Battery life while bluetooth tethered!?

Search This thread

Largewoodenspoon

Nov 12, 2011
Hi guys.

Just wondering - how long are you supposed to get while the watch is tethered to your phone?

Mine is on nulrom v20 - which is great!

When tethered to my note3 - for notifications (email, phone etc) the battery lasts about 5 hours at the very most.

Is this right?

If so - not too impressed really - pretty pointless if the battery wont last a whole working day......

Let me know guys?

fOmey

Recognized Developer
Mar 7, 2009
Sydney, AUS
Hi guys.

Just wondering - how long are you supposed to get while the watch is tethered to your phone?

When tethered to my note3 - for notifications (email, phone etc) the battery lasts about 5 hours at the very most.

Is this right?

If so - not too impressed really - pretty pointless if the battery wont last a whole working day......

Let me know guys?

How about using tethering when you need it ? Why do you need tethering on your gear constantly anyway ? Of coarse your going to get bad battery life..

kable

Nov 17, 2007
Silicon Valley
I get over 8 hours which lasts me a full day of work. Are you using any CPU management program like setcpu?

Sent from my C6806_GPe using Tapatalk

Largewoodenspoon

Nov 12, 2011
Yep. Whats your cpu settings. Got mine ondemand and 400-1600.
Maybe 200-1200 better?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

jmorton10

Jul 1, 2008
Rochester, NY
I'm getting amazing battery life BT tethered with Null 20 as long as I leave the wrist motion turn-on disabled (with that on mine also dies in 5 hours)

I had mine tethered for 12 hours today (I don't need to, but I was just trying it out syncing gmail etc.), and still had 86% left on the battery readout.

fletch33

Jan 9, 2010
I'm getting amazing battery life BT tethered with Null 20 as long as I leave the wrist motion turn-on disabled (with that on mine also dies in 5 hours)

I had mine tethered for 12 hours today (I don't need to, but I was just trying it out syncing gmail etc.), and still had 86% left on the battery readout.

+1

fletch33

Jan 9, 2010
I've used tethering since it was available. It hardly had any impact on the watch. My phone battery on the other hand got smashed

haha. that is true. fortunately my N3 never suffers from any battery issues when plugged in nightly so i have just been leaving it on or i should say forgetting to turn it off.

BazzaR22

Jul 31, 2012
Hi guys.

Is this right?

Let me know guys?

If you are connected just to receive your notification, as a standard gear would, then your battery should last over a day. You probably need to adjust your voltage settings to solve this. I have mine set to max 500Mhz. Then it seems to last like a stock gear.

If you are connected and using Bluetooth tether, which will give you access to browsing, playstore ect on the gear, then your battery will not last at all. Then your gear and phone should theoretically suffer.

lurkapup

Apr 20, 2012
Auckland
How are people retethering? I've just been leaving mine on and can usually go about 2 days with the watch and daily on the phone. I like the idea of periodic tethering, but not sure how to set it up. Going into the settings and turning it on and off each time seems a bit painful?

If you are connected just to receive your notification, as a standard gear would, then your battery should last over a day. You probably need to adjust your voltage settings to solve this. I have mine set to max 500Mhz. Then it seems to last like a stock gear.

If you are connected and using Bluetooth tether, which will give you access to browsing, playstore ect on the gear, then your battery will not last at all. Then your gear and phone should theoretically suffer.

fletch33

Jan 9, 2010

this really isnt true. my Gear running null_22.1 with CPU set at Max 900 and Min 300 goes days not a day but days while connected to BT Tether the whole time.

here is a snapshot of my battery usage while being on BT tether the whole time.

Attachments

• watch.jpg
    watch.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 284

Largewoodenspoon

Nov 12, 2011
Ok so with null_22.1 I have set the voltage at 200 min and 600 max. It's been bluetooth tethered for nearly 6 hours. Been getting email and text notifications since then and battery is on 71% The watch has actually been on since 7am this morning. Just not bluetooth tethered til 9:50. Am much happier with these results! Only problem is its zapping my note 3 battery!! Oh well. Cant have everything!

nswenson

Ok so with null_22.1 I have set the voltage at 200 min and 600 max. It's been bluetooth tethered for nearly 6 hours. Been getting email and text notifications since then and battery is on 71% The watch has actually been on since 7am this morning. Just not bluetooth tethered til 9:50. Am much happier with these results! Only problem is its zapping my note 3 battery!! Oh well. Cant have everything!

Tethering all day is a nice luxury, but it's not really required. The gear can be set up to notify you of messages from any app. If you see a notification that's worth addressing, just flip on the client side tethering. Use the widget "Bluetooth Tethering Toggle". It's a single button click on the Gear to enable or disable tethering. On the note side, leave bluetooth tethering on at all times. It will not use any extra battery. Battery is only consumed when the client is actively connected.

lazer9

Oct 17, 2007
Hermitage, PA
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
That is what I use also, that widget works super.

I find I can easily get a full days use with battery to spare with BT tethering all day however.

Couple issues here for me.

Bluetooth Tethering Toggle (widget)? correct? It doesn't indicate whether Tethering is on or off when I press it or am I missing something or possibly have the wrong app?

With Bluetooth tethering engaged on my gear, I drain rapidly at about a clip of 2% a minute battery :silly:

jmorton10

Jul 1, 2008
Rochester, NY
Bluetooth Tethering Toggle (widget)? correct? It doesn't indicate whether Tethering is on or off when I press it or am I missing something or possibly have the wrong app?

:

Unless you have the icon hidden like I do with NotifyClean, you should have an icon in the left side of your phone taskbar that comes on when BT tethering.(plus the widget should have a green ring around it)

fletch33

Jan 9, 2010
the main purpose of the Gear is to notify you of any notifications you may have. Why disable tethering??

notifications come via BT standard setup. tethering comes in to play when you want more standalone phone like functions. with no tether you get email, fb, etc.. basically a notification from any app you choose on Gear. with tether added you can actually check email, post fb, use browser, all full internet type activities