Gingerbread OTA in 'the coming weeks' still

Search This thread

ohgood

Aug 8, 2009
Birmingham
Reactions: drive2droad

austinwsj

Sep 24, 2008
This is BS. Jan 6 they will announce Honeycomb/MotoTab while Nexus One owners are still waiting for 2.3 OTA?

So what is the true developer device? Nexus One? S? MotoTab for Honeycomb whether its 2.4 or 3.0?

El Daddy

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2008
Roseville, MN
They said the same thing about our OTA when they announced Froyo. I think was pushed about a month later.

I don't really care about the OTA but I'd like some updated drivers so AOSP would run smoothly.

Reactions: drive2droad

austinwsj

Sep 24, 2008
I honestly expect more out of Google.

I mean, I do systems engineering and I totally understand what its like to develop firmware and software development, but this is google. Theyve got armies of engineers and talented people who I think are passionate of their product.

For them to jumble and bobble these dates, is this a case of internal politics between program teams, bad marketing strategy, or is google human like everybody else and cannot execute a software release cleanly and on time?

Take a look at CM. They don't promise dates and work their tails off to get you a stable release. And they're not getting at 10% pay raise across the board. Talk about passion (pun intended).

dowmace

May 25, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I would just like to know when they changed the statement that the N1 would get all future updates ahead of all other devices...

Lord_Buckington

Nov 17, 2010
I would say that the delay will be like the one with Froyo. Every time a new build is tested, new bugs will emerge. It's frustrating, but they'll be working hard on it.

Sent from my Nexus One

Clarkster

Mar 23, 2007
Sooke
Because Gingerbread was developed using a Nexus S...and Froyo the Nexus One.

The only builds that happened to have a chance for leaking before 16th of December were those coming from the Nexus S used for Demos by some sites.

Then why was it always a Nexus One when Google was showing off Gingerbread? Or when we got that leaked video of the screen off animation? Or the other leaked videos? Always Nexus Ones.

I assume that it wasn't perfect yet and near the Nexus S release date all development was shifted to that to get rid of bugs there first, now it's time to go back and finish the Nexus One.

BiTXBoi

Aug 14, 2010
This is BS. Jan 6 they will announce Honeycomb/MotoTab while Nexus One owners are still waiting for 2.3 OTA?

So what is the true developer device? Nexus One? S? MotoTab for Honeycomb whether its 2.4 or 3.0?
gosh...talk about mixing apples and tennis balls.

What has the Honeycomb/MotoTab announcement to do with the Nexus One being the Dev. Phone.

Do Nexus S buyers have reasons to feel betrayed cos just only 20 days after buying the newest of phones with the latest of Androids, suddenly a newer version of the latter is announced? Please...

It's the same with Nexus One users and updates, be patient, that's all. Is FroYo that bad that you can't wait or just want to get Gingerbread asap? Novelty wears fast.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

austinwsj

Sep 24, 2008
gosh...talk about mixing apples and tennis balls.

What has the Honeycomb/MotoTab announcement to do with the Nexus One being the Dev. Phone.

Do Nexus S buyers have reasons to feel betrayed cos just only 20 days after buying the newest of phones with the latest of Androids, suddenly a newer version of the latter is announced? Please...

It's the same with Nexus One users and updates, be patient, that's all. Is FroYo that bad that you can't wait or just want to get Gingerbread asap? Novelty wears fast.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

Well, this is the problem with being open, developing fast and the problem of fragmentation.

Frankly I was surprised and impressed when Rubin announced that Honeycomb will run on both phones and tablets, implementation of panes will be different per device, but ultimately both form factors will share the underlying framework.

That being said, it does seem that the general strategy is to create a mobile OS across multiple form factors and use cases.

If that is the case, what is the true "google experience"? Nexus? the tablet? a new developer device?

I dont think its been stated explicitly but the beauty of Android is how quickly its evolved due to its disruptive nature. 500 dollars is well spent if the product gains functionality by software updates over the course of time it is used. If you think about it, wouldn't the nexus line of phones be theoretically depreciate the least for a product that is considered an expense?

Thus the excitement/impatience for the latest and greatest.

Emranth

Jun 8, 2010
Maybe Google secretly hates everyone still using an N1 and their righteous outrage at not having everything yesterday. Maybe Google gave Samsung gingerbread exclusivity until 2011. Didn't the Droid get a fair bit of fanfare with it's 2.0 exclusivity? 5 days into 2010 and we were introduced to the N1 and 2.1.

I have to imagine it would have been a pain to develop on a phone while Samsung was still monkeying around with the GPS and then there's the video evidence of gingerbread on the N1. My guess is that gingerbread is probably nicely baked for our consumption and just waiting on the calendar.

So why not ever give us precise dates? It's not like OTA updates happen in a day, it's taken weeks for updates to reach me in Canada (when I don't do it manually). Google has told us it's coming and coming soon at that. That's a hell of a lot more than the users of any other phone (barring 1) can say.

People on sites like this will ***** if it's not the right colour, if it doesn't make toast for them, if they don't know when they're getting it down to the minute. Google may as well just let us *****, there's nothing they can do about it.

I'd encourage patience but if you're browsing XDA patience is not in your nature.

negroplasty

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix
If it means so much for all of you to be first on the list for updates - GO BUY A NEXUS S AND SHUT THE HELL UP.

Otherwise, acknowledge your phone is a year old and quit being unrealistic FFS, half of you must be ten years old - if that's the case, do what you did the first time; go grab mommy or daddy's credit card and order a Nexus S.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http://twitter.com/googlenexus/status/16974464310845440

Why is it always 'the coming weeks' with Google? :)

Could mean the ATO goes out the end of this week and continues over the coming weeks, or it could mean the OTA will start in a few weeks.

But I'm happy to wait, we've got stuff to tide us over for now.
    http://twitter.com/googlenexus/status/16974464310845440

Why is it always 'the coming weeks' with Google? :)

Could mean the ATO goes out the end of this week and continues over the coming weeks, or it could mean the OTA will start in a few weeks.

But I'm happy to wait, we've got stuff to tide us over for now.

iirc:

days = weeks
    weeks = months
    months = go fishing
    They said the same thing about our OTA when they announced Froyo. I think was pushed about a month later.

I don't really care about the OTA but I'd like some updated drivers so AOSP would run smoothly.
    I love how they complain like Gingerbread will be some sort of revolutionary update, it's nothing special.
    first of all i also don't think that gingerbread is anything special. i hate the new icons, i don't like the black notification drawer.

so i have no problem waiting. But i have a general issue with this delay, i bought the nexus one not much time ago expecting that it's the only real google phone and will be treated like that. which means it should get updates for 1,5-2 years.

Now i see people hoping to get honeycomb on the N1 at all officially, and gingerbread is being delayed. If even Google doesn't get it right on their first own smartphone flagship, then nobody in the android market will.

I really love Android OS and all of its pros, but getting updates without having to root or anything is very important for me, so if google fails to support the n1 in 2011 i'm going to switch to the iPhone. Hope it will not end like this, cause i prefer the Android OS.
    DELAY? THERE IS NO DELAY.
    GOOGLE HAS NEVER SET A DATE FOR THE 2.3 UPDATE.
    NO PHONE HAS BEEN UPDATED TO 2.3.
    Seriously, just stop. The constant crying from end users is mind numbing.
    Switch to the iPhone, you don't deserve an Android device.

Also, this thread should be LOCKED, since there is clearly a sticky at the top of the forum that reads ONLY GINGERBREAD THREAD.