[ROM][PORT] Ubuntu Touch 14.04 trusty - update 20140416

Search This thread

Phil_Suz

Dec 6, 2013
Montreal
Hi All,

This is a partial port attempt of latest ubuntu touch 14.04 on our d2att (http://www.ubuntu.com/phone).
Because this port is not fully completed, I prefered to release a multiboot version (multiboot v2.11 needed http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2684052 ).
If you are not familiar wtih multiboot, please check how to use it before testing this rom ( or watch videos examples here : http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCefO8F4YX6qMQsqpBHTqTqQ)

When you install this ROM with multiboot, you will have to choose img format only and at least 2.5G for data parition.

Features ( tested only on my Bell carrier d2att ) :

• Graphics : OK
  • Cellular Radio : OK
  • Wireless network OK
  • Touch OK
  • Suspend/Resume OK
  • Rotation : OK
  • Phone OK
  • Audio OK
  • Boot process : ~OK
  • Camera OK (since v0.12 )
  • Battery : ~OK ( but value printed is 1/3 of the real one )
  • volumes buttons : OK
  • GPS : very partial ( position tracking only working with test_gps command line )
  • Bluetooth : unknown ( but started ) - has to be tested with a headset

All others features are not working (not yet studied nor tested)

Important recommandations to install this ROM under multiboot :

• img file only - install on external sdcard recommended
  • count ~30 mn to install an external sd ( ~15 mn to create rom and 15 mn to install rom )
  • 80M for system, 2.5G for data, 20M for cache
  • first reboot can take 2 minutes, be patient. After more than 2 minutes, press on/off button, it is possible that the phone is put in pause
  • cell can take 2 minutes to come UP.
  • sometimes boot does not work, the device reboot after timeout on main rom. Reboot to recovery and just try a second time. This happen especially if installed on internal sdcard, that's why I recommended an installation on external.
Note : did not find a reboot option : to reboot, I press ~3s power button until screen turns off, then release button and wait first vibration. At first vibration, usual technique to jump to recovery

Download links : http://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=13392

New version 0.2 : http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407586924

small installation example ( installation time has been cutted for 3/4 mn) :

Philippe,

Last edited:

kalel420

Jul 29, 2013
CORPUS CHRISTI
Hi All,

This is a partial port attempt of latest ubuntu touch 14.04 on our d2att (http://www.ubuntu.com/phone).
Because this port is not at all for a daily use, I prefered to release a multiboot version (multiboot v2.11 needed http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2684052 ).
If you are not familiar wtih multiboot, please check how to use it before testing this rom ( or watch videos examples here : http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCefO8F4YX6qMQsqpBHTqTqQ)

When you install this ROM with multiboot, you will have to choose img format only and at least 2G for data parition.

• Wireless networkOK
  • TouchOK
  • Suspend/ResumeOK
  • Boot process :~OK
  • Phone Partial*
  • SoundPartial*
*earphone not working for the moment ( but headsets, micro and speakers seem to work ).
*During call, if no headsets are plugged, audio exits from speakers (not good...)

• Camera
  • GPS
  • Bluetooth
  • Buttons (except on/off)
  • etc...

Process to install this ROM under multiboot :

- img file only - install on external sdcard recommended
- 80M for system, 2G for data, 20M for cache
- first reboot can take 2 minutes, be patient. After more than 2 minutes, press on/off button, it is possible that the phone is put in pause
- cell can take 2 minutes to come UP.

- sometimes boot does not work, the device reboot after timeout on main rom. Reboot to recovery and just try a second time. This happen especially if installed on internal sdcard, that's why I recommended an installation on external.
- If you want to use phone, please plug a headset.

Note : did not find a reboot option : to reboot, I press ~3s power button until screen turns off, then release button and wait first vibration. At first vibration, usual technique to jump to recovery

download link : http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407583338

Philippe,

Do you need to flash the cm 10 rom first or just the trusty zip by its self

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Phil_Suz

Dec 6, 2013
Montreal
Do you need to flash the cm 10 rom first or just the trusty zip by its self

Hi kalel420, the zip contains everything ( cm10 base and trusty ), so you just have to flash this zip. You can also check the video to follow installation process.

Philippe,

codemonkey98

Nov 5, 2013
Pensacola, FL
Hi, I'm codemonkey98 from the other thread discussing multiboot. I am very interested in work, so interested that I mentioned you in the /r/GalaxyS3 subreddit on Reddit. The following thread that I posted can be found below:

I hope you do not mind me simply spreading the word about you. If you do, I will kindly delete the post.

~~~~~

That aside, may I ask how you're going to go about installing this? I do not have multiboot on my phone yet, but do I simply flash that .zip file for multiboot within my recovery and then walla?

Phil_Suz

Dec 6, 2013
Montreal
Hi, I'm codemonkey98 from the other thread discussing multiboot. I am very interested in work, so interested that I mentioned you in the /r/GalaxyS3 subreddit on Reddit. The following thread that I posted can be found below:

I hope you do not mind me simply spreading the word about you. If you do, I will kindly delete the post.

~~~~~

That aside, may I ask how you're going to go about installing this? I do not have multiboot on my phone yet, but do I simply flash that .zip file for multiboot within my recovery and then walla?

Hi codemonkey98, no prob for reddit.:good:
If you plan to install this rom on your main internal, even if I strongly do not recommand it, install should be working (has to be confirmed).
I don't recommand it not only because it is not fully fonctionnal but mainly because reboot process is not good at all.

Philippe,

Reactions: codemonkey98

codemonkey98

Nov 5, 2013
Pensacola, FL
Hi codemonkey98, no prob for reddit.:good:
If you plan to install this rom on your main internal, even if I strongly do not recommand it, install should be working (has to be confirmed).
I don't recommand it not only because it is not fully fonctionnal but mainly because reboot process is not good at all.

Philippe,

I was actually going to install it on my external SD card. So was I right about the TWRP part? I can simply flash the multiboot zip from your multiboot thread within my TWRP recovery?

kalel420

Jul 29, 2013
CORPUS CHRISTI
Hi kalel420, the zip contains everything ( cm10 base and trusty ), so you just have to flash this zip. You can also check the video to follow installation process.

Philippe,

Is the any way you can add support for the MJ2 bootloader I got a unsupported bootloader error when trying to install

Phil_Suz

Dec 6, 2013
Montreal
I was actually going to install it on my external SD card. So was I right about the TWRP part? I can simply flash the multiboot zip from your multiboot thread within my TWRP recovery?

Yes, you install "d2att-twrp2.7-mb-v2.11.zip" from your actual recovery (twrp or cwm), then reboot to recovery to get twrp with multiboot.

Is the any way you can add support for the MJ2 bootloader I got a unsupported bootloader error when trying to install

Hum, this is CM10.1 base which check this. To fix it, you will have to modify updater-script in zip file.
open zip file (with winrar for example), extract META-INF\com\google\android\updater-script, edit it and replace for example on line 2 "I747UCDLK3" by your bootloader version. and replace this file.

[edit] will upload version 0.12 without modem version checking.
[edit2] version 0.12 is quite ready with another function just fixed now : camera :)

Philippe,

Last edited:

codemonkey98

Nov 5, 2013
Pensacola, FL
edit] will upload version 0.12 without modem version checking.
[edit2] version 0.12 is quite ready with another function just fixed now : camera :)

Philippe,

Have you been able to fix the power button? I'm honestly contemplating on making this as my stable ROM for ****s and giggles. I do have a question however, whenever I was creating a ROM in my external SD card, it took a very LONG time for it to backup. I let it sit and it never finished so I just shut it off.

DexedrineXR

Jun 1, 2013
Congrats on the port. I tried it out, had to add a line in metadata and the updater script for the Canadian bootloader so that it was able to flash. It works like advertised....

Reactions: Phil_Suz

Phil_Suz

Dec 6, 2013
Montreal

v0.12 uploaded wich fix this problem and fix camera too.

Have you been able to fix the power button? I'm honestly contemplating on making this as my stable ROM for ****s and giggles. I do have a question however, whenever I was creating a ROM in my external SD card, it took a very LONG time for it to backup. I let it sit and it never finished so I just shut it off.

I think best way to make a clean poweroff/reboot will be to write small qml program.
Installation on external sdcard is long : ~15 minutes for rom creation and again 10-15 min for installation (on my sdcard)
If you get problem on sdcard, just try temporarly on internal sdcard ( check the video on first message ).

Philippe,

codemonkey98

Nov 5, 2013
Pensacola, FL
I was able to flash this tonight, and I must say I'm pressed how far you've gotten with this port. Obviously it's sluggish, but that's to be expected. Honestly, I'm just shocked.

~~~~~

Edit #1 If you are wanting your Google Contacts, you should be able to do this:
Code:
adb shell
sudo -u phablet -i
syncevolution --configure --sync-property "username=email@gmail.com" --sync-property "password=secret" Google_Contacts
syncevolution --sync refresh-from-server Google_Contacts addressbook

If you have 50 or more contacts you'll also have to do this:
Code:
syncevolution --sync one-way-from-server Google_Contacts addressbook

There's also an application that can be used to import Google contacts as well. This application can be found here.

Edit #2 The default password for the account Phablet is phablet if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phil_Suz

Phil_Suz

Dec 6, 2013
Montreal
Congrats on the port. I tried it out, had to add a line in metadata and the updater script for the Canadian bootloader so that it was able to flash. It works like advertised....

I was able to flash this tonight, and I must say I'm pressed how far you've gotten with this port. Obviously it's sluggish, but that's to be expected. Honestly, I'm just shocked.

Hi Dexedrine and codemonkey98, thank's to give feedbacks.:good:
Thanks also codemonkey for those tips. Concerning reponsiveness of the rom, I found it quite good in my case.

Also, I successfully fixed the very annoying problem of audio during calls (exiting from speaker and not earphone) . Now we can call in public :)
Version0.13 is coming up.

Philippe,

codemonkey98

Nov 5, 2013
Pensacola, FL
Hi Dexedrine and codemonkey98, thank's to give feedbacks.:good:
Thanks also codemonkey for those tips. Concerning reponsiveness of the rom, I found it quite good in my case.

Also, I successfully fixed the very annoying problem of audio during calls (exiting from speaker and not earphone) . Now we can call in public :)
Version0.13 is coming up.

Philippe,

You sure you haven't had any issues with the response on this port? Because I have, but like I said, that is to be expected in ports and alpha ROMs.

Concerning the tips I gave, I was honestly trying to find a way of inserting my contacts from my GMail account onto my phone. It appears using the Terminal is the best way as for now, or you could use the application I posted about. Other than that, this ROM really has been great dude. I am surprised to see how stable it is.

~~~~~

I didn't bother testing the audio issue you had mentioned because I don't receive many calls in general. However it is great to hear that you got that resolved. I'll be sure as well to flash the update when that gets uploaded for us. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Phil_Suz

Dec 6, 2013
Montreal
You sure you haven't had any issues with the response on this port? Because I have, but like I said, that is to be expected in ports and alpha ROMs.

Concerning the tips I gave, I was honestly trying to find a way of inserting my contacts from my GMail account onto my phone. It appears using the Terminal is the best way as for now, or you could use the application I posted about. Other than that, this ROM really has been great dude. I am surprised to see how stable it is.

~~~~~

I didn't bother testing the audio issue you had mentioned because I don't receive many calls in general. However it is great to hear that you got that resolved. I'll be sure as well to flash the update when that gets uploaded for us. :)

For sure, external roms are a bit less fast than main internal but not that much. Ubuntu touch use Mir/Libhybris for graphical acceleration so graphics are very good (very small overhead). I did not tried a lot of apps, but did not feel slow responses. Is it general slow behaviour or for specific actions ? Maybe also, your external card is perhaps a bit slow.

Version 0.13 with audio/phone fix has been uploaded and available in first post. I did it as d2lte version to let users from other d2xxx models test this on their device.

Philippe,

codemonkey98

Nov 5, 2013
Pensacola, FL
For sure, external roms are a bit less fast than main internal but not that much. Ubuntu touch use Mir/Libhybris for graphical acceleration so graphics are very good (very small overhead). I did not tried a lot of apps, but did not feel slow responses. Is it general slow behaviour or for specific actions ? Maybe also, your external card is perhaps a bit slow.

Version 0.13 with audio/phone fix has been uploaded and available in first post. I did it as d2lte version to let users from other d2xxx models test this on their device.

Philippe,

3A6Ur8M.png
I'm about to flash this right after I get it on my device. :good:

~~~~

I actually wiped my external card as I plan on testing to see if that was the cause. I may as well do a backup of my current ROM and see how this preforms as a daily driver. As always, thanks again for dedicating yourself towards this. I feel as I'm the only person who's been commenting daily on this thread, but that shows my excitement towards this project of yours.

Well, while typing this post my download is already done. Might as well put this bad boy on my device and flash it. Quick question, with newer releases of this ROM, couldn't you just dirty flash or no?

mkfryan

Aug 9, 2012
Fargo ND
Hey awesome work, I've upgraded to a new phone and gave my daughter the s3 I flashed the other night. Man you rocked it! Good job

Making the iPhone jealous one user at a time.

kalel420

Jul 29, 2013
CORPUS CHRISTI

Philippe,

I have run it a bit today from internal sd and the is a bit of unresponsiveness also when scrolling between things screen we go black till I tap it again by the way this is on v.12 but the only thing I can compare it to is Danks wip rom that I tried a bit which I believe was the developers build and nothing worked but the response time on it was pretty snappy. I also ran that on your multi boot v.2.1 from internal sd card. But this one works that's why your the man! Does the system and catch have have to be 80mb and 20mb or can we up them maybe that might help idk just thinking here.

codemonkey98

Nov 5, 2013
Pensacola, FL
I have run it a bit today from internal sd and the is a bit of unresponsiveness also when scrolling between things screen we go black till I tap it again by the way this is on v.12 but the only thing I can compare it to is Danks wip rom that I tried a bit which I believe was the developers build and nothing worked but the response time on it was pretty snappy. I also ran that on your multi boot v.2.1 from internal sd card. But this one works that's why your the man! Does the system and catch have have to be 80mb and 20mb or can we up them maybe that might help idk just thinking here.

Ubuntu Touch requires the minimum of 2560MB to be used as an actual system. The system is probably at the minimum, and I'm just guessing it is probably the down right minimum for things such as rootfs. The cache is at 20mb because of in case of the max cache size. I might be wrong however, and probably am. I'd just wait until the dev replies.

You could probably increase it if you really wanted to, but it may not benefit you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi All,

Because this port is not fully completed, I prefered to release a multiboot version (multiboot v2.11 needed http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2684052 ).

When you install this ROM with multiboot, you will have to choose img format only and at least 2.5G for data parition.

• Wireless network OK
    • Touch OK
    • Suspend/Resume OK
    • Phone OK
    • Audio OK
    • Boot process : ~OK
    • Camera OK (since v0.12 )
    • Battery : ~OK ( but value printed is 1/3 of the real one )
    • volumes buttons : OK
    • GPS : very partial ( position tracking only working with test_gps command line )
    • Bluetooth : unknown ( but started ) - has to be tested with a headset

Important recommandations to install this ROM under multiboot :

• img file only - install on external sdcard recommended
    • count ~30 mn to install an external sd ( ~15 mn to create rom and 15 mn to install rom )
    • 80M for system, 2.5G for data, 20M for cache
    • first reboot can take 2 minutes, be patient. After more than 2 minutes, press on/off button, it is possible that the phone is put in pause
    • cell can take 2 minutes to come UP.
    • sometimes boot does not work, the device reboot after timeout on main rom. Reboot to recovery and just try a second time. This happen especially if installed on internal sdcard, that's why I recommended an installation on external.

Download links : http://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=13392

New version 0.2 : http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407586924

Philippe,
    Hi all,

Just to give some news about the porting :

• Bluetooth : now can be started. Icon appears on top menu bar. I cannot test it because it is only dedicated for bt headsets but I don't have one.
    • Gps : Interface with hardware is now OK. Command line utility (/usr/bin/test_gps) gives me good position (latitude,longitude). not working under maps app but don't know if it is already working or not on this current dev version.
    • qcow2 support is working now too. (this will open nice features like liveboot)

I'm leaving country for one month next friday, I don't know if I will have time to finish this and package new version before.

Philippe,
    Unfortunately I end up being in a boot logo when I tried to install with multiboot and as a primary install.

Hi all,

Just came back to Canada.
    When free time, I will try to produce a version compatible for primary install and improve installation process to get something more stable.

Philippe,
    One would be the battery being stuck at the 0% while charging.

Hi, here is a patch to get real status and icon during charging.
    Not fully fonctionnal because fall back to 0% when fully charged but at least seems to work during charging which is most important.
    ( if 0% seen during charging, just unplung and replug usb and touch the screen one or two times )

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407585533

Philippe,
    I was able to install following The vídeo without a problem. Just hoping more functionality like buttons and more apps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Ubuntu Touch isn't designed for buttons unfortunately. Applications will come out whenever they're developed.

Hi codemonkey98, yes that's true.
    But since ~1 week, ubuntu team included volume buttons handling in their daily prebuild and this is really great.

By the way, version 0.2 is on progress and downloadable

changelog :

• build on latest ubuntu touch daily prebuilds ( 2014-04-16 ) :
      • volumes buttons working :good:
      • UI changes (scopes)
      • small regression with charge indicator ( multiply by 3 to get real value )
    • added an ubuntu boot splash
    • fixed gps - working only with test_gps ( not working with indicator )
    • bluetooth now started - don't know if it can discover bt headsets
    • add nbd kernel support (for future qcow2 support, a new version of multiboot will be needed)
    If you want to give it a try, it is here : http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407586924

Philippe,