TW 4.3 tethering [WIP]

Search This thread

waterbottels

Dec 25, 2013
Hello all, I have the 4.3 TW OTA on my phone... regretably. Silly mistake on my end, I do not know why I took the update but I did. Anyhow, like many you who did, the best we can do now is saferoot (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2565758&highlight=s3). This thread is mostly about the hotspot feature. I've tried several methods to bypass red's hotspot service (free the way it was meant to be). All attempts have failed. I'm not really sure what I'm doing anymore but I did something earlier and i was able to disable the the notification for a bit and use the hotspot for roughly 5-10 minutes then it kicked me off again. Has anyone else had any success? What are your methods and what should we be looking into?

EDIT #1:Something interesting to look at.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48759100&postcount=132

EDIT #2: There is an app on the market that enables to tether using bluetooth functionality.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.refluxa.android.bat&hl=en

Last edited:

Topsnake

Jan 30, 2011
Can you look in your system and see if you have a folder named priv app? If so see if there is a apk named VZWentitlement blahh bla bla. If so I may be able to port the exploit I use over.

Medicstud007

May 18, 2011
I didn't see that folder in system or an apk with that name

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

I suspect there may be setting in systems settings that can be modded using sqlite but i'm not sure which one

waterbottels

Dec 25, 2013
this is very good, does anyone know what this app does differently? In particular it requires a root but that would mean there is something we can bypass ourselves to deal with verizon putting a block on our hotspot. I can't find where they would have hidden such a 'feature.'
Kudos to Medicstud007 for finding this. How do you find apps in relation to their upload date or last update date?

Superflydroid

Dec 26, 2013
tether

this is very good, does anyone know what this app does differently? In particular it requires a root but that would mean there is something we can bypass ourselves to deal with verizon putting a block on our hotspot. I can't find where they would have hidden such a 'feature.'
Kudos to Medicstud007 for finding this. How do you find apps in relation to their upload date or last update date?

Didn't the FCC rule against Verizon where they couldn't block the use of a mobile device that has a hot spot and tethering function.

pacet911

Jun 19, 2010
Bethpage, NY
Make foxfi work! (requires root)

I found a fix!!!!!!!!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.snclab.wifitetherrouter&hl=en

Wifi Tether Router by Fabio Grasso. Please note you have to be rooted for it to work. Method 3, everything else default.

I'll take it one step further, after installing and running Wifi Tether Router (may or may not need the paid version, which I have), restart the phone and run Foxfi - guess what! WORKS NOW! :laugh: did not before. I am rooted via saferoot method after installing 4.3 OTA.

wildbill1986

Feb 16, 2013
Thought I would give everyone a heads up. I have not yet rooted my s3 on 4.3, but I got foxfi to work. I simply uninstalled the app, then reinstalled it. Reinstalled the credentials popup foxfi requires and turned on. Foxfi has not updated, I'm not sure why it works, but I'll take it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

devilrmk

Dec 27, 2013
Thought I would give everyone a heads up. I have not yet rooted my s3 on 4.3, but I got foxfi to work. I simply uninstalled the app, then reinstalled it. Reinstalled the credentials popup foxfi requires and turned on. Foxfi has not updated, I'm not sure why it works, but I'll take it.

Just tried that and it is working for me too. Have restarted it about 15 times and twice have gotten the subscription check but on next attempt it works just fine.

elwood1229

Jan 24, 2011
Foxfi is working for me too. I also get the subscription check but it goes right through.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

mikecico

Mar 16, 2010
Foxfi is awesome. I didn't even have to reinstall. Although it for some reason forced me to create a lockscreen pin, it seems to work.

I still want to root, but I can at least wait till a verified, safe root is available.

VZW needs to just stop the bull****, this never ends up working for them. I pay a ****load of money to them, I should be allowed to use my data the way I want.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

kobe008

Mar 21, 2013
Aberdeen, South Dakota
My foxfi also works too but it made me set up a lockscreen pin which I do not want to use. I never had one before and it worked fine. If anyone figures a way to make foxfi work without a lockscreen code that would be awesome.

wildbill1986

Feb 16, 2013
There are instructions on how to remove the lockscreen on app description in play store. After you set it, incorrectly draw your pattern until you have to log in using Google and you don't have reset it i think.

kobe008

Mar 21, 2013
Aberdeen, South Dakota
Thank you I got it to work. First I tried doing a Pin and it would not give me the option to reset even after 10 incorrect tries. So I changed it to a pattern and after 5 tries it let me reset. Then when it got to the screen where I had to pick either pin, pattern, or password I selected Pattern (because Swipe was greyed out) and then cancelled it without putting in a pattern and that worked.

Number 6

Aug 13, 2012
I got a support email from the developer and followed the simple instructions and voila my overpriced plan has a legitimate reason to keep again and less than a week to fix I call that top notch service.

Sent from my GS3 using Tapatalk HD

Top Liked Posts