[Q] Terrible Cell Signal with S5?

Search This thread

klarthur

Feb 5, 2011
I really like the phone itself, but I'm having trouble with REALLY low cell signal. At my house I would have full bars with my Galaxy S3, but on my S5 I have one tiny bar of signal. Lemon perhaps? Anyone have any ideas? I have already updated the PRL and Profile and I am NOT rooted.

Also the charger cover (so that it can be water resistant) is nearly impossible for me to open without grabbing a razor or something to pry it open... anyone else having this issue?

AdRock02gt

Feb 9, 2011
I really like the phone itself, but I'm having trouble with REALLY low cell signal. At my house I would have full bars with my Galaxy S3, but on my S5 I have one tiny bar of signal. Lemon perhaps? Anyone have any ideas? I have already updated the PRL and Profile and I am NOT rooted.

Also the charger cover (so that it can be water resistant) is nearly impossible for me to open without grabbing a razor or something to pry it open... anyone else having this issue?

I hate that little charger door also. I'm really close to just ripping it off. And as far as signal goes, I think I have somewhat the same issue. Reception is pretty spotty compared to my old S3, and the S3 wasn't awesome to begin with. I will say though, that when it is connected, even with a weak signal, it still runs much faster than my S3 does.

I have until this weekend to decide if I want to keep it or not and I'm really contemplating taking it back and swapping it out for a HTC One M8.

Majin101

May 8, 2010
Yeah I have the same issue. I had the s4 (I know small upgrade but I gave it to the gf) and it had 3 bars average in my basement. Now with the s5 I'm ljcmy to get 1 bar. I've been having people say to answer my phone but I never got their calls. Ugh maybe I should switch too o_O I have a week left I think.

Sent from my SM-G900P using xda app-developers app

thegame2388

Sep 1, 2010
I have 1 bar at home too.

I called Sprint and they said low reception doesn't kill battery....clearly they don't know much.

pyrochance

Aug 27, 2012
Fort Worth
Yeah I have the same issue. I had the s4 (I know small upgrade but I gave it to the gf) and it had 3 bars average in my basement. Now with the s5 I'm ljcmy to get 1 bar. I've been having people say to answer my phone but I never got their calls. Ugh maybe I should switch too o_O I have a week left I think.

Sent from my SM-G900P using xda app-developers app

Im having that issue as well. it says i have 1 bar, and the data works i can surf the web etc. but for whatever reason anyone calling me it never comes thru. but i've noticed that if i call out while i have low signal. it all of a sudden goes up a few bars and i start recieving all the texts that ppl sent me telling me to answer my phone... Suppose mine a lemon? i have a note 3 right next to it comparing signal strength and texts calls etc go thru but my S5 doesnt get anything at all .:eek: :eek: :confused: :(

bryanu

Dec 1, 2010
Keep in mind the signal when not on a call is based on the 3G or 4G data signal.
When on a call the bars are based on the 1X voice signal.

I know on my old HTC phone HTC always went by voice signal as far as the bars you saw regardless of phone state, then in the last update they changed it to showing data, which was always lower.

Maybe some of your older phones are similar.

My first Samsung though so dunno.

cruckus

Sep 12, 2010
its because its a spark enabled phone. i deal with a bunch of customers with the same issue just put it in 3g only and your reception should definitely be better.

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
I hate that little charger door also. I'm really close to just ripping it off.

no need to rip it off...just remove the battery cover, unscrew the door for it...and take it off and set it aside for late use

it doesn't expose any internal parts and even a drunk could pull it off

^^This

Don't rely on the signal bars. They are never accurate no matter what phone.

exactly...signal bars dont matter..its the actual dB strength

manufacturers have been known to mess with it on purpose to make you think you have a better signal when you really dont, like apple

AdRock02gt

Feb 9, 2011
no need to rip it off...just remove the battery cover, unscrew the door for it...and take it off and set it aside for late use

it doesn't expose any internal parts and even a drunk could pull it off

What all needs to be removed to get the door to come off? I pulled the 2 screws out right by the door but it wouldn't slide out.

Top Liked Posts