Media Library managment options for music and video

Search This thread

bajungadustin

Sep 18, 2009
I am running Bubbleupnp and i love it.. streaming music to my TV from my computer controlled by my phone is amazing.
a am also running XBMC for movies and TV shows.

So my question is.

What library options do i have.

options i am looking for
I would like the library to gather album and artists data much like xbmc does
I would also like a library that could check the songs DNA to find the correct name
I would like the library to be able to edit the files data to include artist/album/genre info ect.
I would LOVE a library that will delete duplicate files
I would like the library to edit the names of music to just the song title
I would like the library to manipulate the source library by changing music folders around and putting every song by the same artist in the same folder.

i currently have over 10,000 songs and only about 5000 of them are in folders. some folders are albums, some are artists, some are compilation albums (like "Misc Dubstep") and some songs i have edited by cutting off intros or long stupid outros thus removing all artist data but the songs are still recognizable by DNA...

My library has been growing and getting more and more chaotic over the last 10 years or so. its become too much of a task to even attempt this myself.

I know there are programs that will do what i want... just not sure if there is an all inclusive Library Managment software outthere that i am unaware of. i would love to stop seeing [ ? ] icons when i stream upnp music to my phone or tv

What are my options

bajungadustin

Sep 18, 2009
OK found some software and tried it out

MediaMonkey seemed good up front.. thought i had it with that one.. turned out that its more manual then automated. I clicked a file to edit and clicked on tracks with unknown artists... went to the search and hit apply.. and it changed teh album cover art, album, and artist to about 60 songs but put them all as Bach Cello suites.

after some research i did it wrong but the right way is more tedius. clicking one track at a time and updating the info you want.
so.. screw that program.

Then i found a program by accident when looking for help with the MediaMonkey called MusicBrainz
this is where its at...

now.. i dont know that it does Videos such as movies but i am more interested in the music..
So opened up and pretty straight forward..
i went into my music folder and searched for all files over 1mb (Size>1MB in the search) and moved all my music out of its containing folders
I then scrapped the leftover folders and random junk left.
Set MusicBrainz to the input folder
set the output folder to my normal music location
and set it to create folders with artist names and label the sons with only their song titles (%Artist%/%title%)

it took about 2 hours to run through the music and update the id3 tags
then that was all done the completed items go into the right pane of the program.
i selected all of them and hit save.. and boom.. its been pumping out folders for about
2 hours now with just the Artist name and no album folders. the way i like it.

I would recommend if your computer is not top notch do not try to do 10,000+ songs at once... my comp runs about 3grand 32gigs of ram and a quad core4ghz and my computer was boggin at times. also the program stopped responding if i messed with it too much.. i would recommend doing it in batches of 500 or 1000 at a time.

hope this helps someone else.. was super easy