HTC ONE X LTE vs HTC ONE X International

Search This thread
Rooted the International Unit ...

Yes. Thank you Peter. I really appreciate all the work you're putting in on this phone. Especially all the money you spent on these two phones.

Peter can you confirm, you only changed ROMs on the One XL right? The One X is fully stock with no mods? I'm really leary about going down the rooted path again as my DroidX had endless issues after all of the rooting fun.

Only my International unit is currently rooted. My Rogers unit is still fully stock. Hopefully, though, that will change soon.

Peter

I'm not sure, but ...

First off I want to thank Peter for all his great continued work in this thread. I really appreciate it and I know many others do too.

I would really appreciate some clarification regarding storage and apps on the One X(L). I know there are two different places which house memory on the One X (internal and phone) and I know that you can manually move appplications from internal to phone. However my confusion is with respect to apps. Do all apps get downloaded by default to the internal storage? And if one runs out of internal storage room, do apps automatically get downloaded onto the phone storage or must one make room on the internal storage space?

I would greatly appreciate some clarification.

I'm also going to keep a close eye on this thread and others on XDA with respect to battery life on the One XL. I'm currently using an iPhone 4 on AT&T and I wouldn't jump over to the One XL if it meant dealing with significantly worse battery performance compared to my current iPhone.

I've also seen some videos on YouTube where there is talk that it takes quite a while for the battery to charge on the One X.

Although I'm not 100% sure, all apps are automatically installed to Internal storage (not phone). According to the phone itself, if you go into Settings>Storage, the total available "Internal" storage is 2.21GB, while the total available "Phone" storage is 9.93GB.

If you have the proper app, you can transfer other apps from Internal to Phone storage. I've never done this as I've never run out of room. Sometimes this creates problems and conflicts, while other times it works perfectly.

My battery life has been quite good; however, I'm not a heavy user, and I'm also not a consistent user. I could be using the phone a lot on one day and almost never on another, so my comments are simply related to my personal use.

Peter

Name Caller ID works on Rogers, but ...

Rogers HTC One X is able to identify "Name Caller ID" even when you don't have the contact in your phone. But HTC One X Quad doesn't!

PS "Name Caller ID" is service provided by Rogers/Fido exclusively.

Anyone know how to make it work in Quad core version?

Thanks

While it's true that Name Caller ID works on the Rogers unit for numbers that are NOT in your contact list, they DO NOT show up in the call log.

I haven't tried Name Caller ID on my International unit, so I can't say whether it works or not. I think I'll try it and let you know ...

Peter

Addendum: Well, now I'm completely confused. I just swapped my SIM card and when a call comes in on the International unit from a number that is NOT in your Contacts list, ONLY the number shows ... not the name. Strangely enough, the very same thing happens on the Rogers unit. I'm absolutely sure that when I did this test a week ago on my Rogers unit, both the name and number were displayed, although, the number did not stay in the call log. Hmm, very confusing.

Last edited:
Reactions: JustAnotherCider

Flyarnk

Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
While it's true that Name Caller ID works on the Rogers unit for numbers that are NOT in your contact list, they DO NOT show up in the call log.

I haven't tried Name Caller ID on my International unit, so I can't say whether it works or not. I think I'll try it and let you know ...

Peter

Addendum: Well, now I'm completely confused. I just swapped my SIM card and when a call comes in on the International unit from a number that is NOT in your Contacts list, ONLY the number shows ... not the name. Strangely enough, the very same thing happens on the Rogers unit. I'm absolutely sure that when I did this test a week ago on my Rogers unit, both the name and number were displayed, although, the number did not stay in the call log. Hmm, very confusing.

Thanks and I will be waiting impatiently. I really hope I could find a solution to this :(

blairh

Apr 26, 2012
USA
Although I'm not 100% sure, all apps are automatically installed to Internal storage (not phone). According to the phone itself, if you go into Settings>Storage, the total available "Internal" storage is 2.21GB, while the total available "Phone" storage is 9.93GB.

If you have the proper app, you can transfer other apps from Internal to Phone storage. I've never done this as I've never run out of room. Sometimes this creates problems and conflicts, while other times it works perfectly.

My battery life has been quite good; however, I'm not a heavy user, and I'm also not a consistent user. I could be using the phone a lot on one day and almost never on another, so my comments are simply related to my personal use.

Peter

Thank you Peter for your reply.

What exactly do you mean by 'proper apps' and what potential problems or conflicts can rise up when transferring from internal to phone storage? (This goes for anybody else too who wants to chime in.)

I know iOS apps are different, however I have well over 2 GB of apps currently on my iPhone 4 and I use all of them in some regard. I fear getting the One X and finding myself running out of room on the internal storage, and the problems that can arise from such a scenario.

I know you can't delete stock Sense apps (or so I believe) but from what I understand it is quite simple to transfer apps from internal to phone storage. I'm also curious if apps simply are downloaded to your phone storage if you have filled your internal storage.

Thanks in advance to any answers from anybody.

Try Apps2SD ...

Thank you Peter for your reply.

What exactly do you mean by 'proper apps' and what potential problems or conflicts can rise up when transferring from internal to phone storage? (This goes for anybody else too who wants to chime in.)

I know iOS apps are different, however I have well over 2 GB of apps currently on my iPhone 4 and I use all of them in some regard. I fear getting the One X and finding myself running out of room on the internal storage, and the problems that can arise from such a scenario.

I know you can't delete stock Sense apps (or so I believe) but from what I understand it is quite simple to transfer apps from internal to phone storage. I'm also curious if apps simply are downloaded to your phone storage if you have filled your internal storage.

Thanks in advance to any answers from anybody.

Although I've never run into such an issue, I would suggest the following app to satisfy your concern:

App 2 SD (move app to SD)
Sam Lu (Developer)

This app, and there are a number of equivalents, will move certain apps to your SD card (Phone Storage). Not all apps can be moved, but I'd say most.

Peter

blairh

Apr 26, 2012
USA
Although I've never run into such an issue, I would suggest the following app to satisfy your concern:

App 2 SD (move app to SD)
Sam Lu (Developer)

This app, and there are a number of equivalents, will move certain apps to your SD card (Phone Storage). Not all apps can be moved, but I'd say most.

Peter

Thank you Peter for your continued assistance. I think my fear stems from my misunderstanding with respect to the size difference of apps when comparing iOS and Android. For example, Fifa 12' for iOS is 1.06 GB and for Android it's 13 MB. On a smaller scale, The Weather Channel app for iOS is 12.4 MB compared to 3.4 MB on Android. I found a technical reason for why this is here. As long as apps perform smoothly on Android as they have on my iPhone, then I am not concerned and appear to have nothing to worry about with respect to filling up the 2 GB internal memory limit (or so I hope). :)

slegrand

Nov 18, 2010
Calgary
I haven't seen mine corrupt that bad but when compsing a tweet in the official Twitter app it does something similar for a very brief second.

Sent from my HTC One X

tian105

Mar 11, 2011
hey peter, can you take some same photos on the two units and do a compare?

Sent from my MB860 using XDA

Squeak22

Aug 14, 2010
Thank you Peter for your continued assistance. I think my fear stems from my misunderstanding with respect to the size difference of apps when comparing iOS and Android. For example, Fifa 12' for iOS is 1.06 GB and for Android it's 13 MB. On a smaller scale, The Weather Channel app for iOS is 12.4 MB compared to 3.4 MB on Android. I found a technical reason for why this is here. As long as apps perform smoothly on Android as they have on my iPhone, then I am not concerned and appear to have nothing to worry about with respect to filling up the 2 GB internal memory limit (or so I hope). :)

I'm glad you found that explanation. On top of that, i would add that a large majority of apps which use this download mechanism will actually create directories on the phone "emmc" partition (the 9.93 gig space), as to not use any additional space in the default app memory because of the 2 gig limitation.

There are some that don't, but those aren't the 500meg-1 gig variety ones either.

Never had the flickering on the Rogers unit ...

Are you experiencing this on your Rogers One X?

A pretty common problem on the international version.

Fortunately, I've never had any screen flickering on the Rogers unit. Actually, I didn't have it on the international unit, either. However, I've seen in other forums that the flickering DOES appear to be an issue with the international unit, for some users.

Peter

Here are some picture comparisons ...

hey peter, can you take some same photos on the two units and do a compare?

Sent from my MB860 using XDA

Although my testing method isn't particularly valid by any stretch of the imagination, it's still a comparison.

What I did was have both cameras in ALMOST the exact same position and location. All settings are default. I used BURST mode on both cameras to get at least 5 images so that I could pick the best from each.

One thing I can say with certainty is that the Rogers unit has more vivid colours. You should see it in the images below. This may simply be a settings issue. I don't know. I can only say that using default settings, I prefer the Rogers images.

So, below are four images. The first two are very low resolution so that you could see each side-by-side.

The final two are full resolution. By the way, the EXIF data for both units shows only ONE X. There is no differentiation that I could see between the two units in the EXIF information. However, the International version seems to keep far more EXIF information in each image.

Rogers on LEFT and International unit on RIGHT

ONE_X_ROGs.jpg
ONE_X_INTs.jpg

Rogers Full Resolution:

ONE_X_ROG.jpg

International Full Resolution:

ONE_X_INT.jpg

Peter

Addendum: If you were unable to view the full resolution images, that's my fault. When I uploaded them initially, I actually uploaded copies of the original, which made have affected the images. I have now uploaded the ACTUAL full resolution images FROM the cameras. Sorry!

Last edited:

blairh

Apr 26, 2012
USA
HTC better pray that the screen flicker issue is not prevalent in the Snapdragon edition. If by some chance it is, the North American tech sites will explode with criticism. (And rightfully so.)

If I get the One X and experience anything of the sort, even for a brief moment (like described in the Twitter example in this thread), then I will return my phone and go back to the iPhone. That is inexcusable.

americasteam

Jan 31, 2011
Bowling Green, KY
Looking at these pics on my iPhone, but the International version looks to have much more noise and is of poorer quality than the Rogers version. Thanks for posting! Is there any difference in video quality?

Not much light in my office ...

Looking at these pics on my iPhone, but the International version looks to have much more noise and is of poorer quality than the Rogers version. Thanks for posting! Is there any difference in video quality?

There isn't a great deal of light in my office, which could explain the noise and grain; however, I would agree that, in this VERY simple test, the Rogers unit takes better pictures.

I have to emphasize, though, that this is an overly simplified test. Bottom line, if I were to take similar pictures in a variety of lighting and contrast situations, there may be no difference at all. I don't know.

Although photography is one of my hobbies, I really would never think of using a mobile phone camera to take "GOOD" pictures ... and that applies to ALL mobile phones. However, given what's inside any modern smartphone, the camera in the ONE X, both versions, is incredible. The single thing about the ONE X camera that amazes me is the burst mode. It's truly astounding how many pictures this phone can take in such a short period of time.

Regarding video, I'll try to do a comparison another day. Unfortunately, I simply don't have time today, or in the next few days.

Peter

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As many of you already know, I now have both versions of the HTC ONE X, the international version (released out of Singapore), and the Rogers unit with LTE.

Although it may still take a day or so, but I plan to use this post to offer my opinion on both devices, and to compare the differences in terms of data speed, wifi performance, battery consumption, and whatever else someone needs to know. If I have time, I will try my best to answer your question.

Please remember that my company consumes upwards of 70 hours a week of my time, plus the fact that I have an amazing 2-1/2-year-old daughter, who consumes even more of my time … and she can be quite demanding. :) Fortunately, though, I have an incredible wife who puts up with my phone addiction.

I’ll try and report back on preliminary data this evening.

Peter

===============================================================================================
    ===============================================================================================

SUMMARY OF ALL MY POSTS UP TO THE MORNING OF APRIL 22

Rogers is supplying ONLY the white version at this point. There is no indication at this time if they will also carry the grey version.

ORIGINAL SOFTWARE (ROM)
    ROM (Software Number): 1.73.631.1
    Android Version: 4.0.3
    HTC Sense: 4.0
    HTC SDK API Level: 4.11
    HTC Extension Version: HTCExtension_403_1_GA_4
    Baseband Version: 0.16a.32.09.06_10.81.32.14L
    RIL: Unknown
    Kernel Version: 3.0.8-01111-g188cf26
    Build Number: 1.73.631.1 CL54373 release-keys
    Browser Version: WebKit/534.30

There are only four system languages: English-Canada, Spanish, French, and Chinese. There is no option for English-US or English-UK.

Initial impression: Fantastic (much like the international version)

Response: Also fantastic on both units.

Security-Unknown Sources default is to allow installation of non-Market apps (surprising).

Total available internal space: 2.15GB
    Total available storage space: 9.93GB (In case you ask, yes, 9.93 is correct)

Boot screen is typical Rogers: Red letters with white background on boot, and white letters with red background on power down. The boot process is about 90% HTC ONE X, with only a brief appearance by the Rogers red/white logo; however, the entire power down screen is Rogers.

Rogers LTE APN:

Name: Rogers LTE
    APN: ltemobile.apn
    Proxy: Not set
    Port: Not set
    Username: Not set
    Password: Not set
    Server: Not set
    MMSC: http://mms.gprs.rogers.com
    MMS Proxy: 10.128.1.69
    MMS Port: 80
    MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
    MCC: 302
    MNC: 720
    Authentication Type: None
    APN Type: *
    APN enable/disable: APN enabled (default)
    Bearer: Unspecified

Here are the network selection options in the Mobile Network Settings:

HSPA only
    GSM only
    GSM / HSPA auto
    GSM / HSPA / LTE auto

Yes, you can shut off LTE if that's what you want, and it works. I selected GSM/HSPA auto to see if it would NOT try to access LTE, and it didn’t. It stayed on GSM/HSPA, even during my speed tests.

There's very little bloatware. Here's what's installed, other than standard HTC apps:

Rogers 1 Contact
    Rogers 1 Number
    Rogers Games
    Rogers My Account
    Polaris Office
    Rogers Ringtones
    Rogers Live
    Rogers Shop
    SoundHound
    TuneIn Radio
    Rogers urMusic
    Twitter
    YouTube

Here are some initial benchmark comparisons. Keep in mind that my Rogers unit is not rooted, so I could not optimize certain things, including SDCard read/write tweaks.

The international ONE X figures below are the average for 3-4 test runs.

AnTuTu:
    Rogers = 7002 / International = 10576
    Clearly the Tegra3 outperforms the SnapDragon

Quadrant:
    Rogers = 4851 / International = 4670
    Surprising!

Vellamo:
    Rogers = 2184 / International = 1608
    Wow, even I'm shocked!

CF:
    Rogers = 12725 / International = 24451 (Yes, THAT high)
    This is what you'd expect, so not surprising.

After a second round of testing, here are Test 1/Test 2 comparisons. They are virtually identical (with the exception of Vellamo, where there was a significant improvement). Numbers in brackets () are the average scores for the international unit.

AnTuTu: 7002 / 7001 (10576)
    Quadrant: 4851 / 4833 (4670)
    Vellamo: 2184 / 2360 (1608)
    CF: 12725 / 12750 (24451)

There’s a significant physical difference between the two designs. The glass cover over the camera on the international unit is absolutely flush with the camera frame (the part that sticks out and has been the topic of much negative discussion). This is not the case on the Rogers unit. The glass cover is about 1/2mm below the frame. It's not much, but certainly a lot when you consider putting your phone down on a surface that's somewhat rough. At least there's a bit of space now. Here’s a link to some images of both camera covers:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25138374&postcount=78

Here are average data results for the Rogers unit after three tests in each category:

LTE Download: 29.77 to 39.63 Mbps
    LTE Upload: 26.28 to 26.83 Mbps

HSPA Download: 5.55 to 6.91 Mbps
    HSPA Upload: 1.09 to 2.71 Mbps

The LTE is amazing, not to mention that I was getting only 1-3 bars with LTE, yet I was still able to get fantastic speeds. I was getting 5 bars for the HSPA tests.

The Rogers unit does NOT come with headphones. Here’s what’s in the box:

The phone
    USB cable
    Charger
    Special device to open the SIM slot (although a paperclip works equally well)
    Documentation

A question was asked by Flyarnk in another forum about an alleged problem with call NAME display. I can confirm that call NAME display works; however, the call does not show up in the call record.

Both Wifi hotspot and USB tethering work flawlessly, and they are very easy to set up.

I've been using the phone for about 20 hours, and my current impression is fantastic. I haven't yet found a single glitch. So far everything is working flawlessly. The Rogers unit is butter smooth and effortless. I did not get the same impression with the international unit. As I mentioned before, there were numerous glitches and unusual behaviour with many apps when I started using the international unit. It wasn't until I installed the LeeDrOiD ROM when almost every problem was solved.

Both units have the typical HTC FM radio; however, the Rogers unit also has TuneIn Radio, and it includes both FM and AM. Yes, they work great.

Both units support NFC.

DropBox works flawlessly.

The overall finish on both units is exceptional. I can't tell if there's any difference between the two. There are no chips or anything like what’s being noted about the HTC ONE S.

In my opinion, I cannot see any reason why cases would not fit both phones. Yes, there is the very minor physical difference in camera covers, but I can’t see that interfering with the fit of a case.

As you may recall, I mentioned in an earlier post that I have a profile that sets automatically at 11pm each evening to what is effectively airplane mode. This then automatically changes to my morning profile at 7am each morning.

On my previous phones, mostly HTC, but a few by Samsung (see signature), the battery would drop to anywhere from 95% to 92% during this "airplane mode" period.

With the international ONE X, however, it was still at 100% at 7am each morning. This is probably due to the use of the 5th core, where the phone goes into very deep sleep. However, I can now report that the Rogers unit is equally frugal.

Last night I charged my phone to 100%. I unplugged the phone at exactly 10:59pm, and then allowed it to automatically go into airplane mode at 11pm. I did not touch the phone until 5am this morning. Okay, it's not 7am, but 5am isn't much different when I tell you the results. Now you may be asking why I touched it at 5am. Well, I couldn't sleep, so I got up at 4am and went to work. Then, at exactly 5am, I woke up the phone, and the battery still indicated 100%. I can only assume that it would probably still be 100% at 7am, or maybe 99% at worst.

Regardless, it seems that in sleep mode, both phones use almost zero power.

It's not a technical test by any means, but it's a simple comparison. I will do more battery testing tomorrow when I have much more time to leave both phones with their displays on, and both in virtually the same "situation."

MORE TO COME ...
    Physical Camera Differences ...

Below are images of the camera cover and overall protrusion.

The diameter of the entire camera frame/trim is as follows:

Rogers: 24mm
    International: 22mm

ONE_X_Recessed_Cover.jpg

ONE_X_Camera_Differences.jpg

As you can see, there are other minor differences, and I tried my best to get images of the recessed glass cover over the Rogers unit, and the flush cover on the international unit.

Peter

Addendum: I forgot to say that the overall thickness of the phone measured exactly at the centre of the camera is 11.5mm for the Rogers unit and 11mm for the international unit. Therefore, my earlier guess that the glass cover is about 1/2mm below the outer frame is, in fact, accurate. It seems that HTC supplied not only a casing that's larger in diameter, but also 1/2mm thicker, to recess the glass a bit.
    More Image Comparisons ...

Looks much better on the dual core version. Less noise and sharpening artifact. But its hard to be sure when the focus point is much further back on the tegra version. Can you repeat the test with both focused at the same point?

I did the test again, but this time I focused on the exact same point (marked by RED circle), and I tried my very best to position both phones in exactly the same spot.

Here are smaller images, side-by-side. The Rogers unit is on the left.

ROG_OneX_Small.jpg
    INT_OneX_Small.jpg

Here is the original Rogers image, no processing, all camera settings identical:

ROG_OneX.jpg

Here is the original International image, no processing, all camera settings identical:

INT_OneX.jpg

Again, I'd have to say that the Rogers unit provides a truer image with slightly less noise, although, the differences this time are very small. In fact, they are almost unnoticeable.

Peter

Addendum: Here are two 100% cropped images for further comparison:

Rogers on Top

ROG_OneX_Crop.jpg

INT_OneX_Crop.jpg
    There's a summary of all my comments in post 1 ...

Hopefully this will make it a bit easier for some people.

I've summarized all my comments on the original post. This is up to and including this morning (my time) of April 22, 2012.

Peter
    Darn... got my 1X and settings menu looks yellow...

Don't have any other unit to compare to. Will post pics a little later.

Pete... could you kindly take some pics of both your screens using a LCD testing app like display tester?

Thanks

Yellow...

p4180360.jpg

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25017508&postcount=1

Not yellow (mine)...

6945454322_846f14549b.jpg

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25024269&postcount=9