[REQ] Gmail.apk Inverted (Black)

Search This thread

dreamsforgotten

May 4, 2010
Louisiana
I treated it like the framework-res.apk, decompiled in apkmanager and edited these files

drawable
attachment_background.xml

Values
colors.xml
styles.xml

drawable-hdmi
Colored all the .9.png files that are called for header backgrounds. didn't add the new .9.pngs until I recompiled it and signed it. Might be 1 error there (going to try add the files back after signing)

I believe that is it but just incase, here is a link to apkmanager out that you can copy right into apkm if you already have it and recompile. I dug deep so I might have missed 1 or 2.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9718693/out.zip

Link is uploading give it a few minutes till you try it.

Care to fill us in which framework files you are editing? I will play with this some tonight to, off work in 1 1/2 hours.

sent by an Epic4g through the cosmos

raiderep

Feb 4, 2010
Eureka, CA
Cool, I'll check that out when I get home. I use apktool all the time for a few different apks for theme tweaks so its not my first bbq hehe. The .9.pngs are fun to play with huh?

Oops, meant to add that I try and add all my .9.pngs before a decompile as it seems to change some to regular pngs and then they aren't editable. Might be my process screwing things up but thought I'd share my experience fwiw

dreamsforgotten

May 4, 2010
Louisiana
Sorry misread your first post. That out file is the out from decompiling only Gmail.apk not the framework. If you want to know the dirty route there is to doing this with a theme, in colors.xml there are some background values amoung the text values. Dark and light bg, I color both them black cause one is a normal app background, and the other is when you touch a background it changes and stays the other color. There is a value I need to find again to make it work it's in drawable. Soon as I run across it again I'll hit you up. I figured this out by complete accident and made those background colors the same as the text and couldn't read **** lol. Also the .9.png files, I found a quick shortcut to those bastards! Decompile framework-res.apk, navigate to the drawable folder with the .9 and it will be in there decompiled with the drawpatch lines already on it. Edit the color and rerun them in draw9patch (might be a pointless step) then save with the lines already on it. Next push them through eclipse, and your done, keeping stock android guide lines. Now if making your own from scratch, trial and error!

Cool, I'll check that out when I get home. I use apktool all the time for a few different apks for theme tweaks so its not my first bbq hehe. The .9.pngs are fun to play with huh?

Oops, meant to add that I try and add all my .9.pngs before a decompile as it seems to change some to regular pngs and then they aren't editable. Might be my process screwing things up but thought I'd share my experience fwiw

raiderep

Feb 4, 2010
Eureka, CA
Sorry misread your first post. That out file is the out from decompiling only Gmail.apk not the framework. If you want to know the dirty route there is to doing this with a theme, in colors.xml there are some background values amoung the text values. Dark and light bg, I color both them black cause one is a normal app background, and the other is when you touch a background it changes and stays the other color. There is a value I need to find again to make it work it's in drawable. Soon as I run across it again I'll hit you up. I figured this out by complete accident and made those background colors the same as the text and couldn't read **** lol. Also the .9.png files, I found a quick shortcut to those bastards! Decompile framework-res.apk, navigate to the drawable folder with the .9 and it will be in there decompiled with the drawpatch lines already on it. Edit the color and rerun them in draw9patch (might be a pointless step) then save with the lines already on it. Next push them through eclipse, and your done, keeping stock android guide lines. Now if making your own from scratch, trial and error!

You know I've seen that folder but didn't look too closely at it. That would save time with edits for sure. As for the from scratch ones I know all about it hehe. Draw9patch shows how they'll look for the most part when you place the markers but its still fun to see if they work. Be home soon to play with this a bit.

dreamsforgotten

May 4, 2010
Louisiana
Ok first trial run looks good. My phone crashing was cause I did not sign the apk and didn't make a fresh update zip for it. I just stuck it in a theme.zip and deleted everything but apps. I corrected those two mistakes, then added the .9.png images back in and here is what happened: *Look below*

So it seems this is possible, and quite easy. The hard part will be to make new images for the star, check button on the left, as well as finding out where else in the res folder in Gmail decompiled is the header text value, the FW: text value, etc, the things you cannot see in the picture. If this worked so far and it's the first attempt, I think we can make this work!!

This is only the beginning now its about finding the other files. The inbox is black, when you click on menu view labels, all that is still white, when you click on another label like outbox, that is black again, but when you compose mail it's back to white. This is just a baby step to those dying for this!

Attachments

• snap20101014_215031.jpg
    snap20101014_215031.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:

kelmar13

Nov 30, 2009
SWFL
Awesome work! If you know which images need tweaked, let me know. I can help with those and the.9s :D

kelmar13

Nov 30, 2009
SWFL
I'll give 'em a go!

On a side note, do you have any links on info on how to edit the xml's? I'd really like to learn how to do this myself but I'm failing to find anything. :(

dreamsforgotten

May 4, 2010
Louisiana
cool, soon as I get some free time, I've been doing a few write ups. I have one I released last night that deals with what your asking:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=821638

This will get you by with decompiling and editing xmls but you'll have to sign it and I already had problems before with apk manager for signing. I had to download a signing app to do that for me. Then put it in the update zip it's already in, drop it in and overwrite that one with changes. Make sure you copy the original one so you can have a working back up. Here is the file I worked on so far.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9718693/updategmail.zip

**Warning to everyone reading. This is me passing on another file that is useless unless your trying to edit it. It does not function right as is and you won't be able to read the text. This is not a copy of the black gmail, its an alpha gmail with a few xmls and .9.pngs edited. If you solely want to take a look at what I did and expand from there be my guest.

kelmar13

Nov 30, 2009
SWFL
I'll go through it in a few days and let you know what questions I have via PM. I'm familiar with .9.pngs so I guess this is logically the next step. :)

ipaq3115

Oct 7, 2008
Hey so is it possible to change the apk to a zip so it can be edited then just change it back, sign it and replace the apk on my phone through root explorer? Haven't had to much luck with this in the past. Using Stericson's signing tool. MetaMorph looks even easier any reason that wouldn't work for replacing pics and xmls?

decalex

Apr 21, 2009
Boston, MA
Hey so is it possible to change the apk to a zip so it can be edited then just change it back, sign it and replace the apk on my phone through root explorer? Haven't had to much luck with this in the past. Using Stericson's signing tool. MetaMorph looks even easier any reason that wouldn't work for replacing pics and xmls?

I find it a lot easier (if you're just replacing files) to use 7zip. Then set it as default program to open .apk. Once you open an apk and see the contents, you can replace pngs pretty easily and you shouldn't have to re-sign when you're finished.
Then you can cp or use root explorer to replace orig.

dreamsforgotten

May 4, 2010
Louisiana
Exactly.

Might be overkill but I re sign always after altering the xml files but never after pngs.

I find it a lot easier (if you're just replacing files) to use 7zip. Then set it as default program to open .apk. Once you open an apk and see the contents, you can replace pngs pretty easily and you shouldn't have to re-sign when you're finished.
Then you can cp or use root explorer to replace orig.

Do as thou wilt be the whole of the law

dantichrist

Feb 2, 2008
I'm working on this too. I don't have any experience doing themes but I (and my wife) want this and an inverted Facebook.

When I get either one going, I'll definitely share. Unless someone beats me to it. :)

There's themed Facebook apps on the market as paid apps, but I'm not gonna pay for a free app.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

dantichrist

Feb 2, 2008
Got the message text and body changed. That part was stupid easy but for having no experience with this I'm happy :)

43b1c312-53e0-66b0.jpg

Edit: The pic looks like garbage for whatever reason... May be tapatalk. But you can see it enough to get the idea. I'll kep working on it and see what happens.

suzook

Jan 25, 2010
Got the message text and body changed. That part was stupid easy but for having no experience with this I'm happy :)

43b1c312-53e0-66b0.jpg

Edit: The pic looks like garbage for whatever reason... May be tapatalk. But you can see it enough to get the idea. I'll kep working on it and see what happens.

Looks great! Keep up the good work, im looking forward to the release. BTW, could you do a google talk inverted?

dreamsforgotten

May 4, 2010
Louisiana
Good work dantichrist! I dropped the ball working on this. I will dig back into it eventually, I'm leaving for vacation so I'll see where your at with it by next week. G talk might be even more difficult but I'm sure its doable as well.