Sony SmartWatch Impressions?

Search This thread

jdrisch

Mar 7, 2011
I have had one for over 6 months maybe 8 months. Its nice for the images on incoming calls, txt, calender, etc. It is useless without its bt connection so be warned. But its for gadget lovers, and its almost always a conversation starter with anyone with a pricey watch wondering why they don't know what it is. I tend to charge it daily like my phone but I just find it worth putting on everyday which is probably the most useful feedback. I had ablow battery once and it was almost traumatizing having to reach for my pocket to see who was calling or get the time. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using xda app-developers app

nicknmyap

Jul 31, 2013
wow, no voice search functions, no microphone, I think most of the issues (incl. icon refresh lag) is just because the processor is a really slow one, reminds me of very early smartphones, just can't keep up with doing these stuff.

bharatshaan

Apr 3, 2012
bangalore
Hey guys.. I need your help.
I bought mn2 yesterday.
The watch frequently gets disconnected and connected. My watch is almost on vibrate all the time.
Am using Xperia s with jelly bean .211 version.. Help me to get better connection please.
Sent from my LT26i using xda premium

enzo319

Dec 24, 2010
Hey guys.. I need your help.
I bought mn2 yesterday.
The watch frequently gets disconnected and connected. My watch is almost on vibrate all the time.
Am using Xperia s with jelly bean .211 version.. Help me to get better connection please.
Sent from my LT26i using xda premium

Have u updated 2 the latest firmware on the watch? Make sure the app is updated as well

Clapping is giving yourself a high-five for something someone else did.

enzo319

Dec 24, 2010
Hmmm. One thing I'd try is uninstall the smartwatch app from ur phone and reinstall it

Clapping is giving yourself a high-five for something someone else did.

_dunland_

Aug 28, 2013
Im looking to buy one.... but a good friend of mine bought his and is not to happy. He much prefers a real smartphone!!!

FC1032

Aug 30, 2010
Sydney
Hmmmm, anyone have connection problems on 4.3? It keeps disconnecting when the screen's off. Then it goes through continuously connecting and disconnecting (like others have mentioned).

Makes it unusable right now :( I've checked and everything seems to be up to date.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

rkanwar

Aug 23, 2010
West Bromwich
I already have the first smartwatch. Im thinkin of buying smartwatch 2. What are your thoughts guys? Should I upgrade or should I leave it and wait for something else

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

aka_sirok

Jan 13, 2013
lleida
I already have the first smartwatch. Im thinkin of buying smartwatch 2. What are your thoughts guys? Should I upgrade or should I leave it and wait for something else

Well just by reading the sw2 posts and threads you can see that it is in an early stage, you should better wait for a revision coz most of the watches are experiencing screen disassemble problems and some kind of Sudden death..
moreover there are some widgets missing and so.

hope it helped

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

Reactions: rkanwar

worwig

Jan 19, 2008

I've used the first watch, the MN2, for about 8 months. I generally liked what it did, but mechanically it had issues. The clip needed to be repaired a couple of times. The charge connector was annoying. It wasn't waterproof. And it was invisible in sunlight.

I got the SW2 last week and I'm glad I did. It is waterproof, I can tell the time in bright light without touching the watch. The case may not be perfect, but is much better than the MN2. And the apps that I had installed for the MN2, most notably WatchIt!, carried over without touching them.

Now if they just add a few more watch faces.

rkanwar

Aug 23, 2010
West Bromwich
I've used the first watch, the MN2, for about 8 months. I generally liked what it did, but mechanically it had issues. The clip needed to be repaired a couple of times. The charge connector was annoying. It wasn't waterproof. And it was invisible in sunlight.

I got the SW2 last week and I'm glad I did. It is waterproof, I can tell the time in bright light without touching the watch. The case may not be perfect, but is much better than the MN2. And the apps that I had installed for the MN2, most notably WatchIt!, carried over without touching them.

Now if they just add a few more watch faces.

Thanks. I suppose you can use contact adhesive if the watch comes out abit like how people are reporting issues about lifts. Apparantly it is only a small percentage of users experiencing these issues. Thanks for your responses. I may well buy it on the weekend but will still consider it.

worwig

Jan 19, 2008
Hi - How to get Outlook notifications in Smart Watch, please help, it does not shows outlook emails in my smart watch..

Thanks,
Uday

Disable the Sony notifications.
Install WatchIt!. Allow it to handle the notifications. If your phone can get an email or ANY notification, then the watch will display it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone.

Sorry. was a bit busy the last days.

I worked a bit on some smartwatch apps.

the Mail notification app:
    smartwatchmailnotifier11.apk
    should no longer crash on the phone even when wrong settings are entered. i also changed a bit more and added some more settings in the settings-screen that are accessible from the javamail library.

there might still be a not responding message when the app fetches messages. So please press "wait" when this pops up. It should be faster after the first fetch though.

If you have problems i would like if you can provide some server-details. especially if you use some free mail hosting out there and wich settings you used in the app.

I also changed the Whatsapp Notification app.
    I am not sure if the new version prints out the full message. But i changed it so it should print out every possible text type from the view. So there might be some odd number or something like that.
    SmartwatchWhatsappNotifier21.apk

I also made a wrong answer. It seems the smartwatch does support more then the 3x3 touchpoints. i must have misunderstood the documentation of it somewhere.
    I come to the conclusion because there is a new calculator app in the market that must need more than 3x3 touchpoints because of the many buttons.

Or are there different versions of the smartwatch?

//Edit:
    Ok. made another small App for the Smartwatch because the default Calendar app does not show any event at all for me.
    The app shows the Events from your Calendar on your smartwatch and you can swipe with your finger to the left to see the next event and swipe to the right to see the previous event.

It will most likely only work on Android 4.0 and higher devices. So sorry for everyone else.
    SmartwatchCalendar.apk
    Thank you very much beowulf, great apps. the smartwatch map is works great, one question on the mail notifier, i have a verizon galaxy nexus and am having trouble, i dont get any notifications, and i get the mailnotification app is not responding. do i need to change the protocol from imaps or the port from what it automatically is t 993? thanks for any assistance

Hi.

if it is not responding it is most likely some wrong with your setting.
    You can find the correct Port for your mailserver on the webpage of your mailprovider most of the time.
    993 is only the port for the imaps port of google mail.

if you set it to imap it will most likely be a different port.

If you have set the server in any mail application on your desktop PC you could get the correct settings from there maybe.

I also changed the GPS Map application for the Smartwatch.
    It is using now Google Maps and i have set the refreshing even higher. I am not sure about the battery consumtion with that high refreshrate.
    with a press on the screen of the smartwatch you can dim the screen.

The problem with google mail is the big copyright box at the bottom that is eating much space.

Google Maps version:
    http://bytewiese.de/fileadmin/_media/dl/smartwatch/SmartwatchMapGmap.apk

OpenStreetMap version:
    http://bytewiese.de/fileadmin/_media/dl/smartwatch/SmartwatchMap.apk

You can not install both at the same time.

Maybe i should make a thread where all the apps for the Smartwatch can be found? I am not really sure if this is the right thread for the development of smartwatch apps.
    The whatsapp notifier doesnt work on my HTC One x (ICS)
    When I start the app on my smart watch it says "no events" and then it freezes the smart watch.

Hi. that is odd. there is nothing special happening on opening the event-list on the smartwatch.

Do you have the Accessibility Service enablend in your Android System Settings and enabled it inside of the Whatsapp notification settings? (there is a "Active" checkbox. The first one is only to show the icon on the smartwatch and is provided from the LiveWare Manager)

I also digged into the Sony E-Mail notification app.

When i am correct they have extended the Content Provider from the System E-Mail Application. the "isDeviceSupported()" Method does not just check for the Mobile-Phone ID or something like that which would be easy to change for other Phones.
    It does check for the Content Provider from the E-Mail Application where it can get the E-Mail accounts and other data.

So without a modified E-Mail.apk for your Android version and no Root access i suppose it is not possible.

Thanks to Tippfehler and koba for providing the links.
    Hello. i again have developed a bit.

I am not sure if the mail notifier does work now for everyone.
    For me it worked already before on my actual device and in the emulator.
    But still i changed a bit what i have forgot in the mail library.
    smartwatchmailnotifier.apk

and i have developed a GPS Map Application:
    SmartwatchMap.apk

I was not able to use the google maps api inside of an smartwatch app so i needed to make it different.

it uses now openstreetmap.

It does not have an own icon at the moment.

If you do not enable gps on your phone it should use your network location which is not really exact.
    It keeps your WatchScreen enabled and might eat much battery for your phone and watch.

Please remember: everything is still in beta. So sorry about bugs. :)
    Hi fourthw,

About the street names.. i fear google maps is not really optimized for such a low resolution. But it seems zooming out helped. You only need to reopen the app on the smartwatch and the new zoom should be active. I will see if i could make it zoomable from the app.

Am using a galaxy note with android ICS 4.0.4.

If you use google mail with 2 step verification you need to create a password for the app. Try to enter it with or without spaces. I fear though that the google mail imap implementation is a bit different because i wasnt able to see the bodytext either.

I am currently using the rss reader to get the google mail notifications where at least a part of the bodytext is readable. If you wish i could tell you how to use the rss reader for that.

//edit: have you enabled imap in google mail? http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=77695