soloblazer

Feb 16, 2009
Hey everyone so i have a XT926
System version 9.18.79.XT926.Verizon.en.US
Android version 4.1.2
Build 9.8.1Q-79
Boot Mode 10.9B
AP Fastboot flash (device is locked status code 0
So about 6 months ago i tried to root and unlock phone, i rooted fine but messed up on the unlock. And the phone was stuck in boot loop. anyways i was able with help from here on XDA get it out of boot loop and working. My issue is a couple things.
1. Can it be unlocked (i have read and read and dont believe its possible)
2. It wont do a factory hard reset it errors out and just reboots.
3. I try to do the OTA and it just get the android guy with the red triangle and then reboots.
4. when i hold volume up and power and get the factory reset, normal boot etc options, any i select just reboot phone.

I would like to do 1 of the following things. and would prefer 1.:
1. if possible unlock and install custom rom.
2. Do the OTA update and have a fresh install
3. Do a factory wipe and sell phone.

Please any help would be great, as the phone has gotten super slow and i usualy like to do a factory reset every 4-5 months to wipe it.

thanks

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
#1= not possible on your build. you can only install safestrap roms which are limited and most commonly found over on razr forum.

to clean it up and go back to stock you could either, use rsd to reflash stock, or grab the one click utility from the dev forum to do the same. the one click utility is the easiest of the 2, just be sure to get the build that matches your system version or newer. you can flash the same version or newer only, trying to flash an older version will just result in a boot loop.

soloblazer

Feb 16, 2009
#1= not possible on your build. you can only install safestrap roms which are limited and most commonly found over on razr forum.

to clean it up and go back to stock you could either, use rsd to reflash stock, or grab the one click utility from the dev forum to do the same. the one click utility is the easiest of the 2, just be sure to get the build that matches your system version or newer. you can flash the same version or newer only, trying to flash an older version will just result in a boot loop.

Are you talking about DROID RAZR HD Utility 1.21 - Windows/Mac/Linux

jewbydoo

Jul 26, 2013
Hi, I have a question.

I had a hard time getting any of the utilities to work initially. Booting up was just scrambled and broken. Anyway, I used v1.34 and it's made progress. It worked it's way through writing system and such. Now the phone is stuck on a bootloop. The phone cannot make it passed the red M before rebooting.

When the phone is plugged in and on an inescapable bootloop, is it charging? My battery was hovering above empty before the v1.34 utility brought me here.

iBolski

So now that the OTA for kitkat is out, i tried to do it and it fails now. what do you suggest to get the newest OTA with kitkat?

thanks

Are you rooted? If so, that is why.

Did you freeze or remove any apps? If so, that's another reason why.

In either case, you will have to FXZ back to stock, unrooted to take the OTA. However, you WILL lose root and there is no root exploit for Kit Kat unless you have an unlocked bootloader, which you already found out you can't have based on the version your phone was at (9.18.X). And, there is NO way to carry root over the OTA. Voodoo doesn't work with Kit Kat at all, and there is just no other way to keep root on locked bootloaders, period.

So, either hold off on the Kit Kat update and pray someone finds a way to root it for locked bootloaders, or else if you can't wait, then realize you may never see root on this phone again.

soloblazer

Feb 16, 2009

In either case, you will have to FXZ back to stock, unrooted to take the OTA. However, you WILL lose root and there is no root exploit for Kit Kat unless you have an unlocked bootloader, which you already found out you can't have based on the version your phone was at (9.18.X). And, there is NO way to carry root over the OTA. Voodoo doesn't work with Kit Kat at all, and there is just no other way to keep root on locked bootloaders, period.

So, either hold off on the Kit Kat update and pray someone finds a way to root it for locked bootloaders, or else if you can't wait, then realize you may never see root on this phone again.

I am the one that started this thread, and i used DROID RAZR HD Utility to get my phone updated via the last update. i have not frooze or removed any of the stock apps. and i dont think i am still rooted. I dont care about having root anymore, so just would like to flash the newest OTA>

soloblazer

Feb 16, 2009

I am the one that started this thread, and i used DROID RAZR HD Utility to get my phone updated via the last update. i have not frooze or removed any of the stock apps. and i dont think i am still rooted. I dont care about having root anymore, so just would like to flash the newest OTA>

iBolski

My bad for not realizing that.

Are you still getting the dead Andy screen after applying the OTA? If so, then you need to go back into the recovery as you did before and then apply the OTA again. This is a two-step process, especially if you applied the OTA manually rather than taking it automatically.

It's still waiting to continue the update for the OTA. So, go back into recovery and navigate to where you stored the OTA zip file on your external SD card and then apply it again and you should be good to go.

soloblazer

Feb 16, 2009
My bad for not realizing that.

Are you still getting the dead Andy screen after applying the OTA? If so, then you need to go back into the recovery as you did before and then apply the OTA again. This is a two-step process, especially if you applied the OTA manually rather than taking it automatically.

It's still waiting to continue the update for the OTA. So, go back into recovery and navigate to where you stored the OTA zip file on your external SD card and then apply it again and you should be good to go.

So just to be clear.
I go to settings/aboutphone/system update. It says checking for update. Update Available/ then i hit download, it downloads it. I click install now. Phone reboots and i see the android man, status bar starts going and gets about 1/3 the way and then get the red triangle in the stomach of the android man. and then phone reboots.

iBolski

So just to be clear.
I go to settings/aboutphone/system update. It says checking for update. Update Available/ then i hit download, it downloads it. I click install now. Phone reboots and i see the android man, status bar starts going and gets about 1/3 the way and then get the red triangle in the stomach of the android man. and then phone reboots.

At that point when it reboots, it should continue on and you should see the android picture again as it continues on installing. This is the second stage of the install and can take up to 15 minutes to complete.

Are you saying it just keeps rebooting at that point and never completes? If so, then you need to go here and follow SamuriHL's directions to the letter to get you up and running -> http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/45494-how-to-xt926-upgrade-to-kitkat-ota/

soloblazer

Feb 16, 2009
At that point when it reboots, it should continue on and you should see the android picture again as it continues on installing. This is the second stage of the install and can take up to 15 minutes to complete.

Are you saying it just keeps rebooting at that point and never completes? If so, then you need to go here and follow SamuriHL's directions to the letter to get you up and running -> http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/45494-how-to-xt926-upgrade-to-kitkat-ota/

No after the android guy with the red triangle, it just does a complete reboot back into android. and then says update failed.

iBolski

No after the android guy with the red triangle, it just does a complete reboot back into android. and then says update failed.

Were you rooted at any point in time? If so, did you flash back to stock? Just uninstalling root will not work.

Your phone must be completely stock with no evidence of it being modified in order for the OTA to work. Rooting is one thing that will modify it to where an OTA will not take.

I had explained earlier that if you rooted and/or froze/removed any system/stock apps, you must use an FXZ image to put your phone back to stock. The link I supplied you with in that previous post will give you a stock Kit Kat image to flash to your phone. That is what you must do.

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
So now that the OTA for kitkat is out, i tried to do it and it fails now. what do you suggest to get the newest OTA with kitkat?

thanks

the razr utility has been updated since you started this thread, to KK.

just go back to the utility post from before, and you will see the new KK version at the bottom.
use it the same way you used the old one and you will be on stock KK. its the same as taking the ota update.

phraxen

May 1, 2009
Hi there:

I've been following this thread, as I'm in a similar situation. I'm pretty sure I'm stuck with either rooted JB or unrooted KK, but just wanted to confirm.

Here's what I have:

-Phone: Razr HD
-System version: 9.18.94.XT926 (VZW US)
-Android: 4.1.2
-Rooted
-Locked bootloader

I'd love some clarifications/confirmations on the following, if anyone has them:

-There is no way to downgrade the system version to an unlockable version (like 9.16). Not even with flashing back to stock everything with the Droid Razr HD Utility.

-There is currently no way to root KK without an unlocked bootloader.

-If I unroot (flash back to stock) and upgrade, I will lose root and likely not get it back.

-The only way for me to currently keep root is to stay on JB.

I'm not interested in custom ROMs, just root.

Thanks in advance.

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
Hi there:

I've been following this thread, as I'm in a similar situation. I'm pretty sure I'm stuck with either rooted JB or unrooted KK, but just wanted to confirm.

Here's what I have:

-Rooted
-Locked bootloader

I'd love some clarifications/confirmations on the following, if anyone has them:

-There is no way to downgrade the system version to an unlockable version (like 9.16). Not even with flashing back to stock everything with the Droid Razr HD Utility.

-If I unroot (flash back to stock) and upgrade, I will lose root and likely not get it back.

Thanks in advance.

-no, cant be done
-correct
-correct
-correct

Reactions: phraxen

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi there:

Here's what I have:

-Rooted
    -Locked bootloader

Thanks in advance.

-no, cant be done
    -correct
    -correct
    -correct
    my razr also got stuck on a boot loop after accidentally applying the kitkat update. it was flashed to cricket. anyways if I'm correct i follow one of the previous links (which one is question 1). what i didn't see was one as the same version as mine(question 2) which link should i go for.

system version/ 9.1.41.xt926.Verizon.en.us
    boot mode/ 10.9B
    device is locked
    was flashed to cricket but not rooted

i hope this is enough info willing to give more if needed

Since you are locked, you must go with the KK firmware. Get it from here:

http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=5

It's too bad that you took the OTA. You were on a version that could have been unlocked. Shame. Now, it's too late. There is NO way to go back to a previous version with a locked bootloader, period. This means you've lost root and must now stay on KitKat.

Still, this KitKat upgrade is not all bad. There are some minor annoyances (popping noise for some people like me), but otherwise, it's a pretty darned good update it you ask me.
    .....does that mean i can or can't got back to JB i'm just clairifing. (i'm sure i understand that its KK or nothing) thank you again

No, you cannot go back to jb with a locked bootloader. If you try you'll brick your phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk