AOSP Browser

Search This thread

tcb4

Dec 25, 2011
Chrome is a pretty fast browser, but it really needs some touch and scrolling improvements.

brandonyoung

I installed the stock browser and Flash and they both work. I was able to watch Amazon Prime streaming video from Amazon's web site. But it does not look like the browser bookmarks sync to my Google account.

I copied the Browser.apk to /system/app and set the permissions to rw-r--r--

Does anyone know what else needs to be copied?

I have the AOSP image from this thread
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1998585

I found the answer to my question.
I copied the ChromeBookmarksSyncAdapter.apk file from my old tablet, and rebooted. Then went to my Google Account settings and Browser is now included in the sync options.

Last edited:

nyijedi

Jul 5, 2008
Long Island, NY
Not sure if this helps, but I manually put the AOSP browser in my system/app folder, renamed the browserproxy file, and installed Adobe flash, and it is all working fine.

the1onewolf

Aug 20, 2012
INFORMATION UPDATE

GOOD NEWS FOR THOSE REQUESTING BOOKMARK SYNC

I have discovered that the Browser.apk available in my ZIP has bookmark sync BUILT IN!!! It is disabled by default but is very easy to enable.

Instructions: Settings> Accounts> Google> (Select desired account)> Check Browser> ENJOY

j7KPE.png

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

Please don't spam my email, lol

Hey there sexy ;)
Sent you some sexy time sexy sexy pics
Just kidding.

404 ERROR

Jan 8, 2012
You should just make your own thread for this.

And I installed it over a previous version where flash wasn't working, everything works like a charm now including the sync.

Last edited:

notoriouspk

Oct 17, 2010
Toronto
working good thanks!

HERE IT IS

VERSIONS
Browser [version 4.2.1-eng.agascoig.20121128.111445]
ChromeSync [version 4.1.2-485486]
Adobe Flash [version 11.1.115.27]

ENABLE CHROMESYNC
Instructions: Settings> Accounts> Google> (Select desired account)> Check Browser> ENJOY

j7KPE.png

Please don't spam my email, lol

I can confirm it works with 4.2.1 thanks, just wondering what do I need to do when next time we get OTA update from Google ...I can unroot with ota unroot app no problem but since these files go in system do I need to delete them if so which ones .... thank you running smooth with bookmarks and all.

Fromako

Dec 1, 2012
First off, thank you for this work for myself and others that will use it to restore the true stock browser.

There's a slight problem with the 4.2.1 installer that stems from confusion over the way I uploaded the proxy files. The .odex.bak is not the .odex but a zip that contains the apk and odex files. (I'm guessing that you just assumed that the .odex extension was just renamed.)

Anyone who has used it should just be able to either run the fixed installer or run the uninstaller then fixed installer to get the proper file.

Sorry for the confusion and thank you!

Fromako

Dec 1, 2012
No problem! I'm glad I checked the system app folder after flashing the new installer.

I did test that anyone that had used the previous 4.2.1 version can just flash the fixed version and they'll be fine going forward.

dipzb90

Nov 13, 2012
London
Great work so far I really do love the ASOP browser, can I suggest that this get put into its own thread. It can get a bit confusing trying to find the relevant useful information in the thread

dipzb90

Nov 13, 2012
London
It does but not as much as Chrome. This is a test of both of them when http://www.engadget.com/ is open. Plus Chrome uses more that one process while it is open, I never realized that before.

Mine keeps closing a lot. I believe there is a memory leak somewhere. I uninstalled and reinstalled the browser and wiped the cache/ dalvik and flashed permissions. Below is a copy of the Logcat where it shows "GC_Concurrent Freed" is where my browser closed. I'm not getting the same issue on Chrome. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Code:
--------- beginning of /dev/log/main
D( 2642) new_window_surface returns 0x3000  (mali_winsys)
D( 2642) GC_CONCURRENT freed 576K, 12% free 9430K/10644K, paused 4ms+5ms, total 20ms  (dalvikvm)
D( 2642) GC_CONCURRENT freed 298K, 11% free 9528K/10644K, paused 3ms+7ms, total 39ms  (dalvikvm)
D( 2642) GC_CONCURRENT freed 365K, 11% free 9553K/10644K, paused 3ms+3ms, total 32ms  (dalvikvm)
D( 2642) GC_CONCURRENT freed 225K, 9% free 9720K/10632K, paused 1ms+5ms, total 32ms  (dalvikvm)

I've had to uninstall, it has just become unusable

EDIT: not just aosp browser seems to be every browser apart from chrome

found the Issue

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=40784

Last edited:

Lumsdoni

Nov 20, 2007
Hitchin, UK
I had this issue with aosp and all others until I uninstalled aosp. Then the others worked fine. Ocean browser stable for me, with flash

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

440hsp

Jun 9, 2011
Probably a stupid question here but do I need root and recovery first before I can try this? I have disabled chrome because it was lagging badly and giving me the waiting game circle for a few pages.

Edit: BTW I just got my nexus 10 a few hours ago and I haven't updated to 4.2.1. Should I do this also or are there issues with it?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda premium

dalingrin

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 6, 2007
Will we be able to load the AOSP browser on the Nexus 10? Google still cant seem to get the lag out of chrome. It makes the tablet look laggy from the reviews I've seen.

FYI, I just built the chromium test shell(very barebones browser, no tabs, url entry is broken) and the scrolling lag is gone. This is Chromium 25 based rather than Chrome 18 that we have currently. It is not in a usable state yet but scrolling is much improved. The frame rate isn't always 60fps yet but the lagginess is completely gone already and there are several things in development to improve scrolling further.

The biggest improvement so far is that while scrolling busy webpages the browser doesn't stall like it did before. Also fixed is the lag when scrolling a busy website where the scrolling animation is slightly behind like there is input lag.

Hopefully very soon the Chrome shell(the UI) will be open sourced and we can have fully working builds of Chromium for Android.

TLDR: Chrome will be much improved soon.

Reactions: griffinj

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SOLUTION: BOOKMARK SYNC ISSUE

Fyi, for anyone who is having trouble getting sync working (sync is currently experiencing problems...), check to see whether you chose to encrypt your chrome bookmarks. The sync won't work if you did. If you go to google dashboard, find the chrome section, tell it to stop syncing, then go to chrome on your desktop, go to the menu, and sign in. This time when you get prompted about what you want to sync, leave it at default of encrypting passwords only. Fixed my aosp browser sync problem instantly.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
    push it to /system/app?
    And put the right permissions :good: Then reboot.
    Will we be able to load the AOSP browser on the Nexus 10? Google still cant seem to get the lag out of chrome. It makes the tablet look laggy from the reviews I've seen.

AOSP browser will still be available, when 4.2 is released to AOSP, will probably require root to install it. Chrome for Android is not open-source yet, so Google has to also release a Chromium AOSP browser.
    HERE

:cool:
    This hack works for Nexus 7 with jb 4.2:
    http://www.theandroidsoul.com/nexus-7-hack-install-aosp-android-browser-n7/

And I am pretty sure that it will work in Nexus 10 as well....
    :p