Smoked my Kindle. Any idea's?

Search This thread

northmendo

Dec 4, 2007
California
Ok it's a long story. I will spare you. First I am not a noob. I was working on implementing pokey9000's fbmode root method in to my app BreakDroid During that process I was goofing off and thought I messed up my bootloader. So I thought I would erase it and reflash it. Well I erased it and the reflash didn't work. It doesn't boot at all now.

What I have tried.

Holding the power button many different durations
Pluging it in to multiple computers windows and mac. Fastboot and adb can't see it at all. I am at a loss. The screen is just a dead black all the time.

Any idea's?

YaKillaCJ

Jul 16, 2010
Miami
Not sure if I kno what im talking about but the device isnt at a total lost im sure.
Try linux (Ubuntu). If that fails ya gotta use UART method just like Hashcode did with the four wires attached straight to the board.

And I mean why not. Its only $150 device if U catch it on sale or with a gift card. I got mine for $130 ($50 + 10% discount)

Reactions: dnalevelc

csholmq

Dec 23, 2010
Gothenburg
I take it that it doesn't respond at all when you attempt push the power button? And obviously that it's turned off, not just frozen or bootlooped. If that were the case, you could simply crack the case open and reset the whole thing on the connector dots.

I see 2 solutions:

IMO, it would be way easier to just replace the motherboard from some broken-screen-unit from Ebay. That would probably cost you between 30 and 60 bucks though. Doing the UART thing will not set you back much at all. But you need some soldering gear (incl. some skill), an UART->USB board and some nerves.

drowningchild

Jul 29, 2010
West Allis,Wisconsin
I take it that it doesn't respond at all when you attempt push the power button? And obviously that it's turned off, not just frozen or bootlooped. If that were the case, you could simply crack the case open and reset the whole thing on the connector dots.

I see 2 solutions:

IMO, it would be way easier to just replace the motherboard from some broken-screen-unit from Ebay. That would probably cost you between 30 and 60 bucks though. Doing the UART thing will not set you back much at all. But you need some soldering gear (incl. some skill), an UART->USB board and some nerves.
the method i linked to requires no soldering :D
just a plain ol usb cord and something to short points on the board together

northmendo

Dec 4, 2007
California

pokey9000

Apr 17, 2007
Austin
I'm going to try. I got the back off and got to the point of loading the ubsboot and for some reason I can't get it to exicute on my mac. Any reason a Mac wouldn't work?

Because usbboot is a Linux x86 binary. Firekit + Ubuntu LiveCD is your ticket out of brick hell.

FYI the USB and UART recovery protocols are the same, just different transports. But you'd need a different 1st stage loader that talks UART, which we don't have. So might as well use usbboot + aboot.

Oh, and don't try the 6.2.1 rootboot, you're better off loading the TWRP installer. Just use the usb_install_fff_twrp script in Firekit. If it still doesn't work, try usb_fix_parts_and_install_fff_twrp

Last edited:
Reactions: northmendo

northmendo

Dec 4, 2007
California
Because usbboot is a Linux x86 binary. Firekit + Ubuntu LiveCD is your ticket out of brick hell.

FYI the USB and UART recovery protocols are the same, just different transports. But you'd need a different 1st stage loader that talks UART, which we don't have. So might as well use usbboot + aboot.

Oh, and don't try the 6.2.1 rootboot, you're better off loading the TWRP installer. Just use the usb_install_fff_twrp script in Firekit. If it still doesn't work, try usb_fix_parts_and_install_fff_twrp

Thank you so much. Just like you said I booted in to linux and shorted out + usbboot + aboot and u_boot.bin. Then flashed stock 6.2.2 from recovery to be safe. I am pretty sure I am back in business.Now to root, after a charge of corse.

Last edited:

northmendo

Dec 4, 2007
California
It seems to work fine. I think I discovered what happened too. I think the battery died in the middle of flashing the bootloader because it was completely dead when I got it back up and running.

Thanks again everyone for the help.

smirkis

Oct 8, 2010
San Diego, CA
nice, u are the first to kill a bootloader. and come back lol.

bravo. I'm glad u git it all worked out, and everyone learns from it, I hope!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using xda premium

northmendo

Dec 4, 2007
California
nice, u are the first to kill a bootloader. and come back lol.

bravo. I'm glad u git it all worked out, and everyone learns from it, I hope!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using xda premium

Yeah it was crazy sketchy. I guess my laptop was not charging my Kindle white I was working on it. So right in the middle of flashing the bootloader it died. special thanks to pokey9000. With nothing but a black screen I thought there was no coming back.

Sent from my kindle fire using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This is the first time I've heard you say that where I think it may actually be the required solution.
    Not sure if I kno what im talking about but the device isnt at a total lost im sure.
    Try linux (Ubuntu). If that fails ya gotta use UART method just like Hashcode did with the four wires attached straight to the board.

And I mean why not. Its only $150 device if U catch it on sale or with a gift card. I got mine for $130 ($50 + 10% discount)
    I'm going to try. I got the back off and got to the point of loading the ubsboot and for some reason I can't get it to exicute on my mac. Any reason a Mac wouldn't work?