AT&T 4G LTE in Chicago..????? Horrible

Search This thread

tim4w5

Mar 27, 2011
West Des Moines, IA
I was killing these speeds with my T-Mobile 4G.....

Attachments

• SC20120418-151608.jpg
    SC20120418-151608.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 227

bbgt2

Jan 25, 2011
Chitown
I can't see ur pic but yes Chi towns lte speeds suck.
Highest I ever got as 16 down 8 up. Sick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

bbgt2

Jan 25, 2011
Chitown
Ill post another pic when I get home on the desktop, but on a consistent basis I'm getting 4 down and 2 up

Oh snap! That's fakked up. Call ATT and have them reset ur LTE settings. That's wayyyy slow. Almost Edge. Have u flashed a custom ROM or are u stock?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

wase4711

May 9, 2010
Outside of Phoenix, AZ
I live in the sw burbs of Chicago, and I am getting anywhere from 4-16 down, and 2-9 up; coming from Sprint, where you were lucky to get 1 meg down, I am totally blown away by these speeds...but, I guess its all relative!

Just got this phone sunday, and I am very impressed so far

technillion

Jun 28, 2007
Elgin, Illinois
How deep in the city are you tho...

I found that anywhere downtown, in the loop area or between buildings, 4G speeds were terrible..something like 3-6...but when I go more than 10 miles south, north or west of downtown, I was hitting 22-25!

ryandelman

Oct 6, 2009
Chapin, SC
I was in Naperville a few weeks ago and will be there again next week and am dreading having to use LTE because with it being sloth-like slow in Chicagoland, the LTE will drain my battery even more than better equipped LTE areas which already put a heavy burden on the battery.

Just hoping the hotel I'm staying at has Wifi like the last one did.... lol

-Ryan

wase4711

May 9, 2010
Outside of Phoenix, AZ
I was in Naperville a few weeks ago and will be there again next week and am dreading having to use LTE because with it being sloth-like slow in Chicagoland,
-Ryan

"sloth like slow"? total exaggeration, man...
like I said, people are really spoiled, when they say that 6-15 megs down on a phone is "sloth like slow"...
Us Sprint refugees think that speed is rocket-like...

ryandelman

Oct 6, 2009
Chapin, SC
"sloth like slow"? total exaggeration, man...
like I said, people are really spoiled, when they say that 6-15 megs down on a phone is "sloth like slow"...
Us Sprint refugees think that speed is rocket-like...

its all relative....

Coming from Sprint, you're used to watching paint dry faster than you can down/upload a 5kb file.

Not so with us ATT peeps. Trust me, ATT is not without it's well-documented problems also, but a major metro area like Chicago having slow-ass-sloth LTE is beyond unacceptable when the bar of precedent has been set so much higher, in much smaller areas. Charlotte for instance!!!

I'm not comparing Sprint w/ATT for LTE speeds. I'm comparing Chicago with Charlotte of all frigging places, and Chicago comes in WAY second best there.

That's a joke no matter how you slice it.

-Ryan

Last edited:

wase4711

May 9, 2010
Outside of Phoenix, AZ
yeah, I guess its all relative; I assume I will get spoiled over time, and have problems with 5-15 meg d/l speeds//
Fortunately, in my home office on wifi, I get almost 40 megs down, so, in every way, especially coming from Sprint, I an thrilled with my speeds.
I havent rooted yet, only having the phone for a few days, and I want to learn all about it first, but I can only imagine how it will be rooted, tweaked, and dialed in completely!

SteveSlimer

Apr 13, 2010
Chicago
I was just in an elevator in my office building in the South Loop and got 3 down and 3 up. Try that on T-mobile (which I just switched from).

bbgt2

Jan 25, 2011
Chitown

Very nice read, thanks. I just dont understand how some other guys are getting 40+Mbs DL and 20+Mbs UL speeds, makes us here in Chicago look like we are on dial up. I know Chicago was rated as slowest ATT LTE in the nation but this article says we are on par with what we are getting. Either way I am happy with the speed but its a drug we all wanna go faster faster. :D

wase4711

May 9, 2010
Outside of Phoenix, AZ
Very nice read, thanks. I just dont understand how some other guys are getting 40+Mbs DL and 20+Mbs UL speeds, makes us here in Chicago look like we are on dial up. I know Chicago was rated as slowest ATT LTE in the nation but this article says we are on par with what we are getting. Either way I am happy with the speed but its a drug we all wanna go faster faster. :D

unless you see actual screenies of people getting that kind of speed, I wouldn't take much stock in it
I get around 40 meg downloads on wifi in my home office, but otherwise, I can't imagine seeing that on any carriers data network...eventually, that will probably be the norm, but not for now..

bbgt2

Jan 25, 2011
Chitown
unless you see actual screenies of people getting that kind of speed, I wouldn't take much stock in it
I get around 40 meg downloads on wifi in my home office, but otherwise, I can't imagine seeing that on any carriers data network...eventually, that will probably be the norm, but not for now..

Check this thread out, has some Speed Test results. Again I am happy with the speeds I am getting just hoping ATT updates their towers in Chitown as they have been saying they would.

hegemytouch

Mar 2, 2010
I went to NYC the first time with an lte phone...got awesome speeds

Galaxy Note

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1334852294507.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1334852294507.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 64

Top Liked Posts