Workaround for ums working on cm10/jb roms

Search This thread

arana1

Oct 27, 2011
Redmi Note 9
Disclaimer: I have no knowledge of AOSP roms, or of the application in the OP. That being said...

File transfer behavior is governed by the system property /data/property/persist.sys.usb.config. This is a text file containing a single string. The settings are "mass_storage,adb" or "mtp,adb". Since this is a system file, it is necessary for the phone to be rooted, and then this file can be edited using a root file explorer. Change the text in the file to mtp,adb (without spaces), save the file, and reboot the phone. UMS, or USB Mass Storage is the first one. This is true for Samsung firmware.
Thank you for the explanation, i have a droid bionic with stock 4.1 and rooted so no probem editing anything (with that i have no problem using usb/mtp/camera modes) , but have a second boot with aokp 4.2 (of course has root function integrated) , now that being said
after all it wasn't necessary to restore back, i find out that can select mtp from settings->storage->menu->USB Computer connections then i select mtp or camera or mass storage.

So after using this tip, i can now use BOTH (what is the word you use instead of both when you are talking about 3 and not 2 modes? lol , sorry english not my main language) modes UMS from notification menu+app switch , ant still revert to MTP, or PTP using regular phone menus (previously to the advice on this post if i used this same menus even tho it says MASS STORAGE when i selected this it only showed/connected in INSTALL MODE (dont know what that is) .no matter if i selected from pulldown/notification menu or settings menus.

and thank you to the poster and the app creator. (will also hit thanks button by i wanted to write some words )

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

I don't know how many u guys have figured it out this workaround yet, but I still see many asking questions to the dev's about when UMS is gonna be incorporated in CM10/AOKP builds...

I have accidently found this neat little trick that enables UMS on CM10/AOKP roms..
    Till now I have tried and got it working succesfully on Fusions cm10 kangs and Task/Ktoonez AOKP builds , but I do believe it should work on other cm10/aokp roms too..

So steps are fairly simple and here it goes :

1. Download the UMS 1.0 apk which is used as a TPA by many as a replacement. Many of U might have it , but for those who don't : https://www.dropbox.com/s/8490g42b01255t9/USB Mass Storage for JB.apk

2. Install the app. Open it .. it will take few seconds to get SuperUser permission.. then connect the USB connector and a notication will popup with blue androbot.. touch it and it will turn green to ur UMS will be connected.. Ensure that both internal and external SD are connected and accessible (Imp).

3. Turn off UMS and reboot the phone... Once booted up uninstall the UMS app
    Reboot the phone again and then try to connect to USB again.. This time you will get prompted like this : (See screenshot)

4. Now u connect to the PC via UMS , and as always bot turns green.. Voila u have UMS now !!!

I do know some of you might have already been using this , and I don't boast it being a great discovery.. just something worth sharing for the unaware..

Cheers !!!
    anyway to restore MTP functionality after doing this? MTP option just dissapeared.
    and i need it because thats what i use when sincying my music (i mean i need both) but seemes like once i do this theres no turning back.
    its either just connected or connected as Mass storage, akso my camera ptp mode disapeared :S

Disclaimer: I have no knowledge of AOSP roms, or of the application in the OP. That being said...

File transfer behavior is governed by the system property /data/property/persist.sys.usb.config. This is a text file containing a single string. The settings are "mass_storage,adb" or "mtp,adb". Since this is a system file, it is necessary for the phone to be rooted, and then this file can be edited using a root file explorer. Change the text in the file to mtp,adb (without spaces), save the file, and reboot the phone. UMS, or USB Mass Storage is the first one. This is true for Samsung firmware.
    I wonder where that feature went. It don't matter to me because you can still transfer files including video and music to your phones. Without having to do those steps.

I would also assume you would have to do those steps every time you flash a new ROM or updated your old one. But thanks for the info

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

Yes.. u can still transfer videos, music etc using MTP.... but in my case MTP was quite iffy... randomly throwing write errors and sometimes only copying partial files..

Also one more issue that I was facing with MTP was , with every new rom install, I was not able to pre-existing files on External SD .. although it showed certain space as full.. it didn't show the contents.

So I researched and finally got this working this way.. using UMS I never have any issues mentioned above.. Thus this solution maybe more beneficial for guys having this issue like me

And to your question - yes u do have to follow this step with every new ROM install..
    I believe the reason for getting rid of UMS was to consolidate internal and external memory to a single "drive" and that's why MTP is used. I don't know if that's completely accurate but that was my understanding. But I agree, I'm no fant of MTP.
    Strange, it appears to have been left out of Taks's AOKP 9/24 release. Was that added to CM10 recently?

And since tasks AOKP isn't built from cm10 it makes sense.