N7 JB 4.2 strange charging issue

Search This thread

najaboy

May 10, 2010
Melbourne, FL
im gonna have to leave this as tomae-toe and tomat-oe

Leave it as what you want, but the fact remains that this is a cut and dry matter of fact, not a matter of interpretation. Wiping batterystats.bin does not affect indication. There is no magical connection between the information contained in batterystats.bin and the percentage shown to you in the status bar. To further illustrate this, we can use the previous erroneous assertion that the file takes some time to settle before truly accurate indication. Were this true, the device would realistically never report accurately since the OS wipes batterystats.bin after each near full charge.

https://plus.google.com/app/basic/stream/z13dgb0rksywh3muq222fzkqnwfgdbgrk04

Today's myth debunking:

"The battery indicator in the status/notification bar is a reflection of the batterystats.bin file in the data/system/ directory."

No, it does not.

This file is used to maintain, across reboots, low-level data about the kinds of operations the device and your apps are doing between battery changes. That is, it is solely used to compute the blame for battery usage shown in the "Battery Use" UI in settings.

That is, it has deeply significant things like "app X held a wake lock for 2 minutes" and "the screen was on at 60% brightness for 10 minutes."

It has no impact on the current battery level shown to you.

It has no impact on your battery life.

Deleting it is not going to do anything to make your more device more fantastic and wonderful... well, unless you have some deep hatred for seeing anything shown in the battery usage UI. And anyway, it is reset every time you unplug from power with a relatively full charge (thus why the battery usage UI data resets at that point), so this would be a much easier way to make it go away.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: subtex

chismay

May 5, 2011
LONDON
Leave it as what you want, but the fact remains that this is a cut and dry matter of fact, not a matter of interpretation. Wiping batterystats.bin does not affect indication. There is no magical connection between the information contained in batterystats.bin and the percentage shown to you in the status bar. To further illustrate this, we can use the previous erroneous assertion that the file takes some time to settle before truly accurate indication. Were this true, the device would realistically never report accurately since the OS wipes batterystats.bin after each near full charge.

https://plus.google.com/app/basic/stream/z13dgb0rksywh3muq222fzkqnwfgdbgrk04

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

yup still saying tomatoe:good:

prox4ion

Oct 6, 2010
On 4.2 and I'm experiencing the slow charging as well. Often I have to hold down the power button for 15-20 seconds to powerup.

Using Mini-Info+, it reports the charging as USB when it's slow. When I disconnect and reconnect, it will say AC somtimes. The behavior is random. I'm guessing 4.2 isn't recognizing the charge properly.

buffnutz1

Jul 24, 2010
I'm having problems too. Its like I can't get it to charge past like 20% ever since the update. Wish I never did it.

WastedJoker

Aug 11, 2011
I'd noticed my N7 was recharging slowly too. A bit of a pain but I think you can ensure the rom recognises your AC charging as AC by switching the N7 off to charge, plugging in the adapter then turning the device on with it still plugged in. Seems like it always recognises it as AC if it boots with AC plugged in.

The charging issue is annoying as anything though - I was using my tablet for surfing net and even though it was pkugged into AC, the battery was gradually dropping because it only recognised it as trickle charging via USB.

Alex0J

Jan 16, 2013
I've found with my Nexus 7 8gb that I have had do the following to ensure that it charges over night:
- Set "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" set to "Never"
- Plug it in to the Asus Changer, lock the screen and then when the "Daydream" clock comes up, tap the power button so the screen turns off.

As I was finding if the screen was on for the daydream (displaying the clock, which is set to night mode) then Wi-Fi was on and this was enough to drain the battery WHILE it was charging!

I just notice the "When to daydream" setting, I'm going to test setting that to "Docked" instead of "either" which hopefully means that when plugged in the screen will turn off, which in turn turns off the wi-fi and might help with charging.

That or I might turn daydreaming off.

Generally my Nexus 7 is so slow & buggy atm that it's driving me nuts! :eek:
enjoy

yattamove

Aug 21, 2014
This post is old but I still have problems. Anyone had luck or did you just threw away your old and got a new model instead?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My stock unrooted 16gb n7 received the 4.2 update this morning, all has been fine until this evening when it needed charge.

It often gets plugged into a htc phone charger, which has worked fine since i bought the tab a few months ago until today, its a 1amp charger so it takes ages to charge, but thats fine as it is plugged in until the morning normally.

So i plugin as normal, and come back after setting up google play music on my desktop pc, and i see the unit rebooting showing the glowing X. The screen goes blank and is unresponsive, eventually the google logo appears and it boots normally (its still plugged in btw), after unlocking the screen goes mental after maybe 5 seconds with random noise on it, then goes black.

So i unplug and use the genuine asus charger and cable, it does the same twice over, reboot, freeze, long wait then reboot.

I have now left it on charge using the asus charger and it seems to be ok now

Have google changed some charging requirements? Anyone else seen this?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
    Not sure, but my nexus 7 on Android 4.2 charges like 35% slower than did with 4.1.2..... what the hell did they do??
    Funny you mention that, i might agree with you there

The N7 seems fine today, i did make a couple of videos of it misbehaving last night, watching back my circle battery widget app jumps from 16% to 0% battery just before it goes blank, indicating it might have simply run flat but thought it still had 16% battery?

Wonder if they have changed the battery meter scaling?

I think i will run it flat and check it shuts down properly like it used to

Hi dexterslab,

On a side note when you update to 4.2 were you already rooted and did you have superSU version0.98 installed? I have been reading other posts in this forum that folks have been rooted, superSU installed and the update has completely crashed their N7. ANy info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    JBIRD
    Its still as stock, locked and unrooted

I've noticed slower charging since the 4.2 update too - did a quick Google search and landed here. Using the same genuine Asus charger and generic cable that I did before the update, and I would agree with the roughly 35% slower estimate.