**Unofficial and slightly maverick British Z2 Thread.**

Search This thread

5nakedoc

Oct 19, 2010
Metrocity
As every other country seems to have one, I thought I would start a British one. Loving my Z2 but I do have a few small issues which I hope will be resolved with software updates. Sometimes when I'm listening to music, the Track ID app would randomly open. I have removed this app. Today, Sony connect kept launching for no reason. My Phone had been "up" for 355 hours so I rebooted which seems to have resolved this issue. Still no sign of software update. I am currently on .55.

I came from the S3 as I was uninspired by the S5 but there are a few things I miss, such as having the settings menu from the bottom left key. I also do not like the way notifications and short cuts are split up. I am yet to test the waterproofing but am looking forward to taking some under water photos when I go on holiday later in the year.

Your impressions of the phone? What do you like and dislike about it? Have you had your free speaker yet?

Reactions: poo-tang

HOmERCIdAL

Sep 15, 2008
The only issue I have had with my contract phone from 3 Uk is that it has froze 3 times in two days which required me to hold power and the volume up to reboot it.
It may have just been a rogue app misbehaving as it hasn't happened again.

There is an annoying nag with Audio sync issue when shooting 4K. I have a genuine Sandisk SDXC class 10 card which should be fast enough but there is clearly a audio lag of a second. It is also there when choosing internal storage too so it isnt the card.

I too came from the S3. Didn't like lagwiz but did like the community on here for flashing Roms. I suppose I really wanted, as close to, a stock Android experience and Sony has done a good job.

Stalkalainen

Jul 21, 2012
I too came from a S3. I was running CM nightlies and got fed up of the poor camera (not cm's fault) and lack of device support.

On a sim only 3 UK handset.

One niggle I have is the lack of full screen widgets, or at least no option to make them go full screen.

For example dashclock starts minimized which I found really annoying. To remedy this I am using Acdisplay which handles notifications really well. Be warned it does conflict with lightflow. I like it as it adds a screen before my pin where I can preview messages et al and launch directly into the app when sliding up.

I also really miss full screen artwork when playing music as well.

Apart from this I am pretty happy with the handset, I haven't felt the need to swap to a custom launcher yet nor have I had the need to flash and get on a non-UK .402 release just to be "the most up to date"

waynekirby

Nov 11, 2010
Barnsley
Nice thread, just received my 2nd Z2 a couple of hours ago, my previous one had the 'multiple touch issue'. Couldn't even text on it. I'm hoping that this one doesn't decided to go crazy one me...

Edit: I'm also with 3 and I received my BT speaker today as well. A black one too, kinda wanted a white one with me getting the white phone, but I'm not too bothered.
Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

5nakedoc

Oct 19, 2010
Metrocity
I got my free speaker today and I am well impressed! Been listening to my music at work and it has a lovely bass sound.

mujj

Jun 1, 2012
Confirmed update stock branded O2 UK

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Free mobile app

Attachments

• 1401798203308.jpg
    1401798203308.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 587

Stalkalainen

Jul 21, 2012
Ah congrats!

I have no idea what 3 are like with updates. If the unbranded FTF before becomes available I may flash that

poo-tang

Nov 21, 2011
www.xperiagamer.com
Great thread, now I can say what I think about these country specific monstrositys as it's my right to be here in the British section :).

Time to tread carefully so not to offend or have the race card mentioned but..

I have always disliked the fact other countries decide even though XDA is an English speaking communitie and every user has a common interest, they must be different and have there own threads. It kinda disappoints me that no moderator can stand up and say enough is enough, we are all Android enthusiastics here so let's not discriminate against others and be the one community that can join together as a hole.

I understand about the fragmentation in Android but does it need to effect the XDA forums too?

Last edited:

Kamran9558

Dec 30, 2008
The only issue I have had with my contract phone from 3 Uk is that it has froze 3 times in two days which required me to hold power and the volume up to reboot it.
It may have just been a rogue app misbehaving as it hasn't happened again.

There is an annoying nag with Audio sync issue when shooting 4K. I have a genuine Sandisk SDXC class 10 card which should be fast enough but there is clearly a audio lag of a second. It is also there when choosing internal storage too so it isnt the card.

I too came from the S3. Didn't like lagwiz but did like the community on here for flashing Roms. I suppose I really wanted, as close to, a stock Android experience and Sony has done a good job.

I had the similar freeze issues on my 3 firmware, flashed a generic UK FW and everything is perfect since then. Give it a try. I even got few gigs of extra space on my phone memory which was filled by junk apps.

---------- Post added at 02:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

Great thread, now I can say what I think about these country specific monstrositys as it's my right to be here in the British section :).

Time to tread carefully so not to offend or have the race card mentioned but..

I have always disliked the fact other countries decide even though XDA is an English speaking communitie and every user has a common interest, they must be different and have there own threads. It kinda disappoints me that no moderator can stand up and say enough is enough, we are all Android enthusiastics here so let's not discriminate against others and be the one community that can join together as a hole.

I understand about the fragmentation in Android but does it need to effect the XDA forums too?

As far as I understand , the point of country specific threads is to discuss issues like shipping info, special country specific offers, country related firmwares and operator issues which are of no benefit to anyone from any other country. They are not to discriminate rather they try to streamline certain problems. :)

Last edited:

rowlers

Nov 20, 2010
Coming from S3 too!
Still on .55 firmware, but I'll be rooting ASAP, well as soon as know I have no immediate h/w issues.
I too miss quick access to the settings, but I'll get used to it.
I also miss being able to switch to 2g, maybe this comes with the .402 update?
Look forward to a busy Z2 forum ;)

strommy1966

Mar 5, 2012
Great idea for this a British thread ! i came from a rooted S2 running Omega V23 ROM and an Apollo Kernel. Had the phone for 3yrs . i like the size of the Z2 .. but not happy about the screen. i use the phone outside a lot and on a bright day i find it almost impossible to see the screen. The camera on the Z2 is fantastic ! :D such an improvement over my old S2 . i tend to find i loose the wifi signal on the Z2 a fair bit . checking emails it will just loose the connection. i am still on .55 will flash updates soon and see if it corrects the wifi issue . i hope soon that a way will be found to back up the TA partition so DRM keys can be saved . we shall see . :good:

Dec 1, 2011
I hope you don't pay taxes in all 3 ...

Sendt fra Q XPERIA Z2 D6503

Haha.. I have income in two of the three countries - so yes I pay tax in two countries. No income in Canada so no tax there!

Cheers to that. Dual citizen (UK and 'Murica) here!

Cheers pal!

Seeing as I permanently reside in the UK - I think this thread is for me. I've moved from the iPhone to the Samsung Galaxy S2/3/4 and now onto the Z2. I can honestly say this is the best phone I have ever owned! Battery life, camera, size, premium feel, what more can I ask for? Got a SmartWatch 2 to go with it and I love the combination, along with my new bluetooth speakers (free thanks to 3!) and of course the Google Ecosystem which keeps me connected everywhere to everything work and personal.

Love this thread too by the way :cyclops:

5nakedoc

Oct 19, 2010
Metrocity
I'm liking the love lol. I too am thinking of getting a smart watch. What do we think of the Sony? Are they a waste of money and just a gimmick?

Q.Entity

Nov 17, 2010
Dallas
The one that came with my Z1 was never used. Just not much a watch person and don't want one more thing to remember to charge...

Incidentally, I don't live in the UK but since all my phones come from Clove, I think I can participate on this thread ;)

Reactions: 5nakedoc

Devzz

Oct 13, 2012
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone here could tell me what the official length of support for the Xperia Z line is please? Obviously I got the Z2 but after reading about Xperia and how Sony properly over the past few weeks, I see they said they are now to release a new phone/flagship every 6 months. I have a feeling I *may* have made a mistake getting this phone in that case! Unless someone can confirm Sony has a 18-24 month support on devices in the UK, I don't see why I should keep a phone that may be redundant in the next 10 months regardless of development support.

Thanks in advance!

waynekirby

Nov 11, 2010
Barnsley
They've always had 1/2 year flagships, I wouldn't worry about it

2011 - Arc > Arc S
2012 - S > T
2013 - Z > Z1
2014 - Z2 >??

Recently they've not been so bad with updating older phones, some delay at times. But nothing to worry about IMO

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As every other country seems to have one, I thought I would start a British one. Loving my Z2 but I do have a few small issues which I hope will be resolved with software updates. Sometimes when I'm listening to music, the Track ID app would randomly open. I have removed this app. Today, Sony connect kept launching for no reason. My Phone had been "up" for 355 hours so I rebooted which seems to have resolved this issue. Still no sign of software update. I am currently on .55.

I came from the S3 as I was uninspired by the S5 but there are a few things I miss, such as having the settings menu from the bottom left key. I also do not like the way notifications and short cuts are split up. I am yet to test the waterproofing but am looking forward to taking some under water photos when I go on holiday later in the year.

Your impressions of the phone? What do you like and dislike about it? Have you had your free speaker yet?
    The one that came with my Z1 was never used. Just not much a watch person and don't want one more thing to remember to charge...

Incidentally, I don't live in the UK but since all my phones come from Clove, I think I can participate on this thread ;)

They've always had 1/2 year flagships, I wouldn't worry about it

2011 - Arc > Arc S
    2012 - S > T
    2013 - Z > Z1
    2014 - Z2 >??

Recently they've not been so bad with updating older phones, some delay at times. But nothing to worry about IMO

Thanks for your reply! Yeah I understand what you mean but what does it look like in your opinion in terms of this time next year-ish? This phone is overkill in terms of being able to run the next few Android versions so I do hope it will be supported at least till Sept 2015. :fingers-crossed:

Edit: Nevermind, I had a look at past devices, particularly the Z and it looks like it has been updated from 4.1.2 to 4.4 with 4.4 rolling out ~end of may. 14-ish months is good enough support I guess :)
    Sold mine as I just couldn't stand seeing the digitiser every time we had some sun and don't miss it one bit the s5 screen blows it out of the water mind you I have a g3 coming tomorrow
    Don't you have to unlock and invalidate your warranty to flash firmware from another region? Sorry if it's a dumb question, this is my first Sony phone and with HTC, you certainly did. (Couldn't even root without unlocking and invalidating your warranty.)

No, it's a very straight forward flash (as if you did it officially - difference being you might be putting on a Generic Europe ROM, or one from Asia or Russia).

You get the Flashtool app (http://www.flashtool.net/index.php), download a ROM (.FTF file) from one of the many threads in this section, and then update - opting to do a full wipe or keep the data intact. The ROM will be around 1GB and the update time will maybe be 15 minutes or so.

If the ROM you choose doesn't get updated quickly next time, just swap to another.

There ARE some variations. Some will have the NFC logo on when enabled (others keep it hidden). Some also show the mobile data icon on the same basis. Some will show LTE instead of 4G. Some ROMs may have pre-loaded apps that can be deleted easily enough.

Ultimately, no warranty is lost and you can get the update straight away.