[ROM] Captivate Touch - CM10.1 Stable Modification

Search This thread

TonyBigs

Apr 14, 2011
This ROM is an excellent idea given the build quality, Wolfson audio chip and can easily swap microsd cards without fear of breaking the rear cover.

Except for some Cowon (and expensive Sony) players where else is one going to find in the USA an AMOLED player, with sound and style? Samsung discontinued their line of Android audio players. If one is ever reintroduced I predict it will sell for much more than what a used or New Old Stock Captivate will sell for.

rmntruexjr

Apr 7, 2011
Maine
This ROM is an excellent idea given the build quality, Wolfson audio chip and can easily swap microsd cards without fear of breaking the rear cover.

Except for some Cowon (and expensive Sony) players where else is one going to find in the USA an AMOLED player, with sound and style? Samsung discontinued their line of Android audio players. If one is ever reintroduced I predict it will sell for much more than what a used or New Old Stock Captivate will sell for.

I do basically the same thing for whatever rom I am using at the time for my 2nd cappy for a media player....Not only is the sound great but you can line out through the usb port for car stereos as well as tv out and otg support. I built a dock for it with 2 usb hubs so I can hook up to a tv and use a mouse, keyboard, an external usb audio jack (just for the volume buttons), not to mention a 500gb external 2.5 drive under the dock for storage. It was just a fun/boredom project at first, but it actually is pretty useful.

Organized_Chaos

Aug 27, 2011
Joplin
Sony Xperia XA2
Google Pixel 4a
I am pretty far removed from this at the moment, but mention me in in a post when there is a stable version of CM11 and I will give it a shot.

@dfellars77, if you were pretty far away from this back in March, you're probably even further away from it now. However, it never hurts to ask... :D

Can you do the modification to this ROM? [ROM][KK][4.4.4][PORT] CyanAOSP v4.0.0 [FINAL] = FAST & STABLE

If you don't have time to do the modification, maybe you can write up an explanation on how to do it? I was planning on digging into this myself but I don't want to spend weeks or possibly months figuring out what needs to be/can be deleted without making the system unstable. Do you have to modify any scripts to avoid errors while flashing? If so which ones? My original plan was to use Titanium Backup after I installed the ROM to strip out anything related to the phone, cellular data, etc but I would rather not reinvent the wheel if I can avoid it.

Also, is there a reason you left the Dialer in your original ROM? Would it break the ROM if it was removed or did you just like having the option to use "secret codes" from the dialer?

I'm trying to re-purpose my old Captivate for my step son to use as an Music Player/Video Player/eBook Reader. I'm not going to install Google Apps or any other apps that require an internet connection. This will be an offline device only. If this works, it may very well be one of his best Christmases yet.

Thanks in advance,

dfellars77

Aug 22, 2007
@dfellars77, if you were pretty far away from this back in March, you're probably even further away from it now. However, it never hurts to ask... :D

Can you do the modification to this ROM? [ROM][KK][4.4.4][PORT] CyanAOSP v4.0.0 [FINAL] = FAST & STABLE

If you don't have time to do the modification, maybe you can write up an explanation on how to do it? I was planning on digging into this myself but I don't want to spend weeks or possibly months figuring out what needs to be/can be deleted without making the system unstable. Do you have to modify any scripts to avoid errors while flashing? If so which ones? My original plan was to use Titanium Backup after I installed the ROM to strip out anything related to the phone, cellular data, etc but I would rather not reinvent the wheel if I can avoid it.

Also, is there a reason you left the Dialer in your original ROM? Would it break the ROM if it was removed or did you just like having the option to use "secret codes" from the dialer?

I'm trying to re-purpose my old Captivate for my step son to use as an Music Player/Video Player/eBook Reader. I'm not going to install Google Apps or any other apps that require an internet connection. This will be an offline device only. If this works, it may very well be one of his best Christmases yet.

Thanks in advance,

Ok, you're on your own for this one as I just do not have the time to work it out. Here are the instructions I provided along time ago. This should still work to some degree.

If you remove the dialer, it crashes the rom. Caveat... I haven't touched Android in a long time so I do not know if this is still relevant. If you can make it work, feel free to distribute as you see fit.

Also, do a search for my threads. There were a couple of interesting conversations on how to remove the signal icon. Again, not sure if it relevant to the current iteration.

. Flash Cognitition 4.4.3 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=964583
(I have only tried this with Cognition, but it should work with everything.)
(Also, make sure that you restore your EFS folder if necessary.)

2. Deleted the following using APKs Using Root Explorer:

Callsettings.apk
CSC.apk
DialerTabActivity.apk
Mms.apk - you may have to keep this one in
Phone.apk
Phone_util.apk
TelephonyProvider.apk
SimDetachNotifier.apk

If you get any FC's locate the relevant APK and delete.

3. Reboot

Working:
Bluetooth
Wifi
GPS
Market (Gapps)
USB
Media Player Sync
Browser
Stock Music
CAMERA [5/20 - Update]
much more

swiftlycreepin

Nov 28, 2011
Winnipeg
Ok, you're on your own for this one as I just do not have the time to work it out. Here are the instructions I provided along time ago. This should still work to some degree.

If you remove the dialer, it crashes the rom. Caveat... I haven't touched Android in a long time so I do not know if this is still relevant. If you can make it work, feel free to distribute as you see fit.

Also, do a search for my threads. There were a couple of interesting conversations on how to remove the signal icon. Again, not sure if it relevant to the current iteration.

. Flash Cognitition 4.4.3 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=964583
(I have only tried this with Cognition, but it should work with everything.)
(Also, make sure that you restore your EFS folder if necessary.)

2. Deleted the following using APKs Using Root Explorer:

Callsettings.apk
CSC.apk
DialerTabActivity.apk
Mms.apk - you may have to keep this one in
Phone.apk
Phone_util.apk
TelephonyProvider.apk
SimDetachNotifier.apk

If you get any FC's locate the relevant APK and delete.

3. Reboot

Working:
Bluetooth
Wifi
GPS
Market (Gapps)
USB
Media Player Sync
Browser
Stock Music
CAMERA [5/20 - Update]
much more

Alright. Thanks for the instructions, haven't really been paying much attention to xda, as ive transcended to the world of blackberry 10 os.... but I haven't completely abandonned android though, Still have apks and access to gplay on my fancy dancy blackberry q5... just dont use my cappy much anymore, l passed it on to my little brother until a day comes upon which I'll need my cappy back.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First off, I deserve very little credit for this. All of the heavy lifting is done by the great CM team. All I did was make a few modifications to their work.

This is a no phone, "Touch" version of CM10.1 stable for the Samsung Captivate, based on my previous work with ICS and GB roms. I have removed the APKs from the ROM that control phone functions and most of the cell signal icons. The dialer is still there, but the phone does not work, INCLUDING 911 CALLS."Secret Codes" work through the dialer.

Install instructions: (If you are here I am sure you know how to search so I will not provide direct links, but I like GooManager)

1.) Install cm-10.1.0-captivatemtd
    2.) Install cm-10.1.0-captivatemtd - nophone_v1
    3.) Wipe Data/Factory Reset
    4.) Install JB GAPPS Package
    5.) Reboot

You will get a FC error upon boot, but otherwise everything seems to work. I will update the not working list as I come across issues.

Download Link: http://www.4shared.com/zip/Xwa42uUw/cm-1010-captivatemtd_-_nophone.html

HELLYBEAN Touch Modification.

Again, the heavy listing goes to the real chefs. Give them your thanks and kudos: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1976222

Download Link: http://www.4shared.com/zip/gfymD1GF/Hellybean-20130713-captivatemt.html

COGNITION Touch Mod:

DesignGears gave me permission many many moons ago to mod his ROM so here is is in all of its 2.3.whatever glory.

I RECOMMEND USING ODIN ONE-CLICK AND FLASH BACK TO STOCK BEFORE INSTALLING THIS ROM!

Download Link: http://www.4shared.com/zip/k2jYZSdv/Cognitionv453_-_NO_PHONE.html

Not Working:
    GPS seems to be it. I added the 8NTP fix and will test that out when I can.

Here is the original effort that got derailed by the 2nd child. We have a 3rd now and need of a device to pair with our IP cameras.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1093696

I found the post with my original instruction set. Feel free to play around as necessary.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1087247
    well if that is your thinking ok but honestly I think your modification is worthless. no imprecive one baby monitor costs $ 30 and an MP3 $ 15. so why ruin a good $ 200 dollars phone if with $ 45 dollars if you solve your needs

There are people that like to reuse what they already have around instead of buying new stuff. If you think your way is better this ROM wasn't made for you no need to call it useless just cause you have no need for it. I give him props for finding a new use for a great phone instead of spending money he didn't have to spend.
    well if that is your thinking ok but honestly I think your modification is worthless. no imprecive one baby monitor costs $ 30 and an MP3 $ 15. so why ruin a good $ 200 dollars phone if with $ 45 dollars if you solve your needs

Dude your post is absolutely worthless, if you don't like this guys project then why are you in this thread, this thread is for development talk not complaining about something that you haven't/dont use. I for one have always enjoyed this guy's idea and have used it and also copied it to my other devices, it beats having ny captivate as a $200 paper weight and same can be said about my skyrocket, gs2, gs3, note which would all be useless without this form of a modification.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
    and what is the advantage of converting a perfectly good phone into a device for music only?

For those of us with kids, it allows them to play with their own device without risk of a 911 call!

I use mine as a baby monitor now connected to our IP cameras.

Also battery life is SIGNIFICANTLY improved.

And yes, I know that you can just turn on airplane mode, but 2 year-olds are quite resourceful. Likewise, simply removing the SIM card does not prevent emergency calls.

The thought was for a more elegant solution.

That's a bit harsh dontcha think? Besides, how is it ruined? All you have to do is flash another ROM, which if you are on this site you can pretty much do in your sleep. :good:

This phone has been flashed no fewer than 100 times and probably closer to 200. It has run every version of Android and CM available as well as AOKP, MIUI and my Froyo and ICS Touch Mods. It has been flashed back to stock and loaned to more than 5 friends, returned and reflashed to something else before being loaned out again. This phone has paid for itself over and over, even though it has not been my primary phone since 2010.

Besides, 30$ baby monitors are crap as are the $150 video ones and if you use a subscription service, $15 mp3 players won't solve your needs either (or at least not very well.)