Finding s3 slow after jelly bean update :(

Search This thread

Lookin4somehelp

Oct 8, 2012
Pegasus Galaxy
After I updated to stock international jelly bean update for s3 found it to be laggy and found that when I open up task manager the system seems to be using at least 500mb ram whether or not I have apps open :(

Does anyone know of any fixes or mods which could remedy this?

NewAussiefromCanada

Aug 27, 2012
Brisbane
After I updated to stock international jelly bean update for s3 found it to be laggy and found that when I open up task manager the system seems to be using at least 500mb ram whether or not I have apps open :(

Did you do a full wipe before you flashed stock JB?
Are you on stock kernel?

Start with wipe of delvic cache to start, remove any bloatware that you do not want

Perhaps try a Rom or different kernel... personally on omega and it is very fast and smooth aswell as battery friendly

Sent from my Jelly Omega SIII using XDA App

Reactions: Lookin4somehelp

p4tr1ck1

Oct 30, 2010
same here

same problem here.. from stock international s3 ICS updated OTA to jelly bean 27 Oct 2012. Cannot load My Files, cannot load installed apps from gplay. OTA broke my phone which was ultra smooth before update. Any fix?

tedulus

Sep 3, 2007
I too noticed the following :
- much slower
- very noticeable battery drain
- TW force closes
- The phone sometimes heats up just sitting in the pocket
- manny dropped calls
- restore from the autoupdate from ics does not work

In my oppinion this update is an downgrade, my fast and reliable phone had becomed a slow pain in the ass. This forces me to root and loose my warranty, Samsung should be punnished for f****ing up our flagship phones.....

Mortosmx

Oct 30, 2012
same here

I have same problem, after update my galaxy s3 international ver. now is slow and lagy

any fix for thiis?

chrizzzzly

Aug 2, 2008
Wuppertal
Same Problem

I have the same problems. Stock firmware. After OTA Update to JB its verry slow and laggy.

After reboot, it works smooth and fast. But in the course of the day it becomes slower and slower...

Any Ideas?

achugar

Dec 28, 2009
I have to say the same. After i update to Jelly Bean via OTA i have a lot of lags here and there.

The good:
- Facebook is now faster (at least the scrolling)
- Youtube open a little bit faster than ICS

The bad:
- There is a little lag in the transitions when you press the home button (only when you have a some apps open)

The very bad:
- battery last shorter than ICS, not a lot but noticeable worst battery life.
- Photo gallery doesnt show full screen when in landscape
- When you zoom in a photo has a lot of lag when move in the image
- Gmail, when scrolling in a message the text needs a little to render, this doesnt happened with ICS.

I will try to do a hard reset, but if this will fail in improve performance i think i will move back to ICS

I have to say the same. After i update to Jelly Bean via OTA i have a lot of lags here and there.

The good:

The bad:
- There is a little lag in the transitions when you press the home button (only when you have a some apps open)

The very bad:
- Gmail, when scrolling in a message the text needs a little to render, this doesnt happened with ICS.

I will try to do a hard reset, but if this will fail in improve performance i think i will move back to ICS

I totally agree on the cons and pros - and it seems that as the LED is messed up on my phone. I am on stock JB 4.1.1 not rooted. Another issues I just discovered is that my phone not say fully charged and it does not change the LED to Green. I did a hardreset before I updated, and I tried to hardreset again today. For the first hours the phone i running smooth.....then it start to be laggy and slow. I really hope there will be a update soon for solve this - or I will have to root my phone for re-install ICS.

Reactions: drvenki

drvenki

Oct 31, 2012
London
I totally agree on the cons and pros - and it seems that as the LED is messed up on my phone. I am on stock JB 4.1.1 not rooted. Another issues I just discovered is that my phone not say fully charged and it does not change the LED to Green. I did a hardreset before I updated, and I tried to hardreset again today. For the first hours the phone i running smooth.....then it start to be laggy and slow. I really hope there will be a update soon for solve this - or I will have to root my phone for re-install ICS.

Absolutely the same situation with me too! I am so mad at Samsung now for functionally downgrading my wonderful S3 :( It was perfect until I did this update! :( Hope Samsung or Google come up with some remedy fix pretty soon!

crazy4ker

May 31, 2010
Same here, ultra laggy and now my phone has completely frozen. Won't load up anymore :(

Gonna have to relearn how to sort it out.

achugar

Dec 28, 2009
Ok now that i had made a factory reset:

Jelly Bean now run a little bit smoother than before but, and this is a big but:

- Photo gallery remains the same. No full screen photos in landscape (notification bar space is in the top) and also and most important: if you take a picture in 8mb resolution when you zoom in that photo, scrolling is slow and has a lot of lag.
- Gmail app remains whit lag for rendering text inside messages.
- I feel that the battery still last longer with ICS

The rest is good. But above problems doesnt happened with ICS.
Overall i fell ICS a little bit smoother, dont get me wrong, i mean smoother not faster.

Today i was reading about a new update to JB from samsung, it started in Spain, lets hope this update will repair some of things listed.

(sorry for my english im from Uruguay - South America)

Fayzann

Aug 17, 2012
Lahore
I got my S3 more slow after Automatic Update from JB on the mobile, but then after I found the solution.

Here's to solution to get the fast and stable version of JB for your phone.

- Install Kies
- Connect your phone to kies through data cable, not from WIFI
- Data cable mode should be media device, not the kies mode.
- Open Kies then Go To Tools >>> Firmware Upgrade and Initialization
- Backup your all things then click again on Firmware Upgrade and Initialization through TOOLS.

This will make s3 smooth like butter :)

It will download the official software thorugh Samsung's servers, It would take hours to download the software, usually 2 hours on 4mbps Connection.

and your S3 shouldn't be rooted, this method will on work on non rooted devices.

Azy77

Nov 1, 2012
Huddersfield
I updated to Jelly Bean on 26/10 from T-mobile UK - (I think T-mobile gave me an unlocked phone though as I seemed to get this update earlier than other T-Mobile users)

I was disappointed that some of my apps (MX player, dolphin browser) became buggy but that was possibly due to the apps needing to be updated by the developers.

I found the update to be smooth, but the battery life was absolutely atrocious when compared to ICS 4.0.4 (lasted about 10 hours on JB compared to 36-48 hours on ICS). I factory re-setted and was gutted to find JB still on there. After speaking to T-Mobile I was referred to Samsung HQ (the one most local to me) and they re-installed JB but it had no difference on battery.

I came home gutted, then read some reviews on cnet about custom roms and took the plunge & rooted my phone and downloaded Energy HD 2.0 rom (by Dakix) which I am currently using. I cannot begin to explain how much better this is than the terrible JB update from T-Mobile. Although this rom is based on 4.0.4 (ICS) I find the battery even a bit better than stock ICS, never mind the joke that is JB.

I just wish it contained some official Samsung apps like voice recorder and brightness in the notification, which unfortunately were removed from this rom, but even then I highly recommend it. It cuts out all the bloatware and runs smooth with a solid solid battery life.

drvenki

Oct 31, 2012
London
I got my S3 more slow after Automatic Update from JB on the mobile, but then after I found the solution.

Here's to solution to get the fast and stable version of JB for your phone.

- Install Kies
- Connect your phone to kies through data cable, not from WIFI
- Data cable mode should be media device, not the kies mode.
- Open Kies then Go To Tools >>> Firmware Upgrade and Initialization
- Backup your all things then click again on Firmware Upgrade and Initialization through TOOLS.

This will make s3 smooth like butter :)

It will download the official software thorugh Samsung's servers, It would take hours to download the software, usually 2 hours on 4mbps Connection.

and your S3 shouldn't be rooted, this method will on work on non rooted devices.

Hi Fayzann, I think you just got lucky. I did my upgrade through Kies when my S3 was in MTP mode. this is something to do with the stock ICS installation which causes this problem while migration of apps or may be later when the installed apps are optimized for the new OS. whichever the case I see and 6 other friends of mine have also seen a significant reduction in battery life and system speed along with scroll freeze, keyboard jam and every single time I see my RAM usage is above 800mb even after killing most of the apps. This is atrocious!!! Still patiently waiting for that remedy! :crying:

JJEgan

Oct 24, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Azy77;33548549 I just wish it contained some official Samsung apps like voice recorder and brightness in the notification said:
You can always add missing apps back .

As to JB lag and Battery life as per multiple posts its better on a clean wiped phone with no apps as a fresh install rather than overwriting old stuff .

jje

ezman

Nov 28, 2006
Definitely noticing the phone is now slower since Jellybean official update on O2 UK.

Key points

-Actual phone takes longer to load up - sometimes 2 or 3 seconds
-App Drawer takes time
-Home screen lag still there though much less
-Typing sometimes laggy
-Google Search slow (maybe disable google now)

Is a hard reset going to change anything?

Thanks,
Ezman

topnoch

Jun 11, 2010
Kaunas
The same problem for me(battery life and slow interface).

Are there any news from samsung about update, which would fix this mess?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good news lads n lasses!!

Haha.. so, today I got a reply from Samsung Support and I have literally copy-pasted it here..

"Thank you for contacting Samsung.

I am sorry about the issue you are experiencing with your Samsung Galaxy S III handset since the JellyBean update and understand this can be frustrating.

We are currently developing a fix for this issue and we will be rolling it out via a firmware update in due course.

I’m sorry for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

If you require any further assistance, please contact Samsung again and we will be more than happy to help.

Kind regards,

Online Support Team
    SAMSUNG Customer Support Centre"

So that is some relief I should say. Eagerly waiting for that fix!! meanwhile to get temporary relief, it helps to clear up the ram every now and then before making calls or texts or zooming in on fotos to avoid the lag! :) works for me.. :cyclops:

Did you do a full wipe before you flashed stock JB?
    Are you on stock kernel?

Start with wipe of delvic cache to start, remove any bloatware that you do not want

Perhaps try a Rom or different kernel... personally on omega and it is very fast and smooth aswell as battery friendly

Sent from my Jelly Omega SIII using XDA App

The good:

The bad:

The very bad: