S-off Benefits.

Search This thread

Slicktune

May 7, 2010
I'm going to start with an apology if my searching skills aren't that great,but I've searched all around and find nothing.. ok..question...
Can someone name some benefits a user can gain by getting s-off on this device...? I thought unlocked and rooted was enough to flash roms....now I have to get s-off??

Thanks in advance...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Apr 16, 2013
Murrieta, CA
I'm going to start with an apology if my searching skills aren't that great,but I've searched all around and find nothing.. ok..question...
Can someone name some benefits a user can gain by getting s-off on this device...? I thought unlocked and rooted was enough to flash roms....now I have to get s-off??

Thanks in advance...

Edit: You don't need S-Off to flash custom roms/kernels/recoveriers - it's for people that want to tinker at a deeper level.

From what I remember from my DNA days, S-Off removes the security flag on HTC devices and allows you to flash a different h-boot, change the CID - which allows you to flash firmware from different carriers (BE CAREFUL DOING THIS), and remove the "unlocked/tampered" text from the fastboot menu.

Also, check out the 2nd half of the article in this link: http://www.pocketables.com/2013/04/why-you-want-root-and-s-off-on-htc-devices.html

Again, be careful with S-Off. If you ever go back to S-On and have the wrong h-boot or firmware installed I believe it will brick the device.

Last edited:

Slicktune

May 7, 2010
Edit: You don't need S-Off to flash custom roms/kernels/recoveriers - it's for people that want to tinker at a deeper level.

From what I remember from my DNA days, S-Off removes the security flag on HTC devices and allows you to flash a different h-boot, change the CID - which allows you to flash firmware from different carriers (BE CAREFUL DOING THIS), and remove the "unlocked/tampered" text from the fastboot menu.

Also, check out the 2nd half of the article in this link: http://www.pocketables.com/2013/04/why-you-want-root-and-s-off-on-htc-devices.html

Again, be careful with S-Off. If you ever go back to S-On and have the wrong h-boot or firmware installed I believe it will brick the device.

Thanks bro, I have s-on/unlocked but it doesn't say anything about being "tampered" I did notice around the threads that everyone that wanted to convert to gpe or flash a GPE Rom needs s-off?

Thanks in advance

Apr 16, 2013
Murrieta, CA
Thanks bro, I have s-on/unlocked but it doesn't say anything about being "tampered" I did notice around the threads that everyone that wanted to convert to gpe or flash a GPE Rom needs s-off?

Thanks in advance

Well that's new to me. If the developer of the ROM says to have your phone S-OFF then definitely go with their instructions. I haven't seen the S-OFF method on the forums here, but I'm sure a google search will get you to the needed file(s) and instructions. If I remember correctly, actually achieving S-OFF wasn't too complicated/dangerous as long as you're comfortable using adb/fastboot - it's just what you can do to your phone once you've achieved S-OFF that can be dangerous.

Reactions: Slicktune

otariq

Feb 17, 2012

Thanks in advance

If you fully convert to gpe I think you need s-off because you use the ruu. But with an unlocked bootloader, you can just flash the gpe ROM instead of fully converting the phone.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Ch4m3l30n

Slicktune

May 7, 2010
If you fully convert to gpe I think you need s-off because you use the ruu. But with an unlocked bootloader, you can just flash the gpe ROM instead of fully converting the phone.

I'm sorry, but I have to ask...what's the benefit of a full gpe conversion? Does it run faster...Will it update if the HTC gpe edition gets updated and will I have trouble with the T-Mobile bands? Thank you so much

otariq

Feb 17, 2012
That's exactly why most people do the ruu conversion, when there's an ota they will get the update too as long as you keep the stock Google recovery. Although on my m7 I was able to get ota with twrp. On m7 I kept Google radio and had no problems with T-Mobile. I think it should be the same for m8 since on the play store it says the phone supports T-Mobile. Just go check out the thread for the conversion if you need help.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2708589

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks in advance...

Thanks in advance

Well that's new to me. If the developer of the ROM says to have your phone S-OFF then definitely go with their instructions. I haven't seen the S-OFF method on the forums here, but I'm sure a google search will get you to the needed file(s) and instructions. If I remember correctly, actually achieving S-OFF wasn't too complicated/dangerous as long as you're comfortable using adb/fastboot - it's just what you can do to your phone once you've achieved S-OFF that can be dangerous.

Thanks in advance

I'm sorry, but I have to ask...what's the benefit of a full gpe conversion? Does it run faster...Will it update if the HTC gpe edition gets updated and will I have trouble with the T-Mobile bands? Thank you so much

That's exactly why most people do the ruu conversion, when there's an ota they will get the update too as long as you keep the stock Google recovery. Although on my m7 I was able to get ota with twrp. On m7 I kept Google radio and had no problems with T-Mobile. I think it should be the same for m8 since on the play store it says the phone supports T-Mobile. Just go check out the thread for the conversion if you need help.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2708589