Ordered my Focus!!! - Micro SDHC Question

Search This thread

xThe Enforcer

Jan 1, 2011
Florida
I ordered the Samsung Focus with Amazon Wireless for one penny and a two year contract with AT&T! Couldn't be any happier with that.

Anyway, I ordered a case:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00495YF8A/ref=oss_product

And a screen protector (I know it's tough to scratch but eh, why not. Lol)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003F8C1GK/ref=oss_product

So I've been thinking about how much memory is on the phone. 8GB is nice but I will want to put a few of my 720P movies onto the Focus. I figured I could get 8B Micro SDHC (Class 10) and it would make it, 16GB. That's pretty decent, right? I think it will hold me over... Lol.

I did some research and I get the higher the class, the higher the write speeds. Right?

Well, what do ya'll think of this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220493

Thanks in advance everyone!!!

Bwyan Benton

Jun 29, 2010
Windsor, Ontario
8gb is good enough for me....for now! Ill be buying a 16gb card soon enough tho because everytime you change the sd card you have to do a full reset on your phone, so id rather just do it now and get it all over with. So, what im trying to tell you is just get yourself a 16gb card if you going to be adding 720p movies...that way you wont really need to worry about changing the card later. As for the class...class 10 is unnecessary....class 2 has been proven to be VERY sufficient in the focus...even class 4. I had a class 6 and now I have a class 2 and there is NO difference in performance on my focus. Anyways, as for sd cards, be careful because some aren't working properly....I would say your safest bet is buying Sandisk...since thats what Samsung is using in the focus for memory right now.
Hope this helps!

xThe Enforcer

Jan 1, 2011
Florida
8gb is good enough for me....for now! Ill be buying a 16gb card soon enough tho because everytime you change the sd card you have to do a full reset on your phone, so id rather just do it now and get it all over with. So, what im trying to tell you is just get yourself a 16gb card if you going to be adding 720p movies...that way you wont really need to worry about changing the card later. As for the class...class 10 is unnecessary....class 2 has been proven to be VERY sufficient in the focus...even class 4. I had a class 6 and now I have a class 2 and there is NO difference in performance on my focus. Anyways, as for sd cards, be careful because some aren't working properly....I would say your safest bet is buying Sandisk...since thats what Samsung is using in the focus for memory right now.
Hope this helps!

Well, if I put a 720P movie on there, I'll just delete it once I'm finished watching it. Not going to have more than a few gigs of music too. So 8GB is good for me. Obviously once you put a movie on there you can delete it and get your memory back, correct? Sounds nooby but just double checkin... Lol. The higher the class the faster it gets on the card, right?

trips52

May 8, 2008
sd card

i got a sandisk 16g class 4 from radio shack cost about $34, had it in since two weeks before christmas.... loaded it almost full, empted most of it out loaded and unloaded stuff, havn't had any problems so far....... been running strong and just as fast as without the card...

Bwyan Benton

Jun 29, 2010
Windsor, Ontario
Well, if I put a 720P movie on there, I'll just delete it once I'm finished watching it. Not going to have more than a few gigs of music too. So 8GB is good for me. Obviously once you put a movie on there you can delete it and get your memory back, correct? Sounds nooby but just double checkin... Lol. The higher the class the faster it gets on the card, right?

correct...once you delete things you get your space back. I didn't notice much difference in transfer speed between my class 6 and class 2. So if you can, just save yourself the money and get class 4. There was an article I read somewhere that a higher class can actually make performance worse on the phone. Don't know how true it is, but class 2 has been perfect for me. No difference anywhere.

smuook

Oct 27, 2007
Jax, Florida
You need too spend some time reading this thread before buying a microsd card:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=834144&page=3

Determining whether an SD card is Windows Phone 7 compliant is not a simple matter of judging its speed class. Several other factors, such as the number of random read/write operations per second, play a role in determining how well an SD card performs with Windows Phone 7 devices.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2450831

A higher speed class can actually work against you because sometimes the maker sacrifices random operations for speed.

You can either wait for official "windows phone 7 certified" cards or take your chances. Read the first post carefully, especially the most recent posts. I personally have been using a 16gb Samsung card with no problems. Caveat emptor.

xThe Enforcer

Jan 1, 2011
Florida
Sweet, thanks for the info.

This one looks promising...

Patriot Signature 16GB Micro SDHC Class 4 Flash Card Model PSF16GMCSDHC43P

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220524

If you read the feedback, nothing but positive reviews.

"Pros: Very good price to performance ratio. Works with the Samsung Focus. Good read write speeds.

Cons: None

Other Thoughts: Not sure why some say negatives about the speed of the card. Maybe they got a bad one, but this tested out at just under 4.5gb write speeds. I had been using a Sandisk class 2 card with my Samsung Focus, but it would do some random rebooting and crashing. With this card it has been absoulutly perfect for over a week of use. I have 15gb of music and photos on the phone so I know that I am using the memory card along with the 8gb that is onboard with the phone."

Kinda sold on this... Should I do it?!?!?!?! Buy it right now?!?!! lol

PaullikesWINMO

Nov 14, 2010
Toronto
This is pretty much what I was asking in another thread. I want to go with a 32GB card as I don't want to go through hard reset if I ever need more memory later on.

What is a good 32GB tmicroSD card hat works with Focus with no issues? I would like name of manufacturer, class and even the part# so I can source locally (go to store or order online).

Thanks.

Bwyan Benton

Jun 29, 2010
Windsor, Ontario
This is pretty much what I was asking in another thread. I want to go with a 32GB card as I don't want to go through hard reset if I ever need more memory later on.

What is a good 32GB tmicroSD card hat works with Focus with no issues? I would like name of manufacturer, class and even the part# so I can source locally (go to store or order online).

Thanks.

like I said before class 2 or 4 and Sandisk would be your safest bet.

Bwyan Benton

Jun 29, 2010
Windsor, Ontario
You need too spend some time reading this thread before buying a microsd card:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=834144&page=3

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2450831

A higher speed class can actually work against you because sometimes the maker sacrifices random operations for speed.

You can either wait for official "windows phone 7 certified" cards or take your chances. Read the first post carefully, especially the most recent posts. I personally have been using a 16gb Samsung card with no problems. Caveat emptor.

thank you for posting that.

jaraya13

Jun 30, 2008
San Jose
you dumbass! I've been using that for about 2 weeks now without problems....dont tell me it doesn't work!!!

LOL, 2 weeks, that's a lifetime. I am so going to laugh when it starts giving you troubles.

I see you have never read the whole thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=834144&goto=newpost

In that thread you'll see that around 7 guys with that MicroSD had multiple problems with that card, including myself.

Good luck with that L!

Andrew725

Jan 8, 2011
you dumbass! I've been using that for about 2 weeks now without problems....dont tell me it doesn't work!!!

After reading the large thread on compatible cards above, it seems the real test is if you've loaded over 8GB of data onto the SDHC card (or over 16GB total in your case) and don't experience any problems. If that's the case then that's awesome (and it also sadly verifies the fact that no one knows which brand of card really works than the Sandisk 8GB Class 2, which is mentioned in the official instruction manual).

To the OP, I've stuck with the 8GB Sandisk. I considered the OEM version for $12 USD available on Amazon but decided against it, and went with the retail packaged version, which I got at Radio Shack for $20 USD. 14 or so GB will be good enough until the official certified ones are announced.

Last edited:

kawgirlval69

Jan 6, 2010
well ill just refer to him as mr arse... but mr arse is partially correct.... mine was stable up to 15gb then after that it went downhill fast.... so give the dude a bit of a break....

lavike

Jul 19, 2007
Boulder, CO
Has anyone seen any OFFICIAL announcement that there will be APPROVED cards for WP7. I know that Sandisk tried to pull a fast one and say their's were approved but then pulled them. Is MS even allowing such a program?