Xperia Z Battery Issues Discussion Thread

Search This thread
G

GuestK00431

Every review I've read says the battery life is poor, so I'm guessing that it is and there's no defending it?

hebbe

Feb 21, 2008
And as far as Stamina mode goes, what does it do that I can't? Seems to shut everything down, which any user can do on their own.

As far as i know, stamina halts the background processes, except for the neccessary and white-listed ones. and that's something you can't do. if you shut down a needed process (manually or via a task-killer), then the android-system tries to restart the process... the novelty is, that this is implemented into the os' kernel. and the processes are paused, not shut down (starting them again costs more time and energy than just resuming).

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

Every review I've read says the battery life is poor, so I'm guessing that it is and there's no defending it?

it's not about defending, but about fairness and reliability.
when it's true that sony batteries do need a few charging cycles before having their full potential (as statet on various threads), then an early review isn't reliable in terms of statements about poor/good battery life.

when buying a new car, you have to run-in the engine. so you are not allowed to full throttle or to fully accelerate. then you cannot say the car/the engine is crap or poor just because on my first drive i couldn't get the promised acceleration from 0-100 in 6 seconds and couldn't drive the maximum speed of 200km/h?!

Reactions: michaleks
G

GuestK00431

As far as i know, stamina halts the background processes, except for the neccessary and white-listed ones. and that's something you can't do. if you shut down a needed process (manually or via a task-killer), then the android-system tries to restart the process... the novelty is, that this is implemented into the os' kernel. and the processes are paused, not shut down (starting them again costs more time and energy than just resuming).

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

it's not about defending, but about fairness and reliability.
when it's true that sony batteries do need a few charging cycles before having their full potential (as statet on various threads), then an early review isn't reliable in terms of statements about poor/good battery life.

when buying a new car, you have to run-in the engine. so you are not allowed to full throttle or to fully accelerate. then you cannot say the car/the engine is crap or poor just because on my first drive i couldn't get the promised acceleration from 0-100 in 6 seconds and couldn't drive the maximum speed of 200km/h?!

Dont get me wrong it is putting me off from the reviews but I still got it coming on Thursday and will judge for my self. If it does end up crap in the long run for my usage then i'll just sell its and get the S4 but time will tell. Willing to give Sony the chance.

Jun 17, 2012
Re: Xperia Z battery life

As the Z uses a lithium ion battery, priming the new battery over the first charge cycles shouldn't be required. The real issue here is that battery technology hasn't really progressed that far in the past 30 years or so. Phones are becoming more powerful and demanding more power in spite of efficiency savings in components. The battery life of any of the 2013 flagships won't be that spectacular when compared to, say the xperia arc, which can manage 2 days of moderately high usage. Just as the battery life on phones like the galaxy s3, galaxy s2 and one x are all relatively poor with their multi-core processors.

Even if a breakthrough technology was announced tomorrow, it would take years to be realised in a commercial setting. Realistically, if you want high usage out of a high-end phone then you'll have to make provision to charge it away from home - ie. a spare charger/dock that you can keep at work, an external battery pack that you can pop in your bag, a spare battery if you have the removable option. It's obviously not an ideal situation, but all phone manufacturers are restricted by the slow progress in battery technology improvement.

Last edited:
Reactions: nightwing369

TheNeighbor101

Jan 25, 2013
janeilarlegui.deviantart.com

As the Z uses a lithium ion battery, priming the new battery over the first charge cycles shouldn't be required. The real issue here is that battery technology hasn't really progressed that far in the past 30 years or so. Phones are becoming more powerful and demanding more power in spite of efficiency savings in components. The battery life of any of the 2013 flagships won't be that spectacular when compared to, say the xperia arc, which can manage 2 days of moderately high usage. Just as the battery life on phones like the galaxy s3, galaxy s2 and one x are all relatively poor with their multi-core processors.

Even if a breakthrough technology was announced tomorrow, it would take years to be realised in a commercial setting. Realistically, if you want high usage out of a high-end phone then you'll have to make provision to charge it away from home - ie. a spare charger/dock that you can keep at work, an external battery pack that you can pop in your bag, a spare battery if you have the removable option. It's obviously not an ideal situation, but all phone manufacturers are restricted by the slow progress in battery technology improvement.

And also to remind everyone that in order to maintain the efficiency and the ability to hold a good charge, you need to keep the charge in the region of 20% to 80%. This prolongs the battery life (that ability to hold the charge) even more so.

It's like you notice your laptop's battery losses to hold a charge after some time because it gets ruined with the constant charging. That's why you now see laptops getting their charging cut at 80%. I wonder when a utility app like this is implemented on Android.

Deep discharging with fully depleting the battery is not good either. This is the sort of maintenance that should be practiced even more with fixed batteries like in the XZ.

For more on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOi1NF7Ipek&feature=youtube_gdata_player

SG Note II rooted with stock 4.1.1

barondebxl

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA

Interesting. What would be spectacular by your standard? ( it's a serious question, I'm not being a smart ass :) )

Id love some new battery technology on our new powerful phones as well, but I think right now that the software and hardware should be as efficient as possible. Also shipping a phone like the droid DNA for example, with a 2020mah battery is just ridiculous.

I think that battery life like Note 2 and razr maxx hd should be the new standard, if the razr maxx can have a 3300 mah, why can't HTC or Sony do it too? Especially with no options to replace the battery.

Sent from my 3rd Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

stefanve

Oct 12, 2005
Interesting. What would be spectacular by your standard? ( it's a serious question, I'm not being a smart ass :) )

Id love some new battery technology on our new powerful phones as well, but I think right now that the software and hardware should be as efficient as possible. Also shipping a phone like the droid DNA for example, with a 2020mah battery is just ridiculous.

I think that battery life like Note 2 and razr maxx hd should be the new standard, if the razr maxx can have a 3300 mah, why can't HTC or Sony do it too? Especially with no options to replace the battery.

I think the only reason is weight en thickness.

maverick1103

Jun 16, 2011
Kidderminster

Agreed, those both phones have set the standard imo, I'd rather have a slightly thicker phone so it has a bigger battery! Tbh 9.3mm (Mot Razr Maxx) is still pretty thin! My Note 2 is a beast for battery life and I know I'm going to struggle when I get the XZ but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make! :cool:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

TheNeighbor101

Jan 25, 2013
janeilarlegui.deviantart.com

I understand that but something's gotta give. What's the point of shipping a killer looking phone with a killer design that is gonna spend 6-8 hours on charge (2 charges a day)?

"The battery survives well in standby mode, because of the handset’s power-saving facilities, with the display on juice drains quickly. We only got a tad over four hours when media streaming – insignificant when compared to the six hours from the HTC One X+."

Source:
http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/Feb2013...g-co-uk.html

This is even a worse look into battery performance! It would just mean that you need to plug this to charge whenever you can if you heavily use the XZ. Sony really needs to do better to increase WHILE the screen is on and not just when it's off.

Tell us honestly, actual users of this device: How much SCREEN-ON time do you actually get from a full charge? The above report says just over 4 hours. It's it the same?

brambizimski

Nov 24, 2010
"The battery survives well in standby mode, because of the handset’s power-saving facilities, with the display on juice drains quickly. We only got a tad over four hours when media streaming – insignificant when compared to the six hours from the HTC One X+."

Source:
http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/Feb2013...g-co-uk.html

This is even a worse look into battery performance! It would just mean that you need to plug this to charge whenever you can if you heavily use the XZ. Sony really needs to do better to increase WHILE the screen is on and not just when it's off.

Tell us honestly, actual users of this device: How much SCREEN-ON time do you actually get from a full charge? The above report says just over 4 hours. It's it the same?

You can't really tell that yet because the battery requires some powercycles to reach it's full potential, but there is a guy here, who speaks very good of the battery life.

Best current battery issue explanation ever.

Last edited:

stefanve

Oct 12, 2005
I understand that but something's gotta give. What's the point of shipping a killer looking phone with a killer design that is gonna spend 6-8 hours on charge (2 charges a day)?

I think it's all about your usage pattern, and looking at the first user reports it could be enough for me. Perhaps I only have to charge extra when my day will be extra long. But than I am able to charge it at work. I guess if you have a very long commute and watch a movie or two during that time it is not sufficient. But there are only a couple of phones that are sufficient for very heavy use.

G

GuestK00431

More hate about the battery life now from Slash Gear. Hope I wont be sending this phone back cause it looks lovely.

kyogiro

Jan 20, 2009
Paris

Battery life shouldn't get any better with some cycles when using lithium based tech (lithium ion or Li-Po).

What it will actually accomplish is a better software reading at your battery life remaining.

At first, the software will guess at its best what is you battery life level. After a full charge, it will know for as precise as it can, the 100 % mark. After a full discharge, it will know as well the 0% mark.
As for now, Android will shut down your device if the software thinks that you've reached 0% battery life while it could get a bad reading and you could still have 5 % (not likely to be wrong more than a few percent, 5 is actually huge).

I won't recommend to do that too often as a full discharge can harm lithium battery (I don't even bother to calibrate my battery as first aka doing 1 full cycle as it normally would be unnecessary).
1 full charge = effective 100% charge, if you charge 3 times you phone like this 30%, 20% then 50%, it will count as only 1 cycle.

Some manufacturers would recommend to do a full charge cycle once in a while (once per month), it's in order to redefine the max and mins marks especially if you don't use your device (not likely to be your smartphone, but could be a ipod like device) quite sure often as lithium tech based batteries have a better power consumption if continuously used.

Usually, most manufacturers would implement some safeguards to ensure that the system will never reach the actual 0% mark (not the software % that you could eventually read, not likely since it would shut down at below 1%) since it could really harm the battery (possibly deadly if reacher really low voltage per cell).

The way most moderns batteries lithium based are made, they would lose 20% of their capacity after 500 full charge cycles (~ 2 years depending on use).

Since most manufacturers implement safeguards and I'm only cautious when the battery power is very low, I don't really care about day to day use. Just charging every night because I want to have a full charged battery in the morning.

Apple guidelines regarding lithium : http://www.apple.com/batteries/

The only rule I follow : avoid depleting entirely the battery. Never got any problem if there wasn't one in the first place (defective battery that I replaced the following day).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
G

GuestK00431

Ausdroid rate the battery good. Odd how there's so many bad reviews and a few good ones.

Pros

Big, bright display – 5 inches of 1080p goodness. 440 ppi makes for a beautiful image.
Solid, yet slim, design that can withstand being dropped or drowned.
A close-to-stock Android experience, with a few Sony tweaks
Big, beautiful battery – 2330 mAh that lasts for hours and hours
Sony is developer-friendly. Rooting and modding is easy
Broad 4G support – works on Telstra and Optus 4G, and will support Telstra’s increased 4G spectrum.
Screamingly fast, however …

Cons
Inexplicable lag when typing, whether using Sony’s keyboard or the stock Android 4.2 keyboard
Colours on screen wash out unless you’re looking at the display straight-on
Some of the built-in apps, modified by Sony, are ugly. Calendar is a good example.
The edges of the handset feel a little rough. Some rounding would have helped.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, any real battery tests by users?

Using the Z yesterday I had over 9 hrs of use with 3.5 hours with the screen on (about 20 minutes of that with full brightness, rest of the time I had it about half brightness), 4g data, wifi and bluetooth on all day, facebook and twitter syncing every hour, email every 30 minutes plus a gmail account for push email, gtalk running full time, about 6 accounts syncing also used the camera a little bit for burst shots before I plugged it in to charge when I went to bed. Still had around 20% left. That is without the stamina mode on or any other battery saving features.

This phone last so much longer than my ion or TL. I don't think there is an issue with battery life here.
    After using the phone for over a week now I can honestly say that:

- Lasts 6-8 hours of constant heavy use, as in toy-mode
    - Lasts 1 full day, as in 6:00 to 22:00 of heavy use
    - Lasts over 48 hours when used as a phone, as in 1-2 hours of mp3, texts, few phone calls

It could be better, battery life could always be better, but i'm pretty happy with it. It gets me through the day without worrying about saving energy - that's all I asked for.

Today's usage:

uploadfromtaptalk1361253848743.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361253856641.jpg

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ Z
    Battery life is Decent,
    Screen according to the Docomo units and xiFIL is brilliant and nothing to be ashamed of, Viewing angles as proved in the Xperia Z screen discussion thread is not much oof a problem, although samxool likes to look at his phone sideways
    Battery is replaceable, just give it to Sony within the 2 years and they will change it for you if seomthing goes wrong, failing that i am sure guides will pop up how to remove the back cover
    terrible phone quality, DO NOt judge a phone when you have never used it,

HTC M7 HAD to be clocked higher with the SAME processor as Sense is laggy and slows the phone down,
    Samsung octa core propoganda clearly got to you, its 4 + 4 processor, two quads, they do not work together, only one quadcore will be active at any time,
    Out of all of the posts here, none had anything to do with the thread. It was all off topic. PLEASE guys, if someone says something that gets under your skin, don't respond to it, report it. Or just move on to another thread

Cleaned thread. Lets stay on topic