[MOD] AOSP/CM 5.0.8 Mms.apk with puzzle lock support

Search This thread

s0niqu3

Feb 23, 2005
First off, all credit on figuring out this mod goes to untermensch, thanks a ton!

Please see his post here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=8542257&postcount=6114

So, this is the Mms.apk from Cyanogen Mod 5.0.8 (taken from the nexus 1 build) and modified to support the samsung puzzle-lock messaging notifications!

UPDATE 10/12/2010: added a smaller, faster version, with all images optimized, cut the file-size almost in half. New version is "Optimized_CM_5_0_8_with_puzzle_Mms.apk" though I'm leaving the original file attached to the post for anyone that wants to test both files.

For anyone that's never used an AOSP/CM android rom, you can see screenshots of the app here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/113127051130934911253/AndroidCM508MMS?feat=directlink

If you already use an AOSP/CM mms.apk, this can be pushed right on top of your existing apk.

To install if you still use the touchwiz mms apk, either use adb/terminal/root explorer to delete your existing mms.apk from /system/app then reboot, and uninstall "com.android.mms" then reboot into recovery, and clear cache and dalvik-cache.

Reboot one last time, rename this apk Mms.apk, and adb push to /system/app

Cheers everyone, and thanks again to untermensch for making this possible!

Last edited:

brandnewsimmy

Jun 12, 2007
Awesome thanks for sharing your findings! Just pushed it to Bionix 1.7 and MMS seems to still work and have the puzzle piece. After getting so used to that puzzle piece I go nuts without it haha.

s0niqu3

Feb 23, 2005
Updated the OP with a smaller, faster version with all images optimized, cuts the file-size almost in half.

Cheers everyone, =)

kuhan

Aug 26, 2010
I've never actually used Stock Android. Can I get some screenshots to see what it looks like? Don't want to change it if I don't end up liking it :D

s0niqu3

Feb 23, 2005
I've never actually used Stock Android. Can I get some screenshots to see what it looks like? Don't want to change it if I don't end up liking it :D

Hi,

I posted a link in the OP to some screenshots. The biggest thing for me, is that instead of making delivery reports a notification that has to be cleared after every sms/mms, it shows an icon, in-line with the message text, that changes based on status (pending, delivered, error, etc.)

Also, this does not use the "chat bubbles" like the touchwiz mms app. Personally, I don't really care for them in the touchwiz mms, since it truncates long messages, forcing you to click each message to view the full text.

Anyway, hope this helps, cheers, =)

kennyp987

Apr 16, 2007
nyc
I followed you installation instructions but did not see the app named com.android.mms after deleting mms.apk and rebooting i didnt see it in titanium or the stock app manager...now i pushed the file but it wont show up after restarting 3 times? Did i do something wrong? And yes i wiped cache and dalvik cache twice

Vibrant - Bionix 1.9.1 - JAC's Xmod kernel v1 - ext2 lag fix

s0niqu3

Feb 23, 2005
I followed you installation instructions but did not see the app named com.android.mms after deleting mms.apk and rebooting i didnt see it in titanium or the stock app manager...now i pushed the file but it wont show up after restarting 3 times? Did i do something wrong? And yes i wiped cache and dalvik cache twice

Hi,

I've never run into that before, everytime you remove/delete an apk from /system/app it should leave residual data. Granted, this is from a terminal/shell approach, I don't personally use titanium, root explorer, etc. but do almost everything from an adb shell.

The only thing I can suggest is try deleting the mms.apk again manually, from a shell, and reboot and then go to /settings/applications/manage applications and hit menu, change filter to all, and then search for anything that looks like com.android.mms

Sorry about that, not sure why its not working for you, do you run a custom rom?

cheers, =)

kennyp987

Apr 16, 2007
nyc
Hi,

I've never run into that before, everytime you remove/delete an apk from /system/app it should leave residual data. Granted, this is from a terminal/shell approach, I don't personally use titanium, root explorer, etc. but do almost everything from an adb shell.

The only thing I can suggest is try deleting the mms.apk again manually, from a shell, and reboot and then go to /settings/applications/manage applications and hit menu, change filter to all, and then search for anything that looks like com.android.mms

Sorry about that, not sure why its not working for you, do you run a custom rom?

cheers, =)

Yes bionix 1.9.1

creator2456

Jul 12, 2010
Chicago
OnePlus 8T
Confirmed working in Bionix Fusion 1.0.

s0niqu3:.

I know I posted this to Viral when he made the mods to the Mms.apk back in Bionix 1.7ish to get it black, but it never got fixed. The background color of MMS content (easily seen when adding audio) is still a light blue. Think you can change it to black to match?

Attachments

• snap20101019_110119.jpg
    snap20101019_110119.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 163

rbirg

Jul 26, 2010
Thanks for this. I tried following the instructions but it didn't cooperate. My mms.apk was still there after reboot. So I just replaced it with the new one using root explorer. Seems to work without a problem. Running Fusion 1.0

sent from my Vibrant - Bionix Fusion 1.0

xanderdad

Mar 26, 2010
Works great for me. I had to use adb to push it though, root explorer wouldn't install it.

So nice to get rid of that cartoon like Samsung app!

synaesthetic

Aug 14, 2010
Oakland, CA
Works great for me; Bionix 1.9 OC/UV/Voodoo.

I want the TW MMS icon though... the AOSP icon looks stupid.

Edit: Switched them with the pretty TW icons (used larger/higher res icons from each apk, picking the best ones). Works perfectly!

Last edited: