Unbrick your Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Search This thread

capanov

Sep 16, 2009
How to fix soft bricked galaxy nexus

I Bricked my Galaxy Nexus and there wasn´t anything i could do too fix it. But here is my fix and solution:

When you soft brick your phone you see only "phone -warning triangle- computer" when you power your phone. There is nothing to do, the phone wont be recognized in any platform or program then Odin.
In Odin with installed nexus galaxy driver in windows you can se that the phone is connected. But you cant flash it or do odin restore.

The solution:
On windows xp with installed nexus galaxy drivers.

1. Start Odin 3 v1.85
2. For PDA choose CF-Root-GGN_YAKJU_ICL53F-v5.1 (google and download it)
3. Power your Nexus Galaxy ( screen shows "phone- warning- computer") and connect it to you're PC.
4. START

Your Nexus Galaxy is back to track…..

PS: your phone whil boot whith dead android picture.. DONT do anything it whil reboot after 3-5 minutes by its self..

Fastest solution

Last edited:
Reactions: Axmore and ubatavia

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
Hard to believe that you lost fastboot mode on your phone. Did you try booting into fastboot mode (hold vol down/vol up then press power)?

Once in fastboot mode, just flash a stock image.

capanov

Sep 16, 2009
Re:

Think what you want. it was hard for me to believe that i was getting my expensive phone "soft bricked". You can´t get the phone in fastboot mode or any other.

By the way, thanks for instructions on how to put the phone in fastboot mode :) ...
the day you get a soft brick on your galaxy nexus, you will see that the only thing is to do as described above.

Sincerely, C : -

Last edited:

geemaan

Apr 4, 2010
I got this screen too a while ago but it was a hardware issue so the motherboard got exchanged.

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
Please excuse me; I was only trying to understand. So putting the phone into fastboot mode resulted in the same "phone -warning triangle- computer" display?

I posted as I did because CF-Root-GGN_YAKJU_ICL53F-v5.1 is actually a rooted kernel from chainfire which flashes to the boot partition. In fact, that's what your Odin shot showed: "Firmware update start", followed by "boot.img". That indicated to me that your bootloader partition may have been still good since you can't boot without a valid bootloader partition. Fixing the kernel wouldn't have changed that. I was under the impression that fastboot itself is a bootloader partition function...

Also, this isn't a blanket fix since to avoid "soft bricking", LTE GNex owners should use CF-Root-GGN_MYSID_ICL53F-v5.1 instead.

For those of you who are interested in learning more about/obtaining these kernels for toro/maguro, go here.

Last edited:
Reactions: mxjcmxjc

capanov

Sep 16, 2009
tutorial or not ....

The only thing I know is that I tried everything .....
the only thing that helped was that what is stated.

What I want is to help others in my situation ...
Use at your own risk ..
I know that was what solved it for me ..

It's good to know if there are others who are helped in this way ..
Please write about it ...

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
Well, I don't know much about the Odin tool, and I'm still pretty much in learning mode on this device myself. I don't doubt that this technique fixed your soft brick error and I'm bookmarking this thread just in case it happens to me while playing with my AOSP environment, but I am intrigued by how....

salym

Mar 3, 2012

I Bricked my Galaxy Nexus and there wasn´t anything i could do too fix it. But here is my fix and solution:

When you soft brick your phone you see only "phone -warning triangle- computer" when you power your phone. There is nothing to do, the phone wont be recognized in any platform or program then Odin.
In Odin with installed nexus galaxy driver in windows you can se that the phone is connected. But you cant flash it or do odin restore.

The solution:

1. Start Odin 3 v1.85
3. Power your Nexus Galaxy ( screen shows "phone- warning- computer") and connect it to you're PC.
4. START

PS: your phone whil boot whith dead android picture.. DONT do anything it whil reboot after 3-5 minutes by its self..

Fastest solution

hey dude it worked for me THANKZ THANKZZ THAKNZZZZ so muchhhhhh really appreciate your help, i will just install a new rom now can u advice a good rom for battery and customization please thnkz again to you and for all.

---------- Post added at 01:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 AM ----------

Please excuse me; I was only trying to understand. So putting the phone into fastboot mode resulted in the same "phone -warning triangle- computer" display?

I posted as I did because CF-Root-GGN_YAKJU_ICL53F-v5.1 is actually a rooted kernel from chainfire which flashes to the boot partition. In fact, that's what your Odin shot showed: "Firmware update start", followed by "boot.img". That indicated to me that your bootloader partition may have been still good since you can't boot without a valid bootloader partition. Fixing the kernel wouldn't have changed that. I was under the impression that fastboot itself is a bootloader partition function...

Also, this isn't a blanket fix since to avoid "soft bricking", LTE GNex owners should use CF-Root-GGN_MYSID_ICL53F-v5.1 instead.

For those of you who are interested in learning more about/obtaining these kernels for toro/maguro, go here.

thaknz to you also buddy so much keep helping other God will help you first

capanov

Sep 16, 2009
Re:

Sorry for the delay but had to work with my study .... doing "master of medical science" ...

Now back to the playground :) ... finally ..

Related to the SALYM's post:
I like the original yakju rom...

1. google and download image-yakju-icl53f.zip and unpack ( make sure it is zip file and not. tar)
2. google and download fastboot

3. use the fastboot commands .... tex in macos:

cd (path to the folder where you put all the files together)

./fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-maguro-primekk15.img
./fastboot reboot-bootloader
sleep 5
./fastboot flash radio radio-maguro-i9250xxkk6.img
./fastboot reboot-bootloader
sleep 5
./fastboot -w update image-yakju-icl53f.zip

That's all ...

PS i bricked my nexus again and succesufully got it fixed with my guide ... in just 5 seconds .... :)

Last edited:

Rabidaries

May 24, 2011
Odin flashing, flashing stock images, bootloaders nothing work for my awkwardly bricked GSM nexus. If I try to flash a stock image, when I type in fastboot reboot-bootlader to reboot, my screen goes to a gray, gradient burnt looking image, then slowly fades to black and doesn't flash it at all. Using Odin, still stuck at pretty Google logo lol It's not really bricked per say, as I can get into fastboot mode, (no recovery without a million file doesn't exist errors, so no flashing roms or nandroids) but in fastboot mode, it won't take flashing stock images, bootloader.img, recovery.img nothin. When it tries, just gets the gray screen of death

Mendedlogic

May 13, 2011
HELP!! I have a VZW SGN unlocked and rooted running Axiom crossbreed rom today I kept getting this pop up saying I had a system update.. I kept clicking to remind me later because I know you cant do the update over a custom rom.. So Im in the middle of a text message and the screen goes black and my phone is now in a boot loop.. I tried to remedy this thru fastboot and in CWM reflashing the rom wiping data everything my last resort was Odin, which I tried but it hung at <ID:0/007> NAND Write Start!! after 10 or more minutes I removed usb and did a batt pull now I am only left with ONE screen and thats phone icon, yellow triangle with a ! in the middle and computer icon.. No matter what I do thats the ONLY screen I have.. So after MANY hours of research and reading I found this to try>
1. Start Odin 3 v1.85
4. START

It acts like its doing something there a blue full line bar under the phone icon yellow triangle with the ! in the middle and computer icon now.. and on the Odin box where it should be GREEN and say PASS its GREEN but only says BOOT and this is what its saying below that> <ID:0/007> Added!!
<ID:0/007> Odin v.3 engine (ID:7)..
<ID:0/007> File analysis..
<ID:0/007> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/007> Initialzation..
<ID:0/007> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/007> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/007> boot.img
<ID:0/007> NAND Write Start!! < Once again hanging here.. Cant someone PLEASE for all the tea in China help me out b4 they have to sedate me and haul me off in a white jacket!!

n2ishun

Jul 30, 2010
For Verizon cdma

Check the PDA line and put this file in it
"VzW-PDA-ODIN-I515EL03_ICL53F_signed"

Check the phone line and put this file in it
"VzW-PHONE-ODIN-SCH-I515.EK02_LTE"

You should be able to google up those files easily (since I don't have hosting space these days).

You need both of those files, 1 will not do and will bork you worse than you are now.

Mendedlogic

May 13, 2011
For Verizon cdma

Check the PDA line and put this file in it
"VzW-PDA-ODIN-I515EL03_ICL53F_signed"

Check the phone line and put this file in it
"VzW-PHONE-ODIN-SCH-I515.EK02_LTE"

You should be able to google up those files easily (since I don't have hosting space these days).

You need both of those files, 1 will not do and will bork you worse than you are now.

I have both of those files and have been trying relentless to get it to work but Odin hangs at (NAND Write Stop!!) every time I know the bootloader img is in the pda but is there one maybe separate does anyone know was thinking if I can atleast try that too..

---------- Post added at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

I guess you're one of those people that have reading issues.....???

Look up.

Obviously Im not the one with reading issues, I was referring to the ROOT file.. Is there a reason for the rudeness really? Just trying to get my phone working again that's all

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The solution:

1. Start Odin 3 v1.85
    4. START

Fastest solution

There should also be an option in the command line version of heimdall to get rid of that screen and get the phone to boot normally. Don't know if it will work on the nexus but I know it worked when I had a Fascinate.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App