[Q] Signal - S3 vs S5

Search This thread

ddog511

Mar 5, 2013
I know that there is this thread - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2713214 but they don't seem to answer the question based on an S3, so I'm curious for those of you that swtiched from the S3 to the S5, did you notice any better signal everywhere you use it?

the reason for my question is this: I'm looking to upgrade from the S3, but I want a phone that I'm going to get a better signal with. I like Samsung, but am up to considering other android phones if one is specifically better with signal than the S5.

So, again, coming from the S3 to the S5, did you notice any better signal for calls/text/data?

Thanks

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
I know that there is this thread - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2713214 but they don't seem to answer the question based on an S3, so I'm curious for those of you that swtiched from the S3 to the S5, did you notice any better signal everywhere you use it?

the reason for my question is this: I'm looking to upgrade from the S3, but I want a phone that I'm going to get a better signal with. I like Samsung, but am up to considering other android phones if one is specifically better with signal than the S5.

So, again, coming from the S3 to the S5, did you notice any better signal for calls/text/data?

Thanks

No 32GB option, so I stuck with my S4. Hopefully the S5 prime has a 32GB version.

ddog511

Mar 5, 2013
I had also been considering the HTC One M8, but from what I've been reading, the radios in that device are worse than the samsung ones. I wonder if this is beginning to be a trend... Of course, there's also the draw of S-Off and root on that device. Ultimately, it comes down to this - my S3 had absolutely no signal where 3 of my buddies' iPhones had signal as did my brother's Moto X. It was very frustrating, so I want to make sure that my next phone has better signal.

trehouse

Nov 29, 2006

Thanks

I just got my S5 and I'm dropping calls where I never did with my S3. VZW thinks it could be a device issue and are waiting for my word to ship me a new replacement. I'll keep testing today and update this thread and also if I end up replacing it after receiving a new one.

ddog511

Mar 5, 2013
I just got my S5 and I'm dropping calls where I never did with my S3. VZW thinks it could be a device issue and are waiting for my word to ship me a new replacement. I'll keep testing today and update this thread and also if I end up replacing it after receiving a new one.

Thanks for the info. Definitely give an update if you can.

TCM55

Jul 8, 2011
I noticed no difference in signal strength between my S3 and S5, both are great. Although the S5 does get access to the much faster AWS LTE.

evilhunter101

Sep 13, 2010
All of West Texas
I went to the S5 from a Note 2. The S5 seems to have slightly better signal and seems to hold onto lower signal longer before switching to CDMA. That's the best part; the S5 switches between radios much quicker than the Note 2 did. When I lost LTE on the Note 2, it would take over a minute usually to switch to CDMA and even longer when it felt like switching back to LTE. When the S5 switches, it's usually functional within two or so seconds. Love it.

sz1980

May 21, 2014
s3 to s5

Thanks

I went from an S3 to an S5 and have noticed the signal is much better on the S5, but that is not always the case. I had the S3 since it came out and never had issues with 4G at work or other places when the signal was good. The S5 seems to have issues connecting with 4G at the same places I have used the S3 where I never had issues before (e.g. work and other frequented places). So far it only seems to affect text and data. When I do have issues, I am able to receive text messages, but not send text messages. Also, data does not work at all. I have to change the network on my S5 to CDMA to get it work. When I arrive to work, I have to change it to CDMA and when I leave work I change back to 4G. Using the automatic network mode setting does not help either since it stays on the 4G setting. I have had the same issues at other places, but I don't visit those places daily. I called Sprint and they couldn't anything for me.

Reactions: ddog511

ddog511

Mar 5, 2013
I went from an S3 to an S5 and have noticed the signal is much better on the S5, but that is not always the case. I had the S3 since it came out and never had issues with 4G at work or other places when the signal was good. The S5 seems to have issues connecting with 4G at the same places I have used the S3 where I never had issues before (e.g. work and other frequented places). So far it only seems to affect text and data. When I do have issues, I am able to receive text messages, but not send text messages. Also, data does not work at all. I have to change the network on my S5 to CDMA to get it work. When I arrive to work, I have to change it to CDMA and when I leave work I change back to 4G. Using the automatic network mode setting does not help either since it stays on the 4G setting. I have had the same issues at other places, but I don't visit those places daily. I called Sprint and they couldn't anything for me.

This is very helpful, thank you. I wonder though, if the Sprint radios are different from the Verizon ones as far as signal strength and quality... It would be interesting to find out whether the Verizon version has the same issues where 4g connected just fine with the S3, but has issues on the S5 as you had experienced.

BeefJerky9

Sep 29, 2008

This is very helpful, thank you. I wonder though, if the Sprint radios are different from the Verizon ones as far as signal strength and quality... It would be interesting to find out whether the Verizon version has the same issues where 4g connected just fine with the S3, but has issues on the S5 as you had experienced.
I'm a Verizon user and have not experienced any of those issues that sz1980 has. I get reliable data and text in the places where my S3 did. I do also notice better reception in fringe/weak areas, such as at work where I get terrible reception. With the S3 I never could make a phone call, and text sending was hit or miss. With the S5 I can actually make a phone call, and text sending has been quite reliable.

Maybe your phone is simply defective sz1980. Have you tried exchanging it?

sz1980

May 21, 2014
I'm a Verizon user and have not experienced any of those issues that sz1980 has. I get reliable data and text in the places where my S3 did. I do also notice better reception in fringe/weak areas, such as at work where I get terrible reception. With the S3 I never could make a phone call, and text sending was hit or miss. With the S5 I can actually make a phone call, and text sending has been quite reliable.

Maybe your phone is simply defective sz1980. Have you tried exchanging it?

I have not because I don't think it's defective. If it were sporadic I would, but as soon as I am close to my desk at work, the issue starts. It appears I have signal, but as soon as I attempt a call, send a text, or use data the LTE symbol greys out. Again, it consistently happens at my desk where the S3 always worked.

BeefJerky9

Sep 29, 2008
I have not because I don't think it's defective. If it were sporadic I would, but as soon as I am close to my desk at work, the issue starts. It appears I have signal, but as soon as I attempt a call, send a text, or use data the LTE symbol greys out. Again, it consistently happens at my desk where the S3 always worked.
It sure sounds defective to me; besides, what's the harm in doing an exchange? At least this way you'd be able to rule out the hardware as the issue. That said, it sounds like you don't want to do that, so it seems you just want to complain and not actually get the problem fixed.

geronimo48

Jun 28, 2012
Charleston, SC

Thanks

My previous phone wasn't a Samsung, so I am not answering your question, but much of my work requires me to be in rural - even remote areas. My Verizon S5 is frequently the only phone in the room with a connection. I also used to have shaky connections at home (on Verizon). I now have a solid connection for both data and calls and have no dropped calls. I LOVE this phone!

scallawag

Dec 22, 2013
Does not answer your question but

Thanks

I used to use iPhones so I don't go back with android to the S3 but recently have owned and used iPhone 5, LG G2, HTC One M8, Galaxy S5, Galaxy S5 developers edition and Moto Maxx Developers edition and hands down the Droid Maxx has the best reception. Note that all have been on Verizon so it may be different on different carriers (droid is Verizon only). Recently drove with my son from VA to CA. Son used the LG and I the Maxx. Maxx had better reception from coast to coast. Of course a lot of places neither one of us had any reception.
That said the S5 is good and I am enjoying my new Dev edition S5.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've noticed a great improvement in regards to signal on the gs5. It even seems to be a tad better than my Note 3 as far as keeping lte. I'm in a rural area too by the way.
    s3 to s5

Thanks