Rhobuntu: Ubuntu 9.04 and Debian (test) UPDATE [19/09/2010]

Search This thread

Broman400

Wifi still won't work, even with the newest build on my Tilt 2, I open the terminal and type in iwlist eth0 scan essid linksys, on my router page is said the SSID is linksys. After that I click enter and then click the icon next to the time and click refresh and it tells me: No wireless networks found.

Also, my router is encrypted with WPA2 Personal.

phhusson

Recognized Developer
Jul 23, 2009
Paris
Wifi still won't work, even with the newest build on my Tilt 2, I open the terminal and type in iwlist eth0 scan essid linksys, on my router page is said the SSID is linksys. After that I click enter and then click the icon next to the time and click refresh and it tells me: No wireless networks found.

Also, my router is encrypted with WPA2 Personal.

It's iwconfig eth0 essid linksys that you're supposed to run I think.

honestgabe00

Aug 22, 2009
Some observations from a lay-user

So I'm not a dev, but I can contribute some lay-user observations :D WiFi works great with the auto-search work around. Firefox works pretty well. Basic pages load about as fast as a mobile browser, but in full desktop format. Heavier pages however take very long to load, if they ever do. Firefox often becomes unresponsive on and off while loading, and unresponsive script notices pop up during heavier page loads also. I was able to install Firefox Add-on Adblocker Plus (an older version). While I'm not sure how well it was working, Firefox said it was working fine. I also think Firefox worked slightly faster than Midori. SDcard files are fully accessible after mounting.

As far as battery life goes, 1 hour of use with Wifi uses up roughly 20-25% of battery life (with the backlight on all the time, obviously). I think this is quite respectable. (Just to clarify, this is with the stock TP2 battery.)

And about future development, I don't really think any of the flashy Ubuntu portable versions will do anyone any good. I like using a full desktop OS on my phone. However, instead of a finger friendly version of Ubuntu, I think the ability to move the cursor around the UI would be much more useful.

Thanks to everyone working/contributing! You are all my heroes.

dcnqw

Aug 19, 2007
wont boot with haret i tried. it came in a .img file and i just renamed it "Ubuntu" and it started then gave me an error. so that maybe as far as that goes. unless we can get a linux cammand expert to help us force mount.

I wonder if Maemo 5 might run, given it is pretty much a phone linux environ? Not sure how much hardware overlap there will be with the Nokia's though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maemo_5#Maemo_5

Also see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=25975 where ubuntu was (much to my surprise also!) made to run on the Nokia tablets a year ago! Maybe some helpful stuff there?

walter79

Recognized Developer
Dec 18, 2006
After installing XFCE4 i can see that dynamic cpu switch works.

CPU sitch from 245 Mhz to 320 Mhz to 400 Mhz to 528 Mhz and back.

kwikit

Feb 6, 2010
Bahhh...
WEP doesn't work in android -_-'
I'll have to seek in the forum to see how he got it working I guess... (ie wpa_supplicant or just iwconfig thekey ?)

OK, read through all 42 pages finally... I will try to help as I can because I want to get Ubuntu working completely on the TP2.

Fantastic that you got WICD to work... I'll see if I can get Network-Manager to work.

WEP works in Ubuntu. WPA2 also works in Ubuntu. I have them setup on a system. Do they work on the TP2? Don't know yet if they will properly. I managed to fenagle Ubuntu Studio 9.10 onto my Viliv X70 and the only way to get the Marvell wifi to work was to use a manual method, neither WICD nor NM worked, which taught me a good bit about the commands. There's a lot of good info on Ubuntu and Networking out there. Good info on touchscreens also. Drivers are the real concern. Commands, you can find instructions all over.

Link not alowed: ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202834 I'm not sure all of this is correct, or even the WPA2 / WEP parts, but it's pretty close, so trial and error should resolve the issues.

Link not allowed: ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=571188 This looks like it has valuable information on the manual how-to for networking, but it's not the resource I referenced. You'd need WPA_Supplicant.

Looking at the Keyboard in the HWLIST txt file that was posted, it looks like the system treats the phone as having 2 keyboards... maybe the FN set is keyboard 2?

Hardware Buttons?
I: Bus=0019 Vendor=0001 Product=0001 Version=0100
N: Name="gpio-keys"
P: Phys=gpio-keys/input0
S: Sysfs=/class/input/input0
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=kbd event0
B: EV=3
B: KEY=40 0 0 0

Keyboards - main keyboard for common characters I believe
I: Bus=0000 Vendor=0000 Product=0000 Version=0000
N: Name="rhodium-keypad"
P: Phys=
S: Sysfs=/class/input/input2
H: Handlers=kbd event2
B: EV=3
B: KEY=800 c0800 0 0 0

Software Keyboard? Or Keyboard 2?
N: Name="microp-keypad"
S: Sysfs=/class/input/input4
H: Handlers=kbd event4
B: EV=120033
B: KEY=10000 0 0 0 0 0 0 80 900000 0 40000800 800016c0 0 21ff47f d3ff4ffc
B: MSC=10
B: LED=102
B: SW=1

Touchscreen I'm almost positive.
N: Name="tssc-manager"
S: Sysfs=/class/input/input1
H: Handlers=mouse0 event1
B: EV=b
B: KEY=400 0 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: ABS=11030003

Bombenbach

Sep 4, 2009
I modified the root/.bashrc to enumerate all input devices for tslib, to enable devices that have the touchscreen not at /dev/input/event1 (like Raphael)

Nice! I'll test on Rhodium and if it doesn't cause any problems, I'll be glad to it. It would be really nice if Rhobuntu would run on Raphael too (at least with the appropriate Raphael kernel)

Hi all

I have downloaded the Flash ActiveX installer in .deb format but I am having problems installing it. I don't seem to be able to open it from the desktop. I want to see what Firefox can do with some heavy flash sites.

Also, is there any right click in the latest build?

Thanks

andrew-in-woking

As phhuson already said, at the moment our video driver is pretty crappy which means that flash probably won't work properly. One of our next goals is to get the Rhodium Android video driver working on Rhobuntu. After that we could try to mess with flash.

I don't think there's an ARM build for flash, is there?
I might be wrong, but I guess you can play at least Flash 9 on an ARM system. Sharp Netwalker, for instance, is an ARM netbook running Ubuntu and it can play flash. Check this out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhYLVDFM_5M

Now we can all use VNC as a alternative for testing stuff ;P

Cheers!

Great Job! Would you be so kind to add a small HOWTO concerning VNC to our wiki (see my signature). We really want people like you to share their achievements on Rhobuntu which may be interesting for other users.

wont boot with haret i tried. it came in a .img file and i just renamed it "Ubuntu" and it started then gave me an error. so that maybe as far as that goes. unless we can get a linux cammand expert to help us force mount.

Thanks for the idea. I'll try it out too. Let's see, how far it can boot :D

After installing XFCE4 i can see that dynamic cpu switch works.

CPU sitch from 245 Mhz to 320 Mhz to 400 Mhz to 528 Mhz and back.

Well, that's interesting. I wasn't even aware of the fact that dynamic switching works. Thanks for digging it up :cool:
I guess I should try XFCE4 too.

My phone is HTC Touch Pro 2 RhodiumW, CDMA/GSM. How do I make a cdma ppp connection? :confused::confused: Should we have turned on the WIFI in WINMO before running HARET?:confused::confused:

As far as ppp is concerned, check out the wiki
http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=RhodiumUbuntu#Getx20.3Gx20.working
WiFi: It doesn't matter whether WiFi is on or off in WinMo

I will try to help as I can because I want to get Ubuntu working completely on the TP2.

Great! We really need all the people we can inspire for this project :)

Last edited:

HTCdemon

May 30, 2008
If I may recommend something ( which I've sorta already done....to a point ) is that for the next build release that It'll be cleaned up. I noticed there was a lot of leftovers that were really not needing to be there ( games from previous installs and such ) that could reduce the actual build size a bit.

Just a suggestion.

icemanbv

Oct 24, 2007
Brasov
Bombenbach,

can you make a build with virtual keyboard on it? I would love to make further tests on my Topaz (Diamond2)?

Thanks.

Top Liked Posts