XTREME powersave on L1020/1320/920/620

Search This thread

nikozzzzzz

Sep 21, 2011
Yekaterinburg
Hello folks!
Ive been studying my friend's camera godzilla and noticed one thing - the upper part of the phone really heats up on usage. Even on apps like whatsapp, messaging, viber, etc. So I wondered. Why? Simple apps, that have no 3D rendering should not heat up the cpu much. So I started testing. The phone started to heat up when you typed a lot. Hmm maybe the cause is a lot of data sending/recieving via the GSM module, and its heating up? Nope, turned out, it was not GSM..
So, how the idea got to me...
I was watching this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfkkShYcbUM and got amazed: so much information is being processed when you type a single letter: the CPU has not only to search the entire dictionary to try to predict, it also has to to constantly change the size of each key, so that even if you miss the letter, you will type correctly anyway ( if you dont watch the above vid, you won't understand what im talking about) .
So I thought: " maybe that's the activity that heats up the CPU so much? Searching/predicting/learning ? " Why dont I turn it off?
Seemes I was wright, after turning it off the phone does not heat up anymore on simple apps, like chatting, texting, typing web addresses and so on. And if the phone doesn't heat up - that means battery is being saved.

-> The SOLUTION is to go to Settings-Keyboard settings and turn OFF all the auto predicts, swypes etc. Yes it may hurt usability ( but for me it
feels better when the phone doesn't correct my words)

So that's just words, you would say, how about numbers?
I tested this theory on L1020, on L1320, on L920 and on L620. All gave me double battery lifetime on messaging. The test was being held on WP8.1 developer preview latest update ( came on 16.05.14 or so) , in Group Chat ( microsoft's messenger in People Hub). L 1320 gave me 8 hours of chatting on Auto brightness, being on 3G ( full signal ) after disabling keyboard's "smart" technologies. The phone did not heat up, lasted twice longer ( yep, this is ugly, I have L1320, which is supposed to give like 10 hours of "screen on" and it held like 4 hours on simple chatter ).
-------------------------------
Try it, if it helps to save battery and your hands ( Lumias can get pretty hot eww ), tell others!

P.S. : I dont know if anyone has posted this before. And if I posted it in the right forum. I'm just happy as a little kid- finding this workaround to solve batt. problems.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140517_0001.png
    wp_ss_20140517_0001.png
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,003
Last edited:

aashayjardosh

Jul 14, 2011
Surat
Ive noticed the same issue regarding the top of the phone heating up. Your theory is worth trying out. Ill get back to you soon after testing.

romskii

Mar 9, 2009
Viersen
Thank you for your Thread.
But the most annoying thing is the drain on standby. I'm actual always at about ~10% over night.
Tried so many things but nothing helps :D I miss the 1% from my S3 days

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello folks!
    Ive been studying my friend's camera godzilla and noticed one thing - the upper part of the phone really heats up on usage. Even on apps like whatsapp, messaging, viber, etc. So I wondered. Why? Simple apps, that have no 3D rendering should not heat up the cpu much. So I started testing. The phone started to heat up when you typed a lot. Hmm maybe the cause is a lot of data sending/recieving via the GSM module, and its heating up? Nope, turned out, it was not GSM..
    So, how the idea got to me...
    I was watching this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfkkShYcbUM and got amazed: so much information is being processed when you type a single letter: the CPU has not only to search the entire dictionary to try to predict, it also has to to constantly change the size of each key, so that even if you miss the letter, you will type correctly anyway ( if you dont watch the above vid, you won't understand what im talking about) .
    So I thought: " maybe that's the activity that heats up the CPU so much? Searching/predicting/learning ? " Why dont I turn it off?
    Seemes I was wright, after turning it off the phone does not heat up anymore on simple apps, like chatting, texting, typing web addresses and so on. And if the phone doesn't heat up - that means battery is being saved.

-> The SOLUTION is to go to Settings-Keyboard settings and turn OFF all the auto predicts, swypes etc. Yes it may hurt usability ( but for me it
    feels better when the phone doesn't correct my words)

So that's just words, you would say, how about numbers?
    I tested this theory on L1020, on L1320, on L920 and on L620. All gave me double battery lifetime on messaging. The test was being held on WP8.1 developer preview latest update ( came on 16.05.14 or so) , in Group Chat ( microsoft's messenger in People Hub). L 1320 gave me 8 hours of chatting on Auto brightness, being on 3G ( full signal ) after disabling keyboard's "smart" technologies. The phone did not heat up, lasted twice longer ( yep, this is ugly, I have L1320, which is supposed to give like 10 hours of "screen on" and it held like 4 hours on simple chatter ).
    -------------------------------
    Try it, if it helps to save battery and your hands ( Lumias can get pretty hot eww ), tell others!

P.S. : I dont know if anyone has posted this before. And if I posted it in the right forum. I'm just happy as a little kid- finding this workaround to solve batt. problems.