The ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity Thread

Search This thread

David Dee

Nov 12, 2010
Toronto
The tf300 finally was available at best buy here in Canada so I picked one up to satisfy my craving while waiting for the infinity. I have to say, after the Prime issues, Asus has redeemed themselves with this device. I had the a510 and in my view this device is way better. It is lighter, sleeker profile, better display, and although there is no separation of the speakers, the sound is awesome. In fact, I think the audio is comparable to the a510. There is also no heat issue during gaming at all. The product just feels so much more premium to the a510. If the infinity was not coming I would definitely keep this device, but the lure of gorilla glass 2, ips +, better resolution, metal body and longer battery life are too much to ignore. One thing having this device has done for me is made it clear that the infinity is my choice, as I was considering the a700, not anymore.

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA

ishamm

Sep 7, 2011
I suggest 720p mkv files. They look great on my 1080p 24" monitor and super fine on my A510. I use a 64GB card, or my 1tb USB ntsf drive. A510 powers the drive, plays two movies and still about 50% battery left.

Average size is less than 4GB. Tegra 3 is nice, since these files choked on my Thrive and the Transformer.

Added: IMO, 1080p video is overkill for a 10" tablet and uses more space and battery. I can not tell the difference on my iPad 3 at all.

I do notice on my hi def projector, but that is a 120" screen.

i didnt think of using an external drive, presumably the Infinity usb port will be enough to power one, and run movies directly off it? or is an external powered one needed? thanks

helfone

Dec 19, 2009
Hehe. Why don't you go outside and enjoy the nice weather were having finally:)
Naah, just kidding. I too am waiting impatiently. At least i have the Galaxy S3 incoming shortly. That should keep me occupied for a while.

I dont consider 4 degrees C, 10 m/s winds and rain good weather :p Either we have very different view of good weather, or perhaps we just live at opposite ends of our country :)

You're lucky to be waiting for the S3, wish I was. TBH its a good thing I can't have the tablet now, I'm reading for an exam and if I had the tablet we all know what I'd be doing instead of reading.... :D

rwniel

Mar 1, 2011
It looks like that June 10th date is for all intents and purposes officially confirmed, at least for some countries/regions. 'Released' does not necessarily mean available, but based on what's happened with the latest TF300 I would hope Asus can get fairly close to that date. :) In the past, UK models have always focussed more on bundles with the keyboard dock rather than tablet only. So I wonder if Asus will do the same with the Infinity with the dock effectively discounted to 50 pounds.

Regarding the earlier question on external hard drives by 'ishamm', I would assume it'll be the same as the original transformer and the Prime. As long as the drive doesn't require a secondary USB port purely for power and doesn't otherwise draw too much power then it should work. I've been using a few different drives on my Prime and prior to that the TF101.

Robert

Last edited:

helfone

Dec 19, 2009
It looks like that June 10th date is for all intents and purposes officially confirmed, at least for some countries/regions. In the past, UK models have always focussed more on bundles with the keyboard dock rather than tablet only. So I wonder if Asus will do the same with the Infinity with the dock effectively discounted to 50 pounds.

I wonder what source that site has. It doesnt give any new information, and its posted on a sunday. I find it very wierd. I think they just learned about the infinity today and they figured they might as well make a story about it...

rwniel

Mar 1, 2011
I wonder what source that site has. It doesnt give any new information, and its posted on a sunday. I find it very wierd. I think they just learned about the infinity today and they figured they might as well make a story about it...
That's always the issue with the web, especially when it's unattributed (plus the spec has been widely known for a while) - we really have to wait for some sort of official announcement while at the same time recognising that until it's physically in stock at stores the dates we've seen don't really mean much. Asus on their UK Facebook page had quite a while ago made a statement that the Infinity wouldn't be available until June at the earliest. So I think they've had the aim for a summer release all along. However, look what happened with how the Prime release was managed so I do think we have a right to show a healthy display of skepticism.

Robert

Last edited:

rwniel

Mar 1, 2011
I don't think it'll be that price with the dock, but £499 in the UK for the 32GB model bundled with the keyboard dock certainly seems achievable.

Robert

Einride

Sep 8, 2010
With Qualcomm having problems keeping a steady supply of Krait SoCs, I fear that we might not see a 3G/LTE version of the Infinity until late 2012. And by that I mean availability, not just a release date with out of stock pretty much everywhere. This is pure speculation, of course (and speculating's fun!).

I might have to revise my "I want the 3G version" and settle for the Wifi one instead. People have supposedly gotten 3G USB dongles to work with the TF101 and 201, although it's quite picky about which ones work. Maybe that'll be a work-around for me.

What I do know is that I need a tablet before doing yet another 200 hour flight (okay, they're more like ~20 hours combined, but it sure feels like it's 200 hours...).

I'll even get an iPad if I have to. And we all know that every time someone buys an iPad because they couldn't be arsed waiting for the Infinity, Rick Astley kills 10 kittens. So, Asus... CHOP CHOP! Think of the kittens!

cute-kitten-502.jpg

No, not in the face, Rick! Not in the face!

banone

Nov 7, 2007
With Qualcomm having problems keeping a steady supply of Krait SoCs, I fear that we might not see a 3G/LTE version of the Infinity until late 2012. And by that I mean availability, not just a release date with out of stock pretty much everywhere. This is pure speculation, of course (and speculating's fun!).

I might have to revise my "I want the 3G version" and settle for the Wifi one instead. People have supposedly gotten 3G USB dongles to work with the TF101 and 201, although it's quite picky about which ones work. Maybe that'll be a work-around for me.

What I do know is that I need a tablet before doing yet another 200 hour flight (okay, they're more like ~20 hours combined, but it sure feels like it's 200 hours...).

I'll even get an iPad if I have to. And we all know that every time someone buys an iPad because they couldn't be arsed waiting for the Infinity, Rick Astley kills 10 kittens. So, Asus... CHOP CHOP! Think of the kittens!

cute-kitten-502.jpg

No, not in the face, Rick! Not in the face!

You know, when i bought my ipad 3G last year, i was shure i needed the 3G version. But after using it for nearly a year, i realized i mainly used it at home on Wifi, and when travelling, there usually was wifi available. So i realized that i could very well do with a wifi tablet, and just tether when nessecary. In the brief time i owned the Prime, i never missed the ability to connect directly, so now i'm going for the wifi only Infinity.
Well, i would anyway, because i'd never have the patience to wait for the 3g version.
I did do some long flights with my prime, and the keyboard was very useful as a stand watching movies. Just a note of caution. Don't put it too close to the seatback in front of you. When you fellow passenger decides to recline a bit, they usually just slam the seat back. My prime nearly got in a bind that way, and it would have broken, if i hadn't possessed lightning reflexes:cool::rolleyes:

Reactions: Einride

Top Liked Posts