[Q] DHD Bricked? Help?! Vibrates 3 Times and led flashes

Search This thread

Omairss

Jan 22, 2011
Greetings,

About 2 months back i decide to root my phone, so i do, and i go Flash MIUI.

It's worked perfectly fine for 2 months now, with an exception of phone attemting to play with 2 music players and hanging and ultimately rebooting when volume controls were operated on the headset.

A minor glitch? Possibly, i didn't mind.

Yesterday though, while playing through bluetooth on my cars stereo, the hanging-rebooting kept happening quite often, ie. everytime i disconnected it to get out.

Still, didn't sense anything majorly wrong there, so moving on.

Yesterday night i kept my phone for charge, overnight,. In the morning the alarm rings, device vibrates, i put snooze it, and go back to sleep.

When i wake up in an hours tome, my phone wont boot.
It vibrates 3 times and led blinks in red.

My warranty got over yesterday though it was anyway void, since i put a custom ROM on it.

I did, search the threads but whoever bothered to reply, had their warranty on and were on stock ROM.

If there's anything i could do, please do help me out :(

Also, my computer wont detect my phone (Says USB device may have malfunctioned), is there anyway to revert to stock ROM with S-OFF so htc would fix it?

My phone was o/c'd to 1.2 GHz while i was on lordm0d's 8.6 Kernel. Any chances the o/c burn the processor or anything?

Omairss

Jan 22, 2011
The red light means there is a power issue. Do you have access to another battery to try?
Okay, i'll try that and let you know.

I went to htc's service center and they told me the phones been water damaged and that the whole motherboard needs replacement which would cost about 188$.

I haven't dropped the phone in water or let it anywhere near water as far as i know, and the void stickers are all black & white, except one in the motherboard, whose edges are slightly red.

:(

pudel211

Nov 11, 2010
Hi Omairss, i wish you a happy new year !!

Water damage can also happen because of sweat when carrying the phone near the body...

Perhaps worth trying before a 188$ repair:

Remove battery and cover, SD-card and cover and put the phone in a plastic bag together with lots of rice. Place the bag in a warm place for 3-4 days. The rice will bind the water.
Then try again also with another battery, Li-Ion batteries dont like water...

Let us know if it helped.

-Pudel

Reactions: Omairss

JSLEnterprises

Apr 26, 2011
Buenos Aires
the unknown device, is it something to do with 'qload'. if so, its bricked, only fix is a mainboard swap out, or a jtag based flash and re-partitioning of the eMMC.

Reactions: Omairss

Omairss

Jan 22, 2011

Water damage can also happen because of sweat when carrying the phone near the body...

Remove battery and cover, SD-card and cover and put the phone in a plastic bag together with lots of rice. Place the bag in a warm place for 3-4 days. The rice will bind the water.

-Pudel
Cool, i'll try that and let you know.
And happy new year to you too :)

Omairss

Jan 22, 2011
the unknown device, is it something to do with 'qload'. if so, its bricked, only fix is a mainboard swap out, or a jtag based flash and re-partitioning of the eMMC.
What's qload?
Well, the htc guys told me the same thing - a motherboard swap.

I don't know what a 'jtag based flash or re partitioning of emmc is, but it has got to be cheaper than a 188$ replacement? Anyway i can do it?

Also, what do you think would have caused it? Could overclocking have anything to do with it? I mean it could save other phone's heading towards a hardware failure, if it does, right?

JSLEnterprises

Apr 26, 2011
Buenos Aires
What's qload?
Well, the htc guys told me the same thing - a motherboard swap.

I don't know what a 'jtag based flash or re partitioning of emmc is, but it has got to be cheaper than a 188$ replacement? Anyway i can do it?

Also, what do you think would have caused it? Could overclocking have anything to do with it? I mean it could save other phone's heading towards a hardware failure, if it does, right?

Well, Depends on how high you oc'd could have possibly caused a controller failure or something, but we dont know.

Usually its a failure of some sort with the emmc. In my case, the partition table was corrupted (either by cwm recovery, or some other random bug) My experience, and then found the driver, but were not able to go any further using qpst tools.

Google 'RIFF Box', thats the jtag based restoration I mentioned. There are a user or two on xda that offers riff box jtag services, I just cant remember which... and thats only if something corrupted the partition. But if its a hardware failure, then you'll have to get the mainboard replaced.

Omairss

Jan 22, 2011
Well, Depends on how high you oc'd could have possibly caused a controller failure or something, but we dont know.

Usually its a failure of some sort with the emmc. In my case, the partition table was corrupted (either by cwm recovery, or some other random bug) My experience, and then found the driver, but were not able to go any further using qpst tools.

Google 'RIFF Box', thats the jtag based restoration I mentioned. There are a user or two on xda that offers riff box jtag services, I just cant remember which... and thats only if something corrupted the partition. But if its a hardware failure, then you'll have to get the mainboard replaced.
Well, now even the usb connection stopped working. Guess it's the 180$ mainboard replacement for me.

Well, about the overclock, i had overclocked it to 1.5 Ghz and was using the conservative governer, so it would overclock only if it had to.

I had the battery widget installed as well, so it would write logs to my SD card. Couldn't find anything abnormal in the mA, mV, mW, or temp values, prior to the brick, So, clearly my processor wasn't running at full throttle or anything, else it would've reported a spike in either mA, or the temperature atleast.

Would sending pictures of my mainboard help you diagonise, after i replace it?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

-Pudel