[Q] Vodafone smart II 2 Root + Customized ROMs

Search This thread

ah_burn!

Jul 20, 2012
Hello my dear friends, this is my first post. I managed to root my Android Alcatel Vodafone Smart II. My recovery menu had only 4 options, and my phone is from Vodafone Romania.

I managed using the UPDATE option from the recovery menu, everything was great.
I removed some of the stupid applications built in by Vodafone, but I still have no solution how to get use of the space because all I can do is access the small 150 MB of memory for applications!

Is there any way to free all the 150MB for apps and move the apps somewhere else and still working?
Another question is how you managed to update those applications? How did you got the new ones?You simply deleted the old ones from /custpack/app and reinstalled the apps once again from Google Play?

Thanks!

You can downlaod all the apps in google market, to free space you can use programs like rom toolbox (since it's already rooted) to move apps from the phone to the SD memory card, but not all of them, some you should keep on the system, and why would you want all apps out of the phone?
All new apps go to SD card, the older /system ones let them stay in the memory of the phone

runswithascript

Sep 23, 2012
Dublin
I have downloaded VodafoneSmart2SU.zip and placed it in the root directory of my SD card, but when I power on the device holding the power button and volume up button, then releasing just the power button when the phone vibrates but keeping volume up pressed down all I get is a screen saying:

Code:
All data will be lost,continue?

It is also in 5 other languages and there is a tick and X for confirm and cancel. I have tried proceeding but all that happens is my phone turns off and when I turn it back on it has been set to factory defaults, and all the other times I try it I press the home button and it powers off the phone.

From your guide http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1697302 I then downloaded Recovery.zip and Alcatel_FASTBOOT_Android_Sooner_Single_ADB_Interface.zip and placed them with VodafoneSmart2SU.zip in the root directory of my SD card.

I have since tried turning on the device by holding down (and keeping held down after vibrate) the power button and the volume down button for three or four minutes but the screen just displays the android logo on a white background and to power off I need to take out the battery.

I have tried the same but releasing the power button after vibrate and keeping volume held down but again the phone just freezes displaying the Android logo.

I even tried powering on by holding both buttons but releasing both when the device vibrates but the phone then just turns on normally, and also powering on holding volume up as I did initially in case I was supposed to.

The phone was purchased last week in the Republic of Ireland, it's running firmware version 2.3.7 and kernel version 2.6.35.7 TCL@50029-1 #1 build number 01016.

What should I do next?

(Also I cannot post in the guide forum because I am a new member)

What am I missing?

madsteeve

Sep 25, 2012
I have downloaded VodafoneSmart2SU.zip and placed it in the root directory of my SD card, but when I power on the device holding the power button and volume up button, then releasing just the power button when the phone vibrates but keeping volume up pressed down all I get is a screen saying:

Code:
All data will be lost,continue?

It is also in 5 other languages and there is a tick and X for confirm and cancel. I have tried proceeding but all that happens is my phone turns off and when I turn it back on it has been set to factory defaults, and all the other times I try it I press the home button and it powers off the phone.

From your guide http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1697302 I then downloaded Recovery.zip and Alcatel_FASTBOOT_Android_Sooner_Single_ADB_Interface.zip and placed them with VodafoneSmart2SU.zip in the root directory of my SD card.

I have since tried turning on the device by holding down (and keeping held down after vibrate) the power button and the volume down button for three or four minutes but the screen just displays the android logo on a white background and to power off I need to take out the battery.

I have tried the same but releasing the power button after vibrate and keeping volume held down but again the phone just freezes displaying the Android logo.

I even tried powering on by holding both buttons but releasing both when the device vibrates but the phone then just turns on normally, and also powering on holding volume up as I did initially in case I was supposed to.

The phone was purchased last week in the Republic of Ireland, it's running firmware version 2.3.7 and kernel version 2.6.35.7 TCL@50029-1 #1 build number 01016.

What should I do next?

(Also I cannot post in the guide forum because I am a new member)

What am I missing?

You can enter recovery mode (update2 phones-no root) by using android sdk tools.First install necessery drivers. Then install android sdk. Connect your phone to pc (debug mode, no mounting) and with adb programm (C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools) type at command promt "adb devices" to check if phone is recognised. Finally type "adb reboot recovery" Your phone will reboot at recovery mode with 4 options only. However I havent tested if choosing "apply update from sd card" and pointing update.zip file from sd card will work/ root/or brick the phone.This is my question!:confused: Anyone tryied this method?

Last edited:
Reactions: runswithascript

runswithascript

Sep 23, 2012
Dublin
You can enter recovery mode (update2 phones-no root) by using android sdk tools.First install necessery drivers. Then install android sdk. Connect your phone to pc (debug mode, no mounting) and with adb programm (C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools) type at command promt "adb devices" to check if phone is recognised. Finally type "adb reboot recovery" Your phone will reboot at recovery mode with 4 options only. However I havent tested if choosing "apply update from sd card" and pointing update.zip file from sd card will work/ root/or brick the phone.This is my question!:confused: Anyone tryied this method?

Thanks for the information, I have posted on 5 Android forums and only had one other reply which recommended a different forum! :)

I will get to work installing Android SDK tools and getting into recovery mode anyway. Is there no safe guaranteed way to get back from the phone being bricked maybe by a backup of some sort? (Sorry, I am new and trying to learn)

Do you have this phone or are you just helping?

Also, bassalh2025 replied to me on the YouTube video for this thread's method of rooting:

Ok then I am sure u know how to push Rooted System.img into your phone. If not refer to XDA threads. Please take into consideration that the Vodafone Smart II in the clip is the ones first released by Vodafone Ireland. I am sure they weren't happy that people find the way to root their phones that's why they changed the Recovery image. Regards.

Because I'm a noob not sure exactly what he means, but I am going to try find out! :cyclops:

madsteeve

Sep 25, 2012
Thanks for the information, I have posted on 5 Android forums and only had one other reply which recommended a different forum! :)

I will get to work installing Android SDK tools and getting into recovery mode anyway. Is there no safe guaranteed way to get back from the phone being bricked maybe by a backup of some sort? (Sorry, I am new and trying to learn)

Do you have this phone or are you just helping?

I have this phone and its big bad brother, ot995.

It is with update2, unrooted and I am trying to find a safe way to root it. There is a way, running a .bat file in order to change system.img. The method with update.zip seems to tweek less files, (maybe I am mistaken).

runswithascript

Sep 23, 2012
Dublin
I have this phone and its big bad brother, ot995.

Glad to know I am not alone :D

Does update2 refer to the Android version or something else? I know you mentioned some update2 earlier when you mentioned the SDK tools.

Is there anyway we could use a backup or something to come back from the phone being bricked, and be certain we could come back?

runswithascript

Sep 23, 2012
Dublin
Successfully rooted using Uniflash 1.2 to access recovery when volume + and power on does not work.

Worked for me using this method, thanks to your recommendation.

I followed these guides to do so:

http://developandroid.blogopogo.com/2012/07/15/set-up-a-vodafone-smart-2-alcatel-tcl-v860-for-android-development-with-eclipse-and-the-android-sdk-using-windows-7/

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1859261

Anyone else trying this, beware before I completely it successfully the tool seemed to only work sometimes, then suddenly it worked without my changing anything. Good luck.

madsteeve

Sep 25, 2012
Successfully rooted using Uniflash 1.2 to access recovery when volume + and power on does not work.

Worked for me using this method, thanks to your recommendation.

I followed these guides to do so:

http://developandroid.blogopogo.com/2012/07/15/set-up-a-vodafone-smart-2-alcatel-tcl-v860-for-android-development-with-eclipse-and-the-android-sdk-using-windows-7/

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1859261

Anyone else trying this, beware before I completely it successfully the tool seemed to only work sometimes, then suddenly it worked without my changing anything. Good luck.

Plz describe in details what u did for rooting.

Last edited:

Enea307

Oct 25, 2011
Download Uniflash 1.2 to Pc . Download recovery.zip to sd card and rename it to update.zip turn on debuging and open uniflash , after conecting type reboot to recovery. After recovery 1.0.0.0 will apear to your phone. Chose install update from sd card, and u are done. Reboot normally u will have Superuser.:)

Sent from my Vodafone Smart II using xda premium

runswithascript

Sep 23, 2012
Dublin
Working root method when you cannot access normal recovery.

Download Uniflash 1.2 to Pc . Download recovery.zip to sd card and rename it to update.zip turn on debuging and open uniflash , after conecting type reboot to recovery. After recovery 1.0.0.0 will apear to your phone. Chose install update from sd card, and u are done. Reboot normally u will have Superuser.:)

What he said, and it's all in the guides I linked although I thought I did not need the ADB drivers as I had some other driver installed that was allowing me to mount my phones SD card as mass storage device and transfer files - I did need the ADB driver installed to allow Uniflash 1.2 to detect my phone properly.

1. Install ADB drivers if you have no already done, you can find them in the PC Drivers directory of your phone if you can access it, if not they are on the main Vodafone Smart II root thread on XDA Developers forum - I am unable to post there due to my low post count.

2. Rename recovery.zip to update.zip and leave in the root dir of your SD card.

3. Install Uniflash 1.2, I used that specific version.

4. Connect phone to computer by cable and run Uniflash. Don't press anything on the main screen, it should detect the phone itself.

5. Once it has been detected enter the flashing option and select 'Boot to recovery', I had to press this several times whenever I wanted to access it.

6. Allow your phone power off and power back on by itself, don't press any buttons.

7. Choose the option which is something like 'update from SD card' and select update.zip if asked but I am not sure if it will.

8. You will get a message notifying you root access has been unlocked.

Note Uniflash at first did not detect my phone properly but after trying a few times it did.

I hope this can help somebody.

filippogiad

Nov 8, 2010
Mestre
I'm really sorry, i wouldn't ask this question but....

I really do not understand how to root this Smart 2!!

What do i need?

I'm going to buy this phone for my mother and want to use part of the SD memory as internal memory for apps.

Is it possible to UNROOT the phone once rooted? (just to preserve warranty)

Enea307

Oct 25, 2011
U have to rename the recovery.zip to update.zip put it to sd card(can find at Roddie thread 1 page). To go to recovery use Uniflash 1.2(download here at XDA) Open uniflash , conect usb to phone , press reboot to recovery from Pc(uniflash) , navigate with volume buttons to Install Update from Sd after reboot and u have Root. To unrot u just have to factory reset and u will lost Root. Thats all.

Hit Thanx Button if i helped :)
Sent from my Vodafone Smart II

Reactions: filippogiad

filippogiad

Nov 8, 2010
Mestre
U have to rename the recovery.zip to update.zip put it to sd card(can find at Roddie thread 1 page). To go to recovery use Uniflash 1.2(download here at XDA) Open uniflash , conect usb to phone , press reboot to recovery from Pc(uniflash) , navigate with volume buttons to Install Update from Sd after reboot and u have Root. To unrot u just have to factory reset and u will lost Root. Thats all.

Hit Thanx Button if i helped :)
Sent from my Vodafone Smart II

thanks a lot!

the recovery.zip file is the one i found here? http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1722811

Enea307

Oct 25, 2011
Yes that one (recovery.zip 1001.8 kb) after rename it update.zip whith pc and put to rot of sd. If u want to delete phone app u have to factory reset the device after deleted the apps, so u can see the free space. After root by the same way. ;)

Last edited:

l.brasio

Apr 22, 2010
Help rooting

Hi guys!

I'm searching for a way to root this Vodafone Smart II.
Already tried the vol up + power button combination but it doesn't work (only the wipe all data information...).

So I researched some other rooting options but I saw that I would need uniflash 1.2... searched the forum and found its topic but it is now closed and with no download link (that I could see at least).
And I also found that there were some bricked phones with Uniflash?!?

Please help!

How should I root this phone?

Thanks a lot for your help

runswithascript

Sep 23, 2012
Dublin
Hi guys!

I'm searching for a way to root this Vodafone Smart II.
Already tried the vol up + power button combination but it doesn't work (only the wipe all data information...).

So I researched some other rooting options but I saw that I would need uniflash 1.2... searched the forum and found its topic but it is now closed and with no download link (that I could see at least).
And I also found that there were some bricked phones with Uniflash?!?

Please help!

How should I root this phone?

Thanks a lot for your help

Why not read the thread before posting?

See my post #51, I have successfully rooted my device when the main methods did not work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Root is solved

The root is done. I will make a Youtube tutorial whenever I have a bit of time. Promise!!!
    How to root Vodafone smart 2

Thanks! I've been trying to understand how android devices work since this is my first one and was about to ask you how you have managed to restore your phone after your little accident with it not booting.

Now I read the you have managed to root it!

My main objective is to update some custpack applications with newer versions and remove others. I'll wait for your youtube tutorial.

The tutorial is now available on Youtube under the title How to root Vodafone Smart 2 II it's Published on 17 Jun 2012 by bassalh2025.
    XDA would NOT let me to post outside links cause I have less than 10 posts.
    To restore it Boot into recovery then choose backup & restore It's an easy process anyway. I suggest to make a backup first just in case if you have an accident like I did with Marinia ROM then it can solve the problem in the future cause as far as I know there is no ROMs available yet for Vodafone smart 2
    Hi XDA,
    Just got my self another android phone. It's Vodafone smart II 2 running Android 2.3.7. I found it hard to root using z4root or superoneclick... Anyway did somebody root this phone yet? Is there customized ROMs for this phone? I was messing with this phone and at least I found how to get into recovery ---> Volume up + Power It looks like it has Alcatel one touch hardware I think.... So help me to root this phone please Can I upgrade this to Android 4 ICS?
    14/06/2012 - Update 1: I tried the universal androot from this link http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=747598"] But did NOT
    work it has been used to root Alcatel OT-981
    - Update 2: I tried the same method used to root Alcatel One Touch Glory 918N from this link http://jcyberinux.com/rjdreyes/how-to-
    root-alcatel-one-touch-glory-918n.html BUT I did NOT get anywhere
    - Update 3: I tried different superuser.zip files and tried to install from recovery BUT unsuccessful
    - Update 4: I tired to install Marina ROM for Alcatel OT990 downloaded from the following link http://xdaforums.com
    /showthread.php?t=1556460 But failed to finish the process, the result the phone would NOT reboot. So I had
    to restore it.
    Is anybody else working on this?
    Video tutorial on how to root the device.
    http://youtu.be/0LX7_Pn2j4g
    The root is done. I will make a Youtube tutorial whenever I have a bit of time. Promise!!!

Thanks! I've been trying to understand how android devices work since this is my first one and was about to ask you how you have managed to restore your phone after your little accident with it not booting.

Now I read the you have managed to root it!

My main objective is to update some custpack applications with newer versions and remove others. I'll wait for your youtube tutorial.
    Splendid! After rooting it I have already managed to update Gmail, Twitter, Facebook and OfficeSuite without wasting precious memory. I simply replaced the /custpack/app versions with the new ones, reboot, et voilá!

Thanks for the root method!