[Q] Light flow/LED problem

Search This thread

djr83

Mar 4, 2010
I just switched from a Nexus 4 to a HTC One M8 GPe. On the Nexus 4 I used Light flow very much with many colors and blink patterns to be able to identify what was happening without turning on the screen. Now when I have installed Light flow on my M8 it's only possible to choose from 4 colors or something and no blink patterns.

Is this possible to fix?

Great phone but this really bothers me...

Ruxin

Apr 20, 2012
I just switched from a Nexus 4 to a HTC One M8 GPe. On the Nexus 4 I used Light flow very much with many colors and blink patterns to be able to identify what was happening without turning on the screen. Now when I have installed Light flow on my M8 it's only possible to choose from 4 colors or something and no blink patterns.

Is this possible to fix?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that it is due to the limitations of the LED on the M8 vs the N4. It's a different type of LED so there isn't an ability to tinker with it as much.

I miss that from my N4 too, but ultimately as soon as I saw/see a notification light I check the phone anyway.

djr83

Mar 4, 2010
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that it is due to the limitations of the LED on the M8 vs the N4. It's a different type of LED so there isn't an ability to tinker with it as much.

I miss that from my N4 too, but ultimately as soon as I saw/see a notification light I check the phone anyway.

I suspected this but before I got the M8 I didn't even realize that it would have anything else than the best LED. But yeah, 90% of the times It's just a message of some kind so I guess I'll survive. Still annoying though...

Andyw2100

Feb 11, 2008

Is this possible to fix?

Not only is it not possible to fix because of the limitation of the LED that the other poster mentioned, but I'd be shocked if Light Flow gives you any color other than green and if it works consistently.

I had messed around with it some a couple of weeks ago, and gave up. I guess it's possible the Light Flow developer has tweaked it since then, but the version I was using was pretty useless on the M8. I don't fault the Light Flow developer though. I blame HTC on this one.

Kyocere

Dec 28, 2013
Las Vegas
Not only is it not possible to fix because of the limitation of the LED that the other poster mentioned, but I'd be shocked if Light Flow gives you any color other than green and if it works consistently.

I had messed around with it some a couple of weeks ago, and gave up. I guess it's possible the Light Flow developer has tweaked it since then, but the version I was using was pretty useless on the M8. I don't fault the Light Flow developer though. I blame HTC on this one.

I was able to get green and amber to work. Some colors would just pick green or amber, others just wouldn't do anything.

djr83

Mar 4, 2010

Yeah, it seems to work pretty bad. Are there any other ways to control the LED like Light flow? Does it work better if you just let all the apps control it themselves? I guess not?

djr83

Mar 4, 2010
Green, deep orange, magenta and cyan works for me, but green and cyan shows as green/yellow on the LED and deep orange and magenta shows as orange.

Reactions: Andyw2100

djr83

Mar 4, 2010
Messed around with the LED settings in Textra after I disabled Light flow and suddenly it actually started to blink. Great improvement!
Is it possible to get it to blink in Light flow too?

Edit: Yes, enable color mixing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andyw2100

Andyw2100

Feb 11, 2008
Green, deep orange, magenta and cyan works for me, but green and cyan shows as green/yellow on the LED and deep orange and magenta shows as orange.

This is excellent information! Thanks. I'm going to have to reinstall Lightflow and take another whack at it!

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

Messed around with the LED settings in Textra after I disabled Light flow and suddenly it actually started to blink. Great improvement!

I use Textra too, so will have to try this as well. Thank you!

djr83

Mar 4, 2010
This is excellent information! Thanks. I'm going to have to reinstall Lightflow and take another whack at it!

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

I use Textra too, so will have to try this as well. Thank you!
Maybe I was unclear. To get it to flash in light flow you just need to enable mix and choose flash under the right color. This is not specific for Textra, but Textra can flash the Led by itself, without Light flow.

duckstardeluxe

Jan 16, 2013
Copenhagen
I've really tried getting it to work, but needed to put it in Direct Mode to get the LED with permanent light when lit, instead of flashing.

But in this mode the LED is dimmed even though the settings are set to 100% brightness in lightflow.

To get the LED 100% brightness I needed to remove Direct Mode and accept that permanent light instead didn't work, and live with flashing LED. Hence, not very different control than the standard setup i the Sense rom.

Any clues?

djr83

Mar 4, 2010
I've really tried getting it to work, but needed to put it in Direct Mode to get the LED with permanent light when lit, instead of flashing.

But in this mode the LED is dimmed even though the settings are set to 100% brightness in lightflow.

To get the LED 100% brightness I needed to remove Direct Mode and accept that permanent light instead didn't work, and live with flashing LED. Hence, not very different control than the standard setup i the Sense rom.

Any clues?
Try direct mode, root mode and HTC alternative mode. All three at once.

duckstardeluxe

Jan 16, 2013
Copenhagen
With that Setting the led is always permanent on dimmed like 20% through mixer and also standard control.

Sendt fra min HTC One_M8 med Tapatalk

Last edited:

Andyw2100

Feb 11, 2008
Maybe I was unclear. To get it to flash in light flow you just need to enable mix and choose flash under the right color. This is not specific for Textra, but Textra can flash the Led by itself, without Light flow.

Yes, I had the LED flashing green from Textra, without Lightflow. But the Textra reminder options are so limited, I'd really prefer to use Lightflow if I can get it working properly.

Andyw2100

Feb 11, 2008
I've been fooling around with this a lot since hearing the news that it was working.

I think I've got it working pretty well to my satisfaction now. As I was messing with settings, some of which I may have inadvertently checked (like the Samsung always on setting) I saw a number of interesting behaviors.

One was that at one point my basic notification was, instead of just the green LED flashing, a combination of alternating green and amber colors. (I'm not sure what I did, so don't ask me to reproduce it.)

At some other point I had the LED staying on even with the screen on.

There were other issues, though, when those things were happening. So I kept monkeying with the settings, and I think while neither of those things are happening now, for the most part Lightflow is working acceptably well. I actually would like it if the LED --could-- be on while the screen is on.

Also unless I am mistaken, after an alert, if the screen is turned on but the alert is not cleared, when the screen is turned off, the LED will not come back on. Is this what you two are experiencing as well? I'm pretty sure with my last phone if the alert was not cleared, the LED would continue to flash.

Thanks.

djr83

Mar 4, 2010
I've been fooling around with this a lot since hearing the news that it was working.

I think I've got it working pretty well to my satisfaction now. As I was messing with settings, some of which I may have inadvertently checked (like the Samsung always on setting) I saw a number of interesting behaviors.

One was that at one point my basic notification was, instead of just the green LED flashing, a combination of alternating green and amber colors. (I'm not sure what I did, so don't ask me to reproduce it.)

There were other issues, though, when those things were happening. So I kept monkeying with the settings, and I think while neither of those things are happening now, for the most part Lightflow is working acceptably well. I actually would like it if the LED --could-- be on while the screen is on.

Also unless I am mistaken, after an alert, if the screen is turned on but the alert is not cleared, when the screen is turned off, the LED will not come back on. Is this what you two are experiencing as well? I'm pretty sure with my last phone if the alert was not cleared, the LED would continue to flash.

Thanks.
When the LED is alternating between two colors (or more on other phones) it's probably two (or more) notifications and you've got the settings to loop through them all. Standard setting is to do this when you have the charger plugged in IIRC.

The LED is working with the screen on for me and I think it always has on the M8. On my Nexus 4 it turns off when I turn on the screen and the LED turns on again if I don't clear it and turn off the screen. Great if you don't want to read the message right now and still don't want to miss it later. Since the LED is always working wether or not the screen is on, this is not a problem on the M8.

But if it's possible to alternate with both colors on the same notification, that would be a great way to get a third "color". Could you check if it is like I said or if it really is dual color?

EDIT:
I got it to work! In mixer you can set one color to solid and one to flash to get both. So there are actually a difference on green + amber and amber + green. This will give us a total of 6 options: green, flashing green, orange, flashing orange, orange + flashing green, green + flashing orange.

EDIT2:
The non-flashing color isn't very strong, so I'm not sure how useful this really is.
http://youtu.be/CIRPbcZqV0U

Last edited:
Reactions: sirtom1

Andyw2100

Feb 11, 2008
When the LED is alternating between two colors (or more on other phones) it's probably two (or more) notifications and you've got the settings to loop through them all. Standard setting is to do this when you have the charger plugged in IIRC.

The LED is working with the screen on for me and I think it always has on the M8. On my Nexus 4 it turns off when I turn on the screen and the LED turns on again if I don't clear it and turn off the screen. Great if you don't want to read the message right now and still don't want to miss it later. Since the LED is always working wether or not the screen is on, this is not a problem on the M8.

But if it's possible to alternate with both colors on the same notification, that would be a great way to get a third "color". Could you check if it is like I said or if it really is dual color?

EDIT:
I got it to work! In mixer you can set one color to solid and one to flash to get both. So there are actually a difference on green + amber and amber + green. This will give us a total of 6 options: green, flashing green, orange, flashing orange, orange + flashing green, green + flashing orange.

EDIT2:
The non-flashing color isn't very strong, so I'm not sure how useful this really is.

It was definitely not really two notifications, though it is somehow possible that Lightflow was acting as if it were. The alternating was definitely like the alternating LED colors that I used to see on my last device when it was alternating between notifications.

I can't reproduce it because I don't know what crazy combination of settings I had at the time. The Samsung always on setting was probably involved. It's even possible I had incorrect checked the Samsung root mode. I was really trying lots of things, and not sure of what I was doing.

Right now, as you suggested, I have Direct Mode, Root Mode, and HTC Alternative driect mode all checked.

I have all LED notifications turned off in Settings/Display and Gestures/Notification Light.

I have Textra set to not notify me in any way, and am using LighFlow for notifications and repeat notifications.

I have not tested things much, so I really don't know how well it is working, but it basically seems to be, though I definitely do not have the LED staying lit with the phone on, or after I turn it on and then back off.

I wonder if some of the differences we are seeing could be due to versions of the phone, rooting procedures, etc. My phone is the Verizon version, and I used Weaksauce to gain root access. Could this make a difference?

Again, many thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks.

EDIT:

EDIT2: