Please help - bricked my phone?!

Search This thread

Lisali

Dec 29, 2010
Hi guys,

I need help! I messed up my phone :(

I tried installing Cyanogen mod as advised here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1338183

and it seemed to work fine and booted into the mod. However, I then noticed that I did not have any Google apps (I thought they would be there), so I checked the thread on XDA that said that you needed to flash those too. So when I tried to do that, by using Bootstrap recovery and rebooting, my phone is now stuck booting with the red "M". Nothing else happens.

I have tried booting into recovery, but only stock recovery is available. I have tried wiping data/cache, it did not work. I have tried renaming the mod to update.zip and applying that, but it says "signature verification failed".

Please, please help! What can I do?

PS: I did try posting in the relevant thread, but the forum will not let me post in the development section.

Thanks a million!

Lisali

Dec 29, 2010
Thanks so much for your reply. Not sure which SBF file to choose? I am in the UK. Thanks!

Lisali

Dec 29, 2010

Thanks so much! That guide was very useful, with a few modifications:

Phone needs to be UNPLUGGED first, then powered on like this: camera + volume down + power. Then connect USB cable. You also need Motorola drivers and the latest version of RSD that MUST be run as admin. The SBF file MUST be in the RSD application folder. Then it worked! Phew!

A million, million thanks! :)

Last edited:

Negruslito

Mar 12, 2011
São Paulo
twitter.com

Phone needs to be UNPLUGGED first, then powered on line this: camera + volume down + power. Then connect USB cable. You also need Motorola drivers and the latest version of RSD that MUST be run as admin. The SBF file MUST be in the RSD application folder. Then it worked! Phew!

;)
Do not use bootstrap with any custom.. will brick your phone
Instead turn your phone on.. when 2nd M logo appears the led light will turn on (blue).. just press VOL-.. then go to Recovery, Latest Recovery.. this time use vol +- to navigate and power button to choose

Sorry about my poor English.. :p

Reactions: Lisali

Anonymous_

Jul 2, 2010
You have to use bootstrap, when you are on stock and want to custom rom. Without bootstrap, you can't install custom rom :)

After installing bootstrap, it's recommended to install newer CWM by installing http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1196590 from current CWM from bootstrap... And after that you can finally install custom ROM from updated CWM 3.1.

And AFTER installing custom rom, THEN you should NOT install bootstrap. You should not install bootstrap from custom rom ;) Hope it's clear now.

tl;dr: you MUST install bootstrap, to go into custom rom; you should not install bootstrap when/after you are actually on custom rom*

* (because custom rom has own 2nd init etc. and by installing bootstrap you would destroy it and cause brick (not permanent of course)

Lisali

Dec 29, 2010
You have to use bootstrap, when you are on stock and want to custom rom. Without bootstrap, you can't install custom rom :)

And AFTER installing custom rom, THEN you should NOT install bootstrap. You should not install bootstrap from custom rom ;) Hope it's clear now.

tl;dr: you MUST install bootstrap, to go into custom rom; you should not install bootstrap when/after you are actually on custom rom*

* (because custom rom has own 2nd init etc. and by installing bootstrap you would destroy it and cause brick (not permanent of course)

Thanks SO much for that, it makes sense now!

So once I have installed Cyanogen, and an update for it is released, how do I flash that? And will that delete all my data & apps?

Thanks!

Anonymous_

Jul 2, 2010

So once I have installed Cyanogen, and an update for it is released, how do I flash that? And will that delete all my data & apps?

Thanks!

Once you have CM installed, then when update is released, you simply go into recovery (hold power and select reboot, then recovery, then it will reboot into bootmenu, where you are supposed to choose boot, then recovery and then latest), where you find option named "install zip from sdcard". So you choose this option, then select zip file with update on your sd card and after success installation, select wipe cache and advanced wipe dalvik cache, then reboot and it should boot ok, with your apps and other data - but I always recommend to backup via titanium backup, before flashing any update, because if you meet any error, you have to wipe also data from recovery... and you lose your data and apps after data wipe :)

Reactions: Lisali

Lisali

Dec 29, 2010
Once you have CM installed, then when update is released, you simply go into recovery (hold power and select reboot, then recovery, then it will reboot into bootmenu, where you are supposed to choose boot, then recovery and then latest), where you find option named "install zip from sdcard". So you choose this option, then select zip file with update on your sd card and after success installation, select wipe cache and advanced wipe dalvik cache, then reboot and it should boot ok, with your apps and other data - but I always recommend to backup via titanium backup, before flashing any update, because if you meet any error, you have to wipe also data from recovery... and you lose your data and apps after data wipe :)

Thanks so much for your thorough explanation! This should be added to the main threat sticky. You're a star! :);):)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

After installing bootstrap, it's recommended to install newer CWM by installing http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1196590 from current CWM from bootstrap... And after that you can finally install custom ROM from updated CWM 3.1.

I'm not sure.. but I think "2.2.2 Service Version" -> UK

Phone needs to be UNPLUGGED first, then powered on line this: camera + volume down + power. Then connect USB cable. You also need Motorola drivers and the latest version of RSD that MUST be run as admin. The SBF file MUST be in the RSD application folder. Then it worked! Phew!

;)
    Do not use bootstrap with any custom.. will brick your phone
    Instead turn your phone on.. when 2nd M logo appears the led light will turn on (blue).. just press VOL-.. then go to Recovery, Latest Recovery.. this time use vol +- to navigate and power button to choose

Sorry about my poor English.. :p

Thanks!