Sanded, polished, etched the back case of my phone.

Search This thread

Philipp_94

Nov 29, 2012
Leipzig
I want to know what it would look like if you did this with a black phone. I know it would be also like a mirror but, how would the phone completely look?

CaelanT

I want to know what it would look like if you did this with a black phone. I know it would be also like a mirror but, how would the phone completely look?

In all honesty would probably not look good. Only the surface is anodized, and this is what holds the colour, so if you rub on it with emery paper or sandpaper you will go through this surface to bare aluminium below it. Only way I could see this looking good would be if you were able to "feather" the colour to make it look like a big worn area on the back of the phone.

lagittaja

Jan 3, 2011
Finland
That's looks so awesome!

Also this must've been said a few times already but I'm in a bit of a hurry. It feels warmer in your hand because the surface of the phone is much smoother now than what it was before. In other words there's less air caught in between the phone's surface and your hand/fingers and since air really isn't a good conductor of heat..

soulshot96

Dec 21, 2010
I am currently in the process of doing this to my M7. It looks great, but the damn letter C fell off the back and when I attempted to glue it back on the super glue pretty much melted it...but alas, the underlying design, if polished up a bit looks quite unique and nice. So no harm no foul. But if you don't want it looking like that, be careful around those damn letters.

Reactions: Crackanug

marc4eva

Dec 30, 2012
kinda looks like the m8. Can you put a clear coat or something to seal everything so that it doesnt scratch so easily?

Wow, I've never even imagined the One with a "chrome" look like that. It's gorgeous. Unfortunate that it gets scratched up like that, though.
I've used a similar technique on my aluminum rims. In the US there is a brand by the name Poor Boy's that makes a sealant for chrome rims that lasts about 3 months but that just locks in the shine preventing dulling by oxidation. For the scratches, wouldn't a clear adhesive protector for the back cover do the trick while preserving the look? If they don't already come custom made by brands like Armorsuit, there are stores that 3D scan your phone and custom make the protector for about 40USD

Wetbreadguy

Dec 10, 2015
Austin
One small question

So I know this is a semi old post (going towards 2 years now) but i am thinking of doing this to my one m8 now that im saving for a 6p and will be getting one in two months. My only question is are the antennas in any danger as Im sanding? do i need to cover them with tape as i sand our should i just do it regardless of the antennas? Thanks for answering on such an old post, great job btw!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THE STORY:

Since I bought this phone I wanted to do something to the back cover, I just wasn't sure what. Plus I wasn't really set on the idea of doing something to risk damaging a perfectly good (and new at the time) phone. That was until about 2 months ago when I managed to put a small hairline crack in the digitizer. Since the phone was no longer undamaged, yet still 100% functional, I figured why the hell not customize it.

I read awhile ago on XDA about some users discussing what the phone would look like with a polished look but no one was willing to take the plunge. This seemed like a good/fun project now that I didn't care if I screwed it up.

First I used 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper to remove the anodization. While this method was working, it was painstakingly slow to get to bare metal. The interesting thing about 1000 grit though, it doesn't remove the anodizing right away yet takes out a lot of the minor blemishes due to everyday use. This could in turn be used carefully to remove any dings you have without removing the anodizing. In this photo it is hard to see, but the top half near the camera hasn't been sanded, while near the HTC logo it has.

attachment.php

Since 1000 grit was taking too long, I switched to 400 grit. This seemed to be a decent middle ground. It wasn't too coarse to tear up the aluminum but just enough to take off the anodization a little quicker. You can see I managed to scratch the camera lens cover a bit... don't worry ;) FYI: anodizing can be removed via a chemical bath, but who would be willing to put their whole phone in a vat of liquid....

attachment.php

Now that I was down to bare metal I switched to 3000 grit sandpaper I picked up from O'Reilly's Auto Parts. This smoothed out a lot of the larger scratches from the 400 grit paper and gave a good dull, almost brushed, look to the aluminum.

attachment.php

Now that I had a mostly blemish free surface, I used Turtle Wax Polishing Compound to smooth out any remaining small imperfections. The final step was to use Mothers Aluminum Polish to get a nice mirror finish.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I was pretty satisfied with the result, however, I had to do more...

I recently stumbled across this article on Hack A Day which gave me the inspiration to do the same.

For everyone's information, after polishing the back, this is what your phone will look like after 2 weeks of typical use (for me at least).

attachment.php

Before I started the etching process I had to give the back cover a good re-polishing. Once that was complete I decided on the design I wanted. Typically in most DIY etching, people use some kind of paint or resist to block the areas they don't want etched. Luckily I have an awesome brother-in-law who recently got a hold of an old plotter. So I whipped up a design in Illustrator and he took care of getting me a vinyl cutout to use. Of course I had to go with the two sites I frequent the most as my design... (yes, I know it's a little off center. I got in a hurry ha-ha)

attachment.php

Instead of going with a vinegar and salt solution for my etchant. I decided on a mix of Copper Sulfate, Sodium Bisulfate and table salt. I used a 45% Copper Sulfate, 45% salt, and 10% Sodium Bisulfate mix.

attachment.php

The Copper Sulfate comes as a chunky blue rock/crystal. So I hit it with the mortar and pestle to make dissolve better in water.

attachment.php

After mixing everything in hot water it was time to etch. I used an old 12 volt 1000ma wall wart I had sitting around for my power source. I wired the phone by wrapping it with 1 foot of bare copper wire and tightly wrapping the wire with electrical tape to make sure it would contact the aluminum. I wrapped another wire around a cotton swab tip and connected it to the negative terminal of the wall wart. After making sure the phone was powered off. I connected the positive terminal of the wall wart to the bare wire attached to the phone, making sure it was in contact with the aluminum by testing it with a voltmeter.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Once satisfied with the etch, I cleaned the surface off with a damp paper towel. All that was left was another polish with the Turtle Wax and the Mothers Aluminum Polish. Here is the final result.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

A couple of notes:

1. The phone "seems" to get warmer than what it did before (only while watching videos or playing a graphics heavy game). I haven't checked/compared the actual stats, it's just what I have noticed while holding phone.
    2. The white plastic that separates the top and bottom will get a little grey from the sanding and polishing. Goof off seems to be a great remedy to make them white again.
    3. The scratches on the camera lens protective cover were buffed/polished away while using the Turtle Wax Polishing Compound. Also, the scratches were never over the center portion and did not impact the picture quality while they were there anyway.
    4. The speaker phone mic will get compound/polish in it, however a light tap on a table, with the mic facing down, while the compound is still wet removes most of it. Any residual stuff left in the small hole can be removed (CAREFULLY) with the tip of an exacto blade.
    5. I have not had any issues with my signal, nor any issues with the mic on the phone since doing this.

I shouldn't have to say this, but anyone who tries this, be careful. You can seriously mess up the phone and I am not responsible if you follow my examples and something goes wrong. Do this at your own risk.

If you would like to do this and have questions or need help, let me know.

-Crack
    kinda looks like the m8. Can you put a clear coat or something to seal everything so that it doesnt scratch so easily?

I thought about this since this phone is mostly an experiment before picking up the new M8. I forgot who made it, but there is a spray paint that gives the "appearance" of an anodized metallic look in different colors. I know that sounds counterintuitive since I removed the stock anodization, again, this is mainly an experiment. I was thinking of doing some kind of a fade between two colors and then a clear coat.

That's awesome mate it looks great in chrome

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I almost wanted to keep it just chrome without the etch, and I almost stopped after seeing the dull brushed aluminum look because I liked it so much..
    First look. After sandpaper i accidentally damage camera lens. But,i try a tip from youtube with toothpaste and now is maybe better than before everything. Just perfect solution for camera lens.. Now i only need to start polishing with some polish paste and we will see resoults soon..
    That is superb! How did you make the template?
    Well done man, it looks great!