[Script][A2SD]Darktremor 2.7.5.3 Beta 04 [Tattoo] (01/29/2011)

Search This thread

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info
Introducing...
Darktremor Apps2SD 2.7.5.3 Beta 04
Date of Release: January 29, 2011

Download Current Version

Instructions - Change Log - Commands - ROM List - Developer's Guide
Darktremor Apps2SD Fan Page ---- Darktremor Apps2SD Development Group

Are you installing Darktremor Apps2SD on your phone? Here are the instructions to help you: Facebook
Are you a developer wanting to include Darktremor Apps2SD in your latest ROM? Here is the Developer Guide: Facebook
Update on Beta 4
It seems I'm getting mixed results with these betas. I'm not sure why this is occurring, some people have been able to get this working right while others have had a hard time with it.

Currently, I'm rebuilding the entire program. This takes a while because I have to figure out how to pack all these options into the program but make it small enough to where it will run correctly.

I will say that some of the beta features are coming back out...one of them is the search for a partition code. I suspect that code may be leading me into issues with certain platforms, so I'm going back to the 2.7.5.2 method of mounting (mmcblk0p2 or mmcblk1p2).

Also, parts of the code will use Busybox Ash (the only code that won't will be starta2sd, which will still use Bash for the time being). The startup code will definitely use Busybox Ash.

Until then, here are the links to the the last two betas and the last official release:

Version 2.7.5.3 Beta 04 - http://www.darktremor.info/files/a2sd/dtapps2sd-2.7.5.3-beta04-signed.zip
Version 2.7.5.3 Beta 03 - http://www.darktremor.info/files/a2sd/dtapps2sd-2.7.5.3-beta03-signed.zip
Version 2.7.5.2-1 - http://www.darktremor.info/files/a2sd/dtapps2sd-2.7.5.2-1-signed.zip

And, if you want past versions, you can view the repository: ftp://dtuser:Darktremor1@ftp.darktremor.info (ignore the smiley face...that's XDA doing that.)
Beta 04 took longer than I expected to release. I have done major changes to the code:

1. New commands: convert-ext4 - This will convert your EXT3 partition into EXT4. Just a friendly reminder on this command: Not every rom supports EXT4, so it is possible to go into a boot loop if you switch roms. Use with caution.

2. Reworked convert-ext3 (convert-ext4 gets similar code)...now a flag file is set before the reboot (no conversion is done before the reboot). At load time, the conversion is performed. This takes longer in the reboot process and you may think your phone has locked up...wait about five minutes before doing anything with the phone.

3. Repair is rebuilt...now it uses existing commands to repair the setup (reinstall, remove, cachesd, cachepart, nocache, datasd, nodata). Definitely shrinks the code.

4. Added fix_permissions program to the package. This may help with Superuser issues when using the datasd feature. It is used in reinstall, remove, datasd and nodata.

5. a2sd install is back!!! Both a2sd install and a2sd reinstall do the exact same thing.

6. Dalvik heap code has been shrunk and now creates a file called dalvikheap. Actually, the code has been doing this all along (since about 2.7.5.2, I think), but I never put the code in to use the file.

7. Low Memory Killer code has also been shrunk and uses a file caled dtset_lowmem to set the low memory killer parameter.

8. Replaced Busybox PS function with Toolbox PS. The issue with Busybox PS is that it gives a false reading when I look for android.process.acore (which is the main program when the GUI starts up). If that is present, the program thinks you are trying to run Darktremor without any command line parameters. This was because Busybox would report the process was there when, in reality, it wasn't (validated this when my phone was boot looping.) Toolbox's PS reports the correct setting. This should fix the bootlooping issues some people are experiencing.

9. New commands: usedtbusybox and usedefaultbusybox - these commands may help in diagnosing issues that is may be related to the native Busybox on your rom. a2sd usedtbusybox will use the Busybox that is packaged with Darktremor. a2sd usedefaultbusybox will turn back on the scan behavior of the program introduced in Beta 03.

10. Support for Darktremor Apps2SD version 2.7 and earlier has been discontinued. To upgrade correctly from one of those versions, use version 2.7.5.3 Beta 03b or earlier.

11. Finally fixed stalled boot issues (or at least my tests with several roms says so.)

See the change log for additional details.

You will notice that if the program runs repair and finds a problem, it will correct the issue and reboot. You will see a second reboot when the dalvik-cache clears (this is to fix timing issues with CyanogenMod...I can't control that startup as well as I can other roms). This only happens if repair is ran or you flash a new rom (as repair will realign all data). If you are upgrading from a previous version of Darktremor, you should not see the reboots.
This is Darktremor Apps2SD, a multipurpose program that primarily allows a user to execute applications created for the Android OS on their Secure Digital card (with the proper setup...more on that later). But, Darktremor Apps2SD is all about stability. The goal is to be able for all users of the Android OS to be able to take advantage of a method to run their applications from a secure digital card.

But just because the Darktremor Apps2SD is all about stability, doesn't mean it isn't packed with features:

- Move applications (both free and paid) to the Secure Digital card.
- Move Dalvik Cache to run either from your Secure Digital card or from your cache partition and clears the cache on demand.
- Boot Loop Protection: prevents the phone from boot looping in the event the SD card could not be mounted.
- Dalvik JIT for faster performance on Roms which support it.
- User selectable sizes for the Dalvik heap sizes, allowing a user to freely optimize their system.
- Activate a swap partition on your SD card and sets how often the swap partition is utilized.
- Automatically fixes configuration issues.
- Users can check the free space on their SD card and check the installation to make sure all is setup correctly.
- Runs ZipAlign on demand...this makes your programs load faster.
- Built in help system for easy reference of commands.
- All features can also be reversed without repartitioning your Secure Digital card.
- New logging features assists in troubleshooting issues.
- Commands to set the Low Memory Killer feature at boot time. Great for those people who are the "set it and forget it" type.
- And more...

Darktremor Apps2SD is not the same as Froyo Apps2SD. Froyo Apps2SD creates a secure folder on the FAT32 section of your SD card (this is the section that you see when you mount your phone to your computer) and stores the programs there. This is nice as you don't have to do anything special with the phone, but it isn't backwards compatible with older versions of Android (Cupcake, Donut, Eclair) and, because of the way Froyo works, older programs not designed for Froyo will automatically stay on your internal storage (unless you install a program that forces the move to your SD card).

Darktremor Apps2SD takes a different approach. Based on the original CyanogenMod works, Darktremor Apps2SD uses symbolic linking to force Android into moving your applications to the SD card. Because Android will not allow anything to be ran from the FAT32 partition on your SD card (and, in Froyo, it will only allow you to run programs from a special folder), Darktremor utilizes filesystems called EXT2, EXT3 and EXT4. Each one of these filesystems is native to Linux (the operating system running Android), which allows you to run programs from them (same as, say, a computer running Ubuntu). This method is completely compatible with all versions of Android, including Froyo. In fact, you can run both the Darktremor Apps2SD and Froyo Apps2SD at the same time.

Check out the list of Roms that either have Darktremor Apps2SD installed or are compatible with Darktremor Apps2SD. Click on the link labeled ROM List at the top of this message.

Last edited:

dancer_69

Jan 2, 2007
I just tried to flash Apps2SD 2.7.5 RC1, but installation fails:
------------------------------------------------
E: Failure at line 48:
set_perm 0 0 0777 SYSTEM:xbin/a2sd

Installation aborted.
-----------------------------------------------
Is there something that I can do?

HCDR.Jacob

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 8, 2010
Gateshead
I love this script. I think I'm going to be using it in the next version of my ROM. Thanks for making it, it's great :D

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info
It shouldn't do that.

Try the RC3 (about to release it): http://www.darktremor.info/files/a2sd/dtapps2sd-2.7.5-rc3-signed.zip

If that doesn't work, let me know and we go from there. There's a recovery log file that is created...I just have to remember where it is at (was looking at it just this morning).

I just tried to flash Apps2SD 2.7.5 RC1, but installation fails:
------------------------------------------------
E: Failure at line 48:
set_perm 0 0 0777 SYSTEM:xbin/a2sd

Installation aborted.
-----------------------------------------------
Is there something that I can do?

pardol

Jan 14, 2009
i have installed your APPS2SD on a Tattoo with a shipped non modified rom (I rooted my phone and have ARMON 1.6 recovery though) fine however after the reboot I didn't notice any difference so i checked the with apps2sd check command. here is the output

# a2sd check
a2sd check
[ ] Apps2SD is launching...
[ ] Starting Apps2SD Check Program.
[ ] Searching for Mount Point...
[Ô£ö] Mount point /data/sd located.
[ ] Checking for ext partition
[Ô£û] Ext partition found, but not mounted.
Your rom may not be setup to run Apps2SD.
Check with your rom developer if the boot image
is programmed to run Apps2SD.

Your partition may be using an EXT4 partition,
but your rom may not support EXT4. Repartition
your SD card to use EXT2 or EXT3.

please note i have formatted my sd and have done a ext2->ext3 already.

what should i do now ?

Last edited:

HCDR.Jacob

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 8, 2010
Gateshead
i have installed your APPS2SD on a Tattoo with a shipped non modified rom (I rooted my phone and have ARMON 1.6 recovery though) fine however after the reboot I didn't notice any difference so i checked the with apps2sd check command. here is the output

# a2sd check
a2sd check
[ ] Apps2SD is launching...
[ ] Starting Apps2SD Check Program.
[ ] Searching for Mount Point...
[Ô£ö] Mount point /data/sd located.
[ ] Checking for ext partition
[Ô£û] Ext partition found, but not mounted.
Your rom may not be setup to run Apps2SD.
Check with your rom developer if the boot image
is programmed to run Apps2SD.

Your partition may be using an EXT4 partition,
but your rom may not support EXT4. Repartition
your SD card to use EXT2 or EXT3.

please note i have formatted my sd and have done a ext2->ext3 already.

what should i do now ?

Stock ROM doesn't support A2SD as it has no means to execute the script.

Try HCDR.ROM or PuzzleROM :)

pardol

Jan 14, 2009
Ahh. Makes more sense now.

Sent from my HTC Tattoo using XDA App

Further to your last message i have accidentally found this link where it shows how to move the apps to /system/sd and then all should work.

i have not done anything as such because i am not too familiar with shell scripting and want to avoid to brick the phone.

I know you said APPS2SD does not work with stock roms (not sure why but you are the master here :> ). can this help or there is no way to get it to work ?

pardol

Jan 14, 2009
actually i noted i am missing a kin d of pre-requisite to complete the script: there is no system/sd entry when using this command so i guess no hope

busybox df -h

busybox df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
tmpfs 93.0M 0 93.0M 0% /dev
tmpfs 4.0M 0 4.0M 0% /sqlite_stmt_journals
/dev/block/mtdblock3 150.0M 139.9M 10.1M 93% /system
/dev/block/mtdblock5 165.1M 142.1M 23.0M 86% /data
/dev/block/mtdblock4 150.0M 3.1M 146.9M 2% /cache
/dev/block//vold/179:1
5.8G 1.8G 4.0G 31% /sdcard

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info
It doesn't work with Stock roms because there's no command in init.rc to launch Apps2SD (which is part of the boot.img). Now, you can modify the boot.img (or get an already modified boot.img) to add support. It will retain the stock rom feel but has a modified boot image.

Further to your last message i have accidentally found this link where it shows how to move the apps to /system/sd and then all should work.

i have not done anything as such because i am not too familiar with shell scripting and want to avoid to brick the phone.

I know you said APPS2SD does not work with stock roms (not sure why but you are the master here :> ). can this help or there is no way to get it to work ?

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info
That is because the EXT partition isn't mounted, so Linux (the OS behind Android) doesn't see an EXT partition on the SD card (needs a mount command to be executed, which Apps2SD does, but the rom doesn't launch the program).

actually i noted i am missing a kin d of pre-requisite to complete the script: there is no system/sd entry when using this command so i guess no hope

busybox df -h

busybox df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
tmpfs 93.0M 0 93.0M 0% /dev
tmpfs 4.0M 0 4.0M 0% /sqlite_stmt_journals
/dev/block/mtdblock3 150.0M 139.9M 10.1M 93% /system
/dev/block/mtdblock5 165.1M 142.1M 23.0M 86% /data
/dev/block/mtdblock4 150.0M 3.1M 146.9M 2% /cache
/dev/block//vold/179:1
5.8G 1.8G 4.0G 31% /sdcard

vantoman

Aug 31, 2010
Alexandria
i have the same problem and in order to run A2SD i have to mount the EXT3 Partition manually ; anyone knows how to auto mount the ext3 partition at system startup ?!!

pardol

Jan 14, 2009
ok. i have been able to install a2sd correctly and have it running since a ferw weeks now. The only flipside is i need a PC to be able to reboot the phone since the Ext3 partition does not start.

Is there a command i can put in the init.rc file to autorun a2sd in place of doing a

adb shell a2sd

every time i reboot the phone ?

ut0zw2

Sep 8, 2007
Hi, how about if after start up , manually mount the ext3 partition and manually run apps2sd app ? As I rarely reboot the system so I think this can be an alternative solution. but could someone let me know the command ? thx