CWM-based Recovery 6.0.1.5 for A700 (JB compatible)

Search This thread

CheopsChefren

Mar 20, 2010
Still have problems
After "adb reboot-bootloader" my A700 reboots, and comes up with the message "starting fastboot usb download protocol"
If then i try "fastboot flash recovery recovery-a700-update1.img" i get the message "waiting for device" and it stays there for eternity ;) The img file is on the root of my sd card and in the android-sdk folder, so it should be able to find the img i think
What am I doing wrong?

Found out via another thread. I had the wrong android drivers loaded/. I had the ADB drivers loaded, i needed to use the bootloader-drivers.....

Last edited:

Mechkilla

Jul 9, 2012
What does that mean? Did you solve your problem with the new drivers? Are there really different drivers out there? I just installed Acers USB drivers for the A70x and after that I could install CWM 6.0.1.0 with fastboot (with img-file in the same directory) from my windows machine.

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
What does that mean? Did you solve your problem with the new drivers? Are there really different drivers out there? I just installed Acers USB drivers for the A70x and after that I could install CWM 6.0.1.0 with fastboot (with img-file in the same directory) from my windows machine.

Basically when you install either the Google USB or Acer USB drivers, actually several get installed to the PC. Windows isn't always the smartest apple on the tree when it comes to knowing which one to use. ;)

Usually, I check Device Manager when I have an issue with ADB, Recovery, Fastboot, etc to make sure windows chose the correct one. After you do this a few times, it seems windows gets a little smarter and knows which one to use. Sometimes, you just have to "choose from list".

MD

CheopsChefren

Mar 20, 2010
In windows 7 x64 there are 3 different drivers installed for the A700: an ADB driver, a Bootloader driver, and a composite ADB driver. You can see them if you go in the device manager, and try updating ure android driver.
For - as far as i noticed now - ADB commands you need to use the ADB driver, and for fastboot commands you need to use the Bootloader-driver.

DakiX

Mar 11, 2012
I was a mess and my Talbet was almost brick and get into the fastboot mode was a painful but somehow managed and pushed the ROM files and has an error CUS1.zip info.txt and with product. As I said it was a mess, I wanted to turn HAHA but then via adb and then pushed the cwm installed via a firmware on it with full sd wipe everything in order. The CWM has some buggs still does not mount and other items with normal flash but for now it's enough.

BonzenPaule

Jun 19, 2012
Munich
Google Pixel 7
Hi guys, i need some help =)
I was able to unlock the bootloader the way it was mentioned in this post http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1710755
But i still cant install CWM. Here is what i am doing please tell me what i am doing wrong or send me a link to another how to guide =)
adb reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash recovery recovery-a700-update1.img

After these 2 commands my cmd tells me:
sending "recovery" (5452 KB) ....
OKAY (2.756s)
writing "recovery" ....
OKAY (2.798s)
finished. total time: 5.555s

After that i reboot but its just booting the stock firmware. How can i access CWM to load the new firmware im trying to flash?
When i dont use "adb reboot-bootloader" and just fastboot flash recovery recovery-a700-update1.img im getting the message "waiting for the device". I have installed the acer driver in normal and fastboot mode and its working in "bootloader-mode" so i dont know what i am missing...
Im new to android but im not new to flashing custom firmwares (WDTV[linux] and Nokia) so all i need is a little push for the start =) Please help me :)

pawitp

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 30, 2010
Bangkok
Hi guys, i need some help =)
I was able to unlock the bootloader the way it was mentioned in this post http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1710755
But i still cant install CWM. Here is what i am doing please tell me what i am doing wrong or send me a link to another how to guide =)
adb reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash recovery recovery-a700-update1.img

After these 2 commands my cmd tells me:
sending "recovery" (5452 KB) ....
OKAY (2.756s)
writing "recovery" ....
OKAY (2.798s)
finished. total time: 5.555s

After that i reboot but its just booting the stock firmware. How can i access CWM to load the new firmware im trying to flash?
When i dont use "adb reboot-bootloader" and just fastboot flash recovery recovery-a700-update1.img im getting the message "waiting for the device". I have installed the acer driver in normal and fastboot mode and its working in "bootloader-mode" so i dont know what i am missing...
Im new to android but im not new to flashing custom firmwares (WDTV[linux] and Nokia) so all i need is a little push for the start =) Please help me :)

Hold volume down while rebooting to boot into recovery or use "adb reboot recovery" while booted to acces recovery. If you're running a firmware which reflashes the stock recovery, you will have to delete /system/recovery-from-boot.p to prevent that from happening.

Reactions: BonzenPaule

BonzenPaule

Jun 19, 2012
Munich
Google Pixel 7
If you're running a firmware which reflashes the stock recovery, you will have to delete /system/recovery-from-boot.p to prevent that from happening.
Thank you so much! That was doing the trick. I had the latest official acer firmware isntalled (OTA Acer_AV043_A700_1.053.00_EMEA_ DE) I read something about this reflash a while ago but back in the day i didnt wanted to flash and forgot about that =)
Thanks a lot.

edit: a "nandroid" backup is the standard "Backup" option in CWM right?

Last edited:

tube

Apr 9, 2005
Please help me! Seems that I cannot flash recovery. What I did:
- copied recovery-a700-update1.img in the same windows folder as fastboot
- adb reboot-bootloader
- fastboot flash recovery recovery-a700-update1.img

Windows response:
sending 'recovery' (5452 KB)...
OKAY [ 2.886s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 2.605s]
finished. total time: 5.491s

When I now boot up the device with vol-down + power, eventually a dead robot appears.

The latest firmware is installed: 1.055.00_EMEA_DE

[EDIT]
I managed to start CWM after flashing a couple of times.
Now again a couple of questions:
1)
Is it safe to back up to the internal sd card??? Can I mount a USB stick? I do not have a spare micro sd that I could use.

2)
If you're running a firmware which reflashes the stock recovery, you will have to delete /system/recovery-from-boot.p to prevent that from happening.
How can I exactly do that? Using CWM? Will it prevent future OTA Updates?

3)
Why do I get the red robot when I open recovery after the tab is restarted? As I understood, the system would flash stock recovery, but it just seems to delete it.

Last edited:

Fooox1

Aug 28, 2006
Et pawitp. Is it possible in this version Wipe Data / Factory use or am I then a brick?

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
[EDIT]
I managed to start CWM after flashing a couple of times.
Now again a couple of questions:
1)
Is it safe to back up to the internal sd card??? Can I mount a USB stick? I do not have a spare micro sd that I could use.

2)

How can I exactly do that? Using CWM? Will it prevent future OTA Updates?

3)
Why do I get the red robot when I open recovery after the tab is restarted? As I understood, the system would flash stock recovery, but it just seems to delete it.

Here's my theory on backing up to Internal Memory. Don't do it. Why? Well, if you get a corrupted file in one of your partitions, and have to format the internal memory, then you don't have a backup.

If I'm not mistaken, you should have an option to mount USB Ext so you can backup and install roms from USB Stick. Try going to Mounts and Storage, and mount as USB Storage. At least if I remember correctly. (my 700 still in the service center, so I'm bouncing this against my a501)

If you did not follow the instructions in the post a few posts above, then your Rom will overwrite your recovery when you boot into it. A couple posts up tell you wich file to delete from your system to prevent this.

Also, I believe it's Vol- and PWR to boot to custom recovery. Not Vol+, that usually boots to stock recovery.

MD

tube

Apr 9, 2005
Do I need root to delete the file? Will deleting the file prevent the subscription of OTA Updates?

I tried Vol-, but it shows the dead robot after the stock recovery is flashed (i.e. CWM has been deleted). why does this happen?

however, is there a way to get into fastboot if the system does not boot up and i do not have access to a working recovery?

Last edited:

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Do I need root to delete the file? Will deleting the file prevent the subscription of OTA Updates?

I tried Vol-, but it shows the dead robot after the stock recovery is flashed (i.e. CWM has been deleted).

Of course you have to have root AND System RW. That is, if you wish to do it from within a file explorer. So the problem, is your CWM is being overwritten every time you reboot (if you are running a stock rom).

Technically, if you want to install the CM10 beta rom, you can flash your recovery, boot immediately to CWM and install the CM 10 Rom. But, the minute you restore your stock backup, it will overwrite your CWM once again on boot.

You folks need to read and understand what you're doing and what to expect.

MD

Reactions: wunderkai

casper326

Oct 18, 2008
May I know how to back to the stock recovery?
I have try the boot.img using "fastboot flash recovery boot.img"
It show me
"writing 'recovery'...
FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))
finished. total time: 4.797s

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    EDIT: These links are no longer available because some people copy these links to forums with "questionable" contents and some company scrape links from those forums and DMCA them all without actually checking them first. Please use the official CWM from now on. Download the official version at http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager.

This image is built via unofficial CM10 source linked here

Download
    Recovery image: http://www.mediafire.com/?w707lr78by1bbd6 (MD5: 34a2caff881dfa7faf941cb1d34ec3b8)
    Recovery image (touch): http://www.mediafire.com/?ff304ho7h9pbapg (MD5: f9aab0807bb5350c5b69d795906fecb5)

Use fastboot to flash
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery-a700-6015.img

Enter recovery via vol down + power or
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery

Old Download
    Recovery image: http://www.mediafire.com/?9g39c74cc1smq10 (MD5: b2688a47f5a754e5374df4f2abd3b445)
    Recovery image (touch): http://www.mediafire.com/?gtfmvb6on1ivgrq (MD5: 534f7d73d5a77fcec6ab2c21a8a48a71)

6.0.11 Update 1: http://www.mediafire.com/?o5skj3acsatq633 (MD5: 52b61d78940101d72eab20689d47f2ba)
    Uploaded new 6.0.1.4 version, should be compatible with ROM Manager now.
    Cleaned up thread and removed dangerous recovery, don't want any further bricks.
    Thanks to the kernel source that FloOGB has requested from Acer, we have have a safe Jelly Bean compatible CWM (see first post).
    I am nuts! I did everything wrong! I forgot that to enter fastboot mode I need to toggle several times lock switch after releasing power key. Sleepless night, you know... Now everything all right. Thank you very much!

Sent from my A700 using xda app-developers app

Recoveries on the official site is now working again and I encourage everyone to upgrade since it contain updates including:

- SELinux support (required for full compatibility with CM 10.2)
    - NTFS and exFAT support for sdcard in recovery
    - USB-OTG support in recovery (backup/restore/install ROM from a thumbdrive)