[INFO][WIP] Linux on the TF101 (coming soon (I assume))

Search This thread

Lou2serious

Jun 9, 2009
Orange county
My new production box is up and running, and when I left the house today I had git pulling nVidia's nv-tegra/linux-2.6 branch.

I work 60-80 hours a week though, so this is very much a 'in my spare time' type project for me.

I'm hoping to get the T2 kernel compiling sometime over the weekend, maybe have time to mess with it Monday-ish.
I'll patiently wait....that's truly amazing if you can get this working. I think some donations are definitely a must.

lilstevie

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 17, 2009
I totally agree with you. I posted the links hoping that it would be useful in the right hands. Ubuntu has always been running pretty poorly on past android devices and vnc viewer was always needed to run it.

those versions of ubuntu are chroot tricks not native ubuntu, I have been working on ubuntu for the galaxy tab, and as soon as I get a bit of cash together for the transformer I will be doing the same thing for this wonderful device :)

Doward

May 15, 2009
Jacksonville
No question of whether it's possible - it's just a matter of time :)

Personally not an Ubuntu fan - with something like Tegra2, you practically *need* to compile everything - at least once ;)

Jhinta

Dec 20, 2010
i had a go but its failing with parttions , and disconnects usb . any knows what to change in the settup?

maxawesome

Apr 25, 2008
Seattle
would there be much use in tribooting if two of them are chrome and honeycomb? Ubuntu is handy for more serious applications and it can run chrome. Not sure how well it will run on a tegra soc, but divert the chrome effort onto the HC/ubuntu builds i'd feel better.

Netflix streaming no worky on Linux. But it works on ChromeOS. Obviously there's a Netflix app out there for Android now, but this is just one example of a web-based service that did not previously work on Android OR Linux that has worked on ChromeOS since release.

ViViDboarder

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 25, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Netflix streaming no worky on Linux. But it works on ChromeOS. Obviously there's a Netflix app out there for Android now, but this is just one example of a web-based service that did not previously work on Android OR Linux that has worked on ChromeOS since release.

How does it work on ChromeOS? It is Linux and there is no Linux silverlight yet. Moonlight doesn't work as far as I know.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium App

liorry

Aug 1, 2009
This will be awesome... I'd love the option to dual boot Linux and Android. Will I be able to run Ubuntu and install things like Eclipse/Netbeans? :) if so, I'll buy the TF keyboard ASAP!

ViViDboarder

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 25, 2010
San Francisco, CA
This will be awesome... I'd love the option to dual boot Linux and Android. Will I be able to run Ubuntu and install things like Eclipse/Netbeans? :) if so, I'll buy the TF keyboard ASAP!

I see the advantage to using a Linux distro on the Transformer, but as for Eclipse or Netbeans... I think you're better off installing them and SplashTop on your home computer (We get SplashTop free with our Transformers in the My Cloud app). Then you just remote in and you are good to go. Develop and compile with a desktop CPU.

Reactions: liorry

liorry

Aug 1, 2009
I see the advantage to using a Linux distro on the Transformer, but as for Eclipse or Netbeans... I think you're better off installing them and SplashTop on your home computer (We get SplashTop free with our Transformers in the My Cloud app). Then you just remote in and you are good to go. Develop and compile with a desktop CPU.

Thanks for your suggestion, will check it out!

Doward

May 15, 2009
Jacksonville
I'm having a heck of a time getting fastboot to co-operate. I've got a Tegra kernel build complete, and want to test it - nvflash, get talking with the TF101, but Fastboot just gives me a (waiting for device) and sits there.

Suppose I could put the kernel into a flashable zip to test, and dd it in...

*correction* packing went fine, says it flashed... but still shows old kernel version info. Strange.

Last edited:

jwhisl

Jun 18, 2010
Don't give up guys! I know that we can get this all figured out, especially with the awesome developers jumping on board. It's just a matter of time until we "Transform" the best android tablet on the market into the best dual-booting netbook on the planet!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So as we all know soon we will have the files to access nvflash. This for one will hopefully allow us to install any OS we want.

Here is a guide to flashing ubuntu through nvflash onto a tegra 2 device:
    http://tegradeveloper.nvidia.com/tegra/forum/workaround-run-ubuntu-now

Now lets hope once the nvflash tools get released in the coming days we will be able to do this.
    got the kernel built, ill see if i have time for the rest of it tomorrow.
    My new production box is up and running, and when I left the house today I had git pulling nVidia's nv-tegra/linux-2.6 branch.

I work 60-80 hours a week though, so this is very much a 'in my spare time' type project for me.

I'm hoping to get the T2 kernel compiling sometime over the weekend, maybe have time to mess with it Monday-ish.
    Came across more info on the bootloader subsystem, too -

http://www.androidenea.com/2009/06/android-boot-process-from-power-on.html

http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=HOWTO:_Unpack,_Edit,_and_Re-Pack_Boot_Images

http://elinux.org/Using_Bootchart_on_Android

Too bad I'm at work, or I could be having fun working on this, instead ;) I'll be experimenting Monday. I work Tuesday-Sunday, so doubt I'll have much time to play with this until after the weekend :(
    Good job! So, if I understand correctly you put it on the recovery partition(partially) and then boot via volume down + power ? Can you provide instructions on how to put this thing on our transformers and possibly a bin file(s).
    I am dying to boot ubuntu on my tablet. Thanks in advance. :)

with some editing to the flash.cfg you could put the ubuntu kernel into recovery, the kernel is slightly larger than what recovery allows, but a normal android kernel for the device fits without editing into recovery.

My current layout is RECOVERY (5) android kernel, LNX (6) ubuntu kernel, mmcblk1p1 rootfs.

here is the boot.img I use. this will boot to the first partition on your uSD, this can be edited using abootimg by changing the command lines root= arguement. This kernel is for a raw ext4 partition on your sd card.

Please do not mirror this, it is far from complete, and I am not going to supply full instructions at the moment, if you know what you are doing it is pretty straight forward, otherwise wait until the next version I release with a few usability fixes