[PROJECT] /cache as RAM

Search This thread

hellmonger

Oct 9, 2010
Laval
Well i had an idea since we don't use the /cache partition, well i don't i was thinking we could use it as RAM.

Any ideas are welcome :)

mchlbenner

Jul 1, 2008
Hi
If you want a challenge try to get senors working on cm7.

Sent from my XT720 using XDA Premium App

hellmonger

Oct 9, 2010
Laval
Hi
If you want a challenge try to get senors working on cm7.

Its built on Korean right... lol i haven't even looked at it yet.... i would really like to get a fully 100% kick ass pure android working first.....

Call it a learning experience.

Because everything i know i learned here watching guys like Mz and KhP.
i need to get this finished first..

still imagine unlocking 100mb of ram bro.... cause thats what the /cache is man swap or RAM if i get that unlocked ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

hellmonger

Oct 9, 2010
Laval
how would that effect the ability to download market apps if its not available?

Go away kid you bother me............:p

no effect.... no relevance for that matter LOL

but maybe you could help me.....

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

And if they did.... what about if they accidentally the whole thing?

Mioze7Ae

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 27, 2010
Queen City of the West
Google Pixel 7
You could maybe make a swap file on /cache (and an additional swap file on /data) and throw in some of the other useless small partitions. But that's still going to require fastboot.

I like using /cache for /data/dalvik-cache though and I used to get pretty close to filling it. CyanogenMod is sort of nice in that it will actually split the cache between /cache/dalvik-cache and /data/dalvik-cache with /cache/dalvik-cache holding the system apps and /data/dalvik-cache holding the downloaded cache.

eejin2

May 8, 2011
Singapore
good luck! then we wont have to partition our sd card for swap anymore! possibly better battery life than swap on sd as less power is needed too!

mchlbenner

Jul 1, 2008
Before you judge I'm running iceandfire 3.0 overclock at 900 and getting 13,566 to 14,000.
This build is stupid fast.
One issue sensors no big deal you can't do it I will find someone who can.

mrmako777

Dec 14, 2010
dragging knee on the track
Go away kid you bother me............:p

no effect.... no relevance for that matter LOL

but maybe you could help me.....

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

And if they did.... what about if they accidentally the whole thing?

Like 3rd string mentions, cache size determines the size of an app you can download from the market as the market uses /cache as a repository to download/install apps...at least that's what I've noticed

Sent from my Milestone XT720 using Tapatalk

eejin2

May 8, 2011
Singapore
Before you judge I'm running iceandfire 3.0 overclock at 900 and getting 13,566 to 14,000.
This build is stupid fast.
One issue sensors no big deal you can't do it I will find someone who can.

come on he wasnt saying he did not want to help... cant you read what Hellmonger said carefully? anyway, wouldnt it be good if you could use cache as swap? makes things more complete now that there are already so many good roms for our phone. since we are almost making 2.2 perfect, why not just do a little more, instead of leaving it there and starting to work on 2.3 where theres much more work left to do...

hellmonger

Oct 9, 2010
Laval
So i think Mz has the right idea..
But do we really have to set it up as swap the whole point ois to get this set up as ram so we dont have to fast boot anymore....

fjfalcon

Jan 19, 2011
Schelkovo
kernel dont have swap support, so you can't use it from kernel layer. maybe you may find some swap functions in dalvik virtual machine layer, but I don't sure is there any

Last edited:

hellmonger

Oct 9, 2010
Laval
kernel dont have swap support, so you can't use it from kernel layer. maybe you may find some swap functions in dalvik virtual machine layer, but I don't sure is there any

still no luck...

my goal is to stop the whole fastbot thing and use that cache partition as RAM, i already know how to set the download cache directory to SD card

on my ROM it's already implemented...

/cache as Ram.....

Reactions: S7icky

Mioze7Ae

Dec 27, 2010
Queen City of the West
Google Pixel 7
We really need to pull our bootloaders and decomplile them to see if there's a way to do the fastboot ourselves. The people that have looked the hardest at the bootloader are on Milestone A853, but according to them they don't have a working "fastboot boot" so that code pathway is missing from their studies.

What we need to find out is what the pathway through the bootloader is that ends up with booting a custom boot.img from RAM (i.e. does fastboot boot go through the entire boot stack or not and if it does how does it convince it to skip the check). In other words I have two mental two models for how fastboot works:

Model 1
  1. Start boot process
  2. Read flags that direct boot to fastboot
  3. Load and execute fastboot bootloader
  4. fastboot reads kernel from USB into memory
  5. fastboot continues boot using the kernel in memory
Model 2
  1. Start boot process
  5. fastboot sets up the phone for boot of the memory-loaded kernel
  6. fastboot restarts boot process
  7. Read flags that direct boot to load and execute the kernel from RAM
So the question is which one is correct? Does fastboot boot continue the current boot process, or does it alter the next boot? That's the big question. If it's model 2, here's an outline for a possible attack:

Attack for Model 2
  1. Normal boot of blessed kernel through sh_hijack.sh
  2. hijack loads a new kernel from the phone into memory
  3. hijack sets up the phone for boot of the memory-loaded kernel
  4. hijack set boot flags for fastboot boot
  5. hijack restarts boot process
  6. Boot memory loaded kernel

So how do we figure out if XT720 uses #1 or #2?

FYI: these are the A853 decompiled bootloaders: https://gitorious.org/droid/reversed (see the asm folder inside the source tree--we need this for XT720 so that we can understand what fastboot boot is doing)

Last edited:

mchlbenner

Jul 1, 2008
I believe a 2nd had beem complied but it would not boot radio and we don't have a baseband made.

Sent from my Milestone using XDA Premium App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We really need to pull our bootloaders and decomplile them to see if there's a way to do the fastboot ourselves. The people that have looked the hardest at the bootloader are on Milestone A853, but according to them they don't have a working "fastboot boot" so that code pathway is missing from their studies.

What we need to find out is what the pathway through the bootloader is that ends up with booting a custom boot.img from RAM (i.e. does fastboot boot go through the entire boot stack or not and if it does how does it convince it to skip the check). In other words I have two mental two models for how fastboot works:

Model 1
    1. Start boot process
    5. fastboot continues boot using the kernel in memory
    Model 2
    1. Start boot process
    5. fastboot sets up the phone for boot of the memory-loaded kernel
    6. fastboot restarts boot process
    7. Read flags that direct boot to load and execute the kernel from RAM
    So the question is which one is correct? Does fastboot boot continue the current boot process, or does it alter the next boot? That's the big question. If it's model 2, here's an outline for a possible attack:

Attack for Model 2
    1. Normal boot of blessed kernel through sh_hijack.sh
    2. hijack loads a new kernel from the phone into memory
    3. hijack sets up the phone for boot of the memory-loaded kernel
    4. hijack set boot flags for fastboot boot
    5. hijack restarts boot process
    6. Boot memory loaded kernel

So how do we figure out if XT720 uses #1 or #2?

FYI: these are the A853 decompiled bootloaders: https://gitorious.org/droid/reversed (see the asm folder inside the source tree--we need this for XT720 so that we can understand what fastboot boot is doing)
    I was looking into the exact samething but once bootloader is loaded how do we get the OS to load the Kernel?

I thought nothing was running exept fast boot at that stage...

That gets down to my question: how does fastboot boot the kernel? Does it set some flags and reboot?

Here's what I mean: The bootloader decides where it's going at boot. i.e. at least one of these options (a) normal boot, (b) boot to recovery or (c) bootloader or (d) fastboot bootloader. Is there another one: (e) boot the kernel that's already in memory?

One way you can tell the bootloader where you want to go is by pressing buttons. But there is obviously another way--you can boot into recovery (I'm talking about the motorola recovery here--openrecovery is a normal boot from the bootloader's perspective) without holding buttons. When you do type something like "reboot bootloader" and "reboot recovery" or use the power menu in Android to do that somehow the bootloader is being told what to do. It does this by saving state outside of the filesystem somewhere. As you've been combing through your logcats you may have seen:
    Code:
    D/        ( 1528): MOTO : pwr_rsn = POWERUPREASON : 0x00004000
    I think that's an example of this sort of communication. More evidence for this sort of thing: when you run the command "reboot bootloader" or "reboot recovery" the strings "bootloader" and "recovery" are passed to the kernel via the __reboot() function. The kernel saves that information somewhere. On next boot the bootloader reads that state and goes where it's been asked to go. So this external pathway for talking to the bootloader between reboots exists. Reboot to recovery or bootloader boils down to calling:

__reboot(LINUX_REBOOT_MAGIC1, LINUX_REBOOT_MAGIC2, LINUX_REBOOT_CMD_RESTART2, "recovery");
    __reboot(LINUX_REBOOT_MAGIC1, LINUX_REBOOT_MAGIC2, LINUX_REBOOT_CMD_RESTART2, "bootloader");

These go into kernel/sys.c of the linux kernel and I think these then filter into architecture-dependent code inside e.g. arch/arm/mach-omap2/board-sholest.c etc and gets written to the GPIO's and stored for the bootloader to read at next boot.

The question is does "fastboot boot" also use something like that to signal for the bootloader to not load anything into memory and to just trust and boot the kernel that's already made it into memory? I have a hunch this is a good guess from an engineering perspecitve. If you don't do as close to a real reboot into the new fastbooted kernel as possible you run the risk of introducing new unexpected bugs. That's why I think there's a slight chance that "Model 2" may be what actually exists and it's using some sort of GPIO signal or whatever to tell the bootloader to skip the signature checks and boot a kernel that's already in memory.
    LOL no ideas huh.....

Me either.... i wont give up tho i know for sure there is a way...

still no luck...

my goal is to stop the whole fastbot thing and use that cache partition as RAM, i already know how to set the download cache directory to SD card

on my ROM it's already implemented...

/cache as Ram.....
    I believe a 2nd had beem complied but it would not boot radio and we don't have a baseband made.

This would be different from 2nd-boot. Despite the name, 2nd-boot doesn't use a second boot. 2nd-boot tries to replace a running kernel with new one. The idea here is to just automate the fastboot boot we already use (which may or may not be possible).