Enabling Download Booster [Status Update 5/4]

Search This thread

RevelationOmega

Jan 30, 2014
Florida
From what I've seen, download booster was only hidden in settings of S5 from the Consumer. I posted a thread in Sprint S5 talking about how to enable and thought I'd share here as well for general info.

If you'd like to assist in this project, send me a PM. Any and all help appreciated. (need someone who can edit smali as well)

----Enable Download Booster for All variants S5----

1. Download third party launcher

2. Long press homescreen

3. Select shortcuts -> activities

4.Scroll to settings and open

5. Scroll to Download Booster to add to screen

6. Tap new setting icon on homepage

7. Enable and profit

After enabling, you can see download booster in notification bar grayed out until usage. You CAN unistall third party launcher afterwards if you desire since download booster still activated.

Edit 4/16: WIP, still testing to see what may work. Any info towards file on variant where download booster is enabled would be appreciated (ie, extracting file from T mobile version and posting on forum). Will try to work on it. Currently looking into the S4 forums towards the path and edits needed to make it work.

EDIT 4/18: need framework-res.apk and SecSettings.apk from phone variant that has download booster as an option so I can try to port it to our device.

EDIT 4/23: so Ive gathered the T mobile versions of the apks and decompiled. Ive managed to get the download booster in Sprint Variant settings as of now and easy enable from touchwiz (see screenshot). Still working to fully enable.

EDIT 4/26: see post 30 screenshot, need to find this file location.

EDIT 4/26 #2: after help from miked63017 pointing me to a post by eyecon82, along with what I've found from various ROMs and Db files/etc, I have enabled Download Booster in the Notification Panel drop down (see screenshot). Now to get it fully working.

EDIT 4/28: after decompile of SystemUI, NWBooster actually has many places within, mostly smali edits needed to enabled under Network Controller. The Network Booster is actually related (by searching the SQLite Editor->Settings Storage->Settings.db->system->search for "Smart") to Smart Bonding to the Quick Tile for NWBooster. Also, through decompile of the SystemUI, under Network Controller, I noticed a ro.config.combined_signal (still deciding what this actually is based on file).

EDIT 5/4: I've linked the download booster (aka nwbooster/network booster/smart bonding) to WFC (also called Wificalling). By noticing that smartbonding (under settings.db from SettingsProvider) that Wificalling AND Download Booster both tripped the smart_bonding to become 1 from 0 (showing enabled). I looked again into the Settings.apk decompiled and found that DBooster IS linked to WifiCalling, meaning we get one enabled, we get both. I also know, that under /System/framework that TmoWfcUtils.jar exists which DOES have functioning into why T-mobile has both the Wificalling and Download Booster enabled. I believe this jar has something to do with Dbooster and it being enabled. If you'd like to assist in this project, please PM me.

Last edited:
Reactions: hiyachi-32

karmuh

Jan 15, 2014
Orange County, NY
Unfortunately, that doesn't do anything. Maybe (hopefully) it'll help the process along for a dev to find a way to truly implement the feature, but for right now...that toggle is just for show.

Reactions: AcE2DuCe

marcadam

Nov 23, 2010
Download booster is already in my settings menu, I had a small update yesterday, not sure if that was part of it. I have not really tested it yet though.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Download booster is only turned off for AT&T and Verizon customers. Sprint and Tmobile are still allowing it due to truly unlimited plans.

Nuts...since havent posted my requisite 10 posts yet, Google is your friend about why and how you can get Download booster working...

Im sure one of the fine folks here at XDA will have a workaround in a day or two at the most. Just got my S5 today (tmobile) and was looking for a root workaround (Thanks Chainfire!).:)

RevelationOmega

Jan 30, 2014
Florida
Download booster is already in my settings menu, I had a small update yesterday, not sure if that was part of it. I have not really tested it yet though.

Not option yet for Sprint/ATT/Verizon devices yet, I dont believe there has been update for our devices to enable this option. If you could see back to new update in OP, I need framework-res.apk and SecSettings.apk to see if I can port over to our phones since update may not come for some time (do not have ETA on when theyd do that).

Download booster is only turned off for AT&T and Verizon customers. Sprint and Tmobile are still allowing it due to truly unlimited plans.

Nuts...since havent posted my requisite 10 posts yet, Google is your friend about why and how you can get Download booster working...

Im sure one of the fine folks here at XDA will have a workaround in a day or two at the most. Just got my S5 today (tmobile) and was looking for a root workaround (Thanks Chainfire!).:)

Sprint/ATT/Verizon all do not have download booster option even possible. No one has ported this to our devices yet (as to my knowledge).

eyecon82

May 30, 2010

Sprint doesn't have it even though they have unlimited data

-Sent from Tapatalk

Reactions: AcE2DuCe

marcadam

Nov 23, 2010
Testing it was a disappointment, I really didn't notice any difference in download speed but there again I think three had issues tonight with data, 4g and h+ were both incredibly slow at about .5 mbps ?

Revelation, thats what I was saying. Someone will have a fix in the next couple days. Phone only came out the 13th. You guys know your stuff when it comes to getting rid of the stuff carriers add or break that the phone should be capable of doing anyhow.

And if I could post up speedtest jpg I would. 33Mb/s d/l and 6 Mb u/l. But the download booster wasnt lighting up on the status bar. So I am guessing it was just using wireless in the house.

RevelationOmega

Jan 30, 2014
Florida
Revelation, thats what I was saying. Someone will have a fix in the next couple days. Phone only came out the 13th. You guys know your stuff when it comes to getting rid of the stuff carriers add or break that the phone should be capable of doing anyhow.

And if I could post up speedtest jpg I would. 33Mb/s d/l and 6 Mb u/l. But the download booster wasnt lighting up on the status bar. So I am guessing it was just using wireless in the house.

Yeah, as of now until I can work on trying to get the booster to work via editing files and apks, the icon will be there yet no function. Hopefully it'll come in few days but, unless someone in community develops it first and ports, sprint I don't count on releasing update soon (hopefully wrong and sprint would do that). I'll be working on it as well as others to get this working.

Not on sprint.....

I have the sprint S5 and we do not have the download booster ;-[

Revelation, how would one go about getting those apk's? After rooting I would imagine, but total noob here. I just use the ROMs after you guys cook them.

Currently still stock and no rooted yet on Tmobile. Just finished getting it all set up. Going from S2 with KitKat from Thddude to this thing is a bit of a change...LOL!

RevelationOmega

Jan 30, 2014
Florida
Revelation, how would one go about getting those apk's? After rooting I would imagine, but total noob here. I just use the ROMs after you guys cook them.

Currently still stock and no rooted yet on Tmobile. Just finished getting it all set up. Going from S2 with KitKat from Thddude to this thing is a bit of a change...LOL!

Since you have t mobile, you need root of course. Once rooted, use file explorer to navigate to individual apks and then basically copy/paste into another folder so you could post here. Secsettings.apk in system-> priv-app and framework-res.apk in system-> framework folder. OP had apks needed based on what I saw on S4 and what they extracted in S5. I'm going to dig in their first once I get t mobile or other variant files (preferably t mobile since only still US carrier to have download booster enabled as option). Hopefully if I find the source of where disabled, I can recompile the apks to work on all variants. If I don't find it in those apks, I'll keep looking based on what I see in other claims to being download booster enabled.

Since you have t mobile, you need root of course. Once rooted, use file explorer to navigate to individual apks and then basically copy/paste into another folder so you could post here. Secsettings.apk in system-> priv-app and framework-res.apk in system-> framework folder. OP had apks needed based on what I saw on S4 and what they extracted in S5. I'm going to dig in their first once I get t mobile or other variant files (preferably t mobile since only still US carrier to have download booster enabled as option). Hopefully if I find the source of where disabled, I can recompile the apks to work on all variants. If I don't find it in those apks, I'll keep looking based on what I see in other claims to being download booster enabled.

Ok if I can post up my dropbox correctly Revelation, I should be able to get this to you. However I couldnt get the priv-app file. Couldnt find it. Only the folder named that. Total noob with Unix anything...

go to dropbox.com/s/l1tdljwtlv2yhu9/SecSettings.apk <<< remove spaces before dropbox to get that one.

same thing dropbox.com/s/936v90266784vt2/framework-res.apk <<<same thing. Just remove one space.

Hope that it helps out somewhat. Then I may feel like I actually contributed something.

RevelationOmega

Jan 30, 2014
Florida
Ok if I can post up my dropbox correctly Revelation, I should be able to get this to you. However I couldnt get the priv-app file. Couldnt find it. Only the folder named that. Total noob with Unix anything...

go to dropbox.com/s/l1tdljwtlv2yhu9/SecSettings.apk <<< remove spaces before dropbox to get that one.

same thing dropbox.com/s/936v90266784vt2/framework-res.apk <<<same thing. Just remove one space.

Hope that it helps out somewhat. Then I may feel like I actually contributed something.

Thank you, everything counts towards to get it working.

RevelationOmega

Jan 30, 2014
Florida
OP Updated, see edits over course so far of what I've found out. If someone knows smali coding a bit more, need some to be looked over since found some lines needing to be modded. PM me if you can look over code and know how to edit the smali.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    From what I've seen, download booster was only hidden in settings of S5 from the Consumer. I posted a thread in Sprint S5 talking about how to enable and thought I'd share here as well for general info.

If you'd like to assist in this project, send me a PM. Any and all help appreciated. (need someone who can edit smali as well)

----Enable Download Booster for All variants S5----

1. Download third party launcher

2. Long press homescreen

3. Select shortcuts -> activities

4.Scroll to settings and open

5. Scroll to Download Booster to add to screen

6. Tap new setting icon on homepage

7. Enable and profit

After enabling, you can see download booster in notification bar grayed out until usage. You CAN unistall third party launcher afterwards if you desire since download booster still activated.

Edit 4/16: WIP, still testing to see what may work. Any info towards file on variant where download booster is enabled would be appreciated (ie, extracting file from T mobile version and posting on forum). Will try to work on it. Currently looking into the S4 forums towards the path and edits needed to make it work.

EDIT 4/18: need framework-res.apk and SecSettings.apk from phone variant that has download booster as an option so I can try to port it to our device.

EDIT 4/23: so Ive gathered the T mobile versions of the apks and decompiled. Ive managed to get the download booster in Sprint Variant settings as of now and easy enable from touchwiz (see screenshot). Still working to fully enable.

EDIT 4/26: see post 30 screenshot, need to find this file location.

EDIT 4/26 #2: after help from miked63017 pointing me to a post by eyecon82, along with what I've found from various ROMs and Db files/etc, I have enabled Download Booster in the Notification Panel drop down (see screenshot). Now to get it fully working.

EDIT 4/28: after decompile of SystemUI, NWBooster actually has many places within, mostly smali edits needed to enabled under Network Controller. The Network Booster is actually related (by searching the SQLite Editor->Settings Storage->Settings.db->system->search for "Smart") to Smart Bonding to the Quick Tile for NWBooster. Also, through decompile of the SystemUI, under Network Controller, I noticed a ro.config.combined_signal (still deciding what this actually is based on file).

EDIT 5/4: I've linked the download booster (aka nwbooster/network booster/smart bonding) to WFC (also called Wificalling). By noticing that smartbonding (under settings.db from SettingsProvider) that Wificalling AND Download Booster both tripped the smart_bonding to become 1 from 0 (showing enabled). I looked again into the Settings.apk decompiled and found that DBooster IS linked to WifiCalling, meaning we get one enabled, we get both. I also know, that under /System/framework that TmoWfcUtils.jar exists which DOES have functioning into why T-mobile has both the Wificalling and Download Booster enabled. I believe this jar has something to do with Dbooster and it being enabled. If you'd like to assist in this project, please PM me.
    Unfortunately, that doesn't do anything. Maybe (hopefully) it'll help the process along for a dev to find a way to truly implement the feature, but for right now...that toggle is just for show.

Sprint doesn't have it even though they have unlimited data

-Sent from Tapatalk
    What for? Just to see the mark go higher? That feature is really useless unless you have an unlimited data plan (or you are rich).

Sprint FTW!!!
    I tried the procedure from the OP on my Verizon phone. It worked exactly as described. When I enable download booster the icon appears in the notification bar but it is dim. I tried downloading several large files from several different sources but I could not get the speed boost to engage. If WIFI is enabled, the phone uses WIFI exclusively. The LTE is only used when WIFI is turned off. Nice try though. I'm on Verizon unlimited data so I would love to use the feature if someone can get it enabled.

Anyone have any way to get Download Booster working with 3G?

I don't have 4g in my area :(

Trying currently right now to get it working on Sprint variant as we speak, been having progress. I need logs of sommeone who enables it, lets it download, and toggles on/off. Trying to see next steps. After success, I'll get it on all variants.