[Discontinued] Unlock VZW GSIII for use on other networks (No data on GSM currently)

Search This thread

AtLemacks

Aug 22, 2011
Mishawaka, Indiana
plus.google.com
If we used a custom ROM we would have to remove the kernel and radios. But it may work. I just want to push the apn's in addition to ours, or possibly build a script we can use when switching SIM cards.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

JDMpire

Nov 21, 2008
Philly & Bangkok
Just had to stop by and say that this is an excellent thread. Thanks to the OP. This is going to help me tremendously in my overseas trips--I just wasn't sure if my VZW GS III is capable of this or not. I will put my AT&T SIM card in my [VZW] GS III this afternoon to see how it works.

By the way, if anyone is as lazy as I am to not want to type the *#*#***##**** (or whatever that string is!) to pull up the network screen, guess what? There's an App for that--literally... I saw it in another thread but can't remember the original poster to credit them... but here it is (it's called Phone Info): https://play.google.com/store/apps/...neInfo&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

Can someone actually post up that code. THe LTE changer app always crashes on my phone. Ill have to do it manually.

nforce4

Nov 4, 2007
shenzhen
Can someone actually post up that code. THe LTE changer app always crashes on my phone. Ill have to do it manually.

it's easy to use other carriers,

i got a Verizon Galaxy S3 in 7.17

I can use simcard both of china telecom 、china mobile 、china unicom,

verizon galaxy s3 I535 is a global phone,

it supports gsm、wcmda、cdma network

you install a apnedit tool,

then you can edit the apns and get data

Last edited:

mybook4

Apr 3, 2011
*#*#4636#*#*

Worked on beans custom rom. Not sure if it works on stock.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

AtLemacks

Aug 22, 2011
Mishawaka, Indiana
plus.google.com

looks to me like you don't have data.

lair@nc.rr.com

Sep 7, 2011
Can someone summarize and clarify this thread?

I miss the fact that my SGS3 was not sold as a world phone like my Inc2. But I had read that there was the possibility that a later Verizon update might allow this capability for the SGS3 in the future. Now I read this thread and I am confused??

So for those of us with rooted phones I'd like to understand the following...

(1) Are our phones really capable of using domestic and/or international GSM SIM card use with the stock ROM from here (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1756885) without any software updates?

From phonescoop.com -
Samsung Galaxy S III (Verizon)
LTE 750
CDMA 850 / 1900
GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
GSM supported only with update after launch

(2) If so, does anything need to change other than (a) the Device Info setting accessed through the Phone Info app and (b) the APN settings accessed through the APN Manager app?

(3) At what point is an unlock code required? In the past for my Inc2, I spoke with Verizon Global Services at 800-711-8300 and received an unlock code which was entered when I was overseas and put in the local country SIM card. When I spoke with Global Services today, they could not give me an unlock code as they said the phone was not capable at this time and was not in their system.

(4) Do I have to load a different ROM than what I have?

(5) Is there a US GSM micro-SIM I can get from a local outlet that would have a small amount of phone and data that I could use to test out how this might work?

(6) Are there any major issues that have developed that should discourage this attempt?

Last edited:

newuser134

Dec 18, 2009

Can you post some exact directions on how you did this, and what apnedit app you used?

Thanks

nforce4

Nov 4, 2007
shenzhen
I miss the fact that my SGS3 was not sold as a world phone like my Inc2. But I had read that there was the possibility that a later Verizon update might allow this capability for the SGS3 in the future. Now I read this thread and I am confused??

(1) Are our phones really capable of using domestic and/or international GSM SIM card use with the stock ROM from here (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1756885) without any software updates?

From phonescoop.com -
LTE 750
CDMA 850 / 1900

(2) If so, does anything need to change other than (a) the Device Info setting accessed through the Phone Info app and (b) the APN settings accessed through the APN Manager app?

(3) At what point is an unlock code required? In the past for my Inc2, I spoke with Verizon Global Services at 800-711-8300 and received an unlock code which was entered when I was overseas and put in the local country SIM card. When I spoke with Global Services today, they could not give me an unlock code as they said the phone was not capable at this time and was not in their system.

(5) Is there a US GSM micro-SIM I can get from a local outlet that would have a small amount of phone and data that I could use to test out how this might work?

(6) Are there any major issues that have developed that should discourage this attempt?

Yes it's obviously support all gsm、wcmda and cdma network,

gsm 850、900、1800、1900MHZ

wcdma 2100MHZ

cdma 800、1900MHZ

i‘m in china,

it has 3 operators, china mobile supports gsm and tdscdma, the frequency band: GSM 900、1800 TD-SCDMA 1900MHZ、2000MHZ

china unicom supports gsm and wcdma, GSM 900、1800 WCDMA 2100MHZ

china telecom supports cdma and evdo, CDMA、EVDO 800MHZ

i test 3 simcards of these 3 operators,

call、sms and data all supported ,

China mobile has LTE Network,but its TD-LTE 2300MHZ、2600MHZ,not the same as USA 700MHZ LTE FDD, MSM 8960 supports,but cannot use,

it lacks RF module

its the picture:

Attachments

• EDGE.jpg
    EDGE.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 450
Last edited:
Reactions: newuser134

newuser134

Dec 18, 2009

From phonescoop.com -
LTE 750
CDMA 850 / 1900

(1) According to the |OP|, if you are unrooted, when you put in a domestic gsm sim, the phone forces you to enter a generic code to unlock the ability to use other sim cards. I am rooted with the "stock" rooted rom from the same thread by invisiblek that you posted in your question. I was able to cut my T-Mobile prepaid sim card into a micro sim and use it in the SGS3 (although the sim was a little too thick and slightly difficult to retrieve when trying to get it back out), and YES, after using phone info to switch to GSM/WCDMA/LTE mode, it picked up full T-Mobile signal and I had voice and messaging with full signal. Due to the apn settings being locked on this phone though, I was unable to connect to an apn and get data, so for now, only voice, no data, with gsm sim card. It did however NOT ask me for a code the way it did from |OP|, I was rooted, he wasn't, so we're guessing that's the reason for no codes. So yes, it was confirmed that it will let you use a domestic sim either rooted (no code required) or unrooted (unlcok code required), but without data for now.

(2) No

(3) When you turn the phone on with a different sim (if you're unrooted). Verizon supposedly provided some generic sim unlock codes in the contract that you were signing when (and if) you preordered. That's where the |OP| got his codes from. Although it never asks for codes if you're rooted, it does give you a continuous "ongoing" notification in the notification pull-down that says "non-Verizon sim", and you get a sim symbol with a question mark in it in the top left of the notification bar. The |OP| didn't complain about that, so I'm guessing he didn't get that because he was unrooted and had to enter the unlock code, so he won't get that notification, but rooted phones that never entered the unlock code will. To get rid of that, you may have to flash the fully stock, unrooted rom, put in the gsm sim, let it ask you for unlock code, then after you unlock it, root your phone again. That's just a guess. The ongoing non-Verizon sim notification does not keep the gsm sim from functioning though as long as you use phone info to change your cdma mode to gsm.

(4) If you're rooted, just to get gsm voice service, probably not, but if you want data, you may have to flash a different rom that will allow you to modify apn settings since the stock Verizon (rooted or unrooted) has that option locked. An apnedit app may be able to let you edit the apn settings, but we are unaware of any right now. Any gsm version rom (like AT&T stock rom) will probably let you change apn's, but at the moment their roms wouldn't work with our kernel or radios.

(5) You can get prepaid micro sim for AT&T or T-Mobile, I recommend AT&T, because in the case that our phone is WCDMA or HSPA+ capable, like the AT&T version, which I assume it is if all the radio's are the same (except tuning of the LTE band which is on a different band of the 700 MHz for AT&T than it is for Verizon, so it will probably never work with another carrier's LTE service) then you'll be able to get AT&T's 3g (HSDPA) or "4g" (HSPA+) because those are on 1900 MHz, while with T-Mobile you'd only get their 2G (EDGE) on 1900 MHz because T-Mobile's 3G and 4G HSPA+ are on 1700 MHz, and this phone cannot receive 1700 MHz. You can get either AT&T or T-Mobile micro sim on eBay fro $3-$4 unactivated, then you can call their CS or go to their store and get prepaid service activated for your existing phone. You might not want to show them your "unlocked" Verizon SGS3 though, so use a regular GSM phone to activate prepaid service (you might even be able to get the sim in the store if you have a gsm phone that takes micro sim). You could also purchase a go-phone with a regular size sim card, activate it on a prepaid plan with 3G or 4G data, then use a sim card punch cutter and turn it into a micro sim, but be careful not to damage the card when you do that.

(6) When you're done "playing" with your SGS3 in GSM mode, if you go into apn list in settings > more settings > wireless network, you'll see all the Verizon apn's are gone from the list. If you just turn off at this point and swap to your regular Verizon sim, it may not get service right away, and you'll get a yellow triangle with exclamation on the top left. This may make you "panic" for a few minutes and think "what did I do?" You can either keep resetting a few times (after having to manually switch to cdma mode again in phone info), until you get your Verizon apn's and service, restored, or you can switch back to CDMA/EVDO/LTE in phone info BEFORE you power off when you are still using your GSM sim, and this will save you a little bit of the headache and panicing after you reset the phone power. you want the phone to already be in cdma mode again before you put your Verizon sim back in, otherwise it'll be confused and search for a while, I recommend avoiding that.

Hope this helps. If it did, please hit the thanks button.

Last edited:

newuser134

Dec 18, 2009
Yes it's obviously support all gsm、wcmda and cdma network,

gsm 850、900、1800、1900MHZ

wcdma 2100MHZ

cdma 800、1900MHZ

i‘m in china,

it has 3 operators, china mobile supports gsm and tdscdma, the frequency band: GSM 900、1800 TD-SCDMA 1900MHZ、2000MHZ

china unicom supports gsm and wcdma, GSM 900、1800 WCDMA 2100MHZ

china telecom supports cdma and evdo, CDMA、EVDO 800MHZ

i test 3 simcards of these 3 operators,

call、sms and data all supported ,

China mobile has LTE Network,but its TD-LTE 2300MHZ、2600MHZ,not the same as USA 700MHZ LTE FDD, MSM 8960 supports,but cannot use,

it lacks RF module

its the picture:

Ok, this person is obviously right about the GSM data working on this phone, judging from the pictures, he even has the "question sim" symbol in the notification bar, so I totally believe that this is true, but I have some questions:

(1) Could you tell us what app you used,or give us detailed instructions (if you plan on helping your fellow xda members) to change the apn settings, since they are locked on an I535 version of the Galaxy S3?

(2) Why on earth (and how) would you get a Verizon SGS3 phone in China? They're pretty rare even here in the US, comparing the number of Verizon versions relative to the total number of SGS3 phones here, and being that it is the most difficult version to deal with and it's the only one that has a locked bootloader, I don't see the reasoning you would go to all this trouble to get one in a different country. People here wouldn't even want to get it if they didn't have to to use it on their network, so if you didn't have to, I don't know why you did, what is the reason?

Again, please post instructions on how you were able to change the Verizon version apn settings, if you feel that you want to share that information with us to help others in this forum.

Thanks

---------- Post added at 09:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

海卓HiAPN(一键上网)*2.5.9*(v48)

Thank you

Last edited:

AlexDeGruven

Mar 24, 2008
Ann Arbor
www.structuredthought.org
Ok, this person is obviously right about the GSM data working on this phone, judging from the pictures, he even has the "question sim" symbol in the notification bar, so I totally believe that this is true, but I have some questions:

(1) Could you tell us what app you used,or give us detailed instructions (if you plan on helping your fellow xda members) to change the apn settings, since they are locked on an I535 version of the Galaxy S3?

(2) Why on earth (and how) would you get a Verizon SGS3 phone in China? They're pretty rarare even here in the US, comparing the number of Verizon versions relative to the total number of SGS3 phones here, and being that it is the most difficult version to deal with and it's the only one that has a locked bootloader, I don't see the reasoning you would go to all this trouble to get one in a different country. People here wouldn't even want to get it if they didn't have to to use it on their network, so if you didn't have to, I don't know why you did, what is the reason?

Again, please post instructions on how you were able to change the Verizonversion apn settings, if you feel that you want to share that information with us to help others in this forum.

Thanks

---------- Post added at 09:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

Thank you

They're made in China, so maybe the person has an in with the manufacturer? Or maybe a few fell off of a truck on the way to the shipper? Hundreds of different reasons why.

JDMpire

Nov 21, 2008
Philly & Bangkok
I still can never get the phone to prompt me for any code of any kind once a "foreign" sim is installed. I tried both a T Mobile & AT&T and for the hell of it and old foreign sim, True Mobile. None worked or provided service.

The most I could get was a message in the status bar pull-down screen, about a Non-Verizon Sim (Sorry, this SIM card is not supported. Ple....) and then its cut off the screen, I can't click on it to do anything...

nforce4

Nov 4, 2007
shenzhen

(2) Why on earth (and how) would you get a Verizon SGS3 phone in China? They're pretty rare even here in the US, comparing the number of Verizon versions relative to the total number of SGS3 phones here, and being that it is the most difficult version to deal with and it's the only one that has a locked bootloader, I don't see the reasoning you would go to all this trouble to get one in a different country. People here wouldn't even want to get it if they didn't have to to use it on their network, so if you didn't have to, I don't know why you did, what is the reason?

Again, please post instructions on how you were able to change the Verizon version apn settings, if you feel that you want to share that information with us to help others in this forum.

Thanks

Thank you

1、if you rooted the ROM,you can use this apk to change the apn, it include all of the apns of chinese carriers

2、china has different situation ,we have 3 differen mobile networks,if you want use a phone support all carries, you must get the global phone,like verizon iphone 4s,incredible 2,verizon galaxy s3

newuser134

Dec 18, 2009
Ok, thanks again to enforce4 for posting this useful and rare apnedit app.

|OP|, this might be what we need. I made a NAND backup and installed this app. It seems ok at first glance. It seems like it only has support for non-US apn settings. I did an apn backup first. It saved all my apn's in an xml file under /sdcard/hiapn.../ , I then clicked on manually set apn's, and it asked to get su permission and to install itself as a system app, I allowed it, and had to reboot.

Upon reboot, after I started the app again, it gave me the option for a bunch of different apn's when I clicked set apn manually. These apn's all seem Chinese or from somewhere else, like Vodaphone. Anyway, those apn's won't do us any good, but, this may offer an insight into where this app goes to edit apn's, and we could maybe be able to manually go into whatever text file it goes into to edit them. Also, it created a .xml file to backup the current apn's. I looked at it, these are all the existing Verizon apn's. What if we move this backup .xml file to somewhere safe and make a backup copy of it, then use the one in the /scdard and edit it to the AT&T apn settings, remove all the Verizon apn's from it, then use "restore apn" to import the AT&T or T-Mobile apn's to have our own custom apn's? That seems like it's worth looking into a little. Hope this opens a way to edit apn's for pur phones.

Any help getting this going further would be welcome.

nforce4

Nov 4, 2007
shenzhen
I still can never get the phone to prompt me for any code of any kind once a "foreign" sim is installed. I tried both a T Mobile & AT&T and for the hell of it and old foreign sim, True Mobile. None worked or provided service.

The most I could get was a message in the status bar pull-down screen, about a Non-Verizon Sim (Sorry, this SIM card is not supported. Ple....) and then its cut off the screen, I can't click on it to do anything...

Root the ROM ,

and install Phone info*1.3*(v5).apk,

then you can select the GSM /WCDMA model

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

Ok, thanks again to enforce4 for posting this useful and rare apnedit app.

|OP|, this might be what we need. I made a NAND backup and installed this app. It seems ok at first glance. It seems like it only has support for non-US apn settings. I did an apn backup first. It saved all my apn's in an xml file under /sdcard/hiapn.../ , I then clicked on manually set apn's, and it asked to get su permission and to install itself as a system app, I allowed it, and had to reboot.

Upon reboot, after I started the app again, it gave me the option for a bunch of different apn's when I clicked set apn manually. These apn's all seem Chinese or from somewhere else, like Vodaphone. Anyway, those apn's won't do us any good, but, this may offer an insight into where this app goes to edit apn's, and we could maybe be able to manually go into whatever text file it goes into to edit them. Also, it created a .xml file to backup the current apn's. I looked at it, these are all the existing Verizon apn's. What if we move this backup .xml file to somewhere safe and make a backup copy of it, then use the one in the /scdard and edit it to the AT&T apn settings, remove all the Verizon apn's from it, then use "restore apn" to import the AT&T or T-Mobile apn's to have our own custom apn's? That seems like it's worth looking into a little. Hope this opens a way to edit apn's for pur phones.

Any help getting this going further would be welcome.

sorry,i havent the simcard of AT&T and T-mobile ,so i cannot test this software,

but, there has another way to edit apns

Last edited:
Reactions: newuser134

newuser134

Dec 18, 2009

If you're not rooted, it should ask you for a sim unlock code. From what you're describing, you must already be rooted. You must do all this with your GSM sim in the phone, not your Verizon sim. Don't worry about the non-Verizon sim warning, it doesn't do anything. Go to market or play store and look for and install "phone info". Open phone info > device info then scroll down to the drop down menu half way down the page, yours should say "CDMA/EVDO/LTE" or something like that. Select "GSM/WCDMA/LTE", give it a few seconds. If you have an active sim with service, you should get that carrier's signal and voice/sms service. This is where we all stand at the moment, none of us have data with any gsm carrier yet. The hiapn app that we are discussing now may give us the ability to edit apn's, otherwise we can't get gsm data until we add the carrier apn's somehow. Anyway, this should help you get voice service at least on a gsm carrier using this phone, so it shows there is a glimmer of hope right now. Hope this helped. If so, please hit the thanks button.

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 AM ----------

Root the ROM ,

and install Phone info*1.3*(v5).apk,

then you can select the GSM /WCDMA model

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

sorry,i havent the simcard of AT&T and T-mobile ,so i cannot test this software,

but, there has another way to edit apns

Thank you, that's ok, you have helped plenty already :)

you said "but, there has another way to edit apns", what do you mean by this? Is there a way to manually enter in data for all the fields of the apn settings, like name, server address, username, etc...? Does this app allow you to custom set everything manually, without selecting from a set of preset stored apn's?

kola1228

Jul 7, 2012
There seems to be an English version of this app on the Play Store, just search for "hiapn".
So will this work on my rooted phone? I'm using the stripped ROM by invisiblek.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Edit: sorry all, I have discontinued my efforts due to no time. I apologize, hopefully there is someone who can figure this out and implement an easy fix.

Ok, so I have been slacking on actually getting this in the pipeline, but I did
    unlock my Verizon GSIII day 1 with the generic code from the pre-order agreement. Per the pics that will follow my post, you will see that I do not have the SIM popup bugging me, and in fact am running the Verizon GSIII on AT&T EDGE:2 & GPRS. I am currently unable to pull APN's from AT&T, and do not currently have data. Voice works flawlessly, however.

For those who DIDN'T read, and signed their name on the dotted line because they want to be left in the dark to their own problems, here are the 2 generic unlock codes:
    or

This should be entered in the popup you will receive from using an invalid SIM.

More to come.

Here are instructions for flashing to another CDMA network, credit MikeyCriggz.

MikeyCriggz said:
    Please Note:
    You must be on an AOSP ROM in order for this to work. If you're not on one and would like to keep the stock ROM, make a NANDROID backup and flash one (CM10, AOKP, etc.). I take no credit for this, I am only providing the information (all credits go to adam3rd for his post in the Motorola Bionic forums)

Before Starting:
    Make sure your SIM card is NOT in your phone
    Activate phone through Page Plus using the first 15 digits of the IMEI (drop the very last digit)
    Download this Page Plus PRL file: http://www.4shared.com/file/qryS5x4T/51720_EVDO.html
    Download CDMA Workshop 3.8 Demo: www.cdma-ware.com

I used CDMA Workshop 3.8 demo version to do this and can verify it works.

Let's Do This:

1) Put phone in diagnostic mode (here's how: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtcEop4Dhdk)

2) Download and install all necessary drivers here: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SCH-I535MBBVZW

3) Connect phone to computer via USB

4) Open CDMA Workshop & click on the "Ports" drop down menu. Select the one that says "diag", it should be at the bottom. If not, then open Windows Device Manager and find your device. Note what COM port it's connected to and select that in CMDA Workshop (for example: COM12).

5) Click "Connect" to connect phone

6) In the main tab, click "SPC" send "000000" to unlock your phone.

7) Go to the PRL tab to load the Page Plus PRL to your phone. Select "Write" and find the PRL you downloaded earlier. It should now write to your device.

8) Turn off phone and pull the battery.

9) Insert your SIM card and replace the battery. Power up and after boot your phone should go into OTA Programming (if not, then dial *22890)

10) Open the dialer and dial *#*#4636*#*# (it will prompt you for a passcode, type "000000"). Go to "Phone Information" and find the drop down menu that says "CDMA Auto PRL" and change it to "CDMA Only"

11) Back out of this and go back into the dialer. Dial ##program and go to "Test Mode". Press next until you see a screen that says something like "EVRC HDR Hybrid Mode". Change the Network Type to CDMA and back out to the main screen. Your phone will now restart.

12) Check Settings>Phone>Status and make sure the Mobile Network Type says CDMA 1XTT. You should now have 1X data, voice, and text.

13) Dial *#*#4636*#*# again (entering in the "000000" passcode when prompted) and go back to "Phone Information". Change the "CDMA Only" back to "CDMA Auto PRL". Back out until you are at the home screen

14) Power down, remove battery and SIM card, replace battery and power back up.

15) Dial ##program again and go back into "Test Mode". Hit "Next" until you're back at the screen that says "EVRC HDR Hybrid Mode" again. Change Network Type to EVDO and press back until your phone restarts.

16) Check Settings/Phone/Status and make sure the Mobile Network Type says "CDMA EvDo rev A". If it says eHRPD, then you need to redo steps 10 through 15 again.

17) Dial *#*#4636#*#* go and go back to "Phone Information". Change "CDMA Auto PRL" to "Unknown" and back out.

18) Check Settings/Phone/Status and make sure the Mobile Network Type says "CDMA EvDo rev A". If it says eHRPD, then you need to redo steps 10 through 15 again.

14) Power down your phone, replace the SIM card and power back up. You should now have 3G data, talk, and text.

From phonescoop.com -
    LTE 750
    CDMA 850 / 1900

(1) According to the |OP|, if you are unrooted, when you put in a domestic gsm sim, the phone forces you to enter a generic code to unlock the ability to use other sim cards. I am rooted with the "stock" rooted rom from the same thread by invisiblek that you posted in your question. I was able to cut my T-Mobile prepaid sim card into a micro sim and use it in the SGS3 (although the sim was a little too thick and slightly difficult to retrieve when trying to get it back out), and YES, after using phone info to switch to GSM/WCDMA/LTE mode, it picked up full T-Mobile signal and I had voice and messaging with full signal. Due to the apn settings being locked on this phone though, I was unable to connect to an apn and get data, so for now, only voice, no data, with gsm sim card. It did however NOT ask me for a code the way it did from |OP|, I was rooted, he wasn't, so we're guessing that's the reason for no codes. So yes, it was confirmed that it will let you use a domestic sim either rooted (no code required) or unrooted (unlcok code required), but without data for now.

(2) No

(3) When you turn the phone on with a different sim (if you're unrooted). Verizon supposedly provided some generic sim unlock codes in the contract that you were signing when (and if) you preordered. That's where the |OP| got his codes from. Although it never asks for codes if you're rooted, it does give you a continuous "ongoing" notification in the notification pull-down that says "non-Verizon sim", and you get a sim symbol with a question mark in it in the top left of the notification bar. The |OP| didn't complain about that, so I'm guessing he didn't get that because he was unrooted and had to enter the unlock code, so he won't get that notification, but rooted phones that never entered the unlock code will. To get rid of that, you may have to flash the fully stock, unrooted rom, put in the gsm sim, let it ask you for unlock code, then after you unlock it, root your phone again. That's just a guess. The ongoing non-Verizon sim notification does not keep the gsm sim from functioning though as long as you use phone info to change your cdma mode to gsm.

(4) If you're rooted, just to get gsm voice service, probably not, but if you want data, you may have to flash a different rom that will allow you to modify apn settings since the stock Verizon (rooted or unrooted) has that option locked. An apnedit app may be able to let you edit the apn settings, but we are unaware of any right now. Any gsm version rom (like AT&T stock rom) will probably let you change apn's, but at the moment their roms wouldn't work with our kernel or radios.

(5) You can get prepaid micro sim for AT&T or T-Mobile, I recommend AT&T, because in the case that our phone is WCDMA or HSPA+ capable, like the AT&T version, which I assume it is if all the radio's are the same (except tuning of the LTE band which is on a different band of the 700 MHz for AT&T than it is for Verizon, so it will probably never work with another carrier's LTE service) then you'll be able to get AT&T's 3g (HSDPA) or "4g" (HSPA+) because those are on 1900 MHz, while with T-Mobile you'd only get their 2G (EDGE) on 1900 MHz because T-Mobile's 3G and 4G HSPA+ are on 1700 MHz, and this phone cannot receive 1700 MHz. You can get either AT&T or T-Mobile micro sim on eBay fro $3-$4 unactivated, then you can call their CS or go to their store and get prepaid service activated for your existing phone. You might not want to show them your "unlocked" Verizon SGS3 though, so use a regular GSM phone to activate prepaid service (you might even be able to get the sim in the store if you have a gsm phone that takes micro sim). You could also purchase a go-phone with a regular size sim card, activate it on a prepaid plan with 3G or 4G data, then use a sim card punch cutter and turn it into a micro sim, but be careful not to damage the card when you do that.

(6) When you're done "playing" with your SGS3 in GSM mode, if you go into apn list in settings > more settings > wireless network, you'll see all the Verizon apn's are gone from the list. If you just turn off at this point and swap to your regular Verizon sim, it may not get service right away, and you'll get a yellow triangle with exclamation on the top left. This may make you "panic" for a few minutes and think "what did I do?" You can either keep resetting a few times (after having to manually switch to cdma mode again in phone info), until you get your Verizon apn's and service, restored, or you can switch back to CDMA/EVDO/LTE in phone info BEFORE you power off when you are still using your GSM sim, and this will save you a little bit of the headache and panicing after you reset the phone power. you want the phone to already be in cdma mode again before you put your Verizon sim back in, otherwise it'll be confused and search for a while, I recommend avoiding that.

Hope this helps. If it did, please hit the thanks button.
    Hey guys, sorry but I discontinued my efforts. I'm just too busy between finishing my double majors, clinicals, work, side jobs, and remodeling my house... I have barely touched my computer in over a week.

BAM! Testing my new solution right NOW! Post back later ;) No need for all the ridiculous copy/paste/edit/delete/etc etc..
    Yea, I had the same thing happen on mine. BTW the verizon APN still exists there, even if it isn't shown, I managed it edit it once but now I forget how.

Im installing that HiAPN app to see what I can do.

Oh and success on getting a 2nd Verizon SGS3 working on T Mobile. I tried it on a friends phone, non rooted, just switched the radio type using "Phone Info" app and I didn't even reboot (well I did just to put the sim in the phone), and it got a T Mobile signal immediately.

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

Could it be possible for you to upload that file you made, I would like to use it on my phone...

Here you go. Replace your oringinal file with this. Make sure you keep the original file somewhere safe, keep a couple of copies of it, and rename it xxxx.xml.bak. If this helps you, please hit the thanks button. Rename the .txt to .xml instead after downloading because they won't let me upload .xml here.