[Q] [HELP] LG G2 (Not Rooted) Screen Jitters after updating KitKat

Search This thread

benz23

May 19, 2014
Hello,

It seems i have a problem with my G2 after updating Kitkat. First i want to clarify by updating Kitkat means that after i updated my Kitkat from official updates from LG Update Apps. I worried people misunderstood it for im upgrading from Jelly Bean to Kitkat. Not that, im already using Kitkat from maybe around Feb and have no problem at all. And 2 days ago [17 May 2014, in South East Asia] there is some update for the Kitkat, and I installed it, the description for the update is just "Optimization for Apps")

My problem is exactly the same with this Youtube video down here, this video describe "screen flickering" but actually its not flickering (because there is no problem with the brightness), but the screen randomly move vertically, like there is an earthquake inside of that phone :D

Oops because im a new member (yes, I jin this forum because of this problem of mine :'( ) it seems I cant post url from outside.

Please search the video on youtube titled "Lg g2 screen flicker" by Chris Eastoe

So, its happen yesterday for the first time, and i realize if its start to happen what i have to do is turn of the screen for a while (either turn of the phone or ether lock it) and then after i turn the screen on again the jitters stop... for a while... eventually the jitter will start to happen again and i just have to turn off the screen, wait, and turn it on again.

Do anybody have any Idea what happen to my phone? my LG G2 is not rooted, and i use stock launcher. i probably install LINE DECO for the icon customization (even though I already install it like 1 month ago and have no problem until recently), but i already uninstalled that this morning, and its still happening :(

Thank you

cheers :fingers-crossed:

SamStone

Dec 10, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
I live in SEA also but can't help you with your problem because my phone has had issues with the touchscreen starting a couple of months after I purchased it. I also received the update a couple of days ago and I was hoping that it would finally resolve my touchscreen issues but no such luck. Mine also jitters, freezes, and experiences ghost touches on a random basis although they all stop when I turn off the screen and turn it back on. Touchscreen issues are common with the G2, I don't know what to tell you. I've sent mine back twice but it still does the same thing.

benz23

May 19, 2014
I live in SEA also but can't help you with your problem because my phone has had issues with the touchscreen starting a couple of months after I purchased it. I also received the update a couple of days ago and I was hoping that it would finally resolve my touchscreen issues but no such luck. Mine also jitters, freezes, and experiences ghost touches on a random basis although they all stop when I turn off the screen and turn it back on. Touchscreen issues are common with the G2, I don't know what to tell you. I've sent mine back twice but it still does the same thing.

It seems my problem is not as bad as yours... My touchscreen still works properly, and even the screen is jittering like crazy mt LG G2 still works smoothly. The Only problem is the display on screen.

I try to take a snapshot of my homescreen when my screen jittering like crazy and send it to my friend. But on my friend phone the homescreen snapshot i took is normal.

Titchener17

Jul 17, 2013
Raleigh
Root it with ioroot, recovery with autorec, and install furnace (jdi version if white lines) - or exchange it ?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Been on 4.4.2 for a few days, today my stock Bell (D803) started jittering and garbled up so bad it looked like the screen was damaged. It was a bit warm from being plugged in so i shut it down. Now it's cooled off and video jitters only slightly. I also tried re-calibrating motion sensor but seems to still have a slight jitter. (note: it's not the brightness flicker problem, the segments of the video on the screen literally shakes!)
Was thinking phone was damaged some how but now i see it's not the only one with the problem since last update.
Gee, good thing we own $700 smartphones!
I don't usually root my phones until the warranty is up on them so it's still Bell stock.

---------- Post added 21st May 2014 at 12:15 AM ---------- Previous post was 20th May 2014 at 11:22 PM ----------

Been on 4.4.2 for a few days, today my stock Bell (D803) started jittering and garbled up so bad it looked like the screen was damaged. It was a bit warm from being plugged in so i shut it down. Now it's cooled off and video jitters only slightly. I also tried re-calibrating motion sensor but seems to still have a slight jitter. (note: it's not the brightness flicker problem, the segments of the video on the screen literally shakes!)
Was thinking phone was damaged some how but now i see it's not the only one with the problem since last update.
I don't usually root my phones until the warranty is up on them so it's still Bell stock.
I also tried a factory wipe by pressing power/down keys when booting and still same problem...

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

Reactions: benz23

benz23

May 19, 2014
It seems my problem is not as bad as yours... My touchscreen still works properly, and even the screen is jittering like crazy mt LG G2 still works smoothly. The Only problem is the display on screen.

I try to take a snapshot of my homescreen when my screen jittering like crazy and send it to my friend. But on my friend phone the homescreen snapshot i took is normal.

Titchener, I think im avoiding rooting my phone as much as I can, because if im not mistaken rooted phone void its warranty right?

I also tried a factory wipe by pressing power/down keys when booting and still same problem...

Well, thanks for the heads up edgarpoe, Factory Wipe Reset also one of my option, but considering the effort it takes to recovery all the data, the backup, and etc. and find the problem is still there would have waste a lot of time...

I tried to install different launchers (Go Launcher, Nova Launcher) and none of them solve my problem... Heeeelelllpp!

benz23

May 19, 2014
Maybe it's a driver problem with latest update... hmmm

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

...haven't tried pulling SIM card yet.

as we speak, how is your LG G2 right now? still have that problem? mine still the same... :(.

I really hope there will be new updates soon and can solve this problem

LG G2 Screen Jitters after 4.4.2 update.

as we speak, how is your LG G2 right now? still have that problem? mine still the same... :(.

I really hope there will be new updates soon and can solve this problem

Nope not any better, infact it's worse. When it sits screen is ok when you wake it, but after about 5 min it starts jittering randomly. The longer screen is on the worse it gets until it shows sections of video that looks like old analog tv static. Turn screen off for a while and it's cleared up again for a few minutes.
Maybe something is overheating? Do you have a case on your phone? Mine has OtterBox case.

I even tried "playing" with thermal setting in 3845#*803# but did't solve anything :silly:

Don't know, maybe it's time to bring it in...

I've factory wiped phone 3 times, still had problem. Was almost wondering if after the update, the battery stats were out, if low voltage would cause it. But then phone would have died out of nowhere so don't think that's it. Last night I also recalibrated motion sensor but still had jitters.
Must have been just a glitch in the update.
Bell tech told me 4.4.3 is on its way anyways.
It was acting up this morning at 10, then it sat sleeping unplugged for a few hours (screen off) now it seems problem disappeared.

benz23

May 19, 2014
I've factory wiped phone 3 times, still had problem. Was almost wondering if after the update, the battery stats were out, if low voltage would cause it. But then phone would have died out of nowhere so don't think that's it. Last night I also recalibrated motion sensor but still had jitters.
Must have been just a glitch in the update.
Bell tech told me 4.4.3 is on its way anyways.
It was acting up this morning at 10, then it sat sleeping unplugged for a few hours (screen off) now it seems problem disappeared.

Yep, i know the 4.4.3 its on the way, did the Bell Thec tell you when? it'll be frustating to wait around 3 weeks or a month with the phone condition like this... :(

BTW, Is your phone still OK? Ive been running mine this morning and got 2-3 hour up until now, jitter free... i will update if the jitters come back...

added :

Or maybe on of the apps is not compatible with the 4.4.2 Update. This morning this are my apps that have an update and maybe it solved the problem

- Chrome
- Air Asia
- Cleanmaster
- FanChants
- Flipboard
- Gmail
- Google+
- IGN
- Intsagram

Maybe some apps matchs with your apps?

Last edited:
My phone been steady now for around 6hrs I think. Not sure why yet. Wasn't app related that I know of because one off the reset trials I opted to not install any apps at all and still had jitters.
I've been working the modes, touch screen, and playback pretty good tonight and no more glitches. Was last plugged in 7 hrs ago to 100% and it's now at about 50%
Just noticed power save was off so now it's active.
With system, lg bloatware, and downloaded apps they total 197apps.

---------- Post added at 12:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

Tech didn't give any exact eta on 4.4.3, only said it was on it's way.

---------- Post added at 12:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 AM ----------

Just a quick Google search states the rumored release of 4.4.3 ours now pushed till next month instead of next week.

---------- Post added at 12:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 AM ----------

(For Samsung, HTC, and nexus devices at least)

benz23

May 19, 2014
As of now, my D803 is still running jitter free since yesterday afternoon with 4.4.2.
Seems problem might have fixed itself.
:highfive:

Anyone else?

update:
ARG! Seems i spoke too soon. Video jitter just came back.

:p

Me too, celebrate to soon… after aprox 8 hour no Jitter… then suddenly it came back… just as bad as yesterday :(

Its seems only the two of us having this problem :(

HELP!

Last edited:

benz23

May 19, 2014
Crazy... today wasn't too bad for mine, only a few recurrences.
Is yours a D803 (Bell Canada) as well?

Nope, im using unlocked phone, not bound to any provider.

I have some question, when you say you wipe your phone, is your phone OS go back to the 4.3 (Jelly Bean)? or maintain the latest KitKat?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

---------- Post added 21st May 2014 at 12:15 AM ---------- Previous post was 20th May 2014 at 11:22 PM ----------

When you factory reset your phone it retains it's system partition, so Kit Kat stays. What it does is wipe it's data and cache partitions where all your apps, app data, and personal files are stored.

I tried a battery cycle last night. Let it drain dead, then plug it in until it's 100%. Not recommended to do that a lot because life of Li-ion batteries are rated for so many full charge cycles, but it helps reprogram battery's charge circuit.

(Lots of battery info can be found elsewhere in forum and by Google searching)

---------- Post added at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 AM ----------

Rare times when you upgrade, battery charge data gets messed up and doesn't charge properly causing instabilities and shorter battery life.

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

Yesterday my battery stats where around 4100mV. Today at 100% after power cycling stats reading 3761mV.
    No jitter noticed yet.

---------- Post added at 09:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

I'm pretty sure our Battery is only 3.8v, so the way I see it my battery was getting overcharged.

We'll see how it runs today and I'll report back later tonight but so far no more video glitches noticed.

4.3V is on the high end of the Li-ion chemistry in our phones.

3.8 is the "average" voltage the battery puts out, it is not a constant usually. When a Li-ion battery is fully charged it should never be charged over 4.3V, most people only let it charge to 4.2 for safety, likewise they should never drop below 3.4/3.5V or damage will probably occur.
    The phone's internal circuitry takes care of the voltage difference by pulling less amps when fully charged and increasing the amp pull when going under 3.8V to make up for the low voltage.

Source: A lot of experience with Vaping gear that uses similar Li-ion batteries.
    exactly, planned obsolescence
    hey, from where to buy them? can't find anywhere please help (also where those are placed in the motherboard exactly?)

if someone could please write a good guide it wil be amazing cause to take it to a lab will cost way to much

Its located near the charging port, you can access it by removing the lower back panel of your G2.
    but keep in mind that its very delicate process, if you aren't well versed in repairing than its better to give it to LG repair centre and tell them exactly what you want to get replaced in your phone. Or you can go to any other trusted technician that will do what you say. Otherwise if you give it to any random technician, they will produce 100 more issues in your hardware except the one that you have and your phone wont fix.

ill give you a link for a post where its written what to sold on the LCD lines. but dont do it if you dont know what you are doing yourself. the connections are really small, so you can actually ruin the the connection eventually leading to no display.

http ://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f494/lg-g2-d802-flicker-solution-need-help-1905072/index2.html

just remove the gap after http of link.

also there are video links / google links for how to do it, you just need to find it, like diamond in coal. (search for " emi filter lg g2"

this is what it looks like after fix : refer to attached image, that long processor you see, the last few connection on both sides, those have to be fixed.