BackLight brightness adjust command line utility for Kaiser aka TYTN II

Search This thread

lobsterii

Jul 22, 2008
I dunno if I'm only one who has this problem but when I'm occasionally on sun I can't see nothing on my Kaiser and it's really difficult to setup backlight brightness on touchscreen which u can't see.... So I've been looking alot if there is some utility which I can link with button or gesture and I haven't found anything... So I've wrote my own utility. Feel free to use it as well if u find it useful -> http://lobster.ic.cz/?page=bl

is this useful or is there easier way to do that??

Last edited:

silentanvil

Dec 26, 2007
I made a cab with this program mapped to the PTT button. I have a AT&T Tilt, Im not sure if your phone has a PTT button or if its called something else or whatever.

With this, just run the cab then I tap the button and it changed the brightness really quickly, no menu or anything, I love it! If I walk out into the sun I just tap the button 3 times and my screen is bright.

Lobsterii, I love this program thanks a ton!

lobsterii

Jul 22, 2008
I'm glad that I could helped u out guys... actually there might be more funny stuff possible only if HTC release some documentation on theirs DLL files cos it's pain to guess arguments...

pudifoot

Jan 8, 2008
Truly excellent! I have also been looking for something like this for a long time. :)

I figured I might as well kick off the feature requests that always follow a new release: How about the option set both battery and power brightness with one command? Perhaps by a special switch, or by only specifying the brightness level (i.e. no 'b' or 'p' switch)? Or is there a way to do it already?

Thanks again for a useful app!

lobsterii

Jul 22, 2008
you did it all by guessing? I figured you would have decompiled the dll.
I've read some forum where someone pointed out that backlight function should be in some dll by HTC dunno where it was... Then I was googling "dll find export function" and I've found prog "DLL Export Viewer" which can show function names in dll. Unfortunatelly there is generally impossible to find out how many/what arguments the function has. So I've found function name like HTCUtilSetOnBatteryBrightnessLevel and I've simply try prototype int HTCUtilSetOnBatteryBrightnessLevel(int); but it crashed... so I keep going like int HTCUtilSetOnBatteryBrightnessLevel(int*); and it worked... voila...

Truly excellent! I have also been looking for something like this for a long time. :)

thx alot...

I figured I might as well kick off the feature requests that always follow a new release: How about the option set both battery and power brightness with one command? Perhaps by a special switch, or by only specifying the brightness level (i.e. no 'b' or 'p' switch)? Or is there a way to do it already?
done. + it's now compiled as an release version so it actually has 50KB less than old version... enjoy ;) it's at the same place instead original files http://www.lobster.3web.cz/bordel/bl/index.htm...

silentanvil

Dec 26, 2007
Nice improvements! how about another a switch so that it will toggle between brightest to dimmest? So if this was used it would just go between 1 or 10 and none in between.

pudifoot

Jan 8, 2008
Thanks for implementing the feature I was looking for. A perfect application - it's small and fast, and it gets the job done with excellence.

lobsterii

Jul 22, 2008
Nice improvements! how about another a switch so that it will toggle between brightest to dimmest? So if this was used it would just go between 1 or 10 and none in between.

hmhm... what I wouldn't do for y... There is new version 02 (on my web at the same place) where u can setup your own sequence. Length of sequence might be from 1 to 10... values are as usual from 0 to 9... But numbers must not repeat (known feature ;) I don't see point to solve it) so u can set something like "bl02.exe 0 5 1 9 3" or whatever else... enjoy ;)

Report any found bugs... I mean it's super simple but it's 4 am so I'm half sleeping...

ridr

Apr 23, 2008
hmhm... what I wouldn't do for y... There is new version 02 (on my web at the same place) where u can setup your own sequence. Length of sequence might be from 1 to 10... values are as usual from 0 to 9... But numbers must not repeat (known feature ;) I don't see point to solve it) so u can set something like "bl02.exe 0 5 1 9 3" or whatever else... enjoy ;)

Report any found bugs... I mean it's super simple but it's 4 am so I'm half sleeping...

Awesome! Thanks so much! I've also been looking everywhere for something like this!

ridr

Apr 23, 2008
How to use bl02...

Something from lobsterii that helped me:

create link in Total commander (file manager) I think its in options "File -> >>>>> -> Create shortcut" then I have another file bl02.lnk then I open properties of the lnk file, I click tab shortcut and put the text of path into "" and after it I wrote parameters so it looks like

"\Program files\bl\bl02.exe" 1 3 9

Jul 24, 2008
OK dumb question and first time posting so don't slaughter me.:D If I understand the thread correctly this will put large buttons to adjust from the Backlight screen....correct? Is there a program (other than the PTT button which I'm using) that will allow a button or swipe to adjust the brightness without having to open the brightness display? If you get far enough to open the utility then its not that hard to move the brightness up. Sorry for the dumbness of the question.

lobsterii

Jul 22, 2008
If I understand the thread correctly this will put large buttons to adjust from the Backlight screen....correct?

my bl02.exe doesn't put any button anywhere... it's just app which actually toggle brightness. U can try to run it via file explorer it should change brightness...

Is there a program (other than the PTT button which I'm using) that will allow a button or swipe to adjust the brightness without having to open the brightness display?

There is plenty of programs to map this app to buttons, finger swipes and some other crazy stuff like voice commands etc.. For example I'm using FTouchFlo (u can use FTouchSl which is easier to configure) and map backlight change for finger swipes... Most easy way is just copy blXX.exe to /Windows/Start Menu/Programs/blxx.exe and then go to Start->Settings->(tab)Personal->Buttons and link it with some buton...

I'm just now at work so have no time for more explanation... but Once I get home I'll create some FAQ at download page cos... cos it'll be easier for all of us ;)

Jul 24, 2008
dont sweat it that was a perfect explanation and I now have it helped me to get it running to a button.

One other quick question though....I have S2U2. So the button doesn't work until I have unlocked it (which sometimes is hard to see going out to daylight) is there any way (easy way, Im no programmer)to allow the button to work (that is brighten the display via the button I have it mapped to) while it is still locked?

holmanm

Apr 13, 2006
dont sweat it that was a perfect explanation and I now have it helped me to get it running to a button.

One other quick question though....I have S2U2. So the button doesn't work until I have unlocked it (which sometimes is hard to see going out to daylight) is there any way (easy way, Im no programmer)to allow the button to work (that is brighten the display via the button I have it mapped to) while it is still locked?

I'm sure he won't be able to bypass A_C's S2U2, but (assuming you have a Kaiser, you didn't say) if you enable dpad in S2U2 you can always hold your right dpad button to make sure S2U2 is unlocked, even if you can't see the screen, and then hit the button for the "bl02.exe 9" link.

Jul 24, 2008
Ha ha...you guys are awesome! Right Dpad enabled and now it works like a charm even in the brightest sun!! Thanks for the great application...makes a big difference in usability.

Some of you experts ought to make a list of these application gems (this program/kaeser tweaks etc) to make it easy for the noobs like me. This is good stuff!!:eek: