[Q] Warranty dilemma with Verizon

Search This thread

dapimpinj

Apr 18, 2008
Hey guys, i recently bought a phone off of eBay and added insurance on it through open enrollment at Verizon. It was a refurb phone for Assurion. Now the issue is that the screen sometimes become unresponsive and requires me to shut the screen of and turn it back on in order for it to function (The screen never has issues with the spen though). Upon calling Verizon, i was still rooted and it looks like they can actually look through you phone and see if you have root and what applications you have include safe strap. I pretended that i didn't know what the guy was talking about and told him i had nova launcher and that was probably my problem. I then performed a clean Odin factory stock wipe and the phone is back to normal. The knox hasn't even been tripped. When i called back verizon the guy told me "it looks like the phone was rooted the last time you called and now it's absolutely clean. I'm sorry, but because it was rooted, you're warranty is void". Always unroot before you call in!

Do you guys think i can contact Samsung and have them fix this issue for me? I doubt they will know if im rooted if i remove it all before i send it right

krazy_smokezalot

Sep 24, 2010
Washington DC
What!??? ??????

Sent from my SM-N900V

---------- Post added at 12:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 AM ----------

Who you speak to miss cleo? ?????

Sent from my SM-N900V

jmc2543

Jun 25, 2010
TN
Google Pixel 4a 5G
This is something new if they did in fact see that you were rooted. Part of me wonders if the rep was pulling your chain to see if you'd slip a hint that you were rooted.

dapimpinj

Apr 18, 2008
This is something new if they did in fact see that you were rooted. Part of me wonders if the rep was pulling your chain to see if you'd slip a hint that you were rooted.

He definitely was not lying. The first rep i spoke to about 2 weeks ago was naming all the apps i had! He mentioned safestrap, superuser, along with other apps that had nothing to do with rooting. He made it personal to which you can tell he was looking at what i had. Also, the second time the guy had me update My Verizon Mobile. This is what they use to get access to your phone. Be warned everyone!

jmc2543

Jun 25, 2010
TN
Google Pixel 4a 5G
I wonder how this is legal. It's they can see apps installed what else can they see? My pictures, my documents? And what keeps them from only accessing my phone when I call in for support?

---------- Post added at 01:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 AM ----------

Ok I found how they are doing it, my verizon mobile update gives them access. Can we say uninstall. But to answer your question, no samsung won't know. id just backup and reset to stock anyways. You figure you will be turning it in to them anyways.

dapimpinj

Apr 18, 2008
I wonder how this is legal. It's they can see apps installed what else can they see? My pictures, my documents? And what keeps them from only accessing my phone when I call in for support?

---------- Post added at 01:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 AM ----------

Ok I found how they are doing it, my verizon mobile update gives them access. Can we say uninstall. But to answer your question, no samsung won't know. id just backup and reset to stock anyways. You figure you will be turning it in to them anyways.

OK, I will try contacting Samsung today. The only issue is that I'd have to be without a phone for 2-3 weeks :(. Also about the my Verizon mobile, they ask you to download it or update it in order to allow them to troubleshoot your phone (they don't tell you that's the reason, they just ask you to update it).

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
Remember...warranty and insurance are 2 different things. If in the TOS they list having the right to refuse warranty service due to unauthorized software modification, then that is Verizon's right. If after restoring stock it still has an issue then you have nothing to lose by trying Samsung.

repsol_23

Jan 24, 2011
He definitely was not lying. The first rep i spoke to about 2 weeks ago was naming all the apps i had! He mentioned safestrap, superuser, along with other apps that had nothing to do with rooting. He made it personal to which you can tell he was looking at what i had. Also, the second time the guy had me update My Verizon Mobile. This is what they use to get access to your phone. Be warned everyone!

This is why you should not grant verizon mobile superuser rights i believe. The last update to Verizon mobile asked for these rights on my phone and I said no. I have a feeling that this is how they can see what you have on your phone.

Just my. 02

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

airmaxx23

Jun 25, 2010
Colton, NY
Hey guys, i recently bought a phone off of eBay and added insurance on it through open enrollment at Verizon. It was a refurb phone for Assurion. Now the issue is that the screen sometimes become unresponsive and requires me to shut the screen of and turn it back on in order for it to function (The screen never has issues with the spen though). Upon calling Verizon, i was still rooted and it looks like they can actually look through you phone and see if you have root and what applications you have include safe strap. I pretended that i didn't know what the guy was talking about and told him i had nova launcher and that was probably my problem. I then performed a clean Odin factory stock wipe and the phone is back to normal. The knox hasn't even been tripped. When i called back verizon the guy told me "it looks like the phone was rooted the last time you called and now it's absolutely clean. I'm sorry, but because it was rooted, you're warranty is void". Always unroot before you call in!

Do you guys think i can contact Samsung and have them fix this issue for me? I doubt they will know if im rooted if i remove it all before i send it right

I recently called because I was having proximity sensor issues. I immediately explained to the technician all of the steps I've taken to try to fix the problem and he agreed that I had everything possible so he was just going to issue a new device to me. I was still rooted at the time but he did not check my apps. Verizon has been doing this for a few years now but if you're smooth on the phone and explain all the steps you've taken upfront you can avoid them checking your apps. Google is able to do the same thing.

dapimpinj

Apr 18, 2008
I recently called because I was having proximity sensor issues. I immediately explained to the technician all of the steps I've taken to try to fix the problem and he agreed that I had everything possible so he was just going to issue a new device to me. I was still rooted at the time but he did not check my apps. Verizon has been doing this for a few years now but if you're smooth on the phone and explain all the steps you've taken upfront you can avoid them checking your apps. Google is able to do the same thing.

Awww man, I know that this is a hardware issue and the root did nothing to it. I realized that this is an assurion replacement as the sticker on the inside of the phone says that. It looks like they didn't fix the phone correct when sending it to the previous owner. Debating if I should add insurance through the open enrollment Verizon is having and just submit a claim. And before anyone says "that would be warranty fraud since you already have an issue"... Keep in mind that assurion issued this phone with issues so technically I should get a free replacement.

airmaxx23

Jun 25, 2010
Colton, NY
Awww man, I know that this is a hardware issue and the root did nothing to it. I realized that this is an assurion replacement as the sticker on the inside of the phone says that. It looks like they didn't fix the phone correct when sending it to the previous owner. Debating if I should add insurance through the open enrollment Verizon is having and just submit a claim. And before anyone says "that would be warranty fraud since you already have an issue"... Keep in mind that assurion issued this phone with issues so technically I should get a free replacement.

Call back and when you can say what option you would like say "cancel service", you'll immediately get transferred to their "do what we can to keep you as a customer" department. Explain to them the issue you're having and that yes, the phone was rooted, but it has been returned to it's original software and the issue is still there. Tell them that you were unaware that rooting your phone would void the warranty and that you've had issues since receiving the replacement. It's worth a shot and may work.

dapimpinj

Apr 18, 2008
aithe 2362289 said:
Call back and when you can say what option you would like say "cancel service", you'll immediately get transferred to their "do what we can to keep you as a customer" department. Explain to them the issue you're having and that yes, the phone was rooted, but it has been returned to it's original software and the issue is still there. Tell them that you were unaware that rooting your phone would void the warranty and that you've had issues since receiving the replacement. It's worth a shot and may work.

Thank you for helping out. This sounds like a good idea. Although I still have about 1 year left of service left so they may use that against me. I also cancelled the $3 extended warranty yesterday since it was rendered "useless". The sad part is the only reason I rooted the phone was to increase the maximum output for the volume.

airmaxx23

Jun 25, 2010
Colton, NY
Thank you for helping out. This sounds like a good idea. Although I still have about 1 year left of service left so they may use that against me. I also cancelled the $3 extended warranty yesterday since it was rendered "useless". The sad part is the only reason I rooted the phone was to increase the maximum output for the volume.

When you first call ask them how much it would cost to cancel your service, then they'll ask why at some point.

jmc2543

Jun 25, 2010
TN
Google Pixel 4a 5G
I would talk with Verizon and see what they say. Unroot first though. Should be fine. When assurien sends phones out they are refurbished so still claimable.

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

saddog5523

Jun 2, 2011
Jonesboro, AR
its very important to read the instruction of warranty. if you do anything out of the warranty rule then your warranty will void. for this read the warrany book before using the phone. thanks

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1399057346177.jpg
    1399057346177.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 163

dapimpinj

Apr 18, 2008
When you first call ask them how much it would cost to cancel your service, then they'll ask why at some point.

Thanks for you reply man, i really appreciate it. Before calling, i decided to try something out. I took apart the 12 screws on the back of the phone and pried the back off with my finger nail. Then i disconnected the LCD/Digitizer ribbon cable and blew some air there, i then re-fastened it and mad sure to push a little hard on it. I've been running strong so far for 15 minutes and everything is working smoothly with no touch screen issues! Let's hope it keeps working :highfive:

Borderpatrol1987

Dec 5, 2012
CIncinnati
I called vzw to get another battery, and according to them, using strong wifi results in more battery usage than poor LTE. First I've heard that.

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Free mobile app