as the transfer line... safest way.

Last edited:

dadsterflip

Aug 31, 2010

My plan:

This works when the upgrade is on the unlimited line? my phone? Does it have to have 3 lines?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

My plan:

Ok. But when the phone gets here. Use the sim from the dummy line not mine right. This is a proven track method? Just scared to loose my last unlimited line lol.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Right. Make sure the new phone is activated on the dumb line before you attempt to swap it to your unlimited line.
    How long do you need to keep the phone activated on the line you ordered it for before switching it to your line? Thanks!

I had it active as long add it took to drive home ( less than 10 minutes) and swap the SIM... And put the new SIM in my wife's phone (she's the line I transferred my upgrade to)
    And after a botched attempt to cut my SIM down I called tech support to activate her old SIM onto my line

sent from:)::§:::)