Unable to cast netflix

Search This thread

luizm.jr

Sep 29, 2010
I used to use the netflix on daily basis until about three weeks ago I started to get the following message after a long time displaying the netflix splash screen on my TV: "Humm... It seems we're unable to connect". And then the netflix closes after 10 seconds. Every other chromecast official app works good, but Netflix. I also noted that if I restore the chromecast and launch netflix, everything will work. But if I cast other app, as YouTube for instance, and then return to netflix, I'll get the problem again, requiring another restore.
My chromecast software version is 16664.

Is anyone experiencing the something like that?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
I used to use the netflix on daily basis until about three weeks ago I started to get the following message after a long time displaying the netflix splash screen on my TV: "Humm... It seems we're unable to connect". And then the netflix closes after 10 seconds. Every other chromecast official app works good, but Netflix. I also noted that if I restore the chromecast and launch netflix, everything will work. But if I cast other app, as YouTube for instance, and then return to netflix, I'll get the problem again, requiring another restore.
My chromecast software version is 16664.

Is anyone experiencing the something like that?
Just to confirm, you're not using any DNS relocation/redirection (Unlocator, Unotelly, etc), right?

I just used Netflix the other day, and I'm still on 16664.

It's weird that everything else works except for Netflix, and also weird that factory reset makes it work. Could be a bug or perhaps something with WiFi connectivity. You don't have a WiFi repeater or multiple APs using the same SSID do you?

luizm.jr

Sep 29, 2010
Just to confirm, you're not using any DNS relocation/redirection (Unlocator, Unotelly, etc), right?

I just used Netflix the other day, and I'm still on 16664.

It's weird that everything else works except for Netflix, and also weird that factory reset makes it work. Could be a bug or perhaps something with WiFi connectivity. You don't have a WiFi repeater or multiple APs using the same SSID do you?

I use regular DNS. I also tried different WiFi routers and I always got this issue. Rarely Netflix works without need factory reset.
I was wondering if it could be a problem with the chromecast cache. Do you know a way to clear the cache without factory reseting?

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
I use regular DNS. I also tried different WiFi routers and I always got this issue. Rarely Netflix works without need factory reset.
I was wondering if it could be a problem with the chromecast cache. Do you know a way to clear the cache without factory reseting?
Not that I know of... however, since the Netflix app is stored on Chromecast, there's a small possibility that it's a RAM or NAND issue on your Chromecast itself. If it's not rooted or special in any way, you might want to consider getting it replaced.

Or see if you can borrow another Chromecast to see if the problem is localized to your specific device.

luizm.jr

Sep 29, 2010
Not that I know of... however, since the Netflix app is stored on Chromecast, there's a small possibility that it's a RAM or NAND issue on your Chromecast itself. If it's not rooted or special in any way, you might want to consider getting it replaced.

Or see if you can borrow another Chromecast to see if the problem is localized to your specific device.

This is new for me. I thought Netflix was loaded online. I'll ask a friend that has chromecast to test mine in his home and and borrow his chromecast.

I'll let you know the results tomorrow.

Thanks

luizm.jr

Sep 29, 2010
I borrowed a chromecast and first time it worked. After casting YouTube videos and then return to netflix, same thing happened. My friend got everything working great using my chromecast.

The only thing that never changed is my cable modem, but I never change anything on it. Moreover, why this is happening only with netflix and why it works if I factory reset are still a mystery.

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
I borrowed a chromecast and first time it worked. After casting YouTube videos and then return to netflix, same thing happened. My friend got everything working great using my chromecast.

The only thing that never changed is my cable modem, but I never change anything on it. Moreover, why this is happening only with netflix and why it works if I factory reset are still a mystery.

Perhaps you are seeing the first case of Net Neutrality biting you in the ISP?

See if you can reach Netflix via the browser...

luizm.jr

Sep 29, 2010
I don't think so. I can access netflix anywhere else: tablet, phone, ps3 and computer. Besides, my friend use the same isp.

The only other place I having trouble in access netflix is my old Asus cube that I had retired since I got the chromecast last year.

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
I don't think so. I can access netflix anywhere else: tablet, phone, ps3 and computer. Besides, my friend use the same isp.

The only other place I having trouble in access netflix is my old Asus cube that I had retired since I got the chromecast last year.
Quite the puzzle...

Since your Chromecast works on your friend's network, and your friend's Chromecast shows the same behavior as yours on your network, the breakage factor definitely seems to be something about your network.

I really can't think of your cable modem being an issue unless isn't going bad (if it has an interface, look for excessive errors and/or poor signal quality - for example, Motorola SurfBoards usually have an interface at http://192.168.100.1/).

As your friend is using the same ISP, I would compare your router settings with his - ISP login type, routing and DNS in particular.
Of course if you have different routers then the router itself is still a variable.

luizm.jr

Sep 29, 2010
I'll try to share my mobile Internet connection as soon I get back home to see if it will do the same.

Also I'll try to look the router log to see something.

luizm.jr

Sep 29, 2010
I tested chromecast connecting to my phone in tethering mode. Netflix worked everytime. But when I got back to my regular connection, the problem appeared again.

So the problem seems to be located in my cable modem that also is a router.

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Ok first question...do you have another router connected to the Modem Router? Are you using the Modem's built in WiFi or this other router's?

If you have another router then chances are likely you have a double NAT situation which is messing you up.

Check your other router and see what IP address is has listed under Internet connection...If it is a 192.168.xxx.xxx then it's a double Nat and you need to call your Cable company and have them put the Modem into Bridge mode.

If you do not have another router and use only the Modem router then you need to call the cable company and have them change the settings on the router to allow multicast and UPnP...Maybe a few other settings as well. Tell them what you are trying to do they have probably gotten lots of calls from others with the same issue.

Me personally I prefer to use my own router and have them put the Modem into Bridge mode so I have full control over the network and don't need to call them whenever I have a problem or want to change settings.

Reactions: luizm.jr

luizm.jr

Sep 29, 2010
Ok first question...do you have another router connected to the Modem Router? Are you using the Modem's built in WiFi or this other router's?

If you have another router then chances are likely you have a double NAT situation which is messing you up.

Check your other router and see what IP address is has listed under Internet connection...If it is a 192.168.xxx.xxx then it's a double Nat and you need to call your Cable company and have them put the Modem into Bridge mode.

If you do not have another router and use only the Modem router then you need to call the cable company and have them change the settings on the router to allow multicast and UPnP...Maybe a few other settings as well. Tell them what you are trying to do they have probably gotten lots of calls from others with the same issue.

Me personally I prefer to use my own router and have them put the Modem into Bridge mode so I have full control over the network and don't need to call them whenever I have a problem or want to change settings.

My cable modem a public IP provided by my ISP, and a private IP that is 192.168.0.1. My router has a WAN IP provided by my cable modem (192.168.0.xxx) and a LAN IP 192.168.1.1. My chromecast used to be connected in my router LAN, but I changed it to connect directly to the cable modem router. I'll try to put the cable modem in bridge mode to see what happens as I have full access to its configuration.

Thanks again

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
My cable modem a public IP provided by my ISP, and a private IP that is 192.168.0.1. My router has a WAN IP provided by my cable modem (192.168.0.xxx) and a LAN IP 192.168.1.1. My chromecast used to be connected in my router LAN, but I changed it to connect directly to the cable modem router. I'll try to put the cable modem in bridge mode to see what happens as I have full access to its configuration.

Thanks again

Yep that setup causes a double Nat situation Which doesn't work well for most networking applications....
Especially since you are also dealing with Two different Wireless networks.

Best setup is to have the modem just be a modem and send public IPs to whatever connects to it.
Then you won't have any Nat translation issues PLUS you get the ability (if your Modem has multiple ports like most Modem/Router Hybrids do, You can get a public IP for any device directly connected to the Modem which is good for running servers and for testing router issues.

luizm.jr

Sep 29, 2010
Problem solved!

I turned off the wifi on the cable modem and put it on bridge mode, letting my router deal with my network. Netflix is now working good on both chromecast and Google tv.

However I believe the problem was related to a still unknown setting in the cable modem as I left it operating alone and netflix was still not able to load.

Thank you very much for the help. I really appreciate it.

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Problem solved!

I turned off the wifi on the cable modem and put it on bridge mode, letting my router deal with my network. Netflix is now working good on both chromecast and Google tv.

However I believe the problem was related to a still unknown setting in the cable modem as I left it operating alone and netflix was still not able to load.

it may very well have been a Router issue with the Modem...But now that it is only a Bridge the other router's settings will handle all the communication needed for the CCast and it should work...
As long as the settings on the second router were not the issue in the first place.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks again

Yep that setup causes a double Nat situation Which doesn't work well for most networking applications....
    Especially since you are also dealing with Two different Wireless networks.

Best setup is to have the modem just be a modem and send public IPs to whatever connects to it.
    Then you won't have any Nat translation issues PLUS you get the ability (if your Modem has multiple ports like most Modem/Router Hybrids do, You can get a public IP for any device directly connected to the Modem which is good for running servers and for testing router issues.
    Problem solved!

it may very well have been a Router issue with the Modem...But now that it is only a Bridge the other router's settings will handle all the communication needed for the CCast and it should work...
    As long as the settings on the second router were not the issue in the first place.