[2017.08.02] DSLR Controller v1.05

Search This thread

catmandoo123

Mar 23, 2011
Galaxy Note N7000 with Jelly Bean

Hi,

I am unable to run DSLR controller app on Galaxy Note N7000 running Jelly bean. The app is unable to identify my Canon EOS 7D. I get the following error message.."Could not find a compatible camera on either Wi-Fi or USB........".

Please help..

Rebelj12a

Mar 29, 2013
Wausau
rebelmm.com
There are various levels of USB host compatibility in Android ... you've probably only fixed the kernel level, but the Android portion is still not working. (Some apps use kernel-level USB, others use Android level - now that I've build DSLR Controller, I wish I went with the kernel-level support, but that is hindsight).

You can check in a root shell if "/system/etc/permissions/android.hardware.usb.host.xml" exists, and if it does not, try this:

Code:
mount -o rw,remount /system /system
echo "<permissions><feature name=\"android.hardware.usb.host\"/></permissions>" > /system/etc/permissions/android.hardware.usb.host.xml
reboot

On some devices that makes it work ... :)

Nope unfortunately that did not work, made sure the concatenation in the file itself was correct as well.

android.hardware.usb.host.xml was not in that system file permissions

The only thing present was android.hardware.usb.accessory.xml

This model is still running Android 4.0 still waiting for an update to 4.1 it seems.

I did notice that for mount points there are only sd and ehdd mount points available. Well wait that doesnt make sense since the mouse and keyboard work

/mnt/sdcard/ehdd
/mnt/sdcard/ehdd2
/mnt/ehdd
/mnt/sd-ext

Oh yes and its usb host controller .44

Also got "root hub present, usb host mode is active"

granted like you said android level might not be working.

but i mean this is like a mini computer right? Couldn't you manually mount and assign the usb via terminal commands in the command line because it has the address as well of the usb connection?

Oh wait i just checked the android.hardware.usb.accessory.xml looks like its slightly different the terminal command did not put it in quite right. Let me fix it ill get back to you.

Last edited:

kidexi

Oct 13, 2009
Mobistel Cynus T1 with Jelly Bean

I tested it under Mobistel Cynus T1 with Jelly Bean - according to the datasheet the Cynus T1 should provide USB-OTG, but unfortunately it does not work.

tphive

Jan 5, 2011
Audio Monitoring

As I understand it, the audio comes from special pins in the port, and is not actually transmitted using traditional USB to the client device. I have no personal experience with this, but I know at least one user was looking into making a splitter of some kind to separate the audio signal from the USB signal, and use both at the same time. There was some mention of Magic Lantern in that combination as well, possibly to force the camera to send out both signals at the same time (which I guess would normally be an either/or situation). I have no idea about the current status of this, though, or if it's even possible at all.

Any idea where the current status of this user's cable creation endeavor might be found? To be honest, if audio monitoring were possible while still using my tablet or phone as video monitor, that would be just about the greatest thing ever. I'm a film student, and trying to build a video rig around my T2i, and keeping focus on a little 3" screen just doesn't work very well. Audio however, is very important too, and with Magic Lantern, it eliminates the need for a costly external mixer. (mostly) Though at the moment I'm having to choose between nice big video monitor or audio monitor, which I'd obviously prefer to have both of. :p

Great application though, keep it up!

dman65

Nov 8, 2012
Acer A210

I just wanted to note that I have successfully connected my Acer A210 to both my 5D Mark II and my T2i using the app.

buckbullstallion

Jun 12, 2006
Abandoned

I purchased this, and has not been an update since Sept. Now if it was a free app I would not be asking the question, but I am wondering if or when there will be a future release a 1.0 version in the works and if there is a time line when this will be release. I know for what I paid for this and how it works is great, but many of the scripting is not working. I went to website not too much info, or any news regarding if its still being worked on or not. I am just curious an update on the site would be helpful to people like myself. But it is a great App, just lacking in the scripting it freezes sometimes on my Nexus 7.

Rcourtney

Apr 5, 2013
No Metering

I do not get the Metering options icon on mine.
Canon 5D mark III and Asus Infinity TF700T.
Ok just found it, but I have to touch Shoot mode Icon(Av/Tv/M ext.) to get it to come up which blanks the screen?
Really need a manual or some kind of info about program and some vids.
Yes I know its in Beta(I did pay for it though ;) )
Thanks for any help anyone can offer. Will try to get some pics on to show what I am talking about. Screen looks nothing like screen shots and you tube vids I have seen,

Scorp84

Mar 24, 2011
Saarbrücken
www.freeletics-flo.de
Doesn't work with Odys Genio

Hello,

I've tried everything to get DSLR Controller working. Even
Code:
mount -o rw,remount /system /system
echo "<permissions><feature name=\"android.hardware.usb.host\"/></permissions>" > /system/etc/permissions/android.hardware.usb.host.xml
reboot
. Nothing worked. I've installed USB Host Diagnostics. The problem seems to me the "Android API" section. Device detected is there No and even "claims support" no.

Hope you can help me. Remote release works btw.

Thanks/Suggestion

Hi thanks for the great app. Everything working well with my 550D and Galaxy S3.

Here's a suggestion.

how about a replace or add audio function? would be good to use a USB hub and have the camera and a USB microphone connected. I wonder if bluetooth mics could be used too? Would be amazing for filming interviews.

Also would be great to connect an external controller for the follow focus. Or a motorised slider for time-lapse shots!

Thanks again, most exciting app for me since SkyMap!

curmudgeonly

Apr 7, 2013
Samsung Tab 2 10.1 suddenly not compatible

Samsung pushed an update - Jellybean 4.1.1 which killed the dslr controller functionality.

Chainfire....what to do :(

archstantun

Oct 3, 2009
Audio Levels, Metering and Live Manipulation while recording

I absolutely love this app. But I primarily use magic lantern. This application would fully render magic lantern useless for me if you implemented the use of live manipulation of audio levels.

Last night I was on stage and I used this rig to record a show for Swollen Members and it was crazy. I loved it. For the down low shots I had the ability to view my footage from my cellphone which was located on top and when my shots were eye level I could just use the T3i LCD screen.

Sick, absolutely the best. I love it. Excellent app. Can't stress this enough.

However, magic lantern is free and gives me live visuals of audio levels, it even tells me the dB level in numbers with a bar. And If I go into the canon firmware, it will give me live feedback of the levels and I can scale it back accordingly. Great for if its a one shot deal, but not if you're doing something on the fly like a concert (which most videographers will do at one point).

If you could have the Left Right Channels visually represented with bars and dB values in numbers, with peak warnings AND have the ability to scale back the gain WHILE RECORDING, this would kill every other application for DSLR videographers out there right now.

This is what my rig looks like: eVasto2h.jpg
This is what Canons Firmware looks like: canon-manual-sound-recording.gif
And this is what Magic Lanterns firmware looks like: View attachment 1865687

As you can see, on the fly manipulation with a slider would work great here.

Please consider this, this would justify the cost of paying 8 bucks for the app versus free Magic Lantern.

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Hi thanks for the great app. Everything working well with my 550D and Galaxy S3.

Here's a suggestion.

how about a replace or add audio function? would be good to use a USB hub and have the camera and a USB microphone connected. I wonder if bluetooth mics could be used too? Would be amazing for filming interviews.

Also would be great to connect an external controller for the follow focus. Or a motorised slider for time-lapse shots!

The audio thing isn't technically possible - the camera doesn't accept audio sent this way, you need to use a normal mic plugged into the camera.

Samsung pushed an update - Jellybean 4.1.1 which killed the dslr controller functionality.

Chainfire....what to do :(

I have no idea. What's the output of USB Host Diagnostics now ?

Are there any known issues with DSLR Controller and the Nexus 10?

Works fine for me on my Nexus 10

I absolutely love this app. But I primarily use magic lantern. This application would fully render magic lantern useless for me if you implemented the use of live manipulation of audio levels.

Last night I was on stage and I used this rig to record a show for Swollen Members and it was crazy. I loved it. For the down low shots I had the ability to view my footage from my cellphone which was located on top and when my shots were eye level I could just use the T3i LCD screen.

Sick, absolutely the best. I love it. Excellent app. Can't stress this enough.

However, magic lantern is free and gives me live visuals of audio levels, it even tells me the dB level in numbers with a bar. And If I go into the canon firmware, it will give me live feedback of the levels and I can scale it back accordingly. Great for if its a one shot deal, but not if you're doing something on the fly like a concert (which most videographers will do at one point).

If you could have the Left Right Channels visually represented with bars and dB values in numbers, with peak warnings AND have the ability to scale back the gain WHILE RECORDING, this would kill every other application for DSLR videographers out there right now.

This is what my rig looks like: View attachment 1865652
This is what Canons Firmware looks like: View attachment 1865692
And this is what Magic Lanterns firmware looks like: View attachment 1865687

As you can see, on the fly manipulation with a slider would work great here.

Please consider this, this would justify the cost of paying 8 bucks for the app versus free Magic Lantern.

DSLR Controller isn't meant to compete with Magic Lantern, though sometimes overlapping, they also have very different use cases.

I have that same menu on the 5Dm3 (with more options, actually), and the app actually displays those levels on-screen for my 5Dm3 when in video recording mode. It doesn't display a number but it does display those bars (with green dot for 12, red dot for 0) so you know what level the sound is at. It doesn't do any live adjustment (as of yet).

However, as I think I understand from your post, this sound level isn't displayed on the 600D ? See attached screenshot for how it looks on my 5Dm3. Your capture of your setup wasn't detailed enough to let me see it on your phone.

If these audio levels are not displayed, can you hook your 600D up to EOS Utility, go into liveview shooting (in EOS Utility), and see if the audio levels are displayed in there ? It's possible the information isn't send to the USB device on the 600D, or the format is different from the 5Dm3. Obviously it's not going to be much use if I implement the adjustment, and you can't see the sound levels in the first place ;)

Attachments

• audiolevels.png
    audiolevels.png
    165.4 KB · Views: 127

Scorp84

Mar 24, 2011
Saarbrücken
www.freeletics-flo.de
I could get the app working. Maybe this could help other users to.

I've had to copy 2 files inside system/etc/permissions dir. I got the files in an other Android board. I've done this via ES File Explorer with root access. I've attached the two files. Maybe it helps some of you. Don't forget so set the permission rights for these 2 files after copying.

Now I can only say: really a great app and a superb addition when taking videos.

Reactions: Chainfire

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
I could get the app working. Maybe this could help other users to.

I've had to copy 2 files inside system/etc/permissions dir. I got the files in an other Android board. I've done this via ES File Explorer with root access. I've attached the two files. Maybe it helps some of you. Don't forget so set the permission rights for these 2 files after copying.

Now I can only say: really a great app and a superb addition when taking videos.

Interesting, the commands I suggested should have created one of those two files, the other should not be necessary.

Can you test removing the accessory one, rebooting, and seeing of DSLR Controller still works ?

If it does not, this would be very good to know !

Scorp84

Mar 24, 2011
Saarbrücken
www.freeletics-flo.de
I created a file following your instructions with es file explorer because I could not launch the command in the terminal all. There were some "bad argument" warnings. Maybe I made an error with the XML tags. I will try to delete the other file.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 7 mit Tapatalk 2

cdvideo

Feb 10, 2008
Mulriple Deletes

Just a thought not sure if it has been addressed but I purchased it yesterday and in playing around and taking multiple shots, when it cam time to delete photos it was very slow as it had to transfer each image then do a delete. Are there any plans to add multiple deletes maybe a check mark beside each thumb nail then delete marked photos. Other than that I can'r wait for a clear night to do some astral photography.

Thanks for the great Ap :)

Dan C

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In an effort to de-duplicate a lot of information, I have moved the bulk of it to the DSLR Controller website. This thread still remains the place to get support, discuss, and ask questions, though!

DSLR Controller was the first and remains the best app to fully control your Canon EOS DSLR from your Android device, through USB cable or Wi-Fi connection. No computer or laptop required, no root required, only a compatible mobile device, a compatible camera, and if connecting through USB, the right cable.

We strongly suggest you read up on the website ( http://dslrcontroller.com/ ) about what DSLR Controller can do, how it works, and how to use it, before purchasing. The website contains a wealth of information you should know before using.

Not all devices are compatible, especially if you want to use a USB connection. For a free app you can use to test compatibility, see the "Remote Release" app ( http://market.android.com/details?id=eu.chainfire.remoterelease ). If you need a refund, go to our website ( http://dslrcontroller.com/ ) and follow the instructions in the FAQ entry. We cannot process refunds through email.

Usage notes, feature lists, device compatibility lists, changelogs, FAQs, can all be found on our website: http://dslrcontroller.com/

Most questions should go to the support and discussion thread at XDA-Developers.com:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1202082

Features

Features include but are not limited to:

- Live View
    - Auto Focus (tap Live View)
    - Manual focus adjustments (in AF mode)
    - Histogram
    - Zoom control
    - Grid and aspect ratio overlay
    - Bulb capture
    - Continuous capture
    - Image review (+ follow shot, gallery)
    - Image filters (peaking, contrast, channel mask, grayscale, 4 modes/filter)
    - Video recording
    - HDR/Auto Exposure Bracketing
    - Focus Bracketing (incl. HDR)
    - Focus A-B
    - Mirror Lockup support
    - Timelapse (incl. HDR)
    - Wi-Fi Passthrough
    - Extensive modification of settings
    -- Shutter speed
    -- Aperture
    -- ExpComp and Bracket
    -- ISO speed
    -- Auto-Focus Mode
    -- Focus and Zoom area (tap-and-hold Live View)
    -- Picture Style
    -- Drive Mode
    -- White Balance
    -- Color Temperature
    -- Auto-Lighting Optimizer
    -- Metering Mode
    -- Image and video quality and format

Available options depend on the mode you have your camera set to (M, Av, Tv, etc) and camera model. Refer to the website ( http://dslrcontroller.com/ ) for further details.

Supported Android devices:

If you are connecting using Wi-Fi, virtually all modern Android devices are supported (your camera needs Wi-Fi support, though). If you are connecting over USB, your device needs USB host support - most recent devices do. Please see the 'Devices' section on our website ( https://dslrcontroller.com/devices.php ) for further information.

If your camera only supports USB, you can modify a TL-MR3040 to provide a Wi-Fi connection ( http://dslrcontroller.com/guide-wifi_mr3040.php )

Supported Canon EOS models:

Newer cameras than listed below are usually supported.

Full support:
    - 1D Mark IV
    - 1D X
    - 1D X Mark II
    - 5D Mark II
    - 5D Mark III
    - 5D Mark IV
    - 5Ds(r)
    - 50D
    - 500D
    - 550D
    - 6D
    - 60D
    - 600D
    - 650D
    - 7D
    - 7D Mark II
    - 70D
    - 700D
    - 750D
    - 760D
    - 80D
    - 1100D
    - 1200D
    - 1300D
    - 100D

Limited support:
    - 1D mk III
    - 1Ds mk III
    - 30D
    - 40D
    - 400D
    - 450D
    - 1000D

No support:
    - pre-2006 models
    - EOS M mirrorless devices (work in progress)

Let us know which hardware you are using with DSLR Controller!
    Must-read information

Screenshots and video:
    http://dslrcontroller.com/about.php

Download, BETA usage notes, and changelogs:
    http://dslrcontroller.com/download.php

Table of supported Android devices and Canon EOS DSLRs:
    http://dslrcontroller.com/devices.php

FAQ:
    http://dslrcontroller.com/faq.php
    I am a professional architectural photographer and have adopted your DSLR app into my workflow. Thank you for the great design and amazing functionality. It is a pleasure to work with*.

I would like to know what the future holds for DSLR Contorller. I noticed you are not very active on this forum (last post on 2/26/2015), but wanted to encourage you to keep on developing because I, We need it!!!

DSLR Controller was originally built for Android 2.x years ago, and a lot of things have changed both in the camera world as well as the mobile world. Despite bolting on many improvements, the code shows its age. To take it to the next level and get everything I want into it (customizability, compatibility, portability, speed, etc), a lot of the core needs to be changed, the UI needs to be changed (if not in appearance or functionality then certainly how it's been coded), etc. It pretty much comes down to not just overhauling major parts, but completely redoing it from scratch, and rebuilding it as envisioned from the ground up.

This brings with it a number of issues. It is a lot of development time (and thus money) investment up front, of which you will see no results, until it is almost done. In the mean time, you can't really release anything that isn't up to par with the current version of DSLR Controller, and you can't just replace the current version as old users/devices may no longer be compatible, stranding paying customers. A lot of additional equipment needs to be gotten and tested with to ensure compatibility and portability (remote and end-user testing isn't really workable with apps like these). Not to mention that DSLRs are pretty much doomed, and this is definitely being reflected in daily sales.

The past year hasn't been very good on a personal level, which isn't your problem of course, but it is one reason for the lapse in development of certain apps. This one adds to the fact that in light of the above, it feels like a waste of resources to spend a lot of time on improvements in the current app. There have been talks with a team (from a big brand in the camera world) to take over the IP, pretty much solving the resource problem, but ultimately that fell through, after the talks taking up a large part of my time for months.

Also, I know it seems like DSLR Controller has generated a lot of funds, but spread out over the years its been available, subtracting equipment costs, corporate taxes, wage taxes, etc, you wouldn't be able to hire one(!) half-competent coder for the money left at today's going rates, not to mention the risks involved with hiring people. Even though I do get paid and get all these toys to play with, wanting to build it has always been a large part of this, as there are definitely more profitable ways to spend the time. At the same time having to compete with $300 equipment, and people still complaining about the $8 price.

This app is also a complete nightmare to support, as by far the bulk of the connection issues are not due to the app itself, but due to camera configuration, phone configuration, hardware incompatibilities, firmware incompatibilities, etc. That is, excepting the case where DSLR Controller just hangs, which sometimes (but definitely not always) is an issue with the app. Not to mention the droves of questions and reported issues by people who simply don't understand how their cameras work.

All of that being said, I do believe there may be a business case where a rebuild with additional features and support for Nikon and/or Sony and/or (insert other brands here) and other OSs like Linux, iOS, OS X, Windows, etc using a shared core may at least break even. That is, providing I can find competent developers to do it (as there is no way I can pull this off by myself), and finding said competent developers with at least somewhat relevant skills might in fact be the biggest problem to solve. Still, even in the best case scenario, I don't believe any work will get started before end-of-summer.

Don't mistake the lack of visible activity for lack of interest. What to do with DSLR Controller and how to get there is something I consider every day, as in the end, it's still the app I've enjoyed most developing over the years. But if the solution means spending more resources updating the current app, developing a new one, or investing funds to get a whole new company off the ground with a handful of people to cover both major brands and major OSs - that I don't know yet. But I do hope to have an answer to that sooner rather than later.

(this post was written in a rush as I need to run for another appointment but I didn't want to leave this unsaid, so if it's jumping here and there and not fully coherent, that's why)
    Hey Chainfire, I was wondering if there was an ETA for the next update? I know asking such things is never liked, Im not looking for a hard date just a rough idea and if there is anything else we can do to help?

After next week I have three weeks reserved for exclusive DSLR Controller work, if that doesn't finished the upcoming update, I'd be surprised :)
    The price will go up once v1.0 is reached, but the upgrade is free for those who have this BETA???

Why can't I see free version?

Because it's good software and the developer deserves to get paid. Beta doesn't mean it's not valuable, it means that the software isn't very mature or well tested. if you want it now, you pay. If you want to pay once it's well tested and proven then wait.

Either way, quit your sniveling people. This is an AMAZING deal at that price. If you can afford a DSLR and know how to use it, you can afford 10 times this and would gladly pay it. If you think otherwise, you likely don't need this software to begin with and have nothing to complain about.