All Things "ServiceMode" Related

Search This thread

LeftyGR

Oct 18, 2011
Bloomington, IL
If I wanna downgrade from 4.4.2 -> 4.1.1 to unlock the phone, can I just flash a stock rom with Odin? I don't care about warranty and knox flag.
Well the Note3 never had 4.1.1. Having said that, it is unlikely that you can. If you're on a Samsung phone, they increment the bootloader. Which prevents going backwards, and usually fails to flash in odin.

thepinkpanter

Jun 19, 2013
Thought I'd start a thread to compile everything we know about "ServiceMode" into a single thread, rather than having to go all over the place to find stuff.

What I know as of now:

As of now, I'm aware that you can enable access to the ServiceMode on a rooted VZW Note 3 by editing the /efs/carrier/HiddenMenu file and changing it from OFF to ON (uppercase is required).

For unrooted Note 3's, some have said there are some apps on the play store that will access the ServiceMode, but I have not been able to confirm these work.

Once ServiceMode access is enabled:

*#27663368378# takes you to the main menu where you can change various settings...most of which I don't know what they're for.

---Tips...the 'back button did not work for me and simply closed out of ServiceMode. Use the left 'Menu' key to bring up options, including 'Back'. Also, you can create a contact with the *#27663368378 number (minus the last #) and use that contact to 'copy to dialer' and save yourself from typing that number repeatedly.

To turn off Wifi Power Saving Mode:
Use either code above and at the ServiceMode screen, press the hard menu button, then select Wifi, then press the button under WIFI POWER SAVE MODE to turn it off.

To enable the new AWS band:
*#27663368378# to Main Menu, select [2]UE SETTINGS & INFO, then [1]SETTING, then select [2]SYSTEM, then select [9]NEXT PAGE and then select [4]VZW LTEB4 ON/OFF and finally select [1]B4 ENABLE ()...It should change to [1]B4 ENABLE (*) with an asterisk to show it is the selected option.
-- More information specific to the AWS settings can be found here. Thanks to @milan03

What I'm not sure about:

There is a setting under the RELEASE VERSION CONTROL menu for LTE 3GPP REL 9 and LTE 3GPP REL 10. Mine was set to REL 9, but I changed it to 10 and am going to see what happens. I google LTE 3GPP REL 10 and found some documentation. Not sure why I'd want to use an previous release of anything rather than the latest release. If anyone know what this is, please enlighten me.

I'm also not sure about most of the other settings and options. Are there any that we should change to get the best performance and connectivity from our Note 3's?

There are a lot of menus and a lot of settings. My hope is that this forum can become a one-stop-shop for what they all mean and what they should be set at for optimal performance. So, please....post away!

Waiting for confirmation:

CA setting stands for Carrier Aggregation and MAY increase data speeds. See the great post from @nutpn here!

DRX CONTROL appears to be a protocol to reduce network utilization and reduce device power consumption. The question is whether or not turning this protocol off will help network connectivity and/or speed AND what effect it has on battery performance. I will turn mine off and see if I notice anything on either front. However, I live and work in an area with very good coverage, so I'm not sure that I'd be a good test case for the network speed/connectivity portion. I will definitely monitor battery consumption. This setting can be found under [2]UE SETTTINGS & INFO, [1]SETTING, [1]PROTOCOL, [1]AS, [4]DRX CONTROL.

Good day,

do you think that with this system I will be able to add. the band 4 to my Galaxy S5 Duos SM-G900FD ?

thanks

srkuzair

Feb 20, 2013
Huawei P30 Pro
Hi,Can Anyone Know How To Reset Samsung Service Mode,I Am Not Be Able To USE 4G(LTE) At All,It Doesn't Lock With 4G Frequencies,but be Able To Lock Any Other Frequencies,It IS A While Ago I'm Playing With Service Mode,&After That No 4G at all,I'll Tried Flashing With Stock Firmware Through Odin,but No Success,It Seems That It Saved It's Configuration File Somewhere In Internal Partion...My Device Rooted Note 3(SM-N9005) With Stock Lollipop Rom...Any Help Is Greatly Appreciated...

xdadevnube

Jun 28, 2011
Hi,Can Anyone Know How To Reset Samsung Service Mode,I Am Not Be Able To USE 4G(LTE) At All,It Doesn't Lock With 4G Frequencies,but be Able To Lock Any Other Frequencies,It IS A While Ago I'm Playing With Service Mode,&After That No 4G at all,I'll Tried Flashing With Stock Firmware Through Odin,but No Success,It Seems That It Saved It's Configuration File Somewhere In Internal Partion...My Device Rooted Note 3(SM-N9005) With Stock Lollipop Rom...Any Help Is Greatly Appreciated...
maybe flash a full factory tar. dunno if the settings are stored in efs or not, but i always back up efs before messing with anything.

tareco60

Apr 13, 2016
Hello, I have a samsung galaxy note 3 Model sm-n900v with android 4.3, purchased in the US operator Verizon, and want to change it to gsm with a sim from my operator, I can enter the service mode but not to change, thanks

awadh730

Feb 23, 2015
how can i entered to :(01-01 13:07:41.519 1520-1520/? I/ServiceModeApp_RIL: Line 2 : [2] UE SETTING & INFO_)
line 2
via adb command
or also programmaticlly such a java code

teckynerd6249

Jan 17, 2017
Now we just need to get lte-advanced to work I believe that would be band 2 I may be completely wrong I'm hoping I can use least half the aggregation of the network I'm hoping to get bands to work without having to do an update if they ever push out another one

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thought I'd start a thread to compile everything we know about "ServiceMode" into a single thread, rather than having to go all over the place to find stuff.

What I know as of now:

As of now, I'm aware that you can enable access to the ServiceMode on a rooted VZW Note 3 by editing the /efs/carrier/HiddenMenu file and changing it from OFF to ON (uppercase is required).

For unrooted Note 3's, some have said there are some apps on the play store that will access the ServiceMode, but I have not been able to confirm these work.

Once ServiceMode access is enabled:

*#27663368378# takes you to the main menu where you can change various settings...most of which I don't know what they're for.

---Tips...the 'back button did not work for me and simply closed out of ServiceMode. Use the left 'Menu' key to bring up options, including 'Back'. Also, you can create a contact with the *#27663368378 number (minus the last #) and use that contact to 'copy to dialer' and save yourself from typing that number repeatedly.

To turn off Wifi Power Saving Mode:
    Use either code above and at the ServiceMode screen, press the hard menu button, then select Wifi, then press the button under WIFI POWER SAVE MODE to turn it off.

To enable the new AWS band:
    *#27663368378# to Main Menu, select [2]UE SETTINGS & INFO, then [1]SETTING, then select [2]SYSTEM, then select [9]NEXT PAGE and then select [4]VZW LTEB4 ON/OFF and finally select [1]B4 ENABLE ()...It should change to [1]B4 ENABLE (*) with an asterisk to show it is the selected option.
    -- More information specific to the AWS settings can be found here. Thanks to @milan03

What I'm not sure about:

There is a setting under the RELEASE VERSION CONTROL menu for LTE 3GPP REL 9 and LTE 3GPP REL 10. Mine was set to REL 9, but I changed it to 10 and am going to see what happens. I google LTE 3GPP REL 10 and found some documentation. Not sure why I'd want to use an previous release of anything rather than the latest release. If anyone know what this is, please enlighten me.

I'm also not sure about most of the other settings and options. Are there any that we should change to get the best performance and connectivity from our Note 3's?

There are a lot of menus and a lot of settings. My hope is that this forum can become a one-stop-shop for what they all mean and what they should be set at for optimal performance. So, please....post away!

Waiting for confirmation:

CA setting stands for Carrier Aggregation and MAY increase data speeds. See the great post from @nutpn here!

DRX CONTROL appears to be a protocol to reduce network utilization and reduce device power consumption. The question is whether or not turning this protocol off will help network connectivity and/or speed AND what effect it has on battery performance. I will turn mine off and see if I notice anything on either front. However, I live and work in an area with very good coverage, so I'm not sure that I'd be a good test case for the network speed/connectivity portion. I will definitely monitor battery consumption. This setting can be found under [2]UE SETTTINGS & INFO, [1]SETTING, [1]PROTOCOL, [1]AS, [4]DRX CONTROL.
    So Sorry...

This thread sucks.
    The OP got me hopeful there would be some useful info in here.
    Instead its a bunch of crap back and forth "how do I."
    Does anyone have conclusive evidence that changing ANY of these settings benefits anything in any way?
    From what I see it screws up a bunch of crap and thats why folks are asking all of the stupid "HALP I BROKE MY PHONE" or "HALP MY SPEEDZ IS SUX."

Maybe need to reboot this thread.

Seriously...you come to XDA and this is the first post you ever make?! This thread contained all the information that could be found on service mode settings for a VZW Note3. I'm so sorry if the information you were looking for isn't here...but odds are if it's not here, it isn't anywhere. If you happen to find some new info that's not here, maybe you could be helpful and post it...rather than just being an jackass!

And since you didn't find any useful information here, I'm sure you'll find some valuable info here.
    @edwmsjr I have a similar thread over here (for the I9195 and many others):

[REF][ServiceMode] How to make your Samsung perform dog tricks

and the SM RF development thread:

[REF|R&D|RF] RF/Radio properties of Samsung ServiceMode

Hope it may help.
    I tried all the tricks I knew and I don't think it is possible anymore (if you are on the latest firmware). I know Phone info doesn't work anymore on 4.3 Note 2 and MJE Note 3 (which leads me to believe it should be the same on new S4 builds) because that service menu is now locked, but if you are on an older firmware it may still work.

Phone info app stopped working for me as well. I installed Advanced Signal Status on my phone yesterday and it allows you to reach the preferred network type like the Phone info did. You must be rooted to use it though...
    Forget the recent careless insult... it's a good thread. You might want to recap all the info contained in the various posts to make it easier to consult as reference.
    I posted for different reason: is this ServiceMode thread valid for SM-N9005 on the latest KK? If so, I can't find the "carrier" folder in the "efs" folder... I have root and I'm using root browser and EFX...
    Any help would be appreciated.

ServiceMode should work on most Samsung devices. You are looknig for the folder 'efs', then inside of that 'FactoryApp', and then the file 'HiddenMenu'. Open this file with a text editor on your device, change 'OFF' to 'ON', and reboot. You should be good to go.

Further, being rude and disrespectful to people providing information as a courtesy to others is not welcomed. It'd be in your best interest to take your criticisms of this thread elsewhere. (This is not directed at you ascanio1)