[APP] QuickRemote IR Blaster for AOSP roms

Search This thread

drc13

Dec 19, 2012
after uninstalling the two apks you still have the boot script left - you'd have to delete it manually.
but it wouldn't do any harm to leave it there.

Thanks mate so delete the two APK's via something like titanium and delete the script from /data/local/userinit.d?

I've given it a test (both the slim and full) on my D802 with CM 8-11 nightly. It functions well but the display doesn't seem right. The background is all dark and you can barely read the text even with the brightness turned up all the way. Having not used the remote function on the stock rom is this normal?

I've uploaded a screenshot of how it looks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-11-09-08-34-09.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-11-09-08-34-09.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 649
Reactions: andmiller78

andmiller78

Dec 11, 2012
I edited the flashable zip for Carbon and other Roms, that don't have userinit.d-Support. The changes worked all right for me. My thanks go to sefnap and RieGo!

Awesome! Thanks!:good:

---------- Post added at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

thank you SO MUCH sefnap! and thank you RieGo for the flashable zip. just flashed on PA 4.3 for D801 and everything is working beautifully.

and as mentioned above- if there's any way you could get the lg camera to work, too, you would be the king. it looks like some sort of progress has been made over in this thread. the AOSP camera works well, but i'd love to have the manual focus option, and so on.

thanks again for adding this great functionality back for us! :good:

Have you tried the Lenovo Super Camera app, it is linked in the general forum under apps.

RieGo

Apr 1, 2010
Thanks mate so delete the two APK's via something like titanium and delete the script from /data/local/userinit.d?
exactly!

I've given it a test (both the slim and full) on my D802 with CM 8-11 nightly. It functions well but the display doesn't seem right. The background is all dark and you can barely read the text even with the brightness turned up all the way. Having not used the remote function on the stock rom is this normal?
that's all you get right now. we'd have to change text color or background.
maybe i'll look into it.. but it'll take a while.

Reactions: drc13

drc13

Dec 19, 2012
gypeacce temple

exactly!

that's all you get right now. we'd have to change text color or background.
maybe i'll look into it.. but it'll take a while.

Excellent thanks, no worries as long as I know it wasn't something I'd done wrong I'm fumble my way through setting it up. Thanks again for your assistance and once again sefnap for this great discovery.

EniGmA1987

Sep 21, 2010
How would you have aosp then?

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

You can unlock the phone, install custom recovery, install an AOSP ROM and then restore back the stock recovery and then remove root access. The OS will still use the AOSP base, but you will have a fully locked down phone once again.

teeg07

Oct 20, 2011
Akron
For what its worth, I tried to install the slim version and upon reboot i got the stock 'android' icon for the app and it would force close on me. I installed it once again and had the same issue.

I downloaded the large, original version and was able to install that no problem, with it working. Like others have said it has a black background, and text is hard to read when you first install a remote, but i could care less. As long as its working, that's all i care about :)

Thanks!

shcizoid

Jul 15, 2008
Working with different DPI setting

First of, BIG thank you guys.
losing the remoteapp was the only drawback for me going over to CM (half of my remotes are broken)

My system DPI setting is 320, and after i flashed the Zip the remote app went straight to force close.

By changing the DPI for this specific app to 480 with "Xposed installer" i started working flawlessly.

Once again thank you guys :)

iOSh8er

Dec 30, 2010
Hephzibah
Everything works great!

I have noticed that some remotes are missing from the one that came on my vs980. Which g2 did you pull the app from?

Support your Devs......

RieGo

Apr 1, 2010
For what its worth, I tried to install the slim version and upon reboot i got the stock 'android' icon for the app and it would force close on me. I installed it once again and had the same issue.

I downloaded the large, original version and was able to install that no problem, with it working. Like others have said it has a black background, and text is hard to read when you first install a remote, but i could care less. As long as its working, that's all i care about :)

Thanks!

First of, BIG thank you guys.
losing the remoteapp was the only drawback for me going over to CM (half of my remotes are broken)

My system DPI setting is 320, and after i flashed the Zip the remote app went straight to force close.

By changing the DPI for this specific app to 480 with "Xposed installer" i started working flawlessly.

Once again thank you guys :)

yeah, i forgot to mention this: the slim version is only for the default dpi!
i didn't really expect someone would change it :)
so if you have changed the dpi for whatever reason you have to use the original big zip. that's one part of the 100mb that i ripped off.

Last edited:
Reactions: teeg07

teeg07

Oct 20, 2011
Akron
yeah, i forgot to mention this: the slim version is only for the default dpi!
i didn't really expect someone would change it :)
so if you have changed the dpi for whatever reason you have to use the big one. that's one part of the 100mb that i ripped off.

That explains it! I run at 320 as well :)

Thanks!

yokuyuki

Sep 9, 2012
New York
You can unlock the phone, install custom recovery, install an AOSP ROM and then restore back the stock recovery and then remove root access. The OS will still use the AOSP base, but you will have a fully locked down phone once again.

Pretty much this. I still have a custom recovery to update the ROM, but I can either remove root from the flashable ROM zip or remove it via adb.

justin8490

Jan 6, 2010
Cincinnati OH
Running great over here on CM 10.2 VS980. Flashed the zip and everything was fine!

Did you flash the zip or do it the hard way? In TWRP it said installation failed?

---------- Post added at 02:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 AM ----------

Running great over here on CM 10.2 VS980. Flashed the zip and everything was fine!

Never mind. Got it to flash. Only thing is I can't get it to work. Edit: it works once I cleaned the paint off the IR blaster ?

Sent from my LG-VS980 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 03:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 AM ----------

I can't seem to select my DirecTV DVR. Has anybody else been able to?

Sent from my LG-VS980 using XDA Premium HD app
I haven't been able to find a direct tv DVR in the list of dvr's....

---------- Post added at 04:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 AM ----------

Well i watched a video of the app in use on another phone and DirecTV was an option so I guess this is a different version.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everybody! I've switched over to CM 10.2 M1 as my daily driver, but I missed being able to change the volume on my tv with my phone. So, I've managed to get the QuickRemote app from the stock ROM working on Cyanogenmod (and hopefully other AOSP roms). There is nothing carrier-specific in this, so it should work on all variants.

Luckily there is no kernel module involved in driving the IR hardware. Instead the IR chip is a black box that is controlled via an internal serial port interface. The QuicksetSDK.apk package includes the code to control the IR chip. It creates a Service that the LGQRemote.apk app binds to to send commands to the IR hardware.

Installation
    This will only work on rooted devices.
    To get this working you'll need to install two APKs:

You'll also need to add a script that runs on device boot.
    You can download mine here: 10QuickRemote

Or just make one yourself, containing this code:
    Code:
    #!/system/bin/sh

chmod 666 /dev/ttyHSL1
    setprop persist.sys.lge.eula_agreement true

This makes the serial port accessible to non-system processes. On the LG stock rom the QuicksetSDK package runs as the system user, but here we're running it as a normal unprivileged user, so we need to make the serial port world-readable and writable. We also use the 'setprop' command to tell the QuickRemote app that we've agreed to LG's EULA, otherwise it will attempt to launch a non-existent EULA activity and crash.

I'm not 100% sure how the init.d system works on other AOSP roms, but on Cyanogenmod, you can place this script in the /data/local/userinit.d directory (creating the userinit.d directory if necessary). The script should not have an extension, and should be executable.

A quick method that works on CM, assuming you've downloaded my 10QuickRemote script to your current directory:
    Code:
    adb root
    adb shell "mkdir -p /data/local/userinit.d"
    adb push 10QuickRemote /data/local/userinit.d
    adb shell "chmod 755 /data/local/userinit.d/10QuickRemote

For the above to work, you'll need to enable root for adb in Settings > Developer Options > Root Access

After a reboot, you should be able to use the QuickRemote app just like on the stock ROM!

If the app crashes right away, or if it launches but won't send any IR commands or learn new ones, your start-up script probably isn't being executed properly. Try running it manually and see if things work:

Code:
    adb shell
    --- inside adb, as root:
    # sh /data/local/userinit.d/10QuickRemote

# ls -l /dev/ttyHSL1
    --  result should be: 
    crw-rw-rw- system   system   245,   1 2013-11-06 08:20 ttyHSL1

# getprop persist.sys.lge.eula_agreement
    --  result should be:
    true

If running it manually works, make sure the script is executable or it won't be called automatically on boot:
    Code:
    -- inside a root shell
    # chmod 755 /data/local/userinit.d/10QuickRemote
    If it is executable and still doesn't work after a reboot, and you're running a non-Cyanogen ROM, they probably do init scripts differently. Hopefully you can google up how to make it work ;)

If everything looks correct and it still won't work, send me a logcat and I'll try to figure it out.

Enjoy!
    update: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=49083111

old version:

Flashable ZIP:

QRemoteG2_v6_unsigned.zip
    info:
    -extracted from leaked kitkat build, only tested on 4.4 ROMs
    -reduced size by removing unneeded help videos and optimizing pngs
    -works with all ROMs that have init.d support (or use "universal init.d")
    -reflash after ROM update depends on ROM (same as gapps), known to work: CM + AOSPA
    -does not work with ART
    -key sound is fixed

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5oN6i68oB0RYVlBQXNwWWpTQ1E/edit?usp=sharing
    mirrors: http://mir.cr/9QS3M4NJ

QRemoteG2_slim3_unsigned.zip
    info:
    -reduced size to ~25MB by removing unneeded help videos and smoothing graphics
    -all color problems should be fixed
    -works with all almost all ROMs (480dpi), including kitkat, but has to be reflashed after ROM update
    -if it doesn't work for you you can try using "universal init.d" or a similar app. (or ask your rom developer to add init.d kernel support)

Download: http://d-h.st/wmQ
    mirrors:
    https://mega.co.nz/#!W1ZXSI5Q!WBE89XwMGN-PQBXG2n5mWWicsW8TKKIc7oSiesmA-xs
    http://mir.cr/F6VEGLJH

CM special version (survives a ROM update, but works on CM only):
    https://mega.co.nz/#!e1ZzSYza!FwtByg-dQpa8buHxjEgejnFc1lYRkebjjRBFP_-7IQ8
    nice job!
    i made a quick flashable zip package:
    http://www43.zippyshare.com/v/86147127/file.html (new slim mod)
    -> http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=47500016&postcount=94
    (installs in data partition so it should survive a rom update)
    alright, i trimmed the apk a bit, so here is the new one which is much smaller (162MB->52MB):
    http://www43.zippyshare.com/v/86147127/file.html old
    -> http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=47500016&postcount=94
    you can just flash it over the last one if you like.
    You should not notice any difference to the big one. i just removed unused resolutions and optimized the drawables.
    i guess carbon has no userinit.d support.
    you could try to move the 10QuickRemote userscript from "/data/local/userinit.d/" to "/system/etc/init.d/" with any root explorer.
    only downside to this method is the script gets removed after flashing a new rom

I edited the flashable zip for Carbon and other Roms, that don't have userinit.d-Support. The changes worked all right for me. My thanks go to sefnap and RieGo!
    http://www14.zippyshare.com/v/4583863/file.html