Please help me with Spen problem with writing glitch...

Search This thread

SayaX

Mar 25, 2011
I know I posted before about an issue I had with the pen pressure that I forced me to replace the pen. Now I am having another problem... this time with random 'wiggly lines' coming off my letters when I am writing. I take a lot of notes so this is an issue... my other pen didn't do this (and is now no longer working)

Fhr5PdI.png

I notice it's sometimes better if I am using it a bit, but obvoiusly prevents me from writing quickly and getting anything done. It's like I have to go back and erase and have to write slower....

Has anyone else has this issue? This is just so frustrating since this is my second spen... without any sort of diagnostic tool on these devices, it's hard to tell what the problem could be

Yes, I've adjusted sensitivity underneath the switch.
Yes, I've changed the nib.
No, I am not using a case with a magnet.

Last edited:

SayaX

Mar 25, 2011
Anyone?

I noticed when trying my husband's Note II pen, it did the same thing, but not nearly as much. (My pen just seems more sensitive than his in general). It seems to be a lag/software issue. It doesn't do it as often in layerPaint... it seems to happen a lot more in S-note. I turned off airview and other things like that to try to see if it made some difference... it is really really annoying.

I'm not sure, but it seems to have started since the Jelly Bean update. I'm tempted to try another ROM.

kiboy6

Nov 5, 2012
Anyone?

I noticed when trying my husband's Note II pen, it did the same thing, but not nearly as much. (My pen just seems more sensitive than his in general). It seems to be a lag/software issue. It doesn't do it as often in layerPaint... it seems to happen a lot more in S-note. I turned off airview and other things like that to try to see if it made some difference... it is really really annoying.

I'm not sure, but it seems to have started since the Jelly Bean update. I'm tempted to try another ROM.

Sounds exactly like all you need to do is calibrate your pen. It's a very easy DIY job. Search on xda and you will find a guide :)

SayaX

Mar 25, 2011
Sounds exactly like all you need to do is calibrate your pen. It's a very easy DIY job. Search on xda and you will find a guide :)

I've done a lot of searching already and I can't find what you're talking about. I already know about lifting the side-switch and adjusting sensitivity if that is what you mean... I mentioned that in the OP.

I've read about the touching every edge of the screen for automatic calibration (this was in a Note 1 forum). I've even reset my tablet completely to try to fix this issue and it still persists...

I noticed also the pointer "hops" around as I am using it. I've noticed this and it's not only distracting, but it could mean the sensor is not staying where it should?... it's acting like a calibration issue, but how do you this calibrate this? I've disabling everything that could possibly cause lag as well...

Last edited:

Jun 28, 2009
Edit: in response to OP:

I get this too! It has to be some kind of velocity setting that causes it... drives me a bit bonkers sometimes. Seems if im writing quickly i notice it more. As if the pen setting is overly sensitive to me whipping it around.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

JSale

Jan 13, 2012
I too get this and am quite frustrated, but I believe it is because of my screen protector.

ultramag69

Nov 6, 2007
Waratah
I believe you may find there's a calibration app in the themes and apps forum. I believe it was being developed but may be a paid app. Might be an idea to look there....

Aes28

Dec 27, 2012
I know I posted before about an issue I had with the pen pressure that I forced me to replace the pen. Now I am having another problem... this time with random 'wiggly lines' coming off my letters when I am writing. I take a lot of notes so this is an issue... my other pen didn't do this (and is now no longer working)

Fhr5PdI.png

I notice it's sometimes better if I am using it a bit, but obvoiusly prevents me from writing quickly and getting anything done. It's like I have to go back and erase and have to write slower....

Has anyone else has this issue? This is just so frustrating since this is my second spen... without any sort of diagnostic tool on these devices, it's hard to tell what the problem could be

Yes, I've adjusted sensitivity underneath the switch.
Yes, I've changed the nib.
No, I am not using a case with a magnet.

Hmm, so the old pen didn't do this? Mine does it too and it's getting rather annoying while drawing. Been wondering if it's just a normal thing I'll have to deal with... but what you said gives me hope. Did you send the SPen back by itself to get a replacement or did you have to buy a new one?

Also does anyone know if the Bamboo Stylus' do this at all?

SayaX

Mar 25, 2011
I believe you may find there's a calibration app in the themes and apps forum. I believe it was being developed but may be a paid app. Might be an idea to look there....

I've tried that before, but I tried it again just in case. I think you're talking about S-pen Reset, Reset S-pen, whichever one it's called..

Hmm, so the old pen didn't do this? Mine does it too and it's getting rather annoying while drawing. Been wondering if it's just a normal thing I'll have to deal with... but what you said gives me hope. Did you send the SPen back by itself to get a replacement or did you have to buy a new one?

Also does anyone know if the Bamboo Stylus' do this at all?

Yes, and I've tried many many pens... the one that this is I bought at Best Buy as a replacement... so yes, I paid for another pen I should not have had to pay money for, but I didn't care and needed it working. Trust me, I've put a lot of experimentation into what seems like is becoming a project now. To me, the experience is so variable. Each pen is different. You get a pen that defaults this pressure, another that defaults that... my OEM pen did not become sensitive enough and it was impossible even with adjustment. Then you have people who can get it so sensitive, they can write on the display merely by floating the pointer close enough...

I'm happy with the tablet otherwise. It's just so frustrating. Wacom product support and their pens are usually good technology, but Samsung did not think this through on the software end when they didn't even think to add a calibration utility or some kind of diagnostic panel that at least tells us what pressure is being applied, the XY coordinates, nothing... it's just not helpful when you're having these kinds of problems. It's an expensive device, there should be some kind of support for this sort of problem... I called for some help with warranty and they told me I would have to send the whole tablet in... which is silly.

Last edited:

Aes28

Dec 27, 2012
Wacom product support and their pens are usually good technology, but Samsung did not think this through on the software end when they didn't even think to add a calibration utility or some kind of diagnostic panel that at least tells us what pressure is being applied, the XY coordinates, nothing... it's just not helpful when you're having these kinds of problems.

I found a tool that gives you the kind of information you're talking about inside the Developer Options -> Input -> Show pointer location. "Screen overlay showing current touch data." When I turned it on I got a nice status bar a the top that tells you your location on the screen and it also has a pressure meter. It may not be exactly what you're talking about but I figured I'd point it out.